Gaming channels im not too big of.

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
Steamflogger Boss

Re: Gaming channels im not too keen of.

Post by Steamflogger Boss »

Good timing with my last post and this video that popped into my suggested this morning: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNa-TthAp5E
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

My Life in Gaming has done some genuinely good stuff like when they tracked down the Tom Dubois, the illustrator who did a lot of classic Konami cover art, for an in depth interview. Or when they did an extensive interview with the M2 Shottrigger team in Japan.

I mean I wouldn't have the patience to sit there and binge watch their lengthy videos, but they don't crap out click bait shill videos or lazy superficial stuff. You can tell they put time and effort into it. So yeah definitely not quite fair to lump them in with the whole blight of shitty youtubers who are ruining everything idea.

Tom Dubois interview:
https://youtu.be/dw-SPY4n0s8

M2 stuff:
https://youtu.be/DKkCTB2eWRw

https://youtu.be/jc5DlOkOcU4
KimagureMachibuse

Post by KimagureMachibuse »

Blinge wrote:shenmue 3 is a terrible game and i've wasted my life "
this is quote of the year, the amount of people who were okay with the state of shenmue 3 as a whole was very concerning to say the least.
Mortificator

Post by Mortificator »

Okay, I may need to reevaluate my opinion that the NES port is wimpy compared to the arcade
RegalSin wrote:You can't even drive across the country Naked anymore
neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

I've put in a lot of hours watching these videos.

Those guys from the Seattle area are just business men dressed up as gamers. Most of them, when showing footage of their gameplay play absolutely shit. You would think that if you own a basement the size of a tennis court full of millions of mint games on rows and rows of shelves, that they would actually be pretty decent at the games.

One of the better channels I've liked is SNESdrunk. He just talks about the games, shows you some interesting levels and you never see where he is broadcasting from.

I don't mind the channels where they go on hunts, as long as every video doesn't have the title "Grail found". One thing I have found about gaming hunts is that on the USA side of the Atlantic you see a guy turn up with $4000 of cash and then buy everything and then punch it into pricecharts where it comes up he's got $10000 worth of games. So this is where I find it a bit funny, because those folk selling these games just need a phone to find out how much they are worth and sell accordingly. But no, in the USA everyone selling plays the dumb card. On the UK side of the atlantic, someone will go into CEX and buy a game for £4 and sell it for £8 online. You will not find anyone in the UK selling holy grails for £15 and some youtuber selling it on for £2k.

Maybe some USA members can tell me if the USA sellers are really that silly that they will openly sell a product for 15% of what it goes for online? I get it if the person is 78 years old and it was the kids 1991 present for Xmas that just got lost in the attic. But kids selling to kids, I don't buy it.
This industry has become 2 dimensional as it transcended into a 3D world.
Creamy Goodness

Post by Creamy Goodness »

I mainly watch Game Sack and Shmup Junkie these days. I think they put out quality videos. I like watching SNESDrunk, but he hasn't been very consistent with content recently. I'll watch MJR pickup videos mainly for Switch stuff, but not much else. Seems like these days most of his videos are him just going to stores and buying stuff he probably is getting the hookup on in exchange for publicity.

One guy I tried to watch was Happy Console Gamer, but I just can't. His coked up mannerisms combined with all too often jizzing about a game for 15 minutes before actually telling you what the game is is real unappealing.

I also tried giving Cannot Be Tamed a shot. It's weird, she seems to enjoy games, but appears as if she knows nothing about them. Her videos are basically 15 minutes of her superficial opinions on games. But she does have those redonculous cans so there is that.

What I want to know is what these people do for a living. Like how do they bring in income, play a bunch of games, and create content especially when they spend a shit ton on games.
BryanM

Post by BryanM »

This all reminds me of the time youtube was hammering me with ads for possible gamer chick's DeStInYfOmO channel. Eventually I, being a weakling, gave in and clicked to investigate what was up. And my impression was that someone had a gamer shelf, and this chick maybe played a video game once when she was in middle school, maybe. The entire thing seemed fake and intended to manufacture an audience for... something else. Which turned out to be... an OnlyFans account! ... Fake gamer girls do exist. I'm as shocked as you are.

On the absolute opposite end of the spectrum is Food4Dogs. She got into gaming at the age of a million seventy eight, and makes these mellow little videos where she shows off her games, figurines and assorted nerdjunk and calmly talks about the stuff. I guess she's a bit of a weeb since she really likes stuff like Disgaea and loves anime style art. It's somewhat alien to most game content - she has a gamer shelf, shows off her physical media, and is affluent as fuck, yes. But the shelf isn't a background prop, and there's never any game footage. Watching a video is like sitting down on a couch in grandma's house, and sipping tea while she mentions she didn't like Seraphina as much as Rozalin.
Cannot Be Tamed
I liked her videos where she read mean comments.

When you try to extract opinion and emotion from a game review, yeah it's gonna be pretty dry. It's a very different philosophy from someone trying to make actual entertainment.

... maybe I should give Felix the Cat a shot one of these days. My addiction to shit games and complaining is too high for that, I'm afraid.
What I want to know is what these people do for a living. Like how do they bring in income, play a bunch of games, and create content especially when they spend a shit ton on games.
Some are dependents, some are capitalists and therefore unemployed by definition (but wealthy), some are retired, and some don't make a lot of videos. AVGN had it as a full time job in the early days, that poor tosser.

There's this one girl who plays SNES games on emulators and is mainly in it to have people tell her she's pretty. The people in the Cinemassacre Truth forum hated her guts lol. I'm like what, she at least plays the shit. Is she going to get that kind of attention forever? Of course not. They're so mad there's someone out there enjoying life.

Most gamer channels are dead I guess. The lady who speedran some Harvest Moon runs comes to mind.

However DeceasedCrab, famous for the La Mulana Let's Play, is not dead. Contrary to what you'd think would happen to you if you knew Dragon Slayer Family inside and out. 15 years and still going strong... wow...

Anyway, weekends do exist. If one still has any energy left by the time they reach one.
orange808

Post by orange808 »

It's still mystified that anyone has time or patience to watch any of this stuff.

There's so many things to do. I wish I could live forever, just to do and try everything on my list now--and it's still growing. Reading information is so much faster than watching these videos.

I also refuse to click on most videos because I know people get paid. I consciously avoid it. I'm not going to support a royalty scheme for a line of "work" I don't respect. Everyone is trying to be an "influencer", so they can get rich doing nothing but what they love. We're all born grifters, but I'm not going to play into your grift. I know most people aren't getting millions, but everyone is trying. I'm not going to support it.

It makes me smile that so many YouTubers think their little videos are valuable IP worthy of paychecks, but they're okay with stealing roms. I'm biased, but I hold software/game development in high esteem; on the other hand, posting little videos on the internet making observations (sharing opinions) isn't in the same category. Everyone has an opinion and most anyone can play a video game. It's all technically IP, but it's not all equal.
We apologise for the inconvenience
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

yeah but watch my vids tho, i don't get money :wink:
1cc List - Youtube - You emptylock my heart
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

BryanM wrote: ... maybe I should give Felix the Cat a shot one of these days. My addiction to shit games and complaining is too high for that, I'm afraid.
???
Felix the Cat is a brilliant game!
Pretty much its only failing is that it's far too easy, and floods you with 1UPs on top of that.
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

orange808 wrote:It makes me smile that so many YouTubers think their little videos are valuable IP worthy of paychecks, but they're okay with stealing roms.
The horror. Pathetic human swine.
Leandro

Post by Leandro »

Steamflogger Boss wrote:All of them are shit.
Agreed. I think the only funny one I've seen is one dude who reviews old school FPS. Civvie I think, but even then, I've never watched him again.

Lately I've been using Youtube to listen to music and seeing videos of women pole vaulting and long jumping. This shit, Instagram etc are all destroying my mind.
KimagureMachibuse

Steamflogger Boss wrote:All of them are shit.

Could not agree anymore with you.

Additonal Channels worth mentioning

Happyconsole a gaming channel with his very phony online persona.

Dreamcastguy's content is mainly just an endless amount of tall tales in his videos

RGT 85 videos are pretty clickbaity

Gamesack Im not much big of a fan of on mainly with joe
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

https://youtu.be/OipJYWhMi3k

Ahoy

In my opinion this is the gold standard of gaming videos on youtube. Nothing can reach him.
Rob

Post by Rob »

The HappyConsoleGamer hate is unreal. Seems like a genuine guy to me.
neorichieb1971 wrote:Maybe some USA members can tell me if the USA sellers are really that silly that they will openly sell a product for 15% of what it goes for online? I get it if the person is 78 years old and it was the kids 1991 present for Xmas that just got lost in the attic. But kids selling to kids, I don't buy it.
I've been hitting up garage sales over the past few years and have bought and sold a lot. Yes, you can find people selling a wide variety of quality goods for cheap if you spend a lot of time looking and are quick about it. The US is flooded with junk and a lot of people just want their junk gone (so they can buy new junk).
Lander

Post by Lander »

These days I find myself mostly following analysis channels that put out long, verbose video essays which take an equally lengthy amount of time to produce - Mandalore, Raycevick, Sean Seanson, Whitelight, Tehsnakerer, and similar. Perhaps some SsethTzeentach if you enjoy a heaping helping of tongue-in-cheek shitposting on the side.

I've yet to find a channel that uploads daily / weekly and isn't full of clickbait or other low-effort content that inevitably causes me to bounce. I thought Modern Vintage Gamer was alright for a while since he has some technical indie dev stuff going on, but the slew of You've Probably Never Heard Of X / You Won't Believe Y / We Need To Talk About Z video titles is quite off-putting.
Blinge wrote:Ahoy
Seconded - you have to be patient for a new upload, but when they do arrive they're nothing but quality.
The guy clearly knows a thing or two about motion graphics too, since there's always a nice clean visual accompaniment.
neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

Rob wrote:The HappyConsoleGamer hate is unreal. Seems like a genuine guy to me.
neorichieb1971 wrote:Maybe some USA members can tell me if the USA sellers are really that silly that they will openly sell a product for 15% of what it goes for online? I get it if the person is 78 years old and it was the kids 1991 present for Xmas that just got lost in the attic. But kids selling to kids, I don't buy it.
I've been hitting up garage sales over the past few years and have bought and sold a lot. Yes, you can find people selling a wide variety of quality goods for cheap if you spend a lot of time looking and are quick about it. The US is flooded with junk and a lot of people just want their junk gone (so they can buy new junk).
You can buy more junk with pricecharts pricing than you can by letting it go for peanuts though. USA does have big basements and attic spaces though and I'm sure a lot of it is worth quite a bit in the gaming world. Those "Grail" videos aren't hitting the right audiences.
MJR

Post by MJR »

I just came here to say that most of the reputable people here don't seem to give two shits about morons on youtube.

Youtube is cancer.

If there is anything I want to know about shmups that I don't know yet, I come to the shmups forum.

I can't think of bigger waste of time than watching some random idiot with Dunning-Kruger talking shit about things he only knows on the most superficial level.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

As a moron on youtube all i can say is; I'm trying :lol:
MJR

Post by MJR »

Blinge wrote:As a moron on youtube all i can say is; I'm trying :lol:
Why did you have to break my narrative of us vs. people on youtube..? I was so comfortable with it :lol:
Since you are a long-time poster, I have no choice but to accept the possibility that you might actually know what you are talking about. After all, you being a long-time shmups forum regular I must consider you as someone who is well-informed ;)

Very well then, not ALL the people on youtube are morons. Only a vast majority.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

I'm well informed on precious few topics,
but i'll guard them savagely :lol:
Lander

Post by Lander »

If we're speaking on behalf of vaguely-defined yet clout-inducing groups of posters, I'll appoint myself local spokesman for disreputable upstart whippersnappers - someone has to, after all.

Our collective position is that standard mainstream media rules apply - the more humans occupy a given problem, the more wank it becomes due to rule of averages.
Ergo... YouTube is quite wank, yes, but not exclusively.
KimagureMachibuse

all that matters is you try hard enough i suppose :lol:

I mentioned him once before but Silent rob is one of the many few channels on youtube that i find is actually good and humorus.

here is one video of his.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=y-IEHZBePao

his content is certainly nothing like the snorfest of most gaming channels like happyconsole gamer or metal jesus
Rob

Post by Rob »

neorichieb1971 wrote:Those "Grail" videos aren't hitting the right audiences.
What's an example of these videos?

The most grail-like garage sale find for me this year:

Came with the Sega CDX branded bag (can sell for $200 alone) and a stack of games with one of the more valuable ones included.
neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

Rob wrote:
neorichieb1971 wrote:Those "Grail" videos aren't hitting the right audiences.
What's an example of these videos?

The most grail-like garage sale find for me this year:

Came with the Sega CDX branded bag (can sell for $200 alone) and a stack of games with one of the more valuable ones included.
I am referring to the garage sale sellers. They are obviously not watching the "grail" videos otherwise that CDX would have cost you 20x more.l
Lander

Post by Lander »

With fine results - your magic-only / pacifist videos were most entertaining. I can hear the Ahoy influence in the presentational style, but with a more conversational tone that better suits a commentated playthrough.

Also, congratulations on surpassing the much-coveted 669 subscriber threshold.
thchardcore

Post by thchardcore »

Retro tech. I said it.
A camel is a horse designed by a committee
Rob

Post by Rob »

neorichieb1971 wrote:I am referring to the garage sale sellers. They are obviously not watching the "grail" videos otherwise that CDX would have cost you 20x more.l
That one I paid up for ($500) but the overall value of the stuff is closer to $1500. The guy was the original owner and does reselling pretty seriously (buys storage lockers) so definitely not ignorant of the resale value of things. I guess some people prefer to deal in person and avoid all of the hassles of online selling (eBay fees, shipping costs, scammers, etc. - any sales over $600 are automatically reported to the IRS now, which might also deter people who want to avoid paying taxes).

I don't know how things go in the UK, but thrift stores like Goodwill have no shortage of crap to deal with. For some people it's worth a weekend to get some cash for things they would otherwise just throw away. For some it's a social/community thing. Undoubtedly some people would choose to sell at value if they knew exactly what they had. There was one story recently of someone donating a sealed copy of the first Legend of Zelda to Goodwill, which they sold at auction for $411K. I wouldn't be surprised if the buyer didn't actually pay, but still not an item to casually toss out.
KimagureMachibuse

Rob wrote:The HappyConsoleGamer hate is unreal. Seems like a genuine guy to me.
For a guy who was incredibly biased in his reviews like the Shenmue 3 review lying to the viewer.

his incredibly fake personality in his videos not to mention how he presents his appearence and looks like I do not blame the hate.

Another person who i cant stand much is AVGN the guys hairline has simply shown its age and looks like its about to escape his head there really is a lack of effort in those recent videos not to forget about all the shady stuff in the past
Rob

Post by Rob »

Those are some catty critiques in your second line. I can understand if people don't like his enthusiasm for so-so games or whatever, but "phony" is an odd charge. It's just a casual and generally upbeat channel.

Shenmue 3 was very lame but I can't remember what he said about it. What did you take issue with?