WTF News

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
BulletMagnet

Re: WTF News

Post by BulletMagnet »

Got a two-fer for today.
Mortificator

Post by Mortificator »

Dangit, why do Republicans get the Russian / Ukrainian hit squads? I only have a Nicaraguan / Oklahoman annoyance crew.
RegalSin wrote:You can't even drive across the country Naked anymore
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

wht11 wrote: You mean like, judges making sure they keep clean hands? Or not quite sure.
No. "Saving face" is an important social dynamic in East Asian culture. It's surely present in the west, but it's not nearly omnipresent. "Losing face" for a politician or businessman in Japan can mean the end of their career in the eyes of the world they live in, and is understandable grounds for suicide (in their culture). This can happen from something like a bad business deal or the exposure of a scandal. What would be enough to constitute a "scandal" in Japan might surprise you, and fake scandals manufactured by political enemies can easily have the same effect.
wht11

Post by wht11 »

vol.2 wrote:
wht11 wrote: You mean like, judges making sure they keep clean hands? Or not quite sure.
No. "Saving face" is an important social dynamic in East Asian culture. It's surely present in the west, but it's not nearly omnipresent. "Losing face" for a politician or businessman in Japan can mean the end of their career in the eyes of the world they live in, and is understandable grounds for suicide (in their culture). This can happen from something like a bad business deal or the exposure of a scandal. What would be enough to constitute a "scandal" in Japan might surprise you, and fake scandals manufactured by political enemies can easily have the same effect.
The way I always understood "saving face" in Asian standards is in fact not having one. With that the point I made about the verdict still holds, I think.
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

wht11 wrote: The way I always understood "saving face" in Asian standards is in fact not having one. With that the point I made about the verdict still holds, I think.
It means to behave in such a way as not to break with accepted modes of behavior in one's culture, which would cause one to "lose face."

The observation is not directed as a contradiction to anything you said; I was responding to Gaijin's description.
orange808

Post by orange808 »

https://journals.plos.org/plosone/artic ... ne.0244647

Who's excited? We can finally install cameras, capture faces, and build a smile metric for workers that won't allow people to fake their smiles! You were expecting Star Trek? Nope.
We apologise for the inconvenience
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

If it were a public utility doing this, the "new world order" crowd would be bleeding out of their whatevers. As it stands, I instead expect paeans to private-sector innovation and catcalls at the public sector for, as always, being so far behind the proverbial 8-ball. :lol:
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

Police weaponize copywrite laws to foil protestors posting videos:

https://www.kqed.org/arts/13899731/bay- ... taken-down