SDA - Shmups

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
CarmeloLabadie

SDA - Shmups

Post by CarmeloLabadie »

I've been in the mood for playing some good Shmups (Shoot-em-ups) and I'm trying to expand my current library.
I own Gradius III,
Super R-type
Raiden Trad
FirePower2000 (Amazing)
Ikaruga

Any suggestions for some great Shmups? Any console would be good, though I'm more inclined to older, more classic games (SNES, NES, Gen)
I'm not a gigantic fan nor do I have a lot of knowledge of the genre, so please don't mention an obscure japan-only title as I'll not know what the hell you're talking about.
Obiwanshinobi

Re: SDA - Shmups

Post by Obiwanshinobi »

CarmeloLabadie wrote:Any suggestions for some great Shmups? Any console would be good, though I'm more inclined to older, more classic games (SNES, NES, Gen)
I'm not a gigantic fan nor do I have a lot of knowledge of the genre, so please don't mention an obscure japan-only title as I'll not know what the hell you're talking about.
Sought-after shmups for these all tend to be rather expensive, also, Japan-only ones usually are fully playable without knowing Japanese language. I can recommend Solar Striker for Game Boy, R-Type for GB(C), then Phalanx for GBA, Gradius Advance (a.k.a Gradius Galaxies, a.k.a. Gradius Generation) and Konami Collector's Series: Arcade Advanced (a.k.a. Konami Collector's Series: Arcade Classics) - also for GBA (make sure you try & see what Konami Code does in each and every game on the latter). I just don't see the above titles recommended a lot, and I feel I've gotten my money's worth from 'em.

Hydorah (PC freeware) is pretty great, very 16-bit style.

Oh yes - Gauntlet Dark Legacy (reportedly PS2 one is the least flawed) in ROBOTRON mode, Apocalypse (PSX) with DualShock(2) analogue ON, twin-sticks way. Alien Syndrome PS2 remake (Sega Classics Collection in the US).

The Red Star (PS2) - beat 'em up/shmup hybrid.

Space Raiders (GameCube) - enough said.
The rear gate is closed down
The way out is cut off