Are "pro" pads worth it?

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
Mischief Maker

Are "pro" pads worth it?

Post by Mischief Maker »

Apologies to mods if this belongs in the hardware forum, it just seemed the topics were more in depth there.

I recently managed to get my paws on Devil May Cry V during the brief window when it was steam-DRM-free and I'm looking to really sink my teeth into the second play, but knowing my history with the series it's gonna be murder on my generic Xbox 360 pad.

I'm eyeing the PowerA Fusion Pro. But my big question is whether these "pro" pads can take more abuse than the standard kind, or if I'm just paying a premium for extra bells and whistles I won't put to any real use.
Two working class dudes, one black one white, just baked a tray of ten cookies together.

An oligarch walks in and grabs nine cookies for himself.

Then he says to the white dude "Watch out for that black dude, he wants a piece of your cookie!"
Marc

Re: Are "pro" pads worth it?

Post by Marc »

I've got a Nacon Revolution, the sticks are infinitely better than the standard, and it comes with shafts of various lengths and weights you can install into the bottom of the pad for added heft. The L1/R1 buttons are micro switched as well. A huge upgrade over the normal pad, and I believe they can be picked up for a pretty decent price now. I paid around £65.00 and I was dubious given their normal price, but they were obviously off the back of a lorry, as the thing was untouched on arrival.
XBL & Switch: mjparker77 / PSN: BellyFullOfHell
XoPachi

Post by XoPachi »

Marc wrote:I've got a Nacon Revolution
I wish this was in my price range. Currently cannot afford it. I would love this for my PS4. I dont like the the standard Playstation layout for anything but 2D platformers. And even then I wouldnt complain about using my XBox controllers.
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

What is wearing out for you? For me, it's been the analog sticks - which is one reason why I'm getting serious about doing some repair work.

For what it's worth, Microsoft's been hit with a stick drift lawsuit. I've found it to be universal in my 360 sticks - all get it sooner or later and the only real cure is buying new or possibly swapping out the potentiometer assemblies.
Dochartaigh

Post by Dochartaigh »

I had the Xbox Elite Series II controller, the like $180 ones. TWO of them in a row (original mailed to me, and the replacement from a local GameStop store) had issues. Right trigger went soft and squeaky on one, and the A/B buttons wouldn't register 100% of the time (on both controllers I believe) unless I pressed directly down on them from the center. This was literally in the first week or so on each. I've never, ever, had an issue with the stock 360 or XBO controllers.

All I wanted from these is programmable paddles on the back to replace L3 and R3 as it hurts my hands to use those buttons on games where you're hitting it every other second to run or whatnot... if I were to do it again I would try the fancy Scuf controller but those are somehow even MORE expensive than the rip-off Xbox Elite ones.
rapoon

Post by rapoon »

shame, the The Nacom Revolution Pro Controller 2 is on sale for €69.90 but they don't ship to the Americas.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Ed Oscuro wrote: For what it's worth, Microsoft's been hit with a stick drift lawsuit. I've found it to be universal in my 360 sticks - all get it sooner or later and the only real cure is buying new or possibly swapping out the potentiometer assemblies.
MS too? I mostly hear about Nintendo's issues with drifting analog sticks.