Concerns about Midway's XBOX games...

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
dave4shmups

Concerns about Midway's XBOX games...

Post by dave4shmups »

Well my birthday is coming up this spring, and I'd like to ask for an XBOX. I have a Saturn, Dreamcast, and will soon have an X'EYE, so I have my shmup systems.

But I'd like a mostly 3-D system, don't want a PS2 again, or a Cube, so I've decided on the XBOX. Outrun 2, Metal Slug 3, and the upcoming Metal Slug 3+4 disc look pretty attractive, as do some other 3D games.

I am aware that Midway games like Spy Hunter and Gauntlet Dark Legacy made it onto the XBOX, but I keep reading words to the effect that every Midway XBOX game, with the exception of Arctic Thunder, are not nearly as good, in terms of graphics, as their PS2 cousins.

Is this true, and if so, how much worse do they look.
"Farewell to false pretension
Farewell to hollow words
Farewell to fake affection
Farewell, tomorrow burns"
TWITCHDOCTOR

Post by TWITCHDOCTOR »

Arctic Thunder is a poor arcade racer in any form, but its best played on the Xbox..at least in the form as a "home port".

Most EA games are better on the XBOX.
I really don't think you can go wrong with owning one.
Although, don't forget that certain games are optimized for the console they are initially created for. Case in point, Need For Speed Hot Pusuit 2(PS2) SUCKS for the XBOX, it clearly looks and runs better on the PS2. (The XBOX version is a poor port, its not that the XBOX couldn't handle it or anything)
dave4shmups

Post by dave4shmups »

I really enjoyed Arctic Thunder on the PS2, so I'm sure I'd love the Xbox version.

The system is worth owning for Outrun 2 alone; best racer I've ever played! In any case, thanks for the advice twitch! Yeah, I read about how bad that NFS game is on the Box.

So what about Spy Hunter, Fireblade, and Gauntlet Dark Legacy?
Farewell to hollow words
DantesInferno

Post by DantesInferno »

I love the Midway Arcade collections. Especially vol. 2 with the two MK games and Championship Sprint. I recommend both highly. Get Jet Set Radio Future as well...the first 3D game that had me jaw-dropped since the Dreamcast. The Mega Man Anniversary Collection is coming soon too, and I think RE4 is on it's way from what I've heard.
Brian

Post by Brian »

Don't forget about Circus Maximus and Kabuki Klash!!!!
captain ahar

Post by captain ahar »

aww hell, Brian. that is not cool. using language like that is like playing in traffic. will the mods please discipline him?
I have no sig whatsoever.
dave4shmups

Post by dave4shmups »

So what how are Spy Hunter, Fireblade, and Gauntlet Dark Legacy on the XBOX??
Farewell to hollow words
joshschw

Post by joshschw »

where did you hear this? Of all of them that I've played he Xbox version looks and plays much better. Now I never played Spyhunter or the other one you listed so I couldn't tell you on those but this is the first I ever heard of such a thing.
dave4shmups

Post by dave4shmups »

Well, Gamespot claims in it's reviews of Gauntlet Dark Legacy and Spy Hunter that both look worse then their PS2 cousins.
Farewell to hollow words
joshschw

Post by joshschw »

Well if you're basing getting an Xbox or a PS2, I don't think getting the PS2 for those two games would be worth it. Chances are the PS2 versions were a little sharper or more colorful since they originated on the PS2. 95% of multiplatform games will look the best on the Xbox.
dave4shmups

Post by dave4shmups »

I'm not basing it on that, I've already decided on an XBOX; I was just concerned about these ports, but it sounds like they are more then adequate.
Farewell to hollow words
joshschw

Post by joshschw »

I think it would be more widely known if thry were really atroucious or even more than slightly worse. anyways enjoy the xbox it rocks. :twisted:
Stormwatch

Post by Stormwatch »

After seeing a video of Doom 3 on the XBox, along with the two Halos, and knowing that Half-Life 2 is on the way, I guess this is THE console for first-person shooters. If you like the genre, get the system!
PsikyoPshumpPshooterP

Post by PsikyoPshumpPshooterP »

dave4shmups wrote:So what how are Spy Hunter, Fireblade, and Gauntlet Dark Legacy on the XBOX??
just go to gamefaqs.com...im sure the majority over there have tried out those games
The cave whore count in this thread is unbelievable!!!
dave4shmups

Post by dave4shmups »

There are plent of good non-FPS games for the XBOX. A common misconception that I once had was that the XBOX was a good console to get only if you like FPS games, sports games, and multiplayer games. But there is a LOT more to the XBOX, as I've discovered through Gamefaqs and IGN.

In any case, after having played Outrun 2 at a local arcade, I was sold on it.
Farewell to hollow words
Specineff

Post by Specineff »

Three words for you. Phantasy Star Online. :wink:
Don't hold grudges. GET EVEN.
Turrican

Post by Turrican »

Speaking of Midway, the new Gauntlet Seven Sorrow looks cool and has some gorgeous art. Check Gamespot.
X - P - B
dave4shmups

Post by dave4shmups »

I don't plan on getting XBOX Live, Specineff.

And yeah, I know about the new Gauntlet; I can't wait! :D Can't wait for the Metal Slug 4+5 pack that's due out in mid-April either! :D :D
Farewell to hollow words
joshschw

Post by joshschw »

dave4shmups wrote:There are plent of good non-FPS games for the XBOX. A common misconception that I once had was that the XBOX was a good console to get only if you like FPS games, sports games, and multiplayer games. But there is a LOT more to the XBOX, as I've discovered through Gamefaqs and IGN.

In any case, after having played Outrun 2 at a local arcade, I was sold on it.
Totally true, while most of the best FPS find there way onto the Xbox (and in some cases only the Xbox) I only own one FPS game and that is Ghost Recon 2, which i don;t even play in first-person

Don't forget Phatom Dust which comes out on march 8th, only $19! :P
dave4shmups

Post by dave4shmups »

So, is the Phantasy Star Online collection worth getting if you intend to play single-player games?
Farewell to hollow words
Specineff

Post by Specineff »

No. PSO is better played multiplayer. I play 90% multiplayer, 10 % single player.
joshschw

Post by joshschw »

dave4shmups wrote:So, is the Phantasy Star Online collection worth getting if you intend to play single-player games?

Dave, even if you want to play this offline it requires a Xbox Live account. Don't ask me why but it does.
jp

Post by jp »

Xbox is a pretty damn cool console:

Ninja Gaiden
Jet Set Radio Future
Panzer Dragoon Orta (even if it isn't half as good as any of the others)
Otogi 1+2
Halo 1+2
Phantom Crash
Phantom Dust (coming soon to US? Also, made by the director of PDSaga)
Metal Slug 3
Gun Valkyrie (just gotta spend time with it)
Crimson Skies
Mech Assault 1+2
Blinx 1+2 (made by a lot of original Team Andromeda people)
Knights of the Old Republic 1+2
Dai Senryaku VII

And probably a lot more "better" stuff I'm just too lazy to remember.

There's all kinds of neat shit on the Xbox. Granted, I sold mine a looooooong time ago and have since sold most of the games (I think I still have all my copies of PDOrta and JSRF and Gun Valkyrie and maybe Phantom Crash), but I'd be lying if I said I never enjoyed the console. In fact, as far as I'm concerned its the best console out this gen (granted, I don't think too much of this gen, but thats beside the point).

So yeah, rock on, enjoy your Xbox.
RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE!!!!!!
PsikyoPshumpPshooterP

Post by PsikyoPshumpPshooterP »

jp wrote:Xbox is a pretty damn cool console:

Ninja Gaiden
Jet Set Radio Future
Panzer Dragoon Orta (even if it isn't half as good as any of the others)
Otogi 1+2
Halo 1+2
Phantom Crash
Phantom Dust (coming soon to US? Also, made by the director of PDSaga)
Metal Slug 3
Gun Valkyrie (just gotta spend time with it)
Crimson Skies
Mech Assault 1+2
Blinx 1+2 (made by a lot of original Team Andromeda people)
Knights of the Old Republic 1+2
Dai Senryaku VII

And probably a lot more "better" stuff I'm just too lazy to remember.

There's all kinds of neat shit on the Xbox. Granted, I sold mine a looooooong time ago and have since sold most of the games (I think I still have all my copies of PDOrta and JSRF and Gun Valkyrie and maybe Phantom Crash), but I'd be lying if I said I never enjoyed the console. In fact, as far as I'm concerned its the best console out this gen (granted, I don't think too much of this gen, but thats beside the point).

So yeah, rock on, enjoy your Xbox.
hey Jp..how much did u sell your modded xbox for? i remember u sold it here a long time ago...god, i wish i jumped on it sooner!
The cave whore count in this thread is unbelievable!!!
jp

Post by jp »

I believe I sold it for $150 + $20 shipping. Not sure though, it was awhile back.
RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE!!!!!!
dave4shmups

Post by dave4shmups »

Thanks JP!

How are Gunmetal and Robotech Battlecry? I want a mech game, but I always lean more towards arcade-style controls then sim-style.
Farewell to hollow words
magnum opus

Post by magnum opus »

i don't reme,ber hearing that either was very good but the Mechwarrior games ARE arcade style, they pretty much stripped it of any sim aspect.
dave4shmups

Post by dave4shmups »

"No. PSO is better played multiplayer. I play 90% multiplayer, 10 % single player."

I've been told by a friend that the first PSO game for the Dreamcast is pretty good for single-player play.
Farewell to hollow words
Specineff

Post by Specineff »

Robotech Battlecry won't disappoint you, but the control scheme takes a bit to get used to. It's one of the few licensed games that don't suck. Don't get the sequel on Xbox though. TDK handed the port to another team, and they didn't pull off the same kind of work, from what I remember. This, and Macross 2036 are two games that do justice to the series.

*hums the Robotech theme*
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

dave4shmups wrote:"No. PSO is better played multiplayer. I play 90% multiplayer, 10 % single player."

I've been told by a friend that the first PSO game for the Dreamcast is pretty good for single-player play.
I own the game for DC and with the slow offline levelling, repetitive tasks, and limited amount of levels, the first PSO for DC won't last long in single player. In fact, I would say that the later games are actually an improvment in the single player department with faster levelling and nightmare mode, from what I heard. PSO Episode I and II plus for GameCube even has offline multiplayer quests and an offline challenge mode (or whatever it's called).