Centralization of internet makes it fragile

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
qmish

Centralization of internet makes it fragile

Post by qmish »

At the moment of making this post i can't use Facebook or Instagram as both are offline. Not just for me, but for most people.

https://www.theverge.com/2021/10/4/2270 ... sapp-error

And what's app doesn't work as it should as well.

Surely, the next day or something they will fix this and it will return to normal. But...

Just depressing to realize how much we depend on these services and when they switch off we are left helpless.

I don't even want to think about tons, and tons, and tons of content that exists only within Facebook or Instagram or Discord, be that very useful informational posts or photos/images.

And how many people nowodays use such platforms not just as entertainment, but also for actual work. And, for me, there are enough people with whom i have the only way of contact is through IG or FB.

...i think, for the sake of sanity, you all should just

Same worries i also have regarding recent fashion of using discord instead of a separate message board or chat room for communities/projects nowodays. People now treat them as forum replacement and often put important information that may not exist anywhere else (e.g. there was a circle of programmers who kept documentation of how to make custom mods for a certain game only in private discord and when admin had nervous breakdown and nuked the server, it basically killed the whole modding community as nobody even backed docs and posts), and also discord servers are not indexed by search engines etc. etc.

If one "board hosted on company's site" goes offline, its just it. If the whole discord or reddit goes 404, it's thousands of communities that loose access.

P.S.

Seriously, i wanted to re-watch a bit of Akraten's Cave PCB clips on insta...
Last edited by qmish on Fri Oct 08, 2021 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Vanguard

Re: Centralization of internet makes it fragile

Post by Vanguard »

The centralization of the internet is a disaster for a hundred different reasons.
qmish

Post by qmish »

Yeah please don't treat thread's premise just as social network example, there is so much more than that.

p.s.
Damn, fixed up "download entire internet" gif.
BIL

Post by BIL »

I get many a Sensible Chuckle™ from noobs balking at the thought of not sticking your stupid fucking name (and/or your stupid fucking face) on everything you do online. As if my posts about hobbies, or current events, have anything to do with my work, or my online banking or utility payments.

The day I have to upload Contra and Metal Slug runs under my real name, Dr. Richard Penis, is the day I fuck off forever. This is the only forum I use. Half of the shit I post would get me shot in the face back home, the other half would get me fired abroad. Even absent such concerns, why would I want to tie all of this shit together? What a pain in the ass.

The silver lining to all this centralisation is Big Funnin Tymes when it all crashes down like the jerry-rigged buckets of dog shit atop rickety scaffolding that it is. Condolences to anyone compelled (or just gullible enough) to treat the internet like it's a public highway, ID on you at all times, when your posts on AshleyMadison.com, BeastDickPlanet.org and FuckMyLilBoiPucci.net get got. :sad:

drauch

Post by drauch »

The day BeastDickPlanet.org gets shut down I'm fawkin' out of here and going straight to Cuck Island on a one-way ticket.
BIL wrote: "Small sack, LOTS OF CUM" - Nikola Tesla
BIL

Post by BIL »

A few years back, Cuck Island's government actually mooted licenses for accessing BeastDickPlanet.org and other such fine organs :O It was colloquially termed The Wanking Loicense, and incredibly enough, seems to have died a death. Can you imagine: a fuckin photo ID with your name and face and everything, just to beat off - probably while being assailed left and right by Granny Pron ads! Image You'd have to buy it down the Post Office, from an IRL Granny, who probably knew lads who got their meat & two veg blown off in the war! Image

To quote a recently deceased icon of more innocent times, "The internet and real life are two different things." He may have been a chomo hypocrite who brandished his tiny pecker IRL, and I'm glad he's worm food, but he was right on principle! I hope anyone who works to make this not the case gets buttfucked to death on cam by Mr. Ed, the back end demolition posted to BeastDickPlanet.org in full - just like with that one dude!
drauch

Post by drauch »

Jeff may be gone, but obviously not forgotten.
BIL wrote: "Small sack, LOTS OF CUM" - Nikola Tesla
Obiwanshinobi

Post by Obiwanshinobi »

I depend on neither Shitface nor Scheissbook, so I don't feel deprived in this regard. Then again, I got to know about TikTok from a weekly newspaper, so I take it I'm minority here.
I've more issues with YouTube centralisation, especially disappearance of Sabrina's Boys, Boys, Boys music video from there. Nothing that can't be downloaded via P2P services anymore (I hope).
The rear gate is closed down
The way out is cut off