Secret of chinese food home cooking.

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
Hoagtech

Secret of chinese food home cooking.

Post by Hoagtech »

Im into food. I have perfected the art of steak in sous vide and have covered the basics of a Jello like 16 lb brisket on a smoker. among other trending at home delicacy.

My question to everyone is.. How the hell do I make takeout Chinese that doesn't taste like your Aunt's walnut banana Jello casserole?

More specifically Chow Mein.

Every time I try any recipe that claims to recreate that experience. It tastes nothing like the real thing in every recipe I try, Kung Pao chicken, Mongolian beef, and Chow mein (or lo mein depending on your area of American chinese cuisine)

I have the brand of MSG that is commonly used. A non generic Oytser sauce, premium Dark soy sauce to enhance the Umami and not the salt content ETC.

My question is.

Does anyone here have family ties to Chinese takeout and can you provide me with some tips to capture that savory flavor that resides in most Chinese restaurants that I am missing out on?

Recipes and experiences welcome in this thread..
Copyright 1987
Stevens

Re: Secret of chinese food home cooking.

Post by Stevens »

Your flava enhancers are on point, but no fish sauce?

Also I might be in Bellingham at some point in the next two weeks: )
You're sure to be in a fine haze about now, but don't think too hard about all of this. Just go out and kill a few beasts. It's for your own good. You know, it's just what hunters do! You'll get used to it.
drauch

Post by drauch »

I live where the dude created cashew chicken. Homey just died like last year or so. The original had oyster sauce, chicken bullion, cornstarch and white pepper if that's your jam.
BIL wrote: "Small sack, LOTS OF CUM" - Nikola Tesla
Mortificator

Post by Mortificator »

I've got my hot & sour soup up to the point where it's at least as good as takeout, but my stir frys need work :oops:
RegalSin wrote:You can't even drive across the country Naked anymore
Hoagtech

Post by Hoagtech »

Stevens wrote:Your flava enhancers are on point, but no fish sauce?

Also I might be in Bellingham at some point in the next two weeks: )
Cool. Your gonna want to get the shoyo Ramen at Hokkai. It’s the best. Our Chinese food isn’t as good as Northern California takeout.

Then afterward. Head next door to GrowGeneration and say hi and play a round of Gradius. If your driving, feel free to buy a PVM or or EDTV off me on your way out.

As far a figuring out Chinese food. The Shoyo Ramen broth is another puzzling flavor I cannot seem to recreate. I peeked in the kitchen and saw huge 10 gallon soup pots and a brown sauce with broccoli on the label.

I don’t think American Chinese use fish sauce in their main entrees. That seems more Viatnamese or Thai. I got a dank Vietnamese dipping sauce recipe if you guys need it

I am good at making egg drop soup, but that’s about it.

@Mortificator. Let’s trade soup recipes for starts.
Copyright 1987
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

Thanks for the suggestions. If I am up that way I will definitely stop in and say hello.
You're sure to be in a fine haze about now, but don't think too hard about all of this. Just go out and kill a few beasts. It's for your own good. You know, it's just what hunters do! You'll get used to it.
Mortificator

Post by Mortificator »

Hoagtech wrote:Let’s trade soup recipes for starts.

Chicken stock [11 cups] (you could use veggie stock if you wanted to make it vegan)
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
Bamboo shoots [1 lb]
Carrots [2 lb] (peeled & chopped)
Extra-firm tofu [2 lb] (sliced into spoon-sized straws)
Mushrooms [1 lb] (still experimenting with what kind I like best here...)
Ginger paste [2 tsp]
White vinegar [1 cup]
Soy sauce [1/2 cup]
Sriracha [2 Tb]
White pepper [1 Tb] (put in a little cheesecloth bag and fish out after simmering)
Brown sugar [1 1/2 tsp]
MSG [maybe 1/2 tsp to start]
Sesame oil (drizzle on top after bowling)
Scallions (chop and top, ditto)

Boil the stock. Add all the ingredients between the dashed lines, reduce heat, cover. Simmer maybe 30 minutes; the real sign it's ready is when the carrots have that "done" texture.

Sriracha's the hot and vinegar's the sour, so after it's been simmering a bit, you can taste your broth and add more of one or the other to adjust it to your preference. The amount of MSG is also going to need fine-tuned depending on how much sodium was in your stock.
Hoagtech

Post by Hoagtech »

Mortificator wrote:
Hoagtech wrote:Let’s trade soup recipes for starts.

Chicken stock [11 cups] (you could use veggie stock if you wanted to make it vegan)
Bamboo shoots [1 lb]
Carrots [2 lb] (peeled & chopped)
Extra-firm tofu [2 lb] (sliced into spoon-sized straws)
Mushrooms [1 lb] (still experimenting with what kind I like best here...)
Ginger paste [2 tsp]
White vinegar [1 cup]
Soy sauce [1/2 cup]
Sriracha [2 Tb]
White pepper [1 Tb] (put in a little cheesecloth bag and fish out after simmering)
Brown sugar [1 1/2 tsp]
MSG [maybe 1/2 tsp to start]
Sesame oil (drizzle on top after bowling)
Scallions (chop and top, ditto)

Boil the stock. Add all the ingredients between the dashed lines, reduce heat, cover. Simmer maybe 30 minutes; the real sign it's ready is when the carrots have that "done" texture.

Sriracha's the hot and vinegar's the sour, so after it's been simmering a bit, you can taste your broth and add more of one or the other to adjust it to your preference. The amount of MSG is also going to need fine-tuned depending on how much sodium was in your stock.

Sweet. I’m excited to try that. Egg drop is a bit simpler

Qt chicken stock
1 egg white
1 Tbl potatoe or corn starch

Optional:
1 tsp MSG
1 tsp sesame seeds
1/2 carrot cubed
1/2 cup frozen peas
1/4 cup Bamboo shoots
1/4 tsp toasted sesame oil
1/2 lb chicken thigh
1/4 tsp white pepper
1/4 cup shiitake cubed
1/4 tsp Low sodium soy

Heat stock until boiling. Turn heat down and slowly drip egg white into mixture. Mix corn starch with warm water. Turn up heat and wait for a simmer and slowly mix starch. Done

There are so many optional ingredeints. It’s recommended if using chicken to remove all sinew and slice thin and sauté with starch underdone for a nice texture. Most optional ingredients other than chicken should be added right before the egg as they don’t have long to cook.
Copyright 1987
Vexorg

Post by Vexorg »

I've never really tried Chinese cooking, but for some time now I've been trying to figure out "Seattle Style" teriyaki, which is its own set of problems. I don't think it would be too hard to replicate the sauce (and there are places that sell it anyway) but figuring out the cooking methods seems to be tricky for some reason.
We want you, save our planet!
Xbox Live: Vexorg | The Sledgehammer - Version 2.0
Specineff

Post by Specineff »

Baking soda as tenderizer for the chicken. No seriously, I've made restaurant-quality cashew chicken with it. Rinse it off well and mix in the marinade as required by the recipe. You won't believe how soft and flavorful the chicken ends up after that.
Don't hold grudges. GET EVEN.
Mortificator

Post by Mortificator »

Hoagtech wrote:Egg drop
Made this for lunch yesterday and it got a positive reception
Hoagtech

Post by Hoagtech »

Mortificator wrote:
Hoagtech wrote:Egg drop
Made this for lunch yesterday and it got a positive reception
Right on. A little salt and pepper to taste.. I'm glad you liked it man.

Does anyone know that secret combo of chow mien savory sauce?

I made a Korean ground beef and it tasted like a Better Homes and Gardens centerfold (not good)

I would love to hear the secret of flavor in these posts..
Copyright 1987
Immryr

Post by Immryr »

Chinese cooking demystified on youtube is a pretty good place for recipes/techniques:
https://www.youtube.com/c/ChineseCookingDemystified

Or, if you're interested in authentic Sichuanese food, Chef Wang Gang is the man:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCg0m_A ... nn77-vYnYw
Hoagtech

Post by Hoagtech »

Stevens wrote:Thanks for the suggestions. If I am up that way I will definitely stop in and say hello.
I just wanted to say it was a pleasure seeing you today and your welcome anytime in the next WA visit. Maybe next time we can actually play a game on one of the cabs.

I’m glad you liked the Shoyu ramen.

Have a nice trip back. I’ll be sure to hit you up next time I’m on the East Coast
Copyright 1987
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

Yeah. It was great meeting you. Thanks for the tour and the drink! The shoyu was legit.

Till next time.
Vexorg

Post by Vexorg »

Would you say that Hokkai is worth a trip up to Bellingham? I was actually up there a few months ago for the Cars and Coffee in the parking lot in front of the Starbucks, but had no idea that the place was even there. It's about a 70 mile drive from here.

That said, I've found a pretty decent ramen place in Everett (Botan Ramen 'n Bar) but haven't been there in a while because it's more of a cold weather food. Ramen is one of the items I'd like to figure out at some point, but my wife doesn't care much for most Asian food so it's a bit hard to do too much with it. In particular I'd like to figure out how to make a good Chashu.
We want you, save our planet!
Xbox Live: Vexorg | The Sledgehammer - Version 2.0
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

OT - Wound up back in Bellingham briefly yesterday, had breakfast at Birch Door.
PC Engine Fan X!

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

I recall reading in the San Francisco Chronicle newspaper that said the secret to really good "restaurant quality" Chinese fried rice is to use a "seasoned" wok with a gas burner type of stove setup cranked up (which nets the best results). Of course, if one has an electric stove top range, then a wok suited for that type would be most beneficial. I admit that California has some really good Chinese takeout restaurants worthy of your time/wallet/purse. I'd watch the Chinese cooking shows with chef Martin Yan sometimes on the PBS channel 6 (back in the day when they used to air it).

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
Steamflogger Boss

Post by Steamflogger Boss »

So it's not exactly what was asked for but I will say I have liked everything I have made from this site: https://www.justonecookbook.com/

I remembered seeing this thread awhile back but my memory was jogged as I'm making some general's chicken today.
drauch wrote:I live where the dude created cashew chicken. Homey just died like last year or so. The original had oyster sauce, chicken bullion, cornstarch and white pepper if that's your jam.
That's wild. Is the original recipe completely known?