The Cancel Culture thread! WOO!

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
Randorama

Re: The Cancel Culture thread! WOO!

Post by Randorama »

This "debate" has been going on for a while, to be honest. The CCP government also banned reality tv shows a while ago (2015?), speaking of sewage culture.

Though I did not notice any news on this topic on the official propaganda channels (e.g., CCTV in its Chinese version), I know that many Chinese entertainment companies are very "creative" when it comes to tax matters.

Wuxia and historical movies full of court officials with elaborate dresses, oiled beards and fancy jewelry are all fine, though, so bishonen fans can still have their daily fix of ambiguous gender norms.
Chomsky, Buckminster Fuller, Yunus and Glass would have played Battle Garegga, for sure.
BryanM

Post by BryanM »

I assume that has a little to do with their population problems. As you all know, the one child policy made their average age very top heavy (who could have foreseen this) and they did a 180: the three child policy was announced this year. While a reasonable number if you don't want your population to collapse, as not everyone will want to or manage to have kids; still not a lot of takers.

It is pretty funny they'd blame feminization of men for why they don't feel thrilled at working 12 hours a day six days a week and make their whole lives about pooping out babies.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

BryanM wrote:It is pretty funny they'd blame feminization of men for why they don't feel thrilled at working 12 hours a day six days a week and make their whole lives about pooping out babies.
...we're still talking about China, right?
Randorama

Post by Randorama »

BryanM wrote: It is pretty funny they'd blame feminization of men for why they don't feel thrilled at working 12 hours a day six days a week and make their whole lives about pooping out babies.
A topic of interest for some penny dreadfuls on Tencent News is this #TexasTaliban, rather than bishonen boy bands.*

Gotta distract those masses and their obssession with boys wearing make-up by asking them why the US is devolving into a feudal theocracy (well, even more into one...).

The Hermon & Chomsky (2001) [1989] model can aptly describe different systems, and does not depend on a country being "democratic" or having a single military-industrial complex.
BM wrote:we're still talking about China, right?
As someone who lives in Wuhan, speaks some Chinese and works in a big Chinese university (CCNU, specifically) (...and deals with CCP functionaries often, I'd add), I'd say that BryanM needs to worry a lot about my situation, since all is fine and dandy in the land of sunshine.

*links to the penny dreadfuls on request: it's a hassle to export links from Weibo (i.e., on phone) to the intarwebs (i.e., on PC).
Chomsky, Buckminster Fuller, Yunus and Glass would have played Battle Garegga, for sure.
Fatal
Banned User

Post by Fatal »

Imagine a game like Duke Nukem 3D coming out today.

All the virtue signaling, libtard SJW's would likerally have a heart attack.
Mischief Maker

Post by Mischief Maker »

Agreed, those 2.5D Build Engine visuals are so triggering to liberal sensibilities.
Two working class dudes, one black one white, just baked a tray of ten cookies together.

An oligarch walks in and grabs nine cookies for himself.

Then he says to the white dude "Watch out for that black dude, he wants a piece of your cookie!"
drauch

Post by drauch »

Fatal wrote:Imagine a game like Duke Nukem 3D coming out today.

Nice. Welcome to the forum! Finally someone speaking some TRUTH in here. WAKE UP SHEEPLE. In these times they'd probably release something like Ninja Gayden!

Dunno how NinCUCKdo released Duke Nukem World Tour on the Switch just last year! I bet Miyamoto cried like a babby.
BIL wrote: "Small sack, LOTS OF CUM" - Nikola Tesla
Fatal
Banned User

Post by Fatal »

drauch wrote:
Fatal wrote:Imagine a game like Duke Nukem 3D coming out today.

Nice. Welcome to the forum! Finally someone speaking some TRUTH in here. WAKE UP SHEEPLE. In these times they'd probably release something like Ninja Gayden!

Dunno how NinCUCKdo released Duke Nukem World Tour on the Switch just last year! I bet Miyamoto cried like a babby.
World Tour was nothing more than a 10 level addon to an already existing game from 1996 that hasn't seen any official material released for it since the late 90's.

It was nothing more then an attempt by 3D Realms to cash in and fund further developments in progress. By all accounts it sold terribly outside of a small niche fanbase that's still around since then.

So, nice try bud. Might want to do a little more research next time.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Because obviously too much content would have triggered the snowflakes.
drauch

Post by drauch »

Fatal wrote: So, nice try bud. Might want to do a little more research next time.
Okay, listen.

You passed the first test. I had to test the waters to see if you were on the level.

There's a fully fledged new Duke game that's been out only a few months. They took only the non-woke, non-cucked members from 3D Realms and formed 4D Realms and worked in the background while they've been messing around with Graven. You can only get this on the Deep Web through some delicate searching. I also heard some guy on Parlor sells copies, but the price is pretty steep. The only virtue you should signal is how badass you are once you get this game. I tried to get it but my mom wouldn't let me use her credit card.
Fatal
Banned User

Post by Fatal »

BulletMagnet wrote:Because obviously too much content would have triggered the snowflakes.
Highly probable.

drauch wrote:
Fatal wrote: So, nice try bud. Might want to do a little more research next time.
Okay, listen.

You passed the first test. I had to test the waters to see if you were on the level.

There's a fully fledged new Duke game that's been out only a few months. They took only the non-woke, non-cucked members from 3D Realms and formed 4D Realms and worked in the background while they've been messing around with Graven. You can only get this on the Deep Web through some delicate searching. I also heard some guy on Parlor sells copies, but the price is pretty steep. The only virtue you should signal is how badass you are once you get this game. I tried to get it but my mom wouldn't let me use her credit card.
What are you even talking about?

Yes, Graven is one of those games I mentioned that was already in progress.

You're the one that tried to cite an addon to a game from 1996 as a current valid example of how cancel culture wouldn't shit their pants if Duke 3D was released today.

What's next? Are you going to go back to 2011 when Duke Nukem Forever was finally released as well? Despite that being a total bomb in the sales department as well which only strengthens my argument?

Try harder.
BryanM

Post by BryanM »

Gorsh, Duke Nukem is so cute by modern sensibilities :3

Postal 2 had peeing on people as a game mechanic, I'm not sure what we're up to here in 2021 since the newest game I've ever played was Wave Race: Blue Storm.

(I'm quite triggered by how they turned the buoys into collision hazards.)
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Fatal wrote:Are you going to go back to 2011 when Duke Nukem Forever was finally released as well? Despite that being a total bomb in the sales department as well which only strengthens my argument?
Because too little quality also triggers the snowflakes.

EDIT: I was just informed that Fatal is actually a duplicate account for someone who was banned for taking a steaming dump in the Hardware forum, so it appears the circle is complete. :lol:
drauch

Post by drauch »

Fatal wrote: What are you even talking about?
Guess you're not in the know. I thought you were cool.
BryanM

Post by BryanM »

Longevity research advocate Aubrey de Grey was found guilty of being too horny in a socially unacceptable manner and got fired.

When I was telling my girlfriend at the time about this stuff in the early 2000's, she had sent an e-mail to the guy and got a response in like two hours or less. At the time, the fast response made me nod my head at the lousy current state of longevity advocacy, as this guy was the only person talking about it. But now I realize he probably just saw a girl's name and his mouse moved on its own.

In longevity forums he has many voracious loyal defenders, of course.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Texas school district bans books by authors with opinions (feel free to guess which ones in particular)

By the way, how exactly does a book manage to "represent a singular, dominant narrative in such a way that it cannot be balanced with other materials"? Does it hop off the shelves and start setting fire to other books with a different perspective, so teachers can't use them?
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

so is that like science being balanced with religion in texan speak?
Mortificator

Post by Mortificator »

It's racists thinking their racist viewpoint is "neutral."
RegalSin wrote:You can't even drive across the country Naked anymore
Mischief Maker

Post by Mischief Maker »

I keep looking back to the trailer for Ben Stein's creationist movie:

"Expelled: No Intelligence Allowed"

...and remark on how similar the language used by these creationists about an academic conspiracy to suppress their free speech about "Intelligent Design" mirrors anti-woke "skeptics" today, many of whom used to make fun of Ben Stein and this movie at the time.
Two working class dudes, one black one white, just baked a tray of ten cookies together.

An oligarch walks in and grabs nine cookies for himself.

Then he says to the white dude "Watch out for that black dude, he wants a piece of your cookie!"
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Oh, and in case anyone thinks this is some sort of fringe position, Mitch McConnell has vocally supported the notion that "parents absolutely should be telling their local schools what to teach" - i.e., yet again, those with actual subject matter expertise are overruled (dare I say cancelled) by those with feelings. If he's seen any pushback from within on this front I'm completely unaware of it.
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

oh weird i totally missed that ben stein is crazy. go figure
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Mortificator wrote:It's racists thinking their racist viewpoint is "neutral."
Naaaah, you're imagining things.
Sly Cherry Chunks

Post by Sly Cherry Chunks »

David Amess, perhaps best known for his appearance in that Brass Eye 'Cake' skit has been murdered at his constituency surgery today.

This goes in the cancel culture thread because #toryscum is currently trending on twitter, trying to link the killing to comments recently made by gob-on-legs MP Angela Rayner. Head on over for a disturbing mix of damage control and 'yeah, well he deserved it'.

Still - RIP, Cake guy. The Brass Eye Drugs special has been mostly scrubbed from Youtube now.
“A big yellow death bullet in the head of some poor user, or custard gannet, as the dealers call them.”
“If someone offers you cake, they might call it looney toad quack, russell dust, chronic Basildon doughnuts, Joss Ackland’s spunky backpack, bromicide, ponce on the heath, cool thwacks and charlie, argue barmies or Hattie Jacques’ pretentious cheese wog.”
The biggest unanswered question is where is the money? [1CCS]
BIL

Post by BIL »

A man of culture as ever, Sly Clarky Cat-san ;-;7 was just coming to pay my respects. He was a lot classier about Morris & co than certain other unsuspecting marks! I seem to recall DJ party man Richard Blackwood throwing his toys out of the pram at learning paedos cannot actually cause your keyboard to emit mind-altering fumes. :sad: RIP
Sly Cherry Chunks

Post by Sly Cherry Chunks »

Theres footage somewhere of Amess asking about Cake in parliament.

They pranked Rolf, too. Do you think he would have endorsed Nonce-Sense?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQ35d4dPu2U
The biggest unanswered question is where is the money? [1CCS]
God

Post by God »

Sengoku Strider wrote:
God wrote:Resorting to censorship is the same as admitting you have a weak product in the marketplace of ideas.

At this point the censorship is without a doubt being used politically. Tolerating it is madness.
There wasn't ever any debate about it being political. It's literally organs of power regulating the expressed thoughts and actions of others.

But saying it means "you have a weak product in the marketplace of ideas" presumes people are rational and bad or destructive ideas don't spread like viruses. Unfortunately every relevant field from economics to political science to psychology has come to the unavoidable realization that people as a whole, are not rational.

The contradiction that the unlimited free speech argument always runs into is the notion that someone's freedom to say shitty & abusive things should outweigh people's right to live free from senseless abuse. That the onus should be on the person being harmed to get over it rather than the other person to act like a grownup & just stop being a dick for five minutes. It's pretty easy to see where the weight of societal harm lies here.

That doesn't mean people don't take the cancel thing to absurd extremes, or use it as a rhetorical cudgel to bully others. Or deploy it hypocritically. It also doesn't mean there aren't things said that people should just get over, rather than wallow in outraged victimhood over things which barely register as minimal slights.

But it can't be a binary "tolerate/don't tolerate censorship" decision.
People are rational enough to give good ideas an advantage over bad ones.

Interfering with mankind's ability to express ideas causes harm on a scale so vast we can hardly grasp it.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

God wrote:People are rational enough to give good ideas an advantage over bad ones.
Troll harder.
Randorama

Post by Randorama »

BulletMagnet wrote:
God wrote:People are rational enough to give good ideas an advantage over bad ones.
Troll harder.
Well, this guy complained about Zen's ban, if memory serves (...I will let you check out why, I'd add).
Sengoku Strider

Post by Sengoku Strider »

BryanM

Post by BryanM »

When the powerful have all the power, say, like our dictatorship, all the powerless can do is complain and piss all over themselves. That those in power hate it, means it has to have some meager impact. If nothing more than annoying the comfortable, which is its own reward.

The Flush Rush movement was probably a very early example of this in the internet age. No way to fight back on the same playing field (lol like our dictators were gonna give a commie a radio show lol) so targeting his sponsors was all people could do. So he'd go from making a bazillion dollars a year to a mere wazillion.

The story of Jared The Subway Guy is illustrative of how cartoonishly evil you have to be to face repercussions. If you don't really know his story, it's much much much worse than the short blurb that you caught on the news told you. (Forcing his lackey to eat pizza and sandwichs when the poor guy had a gluten allergy is definite cartoon villainy material.)

All Jared had to do in life was eat sandwiches and hold up some pants in front of a camera, do his sex crimes outside the country or in his dungeon like every other rich person does, and he would have been set for life. > $1 million dollars a year starting at the age of 22. No middle class kid was dealt an easier hand in life.

Know who had a high enough IQ and self control to keep his sex crimes abroad and on the down-low? That's right. Our good friend Rush Limbaugh. Somehow, my spider sense tells me he won't ever be facing any consequences for it from the feds or the media. So it falls to internet justice warriors to keep the memory alive.