Is Bangai-O Import Friendly?

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
MrOldSchoolCool

Is Bangai-O Import Friendly?

Post by MrOldSchoolCool »

I'm considering getting the Japanese version of the Dreamcast release to save some money. Does anybody have experience with that version?

BTW I put this in "off topic" because I would imagine not everybody considers this game a shoot 'em up.
Last edited by MrOldSchoolCool on Mon Jul 11, 2022 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Koa Zo

Re: Is Bangai-O Import Friendly?

Post by Koa Zo »

MrOldSchoolCool wrote:I'm considering getting the Japanese version of the Dreamcast release to save some money. Does anybody have experience with that version?
At this point, I'd burn or buy a repro of the NA release.

The JPN original is import friendly. There is banter between the characters but nothing you need to understand to complete the levels, but you will miss out on the humor.

Here are a few helpful threads:
Bangai-O compared to Bangaioh
tips for last boss and other comparisons
frustrating last boss
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

The dialog in Bangaioh is utter nonsense, I don't even know if it was machine-translated, if feels as if an alien translated it based on what he thought human dialog sounded like from listening to distorted radio waves.

If you play the Japanese version you won't "miss" anything as figuring out how to play is pretty straightforward and the game as a whole is ridiculous.

If you do pick it up no matter the version, you should play with the controls set to aim with ABXY, it's much better that way.
MrOldSchoolCool

Post by MrOldSchoolCool »

EmperorIng wrote:The dialog in Bangaioh is utter nonsense, I don't even know if it was machine-translated, if feels as if an alien translated it based on what he thought human dialog sounded like from listening to distorted radio waves.

If you play the Japanese version you won't "miss" anything as figuring out how to play is pretty straightforward and the game as a whole is ridiculous.

If you do pick it up no matter the version, you should play with the controls set to aim with ABXY, it's much better that way.
Sounds good. I'll be sure to try out those adjusted controls.
Koa Zo

Post by Koa Zo »

EmperorIng wrote:The dialog in Bangaioh is utter nonsense, I don't even know if it was machine-translated, if feels as if an alien translated it based on what he thought human dialog sounded like from listening to distorted radio waves.
I can't vouch for the accuracy of the translation, but it is supposed to be absurdist.
Steamflogger Boss

Post by Steamflogger Boss »

Yes. I've beat it and know next to none.