The Cancel Culture thread! WOO!

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
BIL

Re: The Cancel Culture thread! WOO!

Post by BIL »

Oh shit :shock: This palaver just cost Piers Morgan his job. :lol: GOLDEN PARACHUTE, ACTIVATE

Maybe he'll form up like Voltron with Andrew Marr's new outfit! :o Open the gates of my Hell / I'LL STRIKE FROM THE GRAVE Image

Meanwhile, QUEENIE STRIKES BACK ALSO

Recollections
May
Vary

Blimey, two to the chest and one in the dome of this particular pork pie, methinks. Now they have to clarify or slink off, and this new show is some crazy shit!

Against my better judgement, I'm gonna side with Queenie on this one Burinju. My granny was very happy to see her, when she and Based Phillip visited one year. I can't remember what words were exchanged, because I was tiny and bored to tears, but it's a happy memory. As far as child soldiers go it wasn't the worst indoctrination. >_>
BryanM

Post by BryanM »

Just remembered that shoe and japjac have youtube channels. Feeling very unaccomplished with my life right now.

Piers will totally have another media job within a month. He's a loyal soldier of capital.

I googled this Harry/Meghan thingy lightly to have some sense of what the hell you guys are talking about. The blood quantum fucks gave them a hard time because she's like 3% non-white or something??? (And Piers is mad because she didn't have sex with him?) Did I get all that right?
BIL

Post by BIL »

TBH, I am observing the raging conflict from the underbrush with my field glasses and a bag of Cheetos, but the takeaway is: PRINCEHARRY and MS. MARPLE done an interview w/OPRAHWINFEY, in which it were alleged:

1) SOMEONE said "Blimey I hope that baby is not BLACK LIKE U LMAO"

2) ARCHIE got shitcanned of he rightful title, because he ■▌█▓ ■▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓ ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓ ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓ ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓■▌█▓ ■▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓ ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓ ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓ ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓■▌█▓ ■▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓ ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓ ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓ ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓■▌█▓ ■▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓ ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓ ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓ ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓■▌█▓ ■▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓ ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓ ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓ ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓■▌█▓ ■▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓ ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓ ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓ ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓■▌█▓ ■▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓ ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓ ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓ ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
BIL

Post by BIL »

I'm sorry, I sprayed Cheeto dust so violently attempting to type that last bit, it knocked out my router. Ahem.

Because he is black.

Obvious questions are 1) Who said the racisms? PUBLIC WANT 2 KNOW. "I can tell u it weren't me granny or Based Phil!" piped up PRINCEHARRY, after. "YEAH ROIGHT, THEY MAKING SHIT UP BECAUSE SHE A GRASPING CLOUT CHASING YANKY COW, INNIT" say some (I do wonder!)

2) Did the palace really strip ARCHIE of his title because breathe, breathe, breathe, he is black? Again, less charitable souls say this is pure grift, ALSO bringing up rumblings of the long-dormant GINGER CRISIS, eg, no son of PRINCEHARRY would ever be given a title, because PRINCEHARRY is the product of Totsugeki! Wanpaku Di-Hime's Doki-Doki Cavalry Fuck Fest ("Charge! Naughty Princess Di's Heart-Pounding Cavalry Fuck Fest").

TLDR Either teh royal family is hilariously racist, or PRINCEHARRY and he unpopular wife are telling some very carefully redacted porkies for fun and profit.

Last edited by BIL on Wed Mar 10, 2021 12:11 am, edited 2 times in total.
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

Blinge wrote: My family tried to talk to me about that shit in a zoom call. cmon man! I've decided in IRL that i'm gonna refuse to look at or discuss anything pertaining to royal gossip ever again. Simply refuse to engage on any level, respond with silence, say "i don't want to talk about that."
I wonder how much I'd suffer, socially. At least people will be spared my opinions.

Not sure if we have a real equivalent, but it reminds me of how my dad is basically glued to anything political all day long. He's sucked into the whole Trump Vs. the (fill in the blank) drama created in the US media. It's basically impossible to get away from the topic with him.

Seriously makes me want to puke sometimes when I go over there and it's like news outlets on the TV (loudly) all the time.

In a way, it's worse that our drama is fully played out by the actual politicos. All 100% of the soap opera that all the people seem to want (Royal Family or no) falls in the laps of the Bill Clintons and such of the world. There's a good reason that Ronald Reagan made a good transition from hollywood to politics; the time was right.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Saw this speech by Tim Ryan this morning. Someone is finally making a decent play at the minimum wage. Let's hope it doesn't all fall on willingly deaf ears. I like how he says they should stop talking about Dr. Seuss.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1369403905956847618
BIL

Post by BIL »

Haha, oh wow. Paty's sawed-off head bounced on pavement for this? A vile union of teenage bullshit and a subculture about as intellectually secure, birthing cancellation par excellence.
Anatoly Rybakov wrote:Death solves all problems. No man, no problem.
Brahim Chnina wrote:“I never thought my messages would be seen by terrorists. I didn’t want to harm anyone with that message. It’s hard to imagine how we got here, that we’ve lost a history professor and everyone blames me.”
NGL g I hope you get passed around by skinheads and reduced to a mumbling shell caked in Vichy cum.

(don't get at me, BULLET MANGET! Image :shock: I deliberately posted the direct link! teh grauniad get a pass. they are hilarious, AND they beg openly 4 cash :cool:)
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

Just imagine how Samuel Paty's family feels because an idiot student decided to be a little asshole. Holy shit.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Don't forget her dad who sounded the alarm on Paty either.
Islam is a force multiplier that turns any situation into a shit sandwich right quick.
1cc List - Youtube - You emptylock my heart
BIL

Post by BIL »

This problem will be with us forever. Its components are generic and self-replenishing. [murderous dogma] plus [nonacquiescence] and that's that. Unfortunately, in the current state of Western Europe, the choppers don't have the force to win, while the chopped don't have the will to acknowledge the problem, let alone rectify it. And so they will continue this merry dance.

I do hope the utter farce of this latest development at least de-mystifies things. Rehabilitating victims of systemic abuse is a bitch. Why yes, John Q. Honky-Ass Cracker Motherfucker - that is indeed a woodchipper idling in the public square. Yes, it's acquired many decals over the millennia! It's a very ancient thing. No, you're not [pick a slur] for noticing the woodchipper. It won't cry if you remark that it's a bit dangerous to leave unattended. You might cry, if a fanatic hears you insulted his dude, and feeds you or your children feet-first into it. Let's work on making that as difficult to occur as possible.

The mulching, not the insulting. As is now proven, in some tiny consolation for those grieving Paty, truth is completely superfluous to fanatics. PROTIP: Children burnt alive by the Church weren't actually witches, either. Wow! It's almost like giving dogma undue influence and protection gets people murdered, whether they "deserved" it or not.

Or rather, you work on that. I'm gonna fuck off back home as soon as my contract's up, and hopefully never think about this insanity ever again. Holy fuck. (I do not mean to sound flippant, I just don't want to imply I've more at stake here than fondness)

I typed "murderous dogman," and wished I could've left it.

Sengoku Strider

Post by Sengoku Strider »

BareKnuckleRoo wrote:Just imagine how Samuel Paty's family feels because an idiot student decided to be a little asshole. Holy shit.
Blinge wrote:Don't forget her dad who sounded the alarm on Paty either.
Islam is a force multiplier that turns any situation into a shit sandwich right quick.
Here's the thing - that girl was 13 years old. She was a 13 year old fuck up having a hard time in school who it seems had a kind of intense dad. Kids are assholes at the best of times, and it's probably not a super good time to be muslim in France right now. I can think of a whole lot of reasons a kid might want/need to dodge school in her shoes.

I was a 13 year old fuck up having a hard time in school and I didn't even have a strict dad or cultural issues to deal with, and I can 100% see my kid brain spinning up some dick move fantasy on the spot to weasel out of trouble. It's a reflex you start to develop because when you're a fuck up you get punished constantly, and as time goes on more and more severely (dad wasn't strict, but the school had other notions). But because you're a fuck up it has little to no corrective value, so you kind of know it's just going to continue indefinitely. As a result your inner Loki pretty much starts channeling itself as a survival response.

Next, the dad. Dad got pissed, and made a social media rant standing up for his daughter, and against what he thought was discrimination. Said the teacher should be fired. There is nothing unique to Islam in all of that, social media is full of parents with way less reason or right to complain going off on similar rants. I don't think he did anything wrong.

This is all pretty much on the killer. Said killer was your classic angry young man.™ Chechnya is a fucked up place to be from. Being 18, his entire childhood would have spent during the 10 years of the 2nd Chechen war. It was a breakaway republic that the Russians had decided they wanted back. The Russians don't even pretend to play nice, and the result was a government that made the list of the top 10 most oppressive regimes on Earth, tied for #1 with Sudan, Somalia & North Korea. Disappearings, executions, pogroms, the whole nine yards. Being 2 countries over from Turkey it's also 95% muslim.

So. Young guy with fucked up warzone/totalitarian childhood, now out of place. Lived his whole life with his culture under attack (Chechen fighting didn't even end until 2017), and now here he is in the Netherlands with France next door undergoing ethno-nationalist regression and anti-muslim fervour. And here comes a little girl getting picked on and the prophet shamed and insulted, now he's got a righteous vent for his anger.

Is he a psycho? Probably. There are millions of people in the same situation who didn't have the same response. But is his situation unique to Islam? Nah. You can find plenty of similar examples in America alone. Atomwwaffen division, the nutjobs who tried to kidnap the governor of Michigan, the Las Vegas shooting, Dylan Roof, etc. etc. Culture plays a role for sure (there's a reason all that stuff is happening in the US & not other 1st world countries), and so does religion. But the character of religion changes radically when a culture is under threat; an ordinarily benign faith becomes a unifying cultural force against said threat. It's happened with just about everything from Shintō to Buddhism to Judaism to Hinduism.
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

Sengoku Strider wrote:This is all pretty much on the killer.
I think understand your feeling about this. I definitely think that if society wants to exact catharsis in some particular direction, the release must hang this shithead.

How however, it's not a matter of finding an individual to pin blame on. There is no one person in the whole song and dance that's solely responsible for the situation. IMHO, it's a perfect example of religious extremism and the dangers of the continuing trend towards the reliance on extremism as a means to combat corrupt establishments. If the human race cannot shed religion, at least in-so-far as major government/structural institutions go, we are all doomed. We are probably doomed anyway, but some fictional universe where we don't end up destroying the earth and ourselves only exists post-religion.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Sure there's other examples of people going postal, but how many have religion as the common denominator? A fuckton.
This one is a particularly virulent strain of mind-virus.

Strider your post lets the dad off the hook a bit too much, also. The outrage begins with him, that outrage has the force multiplier. Also how many terrorist attacks need to happen in France alone for people like him to know there might be repercussions for the fingers he's pointing online.
Sengoku Strider wrote: an ordinarily benign faith
Well, there's an oxymoron if I've ever seen one.

Even if everything you say is right, i'm not really sure what your point is.
That this is nothing new, or nothing unique? Sure, but Islam just seems to be the worst one in the present day, so it gets discussed more accordingly.
1cc List - Youtube - You emptylock my heart
Mortificator

Post by Mortificator »

Sengoku Strider wrote:Here's the thing - that girl was 13 years old. She was a 13 year old fuck up having a hard time in school who it seems had a kind of intense dad. Kids are assholes at the best of times, and it's probably not a super good time to be muslim in France right now. I can think of a whole lot of reasons a kid might want/need to dodge school in her shoes.

I was a 13 year old fuck up having a hard time in school and I didn't even have a strict dad or cultural issues to deal with, and I can 100% see my kid brain spinning up some dick move fantasy on the spot to weasel out of trouble. It's a reflex you start to develop because when you're a fuck up you get punished constantly, and as time goes on more and more severely (dad wasn't strict, but the school had other notions). But because you're a fuck up it has little to no corrective value, so you kind of know it's just going to continue indefinitely. As a result your inner Loki pretty much starts channeling itself as a survival response.

Next, the dad. Dad got pissed, and made a social media rant standing up for his daughter, and against what he thought was discrimination. Said the teacher should be fired. There is nothing unique to Islam in all of that, social media is full of parents with way less reason or right to complain going off on similar rants. I don't think he did anything wrong.

This is all pretty much on the killer. Said killer was your classic angry young man.™ Chechnya is a fucked up place to be from. Being 18, his entire childhood would have spent during the 10 years of the 2nd Chechen war. It was a breakaway republic that the Russians had decided they wanted back. The Russians don't even pretend to play nice, and the result was a government that made the list of the top 10 most oppressive regimes on Earth, tied for #1 with Sudan, Somalia & North Korea. Disappearings, executions, pogroms, the whole nine yards. Being 2 countries over from Turkey it's also 95% muslim.

So. Young guy with fucked up warzone/totalitarian childhood, now out of place. Lived his whole life with his culture under attack (Chechen fighting didn't even end until 2017), and now here he is in the Netherlands with France next door undergoing ethno-nationalist regression and anti-muslim fervour. And here comes a little girl getting picked on and the prophet shamed and insulted, now he's got a righteous vent for his anger.

Is he a psycho? Probably. There are millions of people in the same situation who didn't have the same response. But is his situation unique to Islam? Nah. You can find plenty of similar examples in America alone. Atomwwaffen division, the nutjobs who tried to kidnap the governor of Michigan, the Las Vegas shooting, Dylan Roof, etc. etc. Culture plays a role for sure (there's a reason all that stuff is happening in the US & not other 1st world countries), and so does religion. But the character of religion changes radically when a culture is under threat; an ordinarily benign faith becomes a unifying cultural force against said threat. It's happened with just about everything from Shintō to Buddhism to Judaism to Hinduism.
A lot of pathos here. Thanks for writing it.
RegalSin wrote:You can't even drive across the country Naked anymore
headlesshobbs

Post by headlesshobbs »

So when's Fucker-, er Tucker Carlson gonna take a dive?

Seems like he's been trying to take up the mantel so badly ever since Rush croaked and burning his own arse on a repeated basis.
"Don't HD my SD!!"
BIL

Post by BIL »

Gentlemen, I cannot teach your teen daughters how to do anal. But there is a magazine that can! (■`ω´■)

And it is now EXTRA-HALAL (◎ω◎;)

Social media is amazing. Much like Fish Play Street Fighter, I just can't help observing these goldfish bludgeon one another! Image
Spoiler
^^^ YE I AGREE DONNA-CHAN Image
Spoiler
Y U PUT ALLA THIS OUT THERE THO :o

^^^ it's like hanging out under this guy. You're gonna get shit on eventually! :shock:
Mischief Maker

Post by Mischief Maker »

I think you're leaving out the inter-office politics angle of this whole story.

A lot of people got passed by her for that editor's job, and it was those coworkers of hers who created this shitstorm in the first place. They don't call them Conde Nasties for nothing!

Just like "Brooklyn Dad" being outed as a paid operative, a lot of "organic" social media movements are anything but.
Two working class dudes, one black one white, just baked a tray of ten cookies together.

An oligarch walks in and grabs nine cookies for himself.

Then he says to the white dude "Watch out for that black dude, he wants a piece of your cookie!"
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

Mischief Maker wrote:
Just like "Brooklyn Dad" being outed as a paid operative, a lot of "organic" social media movements are anything but.
Oh crap, don't me started on that horseshit. I have to deal with VR related stuff for professional reasons and I'm constantly running up against the paid FB shills in the Oculus division. They are seriously all over the internet in force, but generally they won't admit to it if called out. You say "it seems like you have an unusual stake in this issue, do you work for FB?" And no answer, but then shill B shows up and says "oh, I guess anyone who speaks up for FB is instantly an employee?" Or some such nonsense. It's aweful. (SIC)

Especially with any company that works in social media, you should assume that they are out there directing conversations and covering each other's asses in a clever (most of the time), organized way. For bejezus sakes, it's basically their job gettin paid for to go out there and do that. They got quotas just like everybody else.
segasonicfan

Post by segasonicfan »

I really don't like the phrase "cancel culture" - its a super unproductive catch-all phrase in my opinion that doesnt really describe the problem.

The problem is cyber bullying, shaming, word policing/tone policing, and things of that nature. Like, lumping it all into some vague phrase just makes it so that when people have legitimate complaints, they get labeled as a "cancel culture snowflake" or something. And then it enables bullying and abuse, because a bully can just say "oh stop trying to cancel me" when they are hurting someone.

I think we are all sick of the tone policing, the self-righteousness, etc. I hope we can find better words to communicate our annoyances with it and have some heart for people that are actually having a hard time.
I design retro gaming add-ons and repair old consoles :)
My Website: Segasonicfan Designs http://www.segasonicfan.wixsite.com/retro
GaijinPunch

Post by GaijinPunch »

segasonicfan wrote: The problem is cyber bullying, shaming, word policing/tone policing, and things of that nature.
I don't see those issues being addressed through "cancel culture". I see people holding up earlier (sometimes decades old) pop culture through a modern day lens and deciding it is unsuitable and getting out the pitch forks. Obviously some things should probably be cancelled, such as this not so subtle nugget. I mean, it has an ethnic slur. I think if someone came in and tried to cancel Airplane (which by all measures could not be produced today) I generally tend to think it's gone too far. Even if something is in bad taste by today's standards I believe cancelling is tantamount to erasing history. (Airplane probably offended quite a few people back then too!). Just my 2 cents.
RegalSin wrote:New PowerPuff Girls. They all have evil pornstart eyelashes.
segasonicfan

Post by segasonicfan »

GaijinPunch wrote:
segasonicfan wrote: The problem is cyber bullying, shaming, word policing/tone policing, and things of that nature.
I don't see those issues being addressed through "cancel culture". I see people holding up earlier (sometimes decades old) pop culture through a modern day lens and deciding it is unsuitable and getting out the pitch forks. Obviously some things should probably be cancelled, such as this not so subtle nugget. I mean, it has an ethnic slur. I think if someone came in and tried to cancel Airplane (which by all measures could not be produced today) I generally tend to think it's gone too far. Even if something is in bad taste by today's standards I believe cancelling is tantamount to erasing history. (Airplane probably offended quite a few people back then too!). Just my 2 cents.
oh wow - its GaijinPunch!! *feverish bowing* ;D

Yeah, I agree. what I mean is that the term itself "cancel culture" feels vague and shaming and unhelpful. Is it cyber bullying, shaming, word policing/tone policing, and things of that nature? Is it censoring old movies and music? Is it putting down people? Like, people mean different things with these "catch-all" terms. I never know what is being talking about. Just like someday says "shooter" and I think we're talking aout Aleste, but nope, they meant Call of Duty.

The term itself also implies a shift in responsibility - like "canceller" is always the aggressor. Idk, I've known bullies and I've known whiney tone-policers. I think terms like this further the toxic "us v. them" dynamics, and I think we could use a whole lot less of that.

Let's all just order a pizza and play Panorama Cotton :)
I design retro gaming add-ons and repair old consoles :)
My Website: Segasonicfan Designs http://www.segasonicfan.wixsite.com/retro
Mischief Maker

Post by Mischief Maker »

GaijinPunch wrote:I see people holding up earlier (sometimes decades old) pop culture through a modern day lens and deciding it is unsuitable and getting out the pitch forks.
As opposed to the Fox News crowd losing their shit over a Cardi B song?
Two working class dudes, one black one white, just baked a tray of ten cookies together.

Then he says to the white dude "Watch out for that black dude, he wants a piece of your cookie!"
GaijinPunch

Post by GaijinPunch »

Yeah, I agree. what I mean is that the term itself "cancel culture" feels vague and shaming and unhelpful. Is it cyber bullying, shaming, word policing/tone policing, and things of that nature?
Ah, yeah - I gotcha.
Mischief Maker wrote: As opposed to the Fox News crowd losing their shit over a Cardi B song?
But they aren't cancel culture (by their definition). They're just wanting something they deem immoral from being readily available. See also: everything in the 80's.

Don't get me wrong, plenty of things need to be scrutinized. GF watches the Bachelor so of course I know all about that drama. Didn't follow it to a T but it does seem weird that a person of color would marry someone who just 3 years earlier attended an antebellum themed party. Do I think she's racist? Probably not. Ignorant and perhaps a bit stupid? Totally, so I get why he dumped her.
RegalSin wrote:New PowerPuff Girls. They all have evil pornstart eyelashes.
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

segasonicfan wrote:I really don't like the phrase "cancel culture" - its a super unproductive catch-all phrase in my opinion that doesnt really describe the problem.
While I empathize with your point, I don't think it's as simple as cancelling the phrase "cancel culture." It was more of a case of there being the right conditions in culture and society, through social media, for this dynamic to occur.
BryanM

Post by BryanM »

GaijinPunch wrote:But they aren't cancel culture (by their definition).
Ah yes, the 'ole "when you cancel people it's cancelling, but when I cancel people it's not cancelling" definition.

Using a new word for "revenue denial tactics".... this is one of the rare cases where it's actually kind of useful I suppose, since initiatives like Flush Rush, which included targeting advertisers, were not technically a boycott.

(As opposed to needing to constantly invent new slurs because the old ones lose their impact. As I've complained constantly about, "cuck" was a horrible mangling of the english language (guess we can't respect our "culture" in that respect. If english isn't sacred, what is man....) that has less informational value than the existing words. There are at least three objects in that activity: the cucker, the cuckold, and the cuckee. A beautiful thing, words that mean something.

And of course, "cuck" lost its ultility value within like a year. Who could have foreseen that.

......... I'm really goddamn looking forward to when people stop using the word "simp". Stop using "simp", you simps!)

(I don't even know what that word means and I hate it.)

Anyway, to leftists this form of "cancel" is only used as a joke word because it is a joke word that fascists use to whip up fear and keep the faithful faithful.

The only people who literally "got cancelled" were Weinstein and Cosby. I know it's not acceptable in the society that we live in to believe this, but: I feel like rapists should be punished.

It's not like even someone like Louis C.K. got their millionaire status or fame revoked, geez.
Mischief Maker

Post by Mischief Maker »

Before "cancel culture" the phrase was "political correctness." It was a term created by the USSR under Stalin to delineate between propaganda that was "factually correct" or "politically correct." This term was seized upon by conservatives in the US when people started questioning whether Christopher Columbus should necessarily be celebrated for his genocides, to not so subtly imply that racial justice was a commie plot.
BryanM wrote:And of course, "cuck" lost its ultility value within like a year. Who could have foreseen that.
I think it fell out of use because conservatives realized they were telling on themselves by voicing cuckoldry as their animating fear.
BryanM wrote:The only people who literally "got cancelled" were Weinstein and Cosby.
And R. Kelly!
BryanM wrote:It's not like even someone like Louis C.K. got their millionaire status or fame revoked, geez.
One of the few cases where the revelations ruined the entertainment value of his show for me. So many situations in "Louie" where women get overly sexually aggressive with him and ending with public masturbation.

BryanM

Post by BryanM »

Mischief Maker wrote:I think it fell out of use because conservatives realized they were telling on themselves by voicing cuckoldry as their animating fear.
Ah, I think it just lost its power and "shock" value. Slur rotation is necessary to keep your [s]crops[/s] slurs fresh.

Cynicism, that wonderful way of looking at the world in an actual logical and rational way, acknowledges the brain is a narcissistic machine. No one loves someone as much as themselves - they even have the audacity to think that their god is an old white guy here, when their bible outright states that dude is a gorgon, not a human. And probably grey, that's the hazy color I think a man made out of clouds would be.

Reproductive supremacy in raw numbers is one way to perpetuate the self, as is the perpetuation of memes (what they call "culture").

You'll remember my penis theorem of racism - that perceived average penis size correlates to who must be feared. Like that South Park episode where the Japanese company tried to take over America with Chinpokomon, and noone took them as a threat because they reassured everyone they "have very small penis" and could not accomplish such a grand feat.

Ah, I really wish the apocalypse was managed by more interesting doom masters than this. Reality never fails to disappoint.
And R. Kelly!
Shit, at least he had a trial and everyone knew what he was doing. In a way they kind of even flaunted it for publicity. Capital asset!

Argh, just read the story on the ultimate fate of that teen he married. A guy into cocaine had a little better sense than her bosses did.
BIL

Post by BIL »

BryanM wrote:The only people who literally "got cancelled" were Weinstein and Cosby.
And Paty!
Randorama

Post by Randorama »

I recently re-watched The Producers and I was wondering how many millions of people would hunt Mel Brooks with pitchforks, today, and accuse him of...everything.

I can also imagine him officially apologising for his movies by doing something like a video in blackface and saying something like "sorry, myself", i.e. a reference to Hitler's rap and to the fact that he was doing movies on LGBT, black,...etc. rights in unsuspecting times.

Luckily I don't follow the media. In general. Since I was 14 or something? Memories are fickle.

EDIT: I remember that on his first issue as an editor of Heavy Metal, Grant Morrison published a story entitled Savage sword of Hitler, Hitler's fanfic about Jesus reacting to crucifixion by unscrewing himself from the cross, coming down and slaughtering Romans with his mighty sword (the story ends with Goebbels telling li'l Adolf that the fic might be a bit too extreme, or something. Li'l Adolf wanted a more masculine, more aryan Jesus, though).
Chomsky, Buckminster Fuller, Yunus and Glass would have played Battle Garegga, for sure.
Mischief Maker

Post by Mischief Maker »

The Producers was turned into a stage musical in 2001 and set the all-time record for most Tony awards.

Even though at the time Fox News was decrying the death of free speech due to out-of-control political correctness.

Lindsay Ellis made a video about Mel Brooks, edgy satire, and the hacks who try to use him as a shield for their own less-funny and more-sincere-than-they're-letting-on edgelording.

vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

Mel Brooks is a totally different beast.

The film that got the most scrutiny was actually Blazing Saddles, because it featured the most racially charged dialog. I noticed that in the 1980s, it seemed (to me) to get a lot less airplay on TV than did others. History of the World was on constantly!

IAC, with Mel Brooks, it was clearly satire and not "shock." He was from an older time when that shock wasn't even accepted in mainstream media yet. That's what made people like Howard Stern such a big deal at the time. He an those like him (The Grease Man), were actually trying to to push the limits of social decorum just "for the sake of it" and to get famous for that.

Mel Brooks consistently hired actors and actresses from ethnic minorities and put them in feature films. He is a good egg.