The Cancel Culture thread! WOO!

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
Sengoku Strider

Re: The Cancel Culture thread! WOO!

Post by Sengoku Strider »

Raging anti-semite calling for white wave to violently overthrow (((GLOBALIST))) occupation of United States cancelled by tyrannical hand of the free market:

o.pwuaioc

Post by o.pwuaioc »

Don't participate in a fascist revolt, maybe? Pretty easy peasy, folks.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

https://nichegamer.com/2021/06/20/attem ... ews-swell/

> Factorio dev recommends lectures on devving/ management by "Uncle Bob
> Oops! Uncle Bob made sexist comments in 2009 and has retweeted Trump

A redditor suggests:

Code: Select all

“I know I know, politics and games don’t mix well,” d40b explained, “but promoting a controversial person without any reservations _is_ a political act.”
I love the fucking underscores man. That is typical_woke_speak.
I can imagine this person clapping their hands when making points IRL.

>dev says fuck off
>woke crowd decide to try and review-bomb Factorio.

That's where it's really strange to me, that really looks like attempted punishment for non-compliance.
1cc List - Youtube - You emptylock my heart
BIL

Post by BIL »

Uncle Bob seems to be a garden variety boomer. I tried reading this incandescently furied ho, but all I got was a chorus of screeching twittermong on Bobbo's use of a perfectly cromulent word. I'm sure he's an asswipe but I was expecting Literal Goat Fuck. Uncle Bob watchers, please hook us up with tales of barnyard loving. I will spot you my Lorne Armstrong promo as partial payment for craic rendered ;3
Factorio Man wrote:You have to understand, that I’m not from the US, and I’m nowhere on your little axis
I found myself explaining this to IRL Burgerfriends a lot, last summer, when it was discovered via Burger Divination that it was not gangsters with knives, but cops with guns who were keeping London's morgues in raging demand. As long as Burgerland is not raining Democracy™ upon their cities, nobody cares who you nominated King Cunt. Saying "but he liek [grifting fuckface #5245]" will have even mild-mannered foreigners eventually telling you to shove something big and hard (yet unpleasingly angular!) up your arsehole - as Signor Factoriolio has done here.

Mischief Maker

Post by Mischief Maker »

Now they're coming for the MILF Mobile:
Brittney Glidden drives Maine’s most beloved vehicle. It’s a 2013 teal Chrysler Town & Country minivan. An enormous custom-made “MILF Mobile” logo is plastered on its rear windshield.

“Everyone loves my van, except for Karens,” Glidden said, referring to a pejorative term for entitled white women. “Karens hate it.”

Glidden’s ride also sports “Kids in this bitch, honk if one falls out,” “If you’re gonna ride my ass, at least pull my hair,” and “Condoms prevent minivans” stickers. A “TITSOUT” vanity plate is latched to the MILF Mobile’s bumper.

“The plate references the fact that I exclusively breastfed all four of my children,” Glidden said. “And that I frequently drive topless. Maine is in fact a topless state.”

The MILF Mobile’s local fame hasn’t come without opposition. Each viral post on Maine Facebook featuring the mid-2000s whip is swarmed with replies demanding that Glidden “grow up” and rethink her van’s controversial design. And unfortunately, state lawmakers have been listening to the internet haters.
https://theintercept.com/2021/07/04/mil ... ee-speech/
Two working class dudes, one black one white, just baked a tray of ten cookies together.

An oligarch walks in and grabs nine cookies for himself.

Then he says to the white dude "Watch out for that black dude, he wants a piece of your cookie!"
BIL

Post by BIL »

Oh shit, my boy Lorne's home state! :o I have been reading up on this frigid northern frontier bordering Canuckistan. It looks lovely in the summer, but I got enough of that fuckin dry cold studying in Toronto for a year! Cuck Island cold is annoying at worst, Canuckistani cold is painful. Also Lorne might kill you on one of his nightly drink driving sessions.

I hope she stays on the road. I say that with some hypocrisy because I wouldn't drive that vehicle myself (I am not a Mom but rather a Man you'd like to fuck Image), but I don't think the world is made a darker place by "ONLY GAY COPS GIVE ME TICKETS" or "THIS VEHICLE MAKES REGULAR STOPS AT YOUR MOM'S HOUSE," and certainly not tits! It is pretty rude I guess but I am from a fastidiously non-rude place with hellacious murder and wealth inequality rates, so that stuff only means so much to me nowadays tbh.
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

Nobody has cancelled the CRAFTSMAN brand yet? Pathetic.

"Class, today we're going to learn about other cultures!"
Cancelist: Calling them "Other" is problematic.
"First, here's Carthage. Recent studies conclude that the stories weren't just propaganda, and they actually did sacrifice infants in fire."
Cancelist: Regrettable, but who am I to judge?
"Second, here's an old guy who still uses 'man' as gender neutral."
Cancelist: HE, TOO, HAS CHOSEN TO DIE IN FIRE!!!

A short diversion: Isaac Asimov is my favorite example of a person with shitty opinions on women who nevertheless wrote some real bangers in his day. "The Dead Past" may be just a takeoff of the criminally obscure "E For Effort," but Asimov's spin on the basic plotline makes it more obviously applicable to our current predicament with people who have decided that the best way to achieve utopia is by being as toxic as possible: "Happy goldfish bowl to you, to me, to everyone, and may each of you fry in hell forever. Arrest rescinded." Special note for burgerland residents: Are we losing our expectation of privacy?
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

BIL wrote:Oh shit, my boy Lorne's home state! :o I have been reading up on this frigid northern frontier bordering Canuckistan. It looks lovely in the summer, but I got enough of that fuckin dry cold studying in Toronto for a year! Cuck Island cold is annoying at worst, Canuckistani cold is painful. Also Lorne might kill you on one of his nightly drink driving sessions.

I hope she stays on the road. I say that with some hypocrisy because I wouldn't drive that vehicle myself (I am not a Mom but rather a Man you'd like to fuck Image), but I don't think the world is made a darker place by "ONLY GAY COPS GIVE ME TICKETS" or "THIS VEHICLE MAKES REGULAR STOPS AT YOUR MOM'S HOUSE," and certainly not tits! It is pretty rude I guess but I am from a fastidiously non-rude place with hellacious murder and wealth inequality rates, so that stuff only means so much to me nowadays tbh.
Canuckistan cold will freeze your golden POC buns indeed. Tronna is actually pretty mild compared to the rest of the Cuntry. My brother's wife is from Trinidad and she hates the winter cold in Windsor which is also on the mild side. When they visit here in Québec City in the winter she flips out. Lol.

Interesting your 3+ daily showers in the tropics thing. I can believe it! Not too bad if it's quick 5 minutes tops. I'd totally follow the locals way if it prevents my nordic CRACKA ass-crack from erupting in fire and zits hahaha

By the way I'm quite fond of your tropics upbringing. Gives a real CONTRA/Predator vibe to your backstory as a gaming commando. Birthplace : THE JUNGLE
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
BIL

Post by BIL »

Ed Oscuro wrote:"First, here's Carthage. Recent studies conclude that the stories weren't just propaganda, and they actually did sacrifice infants in fire."
Cancelist: Regrettable, but who am I to judge?
"Second, here's an old guy who still uses 'man' as gender neutral."
Cancelist: HE, TOO, HAS CHOSEN TO DIE IN FIRE!!!
:lol:

DARE YE GAZE UPON THIS CATALOGUE OF OUTRAGE (■`W´■)
Damn, lotta names to snitch on when the revolution comes, brb making alt acct "KraftsMAC N CHEEZE" (`ω´メ)
FinalBaton wrote:My brother's wife is from Trinidad and she hates the winter cold in Windsor which is also on the mild side. When they visit here in Québec City in the winter she flips out. Lol.
Blimey, can imagine :o My family history was the opposite, mom took one look at the relatively harmless Cuckfordshire winter and told me old man it was her or the footie. He has been bitching ever since! :cool:
Interesting your 3+ daily showers in the tropics thing. I can believe it! Not too bad if it's quick 5 minutes tops. I'd totally follow the locals way if it prevents my nordic CRACKA ass-crack from erupting in fire and zits hahaha
A lot depends on the air-con situation - you can get away with two if you're in an office job, or something relatively unstrenuous. Also, people tend to be a lot more understanding of manual workers going shirtless, that helps a lot! But yes, much like the bone-biting cold informs life OOP NAWFF (fucking hell, thinking about this one dude I know IRL who fixed busted fuel pipes in the Yukon for a living, said his buddy made the fatal error of touching some exposed metal and needed skin grafts off his own asscheeks to fix his new Freddy Krueger hand :shock:), so does the swimming humidity of near-equatorial life. Have no doubt! Regulate that shit, or GOD AND JESUS WILL PUNISH YOUR CRACK Image
God

Post by God »

Resorting to censorship is the same as admitting you have a weak product in the marketplace of ideas.

At this point the censorship is without a doubt being used politically. Tolerating it is madness.
Sengoku Strider

God wrote:Resorting to censorship is the same as admitting you have a weak product in the marketplace of ideas.

At this point the censorship is without a doubt being used politically. Tolerating it is madness.
There wasn't ever any debate about it being political. It's literally organs of power regulating the expressed thoughts and actions of others.

But saying it means "you have a weak product in the marketplace of ideas" presumes people are rational and bad or destructive ideas don't spread like viruses. Unfortunately every relevant field from economics to political science to psychology has come to the unavoidable realization that people as a whole, are not rational.

The contradiction that the unlimited free speech argument always runs into is the notion that someone's freedom to say shitty & abusive things should outweigh people's right to live free from senseless abuse. That the onus should be on the person being harmed to get over it rather than the other person to act like a grownup & just stop being a dick for five minutes. It's pretty easy to see where the weight of societal harm lies here.

That doesn't mean people don't take the cancel thing to absurd extremes, or use it as a rhetorical cudgel to bully others. Or deploy it hypocritically. It also doesn't mean there aren't things said that people should just get over, rather than wallow in outraged victimhood over things which barely register as minimal slights.

But it can't be a binary "tolerate/don't tolerate censorship" decision.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Well said
drauch

Post by drauch »

Just do some magic to form to your will, God. Seems pretty cut and dry to me.
BIL wrote: "Small sack, LOTS OF CUM" - Nikola Tesla
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

Sengoku Strider wrote:Unfortunately every relevant field from economics to political science to psychology has come to the unavoidable realization that people as a whole, are not rational.
This is often referred to in the form of Planck's principle. It's a bit depressing to think about how little change comes about through rational reflection and conscious change, rather than generational shifts.
BryanM

Post by BryanM »

Cornel West got cancelled by Harvard, or self-cancelled after being treated like shit for so long.

I always find it strange when such men are associated with such institutions. Richard Wolff always likes to mention how many doors opened to him due to being an alumni of Harvard, Stanford, and Yale.

"You went to Yale? Come in brother!"
"Yay! Let's destroy capitalism together!
".... who let this freak in?"
Sengoku Strider wrote:But saying it means "you have a weak product in the marketplace of ideas" presumes people are rational and bad or destructive ideas don't spread like viruses. Unfortunately every relevant field from economics to political science to psychology has come to the unavoidable realization that people as a whole, are not rational.
Eh, I think humans are completely rational. They want social status, to feel good about themselves, they want to be entertained, and they don't want to think about things outside their immediate life experiences. (As that wastes precious time that could be spent on entertainment or self-fellation.)

I always mention the orthogonality thesis when it comes to terminal values, and how unimportant symbols are*. If humans are insane suicide cultists that plan to backslide themselves into worse than the stone age from a climate apocalypse, then that's just what they were designed to be. We should be proud of them, accomplishing their goals like that.

* (Though making a canonically cosmic space monster god into an anthropomorphized grandpa does betray a ton of narcissism, we already knew everyone is a narcissist. So we gained nothing and wasted our time thinking about it!)
Mischief Maker

Post by Mischief Maker »

BryanM wrote:* (Though making a canonically cosmic space monster god into an anthropomorphized grandpa does betray a ton of narcissism, we already knew everyone is a narcissist. So we gained nothing and wasted our time thinking about it!)
That's not narcissism, that's fanservice.

To sell this weird new Christianity religion to long-pagan Rome, they had to make Jehovah look identical to their more familiar (and feared) Jupiter/Zeus.
Two working class dudes, one black one white, just baked a tray of ten cookies together.

Then he says to the white dude "Watch out for that black dude, he wants a piece of your cookie!"
Sengoku Strider

BryanM wrote:Eh, I think humans are completely rational...orthogonality thesis
This goes down a cognitive science well that most of this thread probably doesn't want to read, but the distinction here is between an intelligence purely based in propositional knowing, and one which possesses wisdom. We can say that the AI mentioned in the video is intelligent, but a fool (foolishness being the opposite or absence of wisdom).

The TL;DR version is pretty much this:

Stamp AI is stuck in panel 4. It has a defined a goal state, but hasn't successfully mapped a problem space to get there, and is unaware of that fact. There are multiple solutions to any problem, but there are not multiple good solutions (ie. paths to reach your goal state) to most problems. Wisdom is distinct from expertise, and can be characterized as being able to reliably find good solutions among many to novel cross-domainal problems.

It's the response to statements like "No, people who believe Trump is the savior aren't stupid, there are lots of people with college degrees who voted for him, even doctors." Those people were able to pass a highly structured set of problems in school and develop expertise. But for some reason also thought an impulsive moral degenerate gameshow host with zero political experience, a string of failed scams and literally thousands of lawsuits against him would totally kick ass at running an atomic superpower with the world's largest economy. In trying to find a way from A to B, they somehow collectively wound up at W.

Same with conspiracy theories, it's people searching for a solution path from A to B and just writing their own alphabet because fuck it.
Mischief Maker wrote:To sell this weird new Christianity religion to long-pagan Rome, they had to make Jehovah look identical to their more familiar (and feared) Jupiter/Zeus.
People of the past were so silly.

vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

Sengoku Strider wrote: It's the response to statements like "No, people who believe Trump is the savior aren't stupid, there are lots of people with college degrees who voted for him, even doctors." Those people were able to pass a highly structured set of problems in school and develop expertise. But for some reason also thought an impulsive moral degenerate gameshow host with zero political experience, a string of failed scams and literally thousands of lawsuits against him would totally kick ass at running an atomic superpower with the world's largest economy. In trying to find a way from A to B, they somehow collectively wound up at W.
A lot of these people are correct in believing that the system is fucked up, and they see him as a guy who is going to disrupt things and cause change. They see change as necessary (which it is) and they want to be on a side that reflects "the country that they want to live in." In some cases, I think they actually share the values he is pushing. He's also a bully, and that appeals to those who favor authoritarianism. He kind of reminds me of Franco in a way, and I'm sure he would be thrilled with the comparison.
BryanM

Post by BryanM »

Eh, the experts care more about getting their taxes cut and getting in on the grift more than the holy war "what would you like your reality to be" Megami Tensei stuff. They, more than anyone, had an immediate goal and achieved all of it within about three seconds into 2017. The people who wish it was still 1952 only got aesthetics, a comfort blanket instead.

Look at how extreme a thing reform would be: we've groomed children from birth to believe that it is good and right for them to spend 85% of their time alive on this planet working to make someone else money. We're going to, what? Destroy car culture in 10 years? Tell them their entire lives weren't just a waste, but were actively making things worse?

That kind of egodeath is not something any normie could tolerate. It would be like telling the developers on World of Warcraft they've only been making the game shittier, and they should just release some kinda... "WoW Classic", and then fire themselves. It's just not gonna happen - death really is preferable to change, especially change that would result in a massive drop of social status, to the majority of people.

It's a slow grindy apocalypse, and denial is easy. And damn near universal, outside of doomer circles.
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

you can't really bring the rich tax republicans into the mix on this one. those people were always going to vote to the right no matter who was on the ticket. they just got an extra 200 bucks when passing GO this time around.
BryanM wrote: Look at how extreme a thing reform would be:
the right wants extreme, just like they always have. but not progressive; authoritarian, nationalist, supremacist.
Sengoku Strider

vol.2 wrote:A lot of these people are correct in believing that the system is fucked up, and they see him as a guy who is going to disrupt things and cause change. They see change as necessary (which it is) and they want to be on a side that reflects "the country that they want to live in." In some cases, I think they actually share the values he is pushing. He's also a bully, and that appeals to those who favor authoritarianism. He kind of reminds me of Franco in a way, and I'm sure he would be thrilled with the comparison.
So, this is a perfect example of what we were talking about.

They identified a problem: "I'm supposed to have a higher socio-economic status than this."

They identified at least a couple of problem constraints:

- Republicans attempting to woo Hispanic Catholics rather than assert white status.
- Politicians owned by lobbyists, working class problems don't rate.
- Conservative reading of Christianity fading in social influence.

Those constraints led them to the "smash the system" conclusion and Trump and his promise to MAGA.

According to the orthogonality thesis Bryan was talking about, it was a success and they're being perfectly rational. Economy & jobs increased, liberals everywhere were in a daily freakout over the guy, hyper-conservative judges installed in supreme court, white supremacy got the biggest shot in the arm it's had in living memory.

Except bringing operationalized wisdom into the mix, we can see why in a bigger picture view this whole exercise was deeply foolish. Those jobs were mostly low-paying service jobs, further cementing the economic class divide. The "improved" economy - which actually just kept along the rate of growth he inherited - was achieved through adding 7 trillion dollars to the 19 trillion dollar national debt. His tax cuts on the rich had literally no impact due to the Laffer Curve, except making the class divide even dividier. Liberals were freaking out every day because the man was a foolish asshole fucking up lives for his power fantasies, not because they couldn't handle how tough & cool he was. The white supremacy thing ended up getting cities across the country torched in anger.

There was also the thing where his immediate reaction to a global pandemic was "This will make my economic numbers go down. That'll hurt my re-election chances. I have to stop people from paying attention to this."

Half a million dead later it was the greatest disaster in American history outside the Civil War (which it's about to pass in just over a quarter of the time). And no doubt when the final tally is taken, a great many will be among his voters who refused to wear masks or get vaccines because they were following his lead.
BryanM

Post by BryanM »

Eh, I don't think anyone really gives a shit about the "economy" beyond a talking point. It's way too subtle and more an affirmation of faith in your team than anything else. Just another distraction bullet point the clucking chickens on TV have groomed people into thinking they need to "care" about.

Outside of the old WPA, it's rather hard to feel like the powers upstream are doing anything to solidly influence it one way or another. Maybe the endlessly ballooning weapons manufacturing market, but that's a bipartisan consensus.
vol.2 wrote:the right wants extreme, just like they always have. but not progressive; authoritarian, nationalist, supremacist.
From a moral framework that has human empathy within it, yeah of course. But from the point of view of who has actual power in the world, it's just the regular old status quo.
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

BryanM wrote: From a moral framework that has human empathy within it, yeah of course. But from the point of view of who has actual power in the world, it's just the regular old status quo.
I'm starting to get confused about which part of the trump electorate we are talking about here, but I don't think that is universally true. I believe that a large number of the swing voters who elected him (because those are the only ones worth analyzing, the rich tax republicans are solely in it to protect their wealth) actually [believe they] want a greater disruption.

Except bringing operationalized wisdom into the mix, we can see why in a bigger picture view this whole exercise was deeply foolish.
The point I starting making (and then got side-tracked from) was that the kind of education is really the issue. While I still believe that everyone must ultimately be responsible for their own actions, the void of "wisdom" in contemporary american culture is no huge mystery.

One of my friends from university teaches at a primary school in Switzerland, and she tells me that they actually teach meditation to the kids there. That's the kind of education missing from our culture. I know this is kind of a digression, but one of my favorite Buddhist mediation teachers gave a good talk last week. Imagine if the whole country had those tools as children.
BIL

Post by BIL »

In news from Cuck Island, the Rubicon is well and truly crossed, as cancel fanatics target the Rainbow Dildo Butt Monkey.
Sengoku Strider

BIL wrote:In news from Cuck Island, the Rubicon is well and truly crossed, as cancel fanatics target the Rainbow Dildo Butt Monkey.
I'm with team fanatics for this one. Where can I buy a scarf?
BIL

Post by BIL »

Just a green tea towel will do for a bandanna tbh Image I always knew Islam would save this blighted land from the RDBM scourge, co-existence was sadly never an option Image

EDIT: Jesus Christ :lol: Official codename for RDBM was "Meddlesome Monkey." Never mind Brass Eye, this is The League of Gentlemen's "Legz Akimbo" skits gone IRL. Rejected names presumably included "Interfering Orangutan" and... EDIT2: Hold the fuck up. Image

Spoiler

Forget the noncing about for a sec - this government-sponsored Child Reading Initiative's official account misspelled "meddlesome," TWICE, IDENTICALLY. :evil: Good gravy, the standards... are English children to be buttmonkeyed AND badly tutored?
Steamflogger Boss

Post by Steamflogger Boss »

Someone in the mtg community was canceled recently. Didn't find out about it until today. It's a bit hard to know everything 100% since she deleted her account. The gist of it is that she is really into black guys and obviously there is racist stuff there. Then she issued a bizarre non-apology (apparently, I haven't seen it myself since it was deleted and I didn't go digging too hard for a screen cap) that was received poorly. Also, I think there is stuff about her being a sexual predator at mtg events. Not sure if these are before or after she transitioned.
Mischief Maker

Post by Mischief Maker »

On a reverse cancel culture story, I can't believe Kyle Kulinski sided with Jimmy Dore against Ana Kasparian.

It's not a he said/she said, Jimmy Dore openly bragged about sexually harassing her and laughed about how hard he owned her in front of her students. "Then everybody clapped!"

And when Kyle tried to distance himself in a way that to me went way too easy on Dore, Jimmy blasted him as a sellout (shocking, I know). So Kyle responded by righteously dropping out of TYT Network in the vain hope of appeasing the crazy man.

I don't know what it is with these New Atheists and feminism. Every single time. You'd think since religion comes down way harder on women than men they'd be all about female empowerment synergizing with their pro-secular values. I thought Kyle was the exception to this depressing rule, but I guess not.

Blinge

Post by Blinge »

I feel a genuine violent impulse looking at the human behind the monkey.
That guy needs to be 'educated' alright

oh looky looky
BryanM

Post by BryanM »

Mischief Maker wrote:On a reverse cancel culture story, I can't believe Kyle Kulinski sided with Jimmy Dore against Ana Kasparian.
Just because you hate the guy, it doesn't mean he's not right or that Ana and TYT isn't garbage.

I'm sure you think Aaron's a rapist and a Russian asset too, I guess...
openly bragged about sexually harassing her
oh I thought this was gonna be a Vaush link. Can't believe you're still watching political opinion pieces on youtube, especially Seder.

This drama was stupid the day they kept making public mixtapes to respond to each other. It's the apocalypse, and you're worried about internet drama.