Gaming channels im not too big of.

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
Sumez

Re: Gaming channels im not too big of.

Post by Sumez »

Lander wrote:
Blinge wrote:I was tempted to make a rebuttal video pointing out the times he's actually wrong or just genuinely taking a swing at him.

but..yeah i'm not sure who benefits from such nonsense. would that toxify my image?
my youtube following doesn't know me for the shitlord i am.
things to consider. :lol:
Solution: Make a rebuttal, but be unassailably scholarly about it. Image intact, worthwhile content created, inner shitlord sated, and FILTHY WRONGUNS duly quashed :mrgreen:
Yeah just use that sexy british voice to your advantage
BIL

Post by BIL »

^ Another salient point! A Britishman must be reminded from time to time how sexy he sounds, otherwise, he is like to forget. Image AWRIGHT GUVNA, FAAAAAACK, 'ATS A ROIGHT LOAD A CANT INNIT Image
ChurchOfSolipsism

Re: Gaming channels im not too keen of.

Post by ChurchOfSolipsism »

BIL wrote:I'm so glad I never gave one iota of a speck of shit about any of these people. As if neckbearded shelf queens weren't insufferable enough in print, now you can see and hear them! Holy fuck no thanks

Don't me wrong though, I do like hearing others bag on 'em, please continue Image

Now here is a dude I trust :cool: AMURRICA! FUCK YEAAAA
n0rtygames wrote:[The wife] once asked me "whats a shoryuken?" so I gave her a real life demonstration. Except she was too close on the spin. So I actually SRK'd her. With full vocalisation too...
Lander

Post by Lander »

BIL wrote:^ Another salient point! A Britishman must be reminded from time to time how sexy he sounds, otherwise, he is like to forget. Image AWRIGHT GUVNA, FAAAAAACK, 'ATS A ROIGHT LOAD A CANT INNIT Image
Very true! Why, back in the mists of 2018 I had opportunity to fly out to sunny Los Angeles for a nerdy linux convention, and had just such an exchange.

There I was, manning the booth, chatting to passerby about our nerdy phone linux, and a dude comes up to me apropos of nothing and is just like:

Hey man, with that accent, you need to head to the bar and pull some chicks.
They'd be all over you.

And then he disappeared off into the aisles, like some sort of mysterious self-esteem elemental.

Moral of the story: Chick magnet innit.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Man you are klling it with them GIFs! That one's going next to me trusty "phwoaaar.gif" Image :cool:

I am inspired to finally spruce up this old mucker Image Even though tbh, ol' Bixby is quite the overheating blast furnace of carnal fury even in stills!
Lander wrote:Moral of the story: Chick magnet innit.
Bless that man. You ever hear the one about Michael Caine being mistaken for an absolute drug-slinging madman in the 60s? AZNs dig it too! Image
Triple Lei

Post by Triple Lei »

(Warning: extreme pettiness to follow!)

Not a fan:

Madlittlepixel - Seems like he rambles on just long enough to satisfy some YouTube algorithm. And how do you go on for 11 minutes comparing Famicom-on-NES adapters and fail to realize you're putting the cartridge in backwards on one of them? Really rubs me the wrong way. Or it maybe it's just that golf ball-sized facial hair on his chin, I dunno. Still, I'd be lying if I said I didn't find my way back to his videos every now and then for a quick review on something...

Rerez - Okay, so his videos are well made and his personality isn't super-annoying. But if you're gonna go on for nearly 20 minutes talking about the Famicom Disk System, you'd better call it by its proper name! C'mon dude, it's right on the front of the device and "FDS" is an initialism that's been around forever. Absolutely goddamned no one calls it the "Disk Drive." Unforgivable.

Very much a fan:

GTV Japan - Probably the authority on the retro scene in Japan, and not necessarily just on video games. You could even click on a topic you'd have no knowledge of or interest in and come out impressed because the videos are always well-made and thoroughly researched. Consistently good stuff, even if he did rip on Gaming Historian that one time, grr.

Jeremy Parish - Discovered this guy, like, yesterday. No-nonsense and high-quality. Gonna have to get his book some time.
ChurchOfSolipsism

Post by ChurchOfSolipsism »

Lander wrote:mysterious self-esteem elemental.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
n0rtygames wrote:[The wife] once asked me "whats a shoryuken?" so I gave her a real life demonstration. Except she was too close on the spin. So I actually SRK'd her. With full vocalisation too...
Austin

Post by Austin »

Triple Lei wrote:Rerez - Okay, so his videos are well made and his personality isn't super-annoying. But if you're gonna go on for nearly 20 minutes talking about the Famicom Disk System, you'd better call it by its proper name! C'mon dude, it's right on the front of the device and "FDS" is an initialism that's been around forever. Absolutely goddamned no one calls it the "Disk Drive." Unforgivable.
I used to follow this channel but bailed out when I realized it's 100% style over substance. Production value and polish is great.. when the content is actually there to back it up. He tends to gloss over a lot of details and doesn't even call things by the right names, as you pointed out.
Triple Lei wrote:Jeremy Parish - Discovered this guy, like, yesterday. No-nonsense and high-quality. Gonna have to get his book some time.
Jeremy's stuff is good, especially from a historical standpoint, which is probably the most interesting aspect of his videos. I've especially been enjoying the SMS coverage lately, which really puts into perspective how competitive the platform was compared to the NES in North America, in the first year or so it was out.

His lack of gaming skill in certain cases does color his opinions on certain games in a negative way, but it's a minor gripe. If anything, seeing him complain about a game because of the perceived difficulty, has on multiple occasions motivated me to give said game a try just to see how well I can do at it. Gun.Smoke on NES is one I fired up after seeing him get wrecked in his video, and I ended up thoroughly enjoying it and got a 1CC after a couple hours of toying with it.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Triple Lei wrote:if you're gonna go on for nearly 20 minutes talking about the Famicom Disk System, you'd better call it by its proper name! C'mon dude, it's right on the front of the device and "FDS" is an initialism that's been around forever. Absolutely goddamned no one calls it the "Disk Drive." Unforgivable.
Why would you not call the FDS a disk drive? That's what it is, and I'm pretty sure I've done it on multiple occasions, as would most other people.
Lander

Post by Lander »

BIL wrote:Man you are klling it with them GIFs! That one's going next to me trusty "phwoaaar.gif" Image :cool:

I am inspired to finally spruce up this old mucker Image Even though tbh, ol' Bixby is quite the overheating blast furnace of carnal fury even in stills!
Good old Señor Cejas. And Bixby is certainly no slouch - there's no finer encoding of the desire to purchase quality goods at killer prices :mrgreen:
BIL wrote:Bless that man. You ever hear the one about Michael Caine being mistaken for an absolute drug-slinging madman in the 60s? AZNs dig it too! Image
Ha! Sorry luv, wrong kind of sugar :lol:
Triple Lei

Post by Triple Lei »

Sumez wrote:
Triple Lei wrote:if you're gonna go on for nearly 20 minutes talking about the Famicom Disk System, you'd better call it by its proper name! C'mon dude, it's right on the front of the device and "FDS" is an initialism that's been around forever. Absolutely goddamned no one calls it the "Disk Drive." Unforgivable.
Why would you not call the FDS a disk drive? That's what it is, and I'm pretty sure I've done it on multiple occasions, as would most other people.
It's a disk drive, sure, but it's not the product name. By calling it "The Famicom Disk Drive" right at the start, the guy signals to me that (1) maybe he doesn't really know what he's talking about, (2) maybe he doesn't really care what he's talking about, and (3) maybe he's just so lazy that he'll say "Drive" instead of "System" to save himself from saying one extra syllable, so I for one am not going to stick around. He could've at least properly introduced it as "The Famicom Disk System" and then said "disk drive" every instance after. I suspect he realized his mistake at one point because the title of the video has the right name, but the description still says "disc drive." Yes, spelled with a "C" even, no doubt to piss me off even further, as well as cover all possible searches. Argh!

Not unrelated: GTV put out an interesting video a while back just on the Famicom name...
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Ah, gotcha. I just read your comment on the video and it sounded like you meant something else.
neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

I think everyone that collects Japanese games needs to watch this -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKVX0FcxZr0

Anyone who collects American games needs to watch this -

https://youtu.be/XwDp1dwCNoc?t=5776
This industry has become 2 dimensional as it transcended into a 3D world.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

The two countries of the world: Japan and America
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

I skimmed the thread. Pretty much agree AFA the Metal Jesus stuff and MLIG et al. It's basically aimed at younger folk to capitalize on gaming zeitgeist. Can't stand it.

Most of the gaming youtubers I still watch are more video essayists. hbomberguy, Josh Strife Hayes (who is a Twitch guy with a youtube channel), Big Beak Entertainment. Some fantastic content there. If for nothing else it helps me fall asleep.
Lander

Post by Lander »

Roll up, roll up, one and all :o

Witness the spectacle of a once-decent analysis channel detonating into ME ME ME narcissism with a side of Buy My Sex Toys Fellow Degenerates over the course of one fatal Outer Wilds review:

WARNING: A huge battleship is approaching fast according to the data it is identified as Total Breakdown (TSFW, NSFL)

Outer Wilds is very good, but would have been better served by an actual™ enumeration of its merits.
But then, what would I - someone who is not literally shaking rn - know about the qualitative aspects of video game critique :roll:
Sima Tuna

Post by Sima Tuna »

That reminds me of another channel that used to be ok and then became complete shit.

Horheristo.

He started out as a talented gamer who would post no-damage runs, all boss no-death clears, speedruns etc. Very much similar to Iconoclast.

But then he discovered underage coomers. He realized he could make a lot more money by posting hentai to youtube, mildly censoring it and then hiding the name of the hentai behind a paywall (yes really.)

He was eventually banned for this behavior and came back under a different name. I forget which it is now, but it's good that I forgot (edit: It's Kusmek or something-I looked it up). There's a reason I am not linking to his videos. If you go to his channel, the algorithm will start recommending you his videos and they are EXTREMELY haram. His new cash cow seems to be inflation fetish shit. Usually with furries. He posts all this stuff on youtube, again for the benefit of underage coomers with disposable income.

So this is the story of how an Iconoclast-style expert gamer became an inflation fetish coomer. His channel/business practice is honestly predatory.
BryanM

Post by BryanM »

Since this is the sanctioned AVGN thread, I think this is the right place to talk about the slobs.

One of the things the slobs are renowned for doing is taking classic thumbnails of videos, and changing them. To a stock layout with the cover of the cartridge to the left, with James making a dumb face on the right with a bold outline around him.

I think they seriously thought there was an algorithm running at Youtube that searches for faces and outlines and shit on images. Dumbest thing I ever heard, they know something works, but not why it works.

How the recommendation algorithms work is by tossing users into buckets based on what they watch; we're not really special snowflakes, we're predictable bastards. If something starts trending with a lot of views, it will begin to snowball and youtube will promote it. So a bunch of AVGN watchers were tricked into thinking there were new videos because the thumbnail was different, clicked on it, and then other dweebs like them (like me) had this old cat food appear in their recommends too.

So it's the images that people click that determine trending. Not Google burning through GPU's like crackers doing unnecessary and overkill image recognition nonsense.

And what do people click on? Things they think are interesting/cool/cute/sexy. When I was a kid I used to hate how boring the covers of movies always were, at the video rental shop. Almost all of them were of the human cast looking out, just standing there. No beautiful illustrated art like Starwars or Godzilla had sometimes. Nothing interesting to look at. I'd take the "teal and orange while explosions happen in the background" any day over that.

So the point is they really didn't have to do something so horrid. Just make an image that's somewhat interesting and has good saturation+contrast on its color, and they can catch the normies.

-------

I do feel bad for the nerds responsible for the site. I did a survey for them once, gave them feedback on how much I disliked it recommending things I've already seen. They botched the survey, and when I let them know they were lovely about it and paid me my money.

The site has come a long, long way since then. It used to be a struggle to find anything interesting, but now... if you're not careful, you can often end up like this. It's better than ever, but corporate is soiling it in other ways, particularly with ads and revenue sharing.

(Big lol at the anti-adblock stuff informing the computer illiterate normies that they can block ads. If 92% of your users don't even know what a browser plug-in is, there's no possible way they're not losing more of them than they're gaining from the ~3% who have adblock. It's gotta be a tiny number of them that've folded.)
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

[quote=KimagureMachibuse post_id=1505374 time=1664665220

My Life in gaming : I think is pretty bland but i still have some things to say like they are escentially responsible for jacking up the pricing of most if not any old school tube tv, these tv's are not worth that much on their own but them hyping up this stuff certainly does affect how much they go for online and results in people hoarding these things.

[/quote]

I don't really like most of the people you mentioned, for various reasons. Nothing personal or anything. It may seem petty, but I cannot stand the main guy's voice from MLiG.
The blonde guy. Just drives me up the wall.

I watch Shmup Junkie (however, his sense of humor can get really cringe, and he seems over rehearsed). And I watch a bit of Electric Underground, but he's pretty elitist, and rags
on some things I like. But I'll watch those two time to time.

I watch some streamers, but I don't watch a lot of "gaming" channels. Unless I'm looking into hardware reviews or whatnot.
There's a guy.... like Pixel Cherry Ninja (I could have that wrong). I don't like his delivery or much else, but he's good at updating stuff with the MiSTer.
Last edited by evil_ash_xero on Thu Jan 11, 2024 6:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
BryanM

Post by BryanM »

I found a little gem of a channel from 20 years ago recently. Sometimes the best entertainers quit way before their act gets stale.
Lander

Avoid (success at all costs)

Post by Lander »

Well, Bardic Broadcasts has finally fallen prey to the Streamer Self Parody* effect :( was hoping he was an integral enough individual not to let it happen, but it did.

* A phenomena whereby finding success in independent broadcasting results in a gradual shift in persona from relatable human, to personified meme synthesized from audience expectation. Often accelerated by the presence of audience engagement mechanisms.

Bummer. Now there's a dirty great 'Macaw, but more like Treguard from Knightmare' hole in my watch schedule :?

Unrelated sociological subgrumble: The obnoxious friend effect, whereby a good channel will introduce a regular guest entirely at odds with its existing appeal, and ultimately lose it entirely as the audiences mash together into a self-sustaining personality cult.
evil_ash_xero wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 5:28 am I watch Shmup Junkie (however, his sense of humor can get really cringe, and he seems over rehearsed). And I watch a bit of Electric Underground, but he's pretty elitist, and rags
I get the sense that Shumpie blew his load super early with a series of massive compilations, and has been picking around for new stuff to cover for a while. Still solid in spite of the hit-miss wink nudge eh guvner saynomore saynomore gags, but INCREDIBLE PC Action Games and Top New Retro Games of 20XX don't excite quite as much as lengthy histories of Toaplan and Tecnosoft.

And MarkMSX is a clown. I respect his skill and desire to make the genre more accessible, but just can't bring myself to sit through the unfunny waffle. Yes yes, you accidentally mained ultra hard in SDOJ because you're a degenerate, when's the insightful stuff? :|
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

BryanM wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 6:09 am I found a little gem of a channel from 20 years ago recently. Sometimes the best entertainers quit way before their act gets stale.
That has a lot of proto channel awesome vibes going on; gives me palpable body discomfort
orange808

Post by orange808 »

BryanM wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 6:09 am I found a little gem of a channel from 20 years ago recently. Sometimes the best entertainers quit way before their act gets stale.
It tries for Mr. Plinkett, but never really gets there.
We apologise for the inconvenience
BareKnuckleRoo

Re: Avoid (success at all costs)

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

I prefer smaller channels that are doing it as a hobby and obviously not aiming to monetize and make a living off what they do. A lot of the ones that get into monetization seem to fall into common "content farm" type traps and churn out spurious content or rush to produce poor quality videos to be the first to comment on some new release, drama, etc.
Lander wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 5:34 pm I get the sense that Shumpie blew his load super early with a series of massive compilations, and has been picking around for new stuff to cover for a while.
He seems nice enough, but I was not fond of him putting out a video about Senjin Aleste the moment the leak happened. It's not good for a very visible video creator in the shmup scene doing all but announcing "HEY YOU CAN PIRATE THIS BRAND NEW GAME RIGHT NOW". That sort of thing should be dealt with discreetly so as not to alienate the original creators. Struck me as tasteless. He also hasn't deleted the video; as you can see in this Facebook post that's still up about it and has the Youtube link, it's just been made private, so it seems he may be hoping to make it public again if Senjin Aleste ever gets an official port (which his video has potentially helped sabotage).
And MarkMSX is a clown. I respect his skill and desire to make the genre more accessible, but just can't bring myself to sit through the unfunny waffle.
He was always a bit of a clown. Shortly after joining this forum he took his toys and ran home, essentially declaring war on the forum because they didn't see him as an enlightened shmup guru, second coming of shmup Jesus, etc. This mostly stemmed from the slightly pretentious tone of voice he used in this post which he made with an account only a few months old and like 100 posts in, saying how brilliant it would be if the forum were totally overhauled and rendered unrecognizable. I think the generally lukewarm response he got always stung.

Yes, manual updates seem archaic, but though it has slow update speeds and human error as drawbacks, it also fosters discussion and community within the scoreboard posts. At the time, RestartSyndrome also existed as a supplementary good hands-off submission place for scores. He only bothered to come back now and then to promote his channel or when he could immerse himself in the Perikles drama, posting a poorly thought-out video that got rightly panned. He actually complained on a public shmup Discord channel, pinging me to tell me that I'm a bad person, all the dislikes on his video were a coordinated smear campaign on behalf of myself and "my friends on the forum", etc. Like, the video was bad and inflammatory, even if I gave a shit enough about it and wanted to do something that petty (spoiler: I don't, I'm too old for that shit), I really didn't have to do anything but kick back and watch the dislikes roll in on the video all on their own. There are a few other instances where people have voiced disagreement with him and he's either been offended or treated it as a personal attack.

He's still convinced in his infallible belief that Perikles cheated beyond any doubt; whether or not that's true, he also doesn't see any problem with associating himself with the 4chan crowd that was on record as being determined to mount a smear campaign against multiple people for laughs more than anything else. :/
Sima Tuna

Post by Sima Tuna »

I'm always leery of ShmupJunkie types who appear on a scene super quick, immediately put out a ton of highly-edited, monetized content and then become "a fixture" of the community. That kind of behavior makes me suspicious. When I see that, my first response is, "let's see what happens over the next few years." Because I don't know if I'm seeing a passionate person who genuinely is trying to engage with a community they've always been part of but never put out content for (hey, it happens) or if they're a content farmer looking for a new group of fans to farm for cash. There are so many subgenres of starved fans out there who will throw their money at anyone who makes well-produced, regular content within their field of interest. You see it all the time on youtube.

So, while I wouldn't call anyone who fits that format a "fake fan" or any such thing, the pattern is so common as to arouse feelings of trepidation. There are cool people who make ad-supported/monetized content on youtube. Sometimes the content is so good I don't mind supporting it. But usually the best content is from hobbyists who have no profit motive. The content is more sporadic and often less technically sound (in production areas,) but appeals to me more because of the passion driving it.

I still wish YouTube had never become a "job" for people. I wish it could have stayed a video forum where people can discuss their hobbies.
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

Sima Tuna wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 8:20 pm I still wish YouTube had never become a "job" for people. I wish it could have stayed a video forum where people can discuss their hobbies.
I was just thinking about this recently. I completely agree, and I think that what happened to youtube over the Covid era just reinforces it a lot. There are a number of youtubers who I really like who got a lot more views over Covid because more people were at home watching, and they made the decision to go full time because they saw they had enough traction to maintain it as sole source of income at the time. But now things are swinging back in the other direction and a bunch of them are regretting the decision to some degree and realizing things were not as sustainable as they thought. Some of them have made videos talking about how they are scaling stuff back or making big changes, and also begging for more money of course. I feel like the quality of the content has gone downhill for most of the channels that I watch, very heavily skewed towards the creators who decided to depend on their channels for income. Those channels that don't rely on youtube for income seem to be pretty much the same as they always were, and seem to have a fairly steady level of views and interest in their videos, subject to normal fluctuations.
Lander

Post by Lander »

BareKnuckleRoo wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 7:19 pm I prefer smaller channels that are doing it as a hobby and obviously not aiming to monetize and make a living off what they do. A lot of the ones that get into monetization seem to fall into common "content farm" type traps and churn out spurious content or rush to produce poor quality videos to be the first to comment on some new release, drama, etc.
Indeed - the title of my post was derived from a talk on lifecycles; small projects that die quickly from no interest, medium ones that die slowly from not enough interest, and big ones that skyrocket to Regrettable Absence of Death.
Success at all costs begets its own failure through the ability to say what you're doing is good enough, so the golden path ends up being 'small enough to improve gradually, and not big enough to implode'.

Though I've noticed that the trap isn't always content farming or trying to compete in the major leagues; in some cases it's a well-intentioned smothering that arises from the intersection between weak creator vision, and an enthusiastic audience that knows it wants more.
Neither see the monkey's paw of more = worse (or numerous variants like variety != intrinsically better) - perhaps until it's too late, or perhaps ever - and things stretch thin until a vocal and easily pleased contingent is all that remains.
BareKnuckleRoo wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 7:19 pm He seems nice enough, but I was not fond of him putting out a video about Senjin Aleste the moment the leak happened. It's not good for a very visible video creator in the shmup scene doing all but announcing "HEY YOU CAN PIRATE THIS BRAND NEW GAME RIGHT NOW". That sort of thing should be dealt with discreetly so as not to alienate the original creators. Struck me as tasteless. He also hasn't deleted the video; as you can see in this Facebook post that's still up about it and has the Youtube link, it's just been made private, so it seems he may be hoping to make it public again if Senjin Aleste ever gets an official port (which his video has potentially helped sabotage).
I vaguely remember watching that video, though knew nothing about the leak. From that standpoint it looked like more of the same enthusiasm, though perhaps a bit pushy in that petition-through-majority sort of way.
Didn't really key into any piracy angle beyond the unspoken how do you have a copy then eh? that seems to have normalized across all of YT and Twitch by now, though I suppose it's inevitable given the nature of the scene.
And - anecdotal - but I find it slightly tragically funny that the only info I can wring out of google to that effect is a forum post asking "there was a leak?" shortly followed by "got a copy, 's good" :lol:
BareKnuckleRoo wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 7:19 pm He was always a bit of a clown. (cont...)
Much of that is news to me, though the proposed overhaul has similar vibes to the way Shmuparch was handled. Good intentions (what's that you say, Bruce?), but embodied wrong and presented with an undeserved degree of self-confidence.

Forking a big multiplatform software project to maintain opinionated defaults is well and good - one born every minute, as they say - but doing so by redistributing the Windows .zip on Google Drive with some extra config files and a new name is far from ideal.
Almost resembles the under-table peacocking of the piracy scene, with various rebadgings and minor additions being cobbled together and bragged about by people who don't really know what they're on about.
Earned a little scorn, though I'll admit to holding high standards in the domain.
Last edited by Lander on Fri Jan 12, 2024 1:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
BryanM

Post by BryanM »

I do enjoy the fact the algorithm suddenly thinks I'm a bigot just because I occasionally watch videos about video games. No matter how many times I've said "Not interested"...

Sima Tuna wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 8:20 pmBut usually the best content is from hobbyists who have no profit motive. The content is more sporadic and often less technically sound (in production areas,) but appeals to me more because of the passion driving it.

Basically this Man Carrying Thing shitpost.

Old youtube is so different; people making videos in their grandparents' house (and being a top ten channel in their subject!) before they go off on a killing spree and disappear forever. That kind of stuff doesn't happen anymore.

Presentation and looking like you've got money are basic requirements now.
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

Lander wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 5:34 pm Well, Bardic Broadcasts has finally fallen prey to the Streamer Self Parody* effect :( was hoping he was an integral enough individual not to let it happen, but it did.

* A phenomena whereby finding success in independent broadcasting results in a gradual shift in persona from relatable human, to personified meme synthesized from audience expectation. Often accelerated by the presence of audience engagement mechanisms.

Bummer. Now there's a dirty great 'Macaw, but more like Treguard from Knightmare' hole in my watch schedule :?

Unrelated sociological subgrumble: The obnoxious friend effect, whereby a good channel will introduce a regular guest entirely at odds with its existing appeal, and ultimately lose it entirely as the audiences mash together into a self-sustaining personality cult.
evil_ash_xero wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 5:28 am I watch Shmup Junkie (however, his sense of humor can get really cringe, and he seems over rehearsed). And I watch a bit of Electric Underground, but he's pretty elitist, and rags
I get the sense that Shumpie blew his load super early with a series of massive compilations, and has been picking around for new stuff to cover for a while. Still solid in spite of the hit-miss wink nudge eh guvner saynomore saynomore gags, but INCREDIBLE PC Action Games and Top New Retro Games of 20XX don't excite quite as much as lengthy histories of Toaplan and Tecnosoft.

And MarkMSX is a clown. I respect his skill and desire to make the genre more accessible, but just can't bring myself to sit through the unfunny waffle. Yes yes, you accidentally mained ultra hard in SDOJ because you're a degenerate, when's the insightful stuff? :|
Yeah, Shmup Junkie's history of Technosoft was pretty great. I forgot about that one.
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

Lander wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 10:43 pmAnd - anecdotal - but I find it slightly tragically funny that the only info I can wring out of google to that effect is a forum post asking "there was a leak?" shortly followed by "got a copy, 's good" :lol:
Now, I don't have a problem with ShmupJunkie rushing to release an early review. Monetized channels do that shit because it makes money, content creators gonna content. Reviewers compete all the time to be the first to release reviews of brand new games. My problem was that instead of maintaining plausible deniability and saying something like "hey I got to go to Japan and play a brand new game and the arcade kindly let me record footage for my channel in exchange for remaining anonymous, since arcade recordings in Japan can be a touchy subject", he instead said something like "I got to play this brand new game but I can't tell you how, and hopefully everyone gets to play an official port soon". I can't remember exactly what was said, and the video is down so you'll have to take my word for it, but if you listened what he said, it was a pretty obvious admission of hey we can play this game outside arcades, wink wink, nudge nudge. Not great for a public figure in the English speaking shmup community on a monetized channel blatantly taking advantage of that to generate more content.

The gist of it (I haven't set it up myself but someone showed me it running on a PC once a while ago) is that the arcade release actually has a PC port ready to go baked right into the game files. Like, complete with a title screen and options menus for running on PC. Somehow someone got ahold of the files from the arcade release (presumably running on PC hardware), extracted it, and discovered that by tweaking a setting file or something you could run the game in its PC port mode rather than it running in its arcade mode.

The devs are potentially kicking themselves for not doing something to make it trickier to extract and fire up on a PC, but that doesn't mean it's a great idea to showcase the piracy of a game that was at the time I think barely a year old and hadn't gotten an official port yet.