The Cancel Culture thread! WOO!

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
Mischief Maker

Re: The Cancel Culture thread! WOO!

Post by Mischief Maker »

BryanM wrote:
Mischief Maker wrote:On a reverse cancel culture story, I can't believe Kyle Kulinski sided with Jimmy Dore against Ana Kasparian.
Just because you hate the guy, it doesn't mean he's not right or that Ana and TYT isn't garbage.
Before I respond, I want to be absolutely certain I know who "he" is in that statement. Jimmy Dore or Kyle Kulinski?
BryanM wrote:It's the apocalypse, and you're worried about internet drama.
No no no, you don't get to throw shade on your side of this internet drama and say Ana is garbage, then immediately follow with, "but it's the apocalypse so we can't talk about this subject anymore!" before I have the chance to show the other side's receipts. This is a forum devoted to a dead genre of videogames as well as anime fandom, I am perfectly within my rights to be frivolous here.
BryanM wrote:I'm sure you think Aaron's a rapist and a Russian asset too, I guess...
First of all, Syria is a completely separate topic from the sexual harassment. And even if I thought Ana was dead wrong on the subject, I wouldn't turn around and say, "and that's why Jimmy Dore was fully justified in publicly humiliating her in front of her students in the workplace!"

Second, for those who don't know, I used to be a Jimmy Dore fan before I realized he was not only full of shit but actively harmful to the left. And Syria was the first thing that shook my faith in the guy. I was in a heated argument with someone in early 2017 over Syria, and I remembered a video where Dore cited a document as solid proof positive that Assad didn't gas his own people, so I wanted to cite it. Strangely Jimmy didn't link to the document in his video description, but I was able to glean enough info from the screenshots to find it myself. But when I read the document, I realized it did not say what Jimmy claimed it said. So I had to slink my way out of that argument, deeply embarassed because I put my trust in Jimmy Dore.

As for Aaron Mate, this gave me deja vu.
BryanM wrote:Can't believe you're still watching political opinion pieces on youtube, especially Seder.
Ironically, I rediscovered Sam Seder and the Majority Report through Jimmy Dore. Specifically the 2016 debate between Seder and Dore over #bernieorbust. As a former Dore fan, I highly recommend anyone who listens to the guy to watch the debate, especially the ending, and how hilariously horribly wrong all of Dore's predictions were. Things like electing Trump being a shot in the arm for the left that would lead to President Elizabeth Warren. Or the idea that Trump would be able to seat one Supreme Court justice, much less two, much less three, was as likely as the moon falling into Lake Michigan.

Watch that then ask yourself if this man is truly worthy of being your thought leader.
Two working class dudes, one black one white, just baked a tray of ten cookies together.

An oligarch walks in and grabs nine cookies for himself.

Then he says to the white dude "Watch out for that black dude, he wants a piece of your cookie!"
BryanM

Post by BryanM »

Oh, this internet drama reminded me of the Channel Awesome drama. Just the regular kind of stuff that happens when there's treasure and everyone fights over getting it into their hands (also known as "politics"). Not paying their employees except with "exposure", working them worse than dogs, and I heard that in one case... they even threw some hotdogs at some poor woman's face and filmed it. Just awful, awful stuff.

Everyone left the channel, except for our clickbait listicle friend Larry Bundy Jr. because he thought it'd be funny if he just stayed and was the last man standing. Since it's not like even he really even noticed his affiliation with the channel.
Mischief Maker wrote:No no no, you don't get to throw shade on your side of this internet drama and say Ana is garbage, then immediately follow with, "but it's the apocalypse so we can't talk about this subject anymore!"
As you know, to me it's a cheerful, well-earned, inevitable apocalypse. I feel like you guys deserve to be both be out of denial, and as happy about it as I am. Spend your time watching some baby cows, you'll be happier than yelling at clouds about people you don't like.

Kyle was bleeding subscriptions, and worse, patreon supporters. For walking into a minefield he didn't have to walk into. The man torpedo'd his own livelihood and now has to sever ties with both TYT and Dore and pretend neither exist. Such is the tight rope anyone has to walk, between the "one concentration camp less" and "we have some requirements before granting our consent" crowds. That he stayed for so long when he should have left years ago is a testament to his loyalty, nothing more.

As with when Kyle quit the Justice Democrats, it's a shame how quickly and easily these things crash and burn. And how selling out constantly happens. (You have properly cancelled Cenk for being "gross" too, right?)

And do we really need to have a debate over whether it's appropriate to have your wiener hanging out at work vs making an awkward comment on said hanging wiener? Seriously?

NO DEBATE. I REFUSE.
Mischief Maker

Post by Mischief Maker »

BryanM wrote:
Mischief Maker wrote:No no no, you don't get to throw shade on your side of this internet drama and say Ana is garbage, then immediately follow with, "but it's the apocalypse so we can't talk about this subject anymore!"
As you know, to me it's a cheerful, well-earned, inevitable apocalypse. I feel like you guys deserve to be both be out of denial, and as happy about it as I am. Spend your time watching some baby cows, you'll be happier than yelling at clouds about people you don't like.

Kyle was bleeding subscriptions, and worse, patreon supporters. For walking into a minefield he didn't have to walk into. The man torpedo'd his own livelihood and now has to sever ties with both TYT and Dore and pretend neither exist. Such is the tight rope anyone has to walk, between the "one concentration camp less" and "we have some requirements before granting our consent" crowds.

As with when Kyle quit the Justice Democrats, it's a shame how quickly and easily these things crash and burn. And how selling out constantly happens. (You have properly cancelled Cenk for being "gross" too, right?)
You know what? Fair enough, it's not like we can't agree on...
BryanM wrote:.......
Huh? What's this?
BryanM wrote:And do we really need to have a debate over whether it's appropriate to have your wiener hanging out at work vs making an awkward comment on said hanging wiener? Seriously?
Oh you just couldn't help yourself, could you?

Goofus wears a short skirt to work. She looks like she's going to a rave. Inappropriate for a news room!

Gallant peeks up Goofus' skirt while she picks something up then blurts out a sexually charged joke in front of her students. He's acting like he's in a sleazy nightclub at last call. Super appropriate for a news room!!!
Two working class dudes, one black one white, just baked a tray of ten cookies together.

Then he says to the white dude "Watch out for that black dude, he wants a piece of your cookie!"
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

I only skimmed the above posts but stepping outside of normative behaviour is like giving others tacit permission to treat you in an abnormal way.

For example, I once joined a bicycle group and biked my naked arse around central London for an afternoon. When we began, and at several points, people were filming us. Sometimes filming me and my naked arse alone. Is it normal to film a cyclist? nope. Is it normal to take pictures of someone butt? nope

it's not normal to cycle nekkid either.
1cc List - Youtube - You emptylock my heart
Mischief Maker

Post by Mischief Maker »

Blinge wrote:I only skimmed the above posts
Lemme just lay it out for you plainly:

Ana Kasparian, in a private DM to Jimmy Dore, said she was going to stop biting her tongue about an incident when Jimmy Dore sexually harassed her that was so bad, he ended up writing her an apology note.

Jimmy Dore confirmed writing her the apology note.

Ana Kasparian's version of the events is that she'd been brushing off Dore's repeated sexual harassment for a while, but one day she brought in the college students from a journalism class she taught to watch the production of TYT, and Jimmy blurted out a comment about how sexy her legs were in front of her class. For the first time, Ana snapped at Jimmy to never speak to her that way again. Jimmy responded by writing her the apology note.

Jimmy's version of the events is that Ana came to the studio wearing a short skirt one day, and when she bent over to pick something up, Jimmy glimpsed her thong. Jimmy reacted by calling out, "Hey Ana, nice news skirt!" then according to Jimmy, "everybody laughed!" Ana got red-faced and tried to insult him back, but the room stayed firmly on Jimmy's side. Jimmy Dore then later felt bad because the room laughed at his joke harder than he wanted them to, so he wrote her the apology note.

Regardless of whose side you believe, Jimmy looks like a creep in both stories, IMO.

Sengoku Strider

Post by Sengoku Strider »

This whole poisonous era of political sports newsertainment just makes me long for the days when it had legit WWE moments. I can't watch any of this junk, but at least the conservative side brings it hard with an entertaining stream of Doink the Clowns, instead of the snarky yet dour leftist CM Punks.

Nobody on the left is bringing this kind of heat into the ring.
Mischief Maker

Post by Mischief Maker »

Sengoku Strider wrote:Nobody on the left is bringing this kind of heat into the ring.
Well Jimmy Dore did push the Seth Rich conspiracy theory that Hillary Clinton murdered one of her own staffers over the (already leaked) wikileaks emails. See also: Rush Limbaugh's "Hillary killed Vince Foster" conspiracy theory.

It was a subtheory to the whole "We can't let Hillary blame her loss on the Russians" mania that's gripped Jimmy Dore's dum-dum wing of the online left. These are people so angry at the establishment wing of the Democrats they decided the best course of action is to carry water for Donald Trump. If you ever hear a purported leftie describe any discussion of Trump's business dealings with Russia with the term "McCarthyism," chances are very good they're a dum-dum leftie.

vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

I know someone IRL who is exactly what you describe. They are a very good person until you discuss something too complicated and then it gets frustrating. I think to a certain number of people, that level of critical thinking is no different from magic. It's funny because he's an excellent musician, and has a lot of intelligence in other areas, but there's a lot of magical thinking otherwise. I can tell you for certain that Bernie was his messiah and he's very upset about the concession to Biden.
BryanM

Post by BryanM »

Sengoku Strider wrote:This whole poisonous era of political sports newsertainment just makes me long for the days when it had legit WWE moments.
oof, someone being even a little nostalgic for Crossfire illustrates that we're in the end times very well. I kinda get it, when I was younger I enjoyed the bickering of The McLaughlin Group. Always liked that Pat Buchanan character way more than whatever slimey Paul Ryan-esque young republican they had in the cast at the time.

This kind of discord, where there are different people with different ideologies and opinions, it makes for a much more well-rounded show. Joe Rogan's podcast where he's willing to talk to almost anyone, that's a huge core part of his widespread appeal instead of the echo chamber team purity crap so many others do. Doesn't hurt he has actual scientists on, sometimes. Remember when Stephen Colbert's show used to do that? 'memba?

Good on Kyle for going outside and proving he actually has legs, hopefully when he parts ways with the network he's building with Krystal and Saagar, as all relationships end, there won't be as much bad blood spilt.
I can tell you for certain that Bernie was his messiah and he's very upset about the concession to Biden.
In a lot of ways the Sanders campaign was the last grasp at a society that doesn't completely fucking hate itself, that maybe a couple of things could be made better before they get much much worse.

It was never going to "save" us however. Doomification was locked in long before 2016. There's a melancholy in the fact we were inevitably doomed, as of the invention of the internal combustion engine, I admit.

God remember those chumps that thought Obama was Jesus or would change anything. He did an excellent job of locking in a 6-3 republican supreme court, which liberals like to blame their favorite internet punching bag for???
Sengoku Strider

Mischief Maker wrote:Well Jimmy Dore did push the Seth Rich conspiracy theory that Hillary Clinton murdered one of her own staffers over the (already leaked) wikileaks emails.
Seth Rich? Come on, that's like saying someone's into punk because they have a Green Day album. No self-respecting conspiracy theorist would just throw Seth Rich out there a la carte, you gotta put some sauce on it:

Now there's something you can work with. Anybody's Facebook aunt can read that chart and tell their friends with pride they've done "research."

When I'm talking about bringing heat into the ring, I'm talking about pros so polished in their artistry they don't even have to use real words for their acrostic conspiracy poems:

I 'm talking about that spice.
BryanM wrote:oof, someone being even a little nostalgic for Crossfire illustrates that we're in the end times very well. I kinda get it, when I was younger I enjoyed the bickering of The McLaughlin Group. Always liked that Pat Buchanan character way more than whatever slimey Paul Ryan-esque young republican they had in the cast at the time.
Crossfire can rot, but that generation got Hillary making Tucker Carson eat a giant shoe. What will Gen Z have in their formative political years? Political Youtube comedians getting twitter-baked for an afternoon? I weep for the state of the art form.
BryanM

Post by BryanM »

The stories coming out about Blizzard right now are about exactly what I expected of those chucklefucks. Fuckin' around instead of makin' the game or workin' on the patch.

What good is being king shit of fuck mountain if you can't make a utopia for yourself?

... what a bland, insipid utopia it was. smh
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

BryanM

Post by BryanM »

I do like how their response to the "tough e-sports moment" was to hire a torture propagandist from the Bush administration into senior leadership. I hadn't even heard about that one yet, just happened a few months ago. Always more, always worse.

She of course has no problem with coked up sex pests, being eight states away from the gross nerds while collecting her seven figures or whatever. Why she's even releasing statements on this when her job is to transmit the corpo's bidding to her buddies in the government is beyond me. An addiction to doing evil things?
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

Steamflogger Boss

Post by Steamflogger Boss »

God damn right. Babies are the worst.
cave hermit

Post by cave hermit »

I uh, don't really know if this counts as cancelling, but the mainstream media and twitter found out about Chris-Chan after he/she (personally I lean more towards he, I try to respect people's chosen pronouns but frankly I don't consider Chris-Chan a person) raped his 79 year old dementia suffering mother. repeatedly. Then when he was legally barred from his mother's home, his first reaction was to steal $750 from her bank account to buy toys and go to the mall as if nothing was wrong.

A few days ago he got arrested on charges of incest, and didn't seem to mind at all, because apparently his imaginary world and the real world will soon merge (according to Chris at minimum 41% of the population will be killed by this event, and major portions of the tristate area would be transformed into landmarks from his imagination, a particular highlight being Equestria from My Little Pony canon replacing the entirety of Maryland), therefore nothing happening in "this dimension" matters at all since it will soon cease to exist.

Currently held as a male without bond. Additional charges against Chris are pending. The plaintiff and Chris's presumably court assigned lawyer are going to learn far far more about Chris than they ever would have wanted to if they do even a cursory background check on Chris.
Mugshot:
Spoiler
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

That's super fucked-up, but no, not cancel culture AFAIK.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Chris is an impoverished, cripplingly autistic simpleton. Whatever you think of him (I feel like I just learned Paul McCartney is a nonce :sad:), he can't be "cancelled" in this context, as he has absolutely nothing to lose.

Anyone upset at his track record with "da homos" or "da niggos" (oh Chris) has fuck-all to threaten him with. Prospects? Employment? Reputation? Unlike a teenager applying to university, and other such toothsome mob treats, he will never have any of those. If anything, the usual strongarm approach will merely boost his profile and help him sell more of his junk. Image

Prospective extortionists and/or vigilantes will do better telling Chris they've installed an unfathomably powerful laser cannon on the moon, and have trained it on his mayoral office in CWCville Mall.

Well I mean he technically does have things to lose, like the ability to consume solid food, and what little bowel control he possessed to begin with. Again though, way outside this thread's scope. That's a discussion on Burgerland's penal system and mental health services, or lack thereof.

So I~
I've just gotta tell you ♫
Goodbye 3:<
Goodbyye~ie-yie 3;>
Sengoku Strider

Sick and PERVERTED.

Bring back manly puppets, says our Candace! Hear hear!

vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

who says that's a transgender muppet?

why can't it be a female gonzo? where the fuck does she think little gonzos come from anyway?
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Presumably she's never seen the original Looney Tunes; ol' Bugs in particular was a bona fide drag queen, and regularly smooched Elmer (and most everyone else out to get him) square on the lips, to boot.
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

Didn't know where else to put this, but I wanted Bil to see it because of the subject matter.

It's vaguely related insofar as that it's about the outing of a chomo predator: https://the1a.org/segments/graphic-memo ... aftermath/
BIL

Post by BIL »

Always a vital perspective on the issue, thanks bud. "Cauterised," now there's a word... :sad: Sadly unsurprised to hear it was a boarding school, not to cast aspersions but there have just been too many horror stories. On a happier note, was good to hear about his passion for the underground comics scene. I don't know it myself, but Maus and Persepolis always caught my eye when I'd hang around comic types BITD.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Gonzo once flirted with Big Bird on the original Muppet Show.
BryanM

Post by BryanM »

Newsline: OnlyFans is going out of business and shutting down.

And I thought capitalists loved this kind of gig economy. Guess it cut too many middlemen out of the racket.
Mischief Maker

Post by Mischief Maker »

I'm told Bella Thorne is partly to blame for that.

Steamflogger Boss

BryanM wrote:Newsline: OnlyFans is going out of business and shutting down.

And I thought capitalists loved this kind of gig economy. Guess it cut too many middlemen out of the racket.
Noticed some other related stuff is being shut down.

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-58011672
Steamflogger Boss

https://www.gawker.com/culture/let-peop ... this-essay

Wasn't fully sure where to put this, but think it fits here best since it talks about people wanting to cancel people over negative reviews of media.
Sengoku Strider

So, last week China basically canceled celebrity worship, banning the ranking of singers online etc., and erasing a couple of politically questionable megastars from their internet.

Today China canceled boy bands:
The Chinese government banned what it called "sissy men" from television Thursday and directed broadcasters to serve the people of China with "revolutionary culture."

The change to eliminate what China calls effeminate men from the national spotlight comes as President Xi Jinping leads a government campaign to tighten control over society at large in China and reinforce official views on morality.

The requirement reportedly came from the Chinese Communist Party's concerns that its pop stars will adopt what it described as the more effeminate trends of South Korean and Japanese singers and actors.
https://www.yahoo.com/news/chinese-comm ... 00881.html

I know I'm supposed to be outraged for a whole list of reasons, but...I can't seem to manage it. Not gonna lie, high school me would have been super into the idea of thought-corrective farming collectives for the Backstreet Boys & NSync. And O-Town. 98 Degrees. All those smarmy R&B guys too.

But anyway, idol culture and celebrity worship are civilizational sewage.

Although I guess they want to keep that, just replace it with sock-puppetier versions.
Mischief Maker

Post by Mischief Maker »

I think President Xi popped an unplanned boner to a picture of a femboy and now all of China must atone.