shmups.system11.org

Shmups Forum

* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Thu Jan 21, 2021 8:13 pm View unanswered posts
View active topics

Post subject: Re: Pimp my PC: The PC circlejerk thread
PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 1:51 pm 

You'll probably notice more of a jump with 32GB of RAM when you're doing a lot simultaneously. At least this was the case for me on an older Ryzen (1700). I was getting a lot of framerate inconsistencies while streaming and playing a modern game at the same time (1080p60). When I doubled to 32GB, everything smoothed out (for the record, the games were fine on their own--it was when I added streaming into the picture I'd get performance inconsistencies). I'm not sure how noticeable the jump would be though when paired with a current Ryzen CPU, considering they are leaps and bounds ahead of previous ones. Especially a 5950X. :shock:

Online Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 4:08 pm 

got my new HTPC/work desktop. Just for shits and giggles, I might replace it's 6th gen i5(6500) with a 6th gen i7(6700), and put in a little card (gtx 1650), all the best that this machine can handle, mobo and psu and cooling wise. also comes with 8gb of DDR4 memory but expendable up to 64gb of DDR4 (how much is worth it here?)

would I be able to play some gaymes with this rig? I'm talking 1080p. I'm fine with medium settings everywhere. I'd play a recent-ish game here an there, but more interested in indie games and emulation.

(I'm not considering building an additional gayming pc tower. if I can play on this HTPC desktop then that's cool, if not then no big deal)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 8:01 pm 

Yeah, I've got a 1050 4GB in one of my machines that I was using until I upgraded to the 2070s. I'm thinking you could definitely play some new stuff on medium no problem.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 8:08 pm 

Thanks bud! That's exactly the kinda info I was hoping to get. Cheers

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2020 6:18 pm 

Turns out setting memory to 3266mhz wasn't a good idea. I got a random restart and saw I got constant errors in the event log, that kept going until I changed memory speed to 3200mhz. I really hope that was the reason for the random restart, since I obviously can't be sure of that. Windows really should inform you of when hardware errors occur.

After that I set the CPU voltage offset down by quite a bit since precision overboost seems to like setting voltage a bit too high and it lowered temperature by 5C and fan noise by a lot without any apparent performance or stability loss yet. Yes it's a great idea to induce more potential stability problems before I'm sure what caused the first one.

I should probably be able to get even better speeds or temperatures with some experimenting. But I'm worried about breaking something. Or just spending too much time on it.
FinalBaton wrote:
also comes with 8gb of DDR4 memory but expendable up to 64gb of DDR4 (how much is worth it here?)

Pure gaming with those specs? Stick with 8GB until you run into problems. If you're multitasking while gaming you might see some benefit going for 16GB.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2020 9:38 pm 

And after removing the memory stick and inserting them into the right slots RAM is now stable at 3600mhz.

I would have saved much time on this PC upgrade if I had read the manual. The M.2 and SATA ports not being activated at the same time? In the manual, but 20 minutes of troubleshooting for me...

Unfortunately having the RAM in the right place means my CPU fan is now slightly off.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2020 10:55 pm 

And I figured out what my graphic booting problem was. I needed the Nvidia Graphic Firmware Update Tool for DisplayPort 1.3 and 1.4 Displays: https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/drivers/nv ... pdate-x64/

How the hell did I figure that out?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2020 11:38 pm 

thanks for your input regarding RAM @ZellSF! I'll keep that in mind

I also work on that pc (but use a VM so it's all dependent on internet browsing). I do some audio production in DAW, but generally don't use a ton of Virtual Instrument pluggins nor a shitload of tracks. I MIGHT edit a bit of video in the future but not doing it right now.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 3:20 pm 

Trump gives a final "Fuck You" to US gamers on his way out the door:

GPU exemption in Trump's China tarrifs set to expire, jack up GPU prices by 25%

On top of the recent Bitcoin boom.

Suddenly I'm glad Cyberpunk was a dud.

An oligarch walks in and grabs nine cookies for himself.

Then he says to the white dude "Watch out for that black dude, he wants a piece of your cookie!"

Offline Profile