Guess the motif + hello to old (and new) Swedish stgfans :)

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
Eyvah_Ehyeh

Guess the motif + hello to old (and new) Swedish stgfans :)

Post by Eyvah_Ehyeh »

Thought I'd take a picture before the motif falls off entirely, and thought I'd use it as an opportunity to put a smile one someone's face, whilst also reaching out to old members of the Swedish shmup community STGFAN which was a thing maybe, hm, 2002-2008...? Well, at least *I* didn't stay around for much longer than 2007ish. Anyone still here from those days? javel? MNK? egret? brandbil? Kennyman666? Etc. I was called Undantaget at the forums, and my tag was A7A/AVA.

https://imgshare.io/image/20210420-094103.pEAmYl
KennyMan666

Re: Guess the motif + hello to old (and new) Swedish stgfans

Post by KennyMan666 »

Oh hey it's you.

I remember that shirt pattern. Wish I had been able to get one at the time.
My 1CCs so I can find the list easier myself
<Despatche> you've been a thorn in the shmups community since the beginning, you're largely responsible for the horrible face of modern speedrunning
Eyvah_Ehyeh

Post by Eyvah_Ehyeh »

Well, if it makes you feel any better, longevity isn't the best thing about this pattern, seeing as how I haven't been wearing it much and it started peeling many a year ago. Has no-one else (here) made any t-shirts with bullet patterns?
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

Hi, I think we met briefly at sven666's shmup meet in Gothenburg once. I was sad to see STGFAN go, but it was really a ghost town in the end.
Image | My games - http://www.emphatic.se | (Click) I have YEN stickers for sale
RegalSin wrote:Street Fighters. We need to aviod them when we activate time accellerator.
Eyvah_Ehyeh

Post by Eyvah_Ehyeh »

I can't put a face to your name, but I do seem to remember you were one of the later members, and yes, I was at ONE meeting at Svens so that's probably where we met. :) Good on ya for staying.
Starfighter

Post by Starfighter »

I was only a part of STGFAN towards the end, but I do remember you! If I'm not mistaken I bought Nights into dreams + Christmas nights from you at the train station in Malmö.
Dragoforce

Post by Dragoforce »

I believe Lowemark got into long distance running instead of shmups/stgfan some 7-8 years ago. He was the last owner of stgfan.

I've met you all losers at least once.
Swedish shmup community - stgfan.com
Do not be afraid...
DMC

Post by DMC »

I really enjoyed Stgfan, miss it quite a bit, but yes it was inevitable. Too niche for Sweden, and around 2008-2010 the genre was at it lowest, I think.
There were barely any new games to talk about.

A few things could have been done differently to extend it a few years, but really virtually all Swedish forums died as modern social media arose so it was just a matter of time.
It was a quite a thing -- that around those years there were, say, 20 dedicated Swedish gaming forums
(e.g., stg, fighter, square enix, arcade, vintage, NES, each gaming magazine had their own forum, and a couple of collector forums).
...and now they are replaced by social media groups inhabited by zombies.

We did place second a couple of times on the STGT and that was a very cool thing.

Edit: I like that you still have stgfan in your signature though Dragoforce! :)
Obiwanshinobi

Post by Obiwanshinobi »

DMC wrote:A few things could have been done differently to extend it a few years, but really virtually all Swedish forums died as modern social media arose so it was just a matter of time.
Could this be due to roughly all Swedish internet users understanding English (hardly a rule of thumb, world-wide), or - maybe - forums as a thing lose popularity globally? (I wouldn't know.) If so, I like it like that, it has to be said. The parts of these forums I visit now and then seem to barely see all that much action anymore, and it's about as much as I can take, these days.
The rear gate is closed down
The way out is cut off

DMC

Post by DMC »

I guess it was mainly a global thing.

As we all know, killing time was increasingly done browsing around youtube/facebook/etc and chatting with friends--instead of writing long posts to strangers at discussion forums.
I remember many of those old forums struggled with spam bots & trolls, and had hosts that have left the forums but still retained the website.
So most forums struggled to obtain new members.
And I think the typical demographic was 15-25 years old around the early 2000s, and 10 years later most of these people had started families/jobs and simply had less time.

I think the German, French, and Italian forums had similar decreases in actiivity around 2010? Since Sweden is smaller, it makes sense the Swedish forums were more vulnerable.
But I agree with you, we're used to English rather than Swedish internet contents, so some stg enthusiasts just sufficed with shmups.com.
moonblood

Post by moonblood »

I still lurk here for news and entertaining discussions, I was kallbrand at stgfan. Never been much of a poster anywhere.
DMC wrote:And I think the typical demographic was 15-25 years old around the early 2000s, and 10 years later most of these people had started families/jobs and simply had less time.
This is very true too I think, I'm one of those people. I still buy, collect and play stuff, but not like back in those days.
It begins in deep space warped by evil power