Gaming's toxicity problem

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
versionfiv

Gaming's toxicity problem

Post by versionfiv »

Needs to be fixed.
Mischief Maker

Re: Gaming's toxicity problem

Post by Mischief Maker »

Stop eating your gaming hardware.

Just because they're called "chips" doesn't mean they're delicious.
Two working class dudes, one black one white, just baked a tray of ten cookies together.

An oligarch walks in and grabs nine cookies for himself.

Then he says to the white dude "Watch out for that black dude, he wants a piece of your cookie!"
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Eeeating seeeeds as a pasttimeee activityyy
1cc List - Youtube - You emptylock my heart
CStarFlare

Post by CStarFlare »

versionfiv wrote:Needs to be fixed.
Agreed, the toxicity is dangerously low and this need to be fixed.
Restart Syndrome::
Shmup leaderboards and Video Index! | My score history on RS
trap15

Post by trap15 »

More elitism please
@trap0xf | daifukkat.su/blog | scores | FIRE LANCER
<S.Yagawa> I like the challenge of "doing the impossible" with older hardware, and pushing it as far as it can go.
Ji-L87

Post by Ji-L87 »

I'm happy that gaming has become more mainstream and not just seen as something kids do until they "grow up".

I am not happy with people yelling at me for performing badly in games. As a result I only play teambased games with friends and stay far away from any kind of ranked match.
Being forced into a multiplayer match with unknowns in any form of team based game mode is my idea of hell.

The good thing about gaming on PC is that fewer people talk shit on the open channels, or the voice chat isn't as well integrated as on consoles.
CHECKPOINT!
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

GAMERZ=BAD
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
o.pwuaioc

Post by o.pwuaioc »

Ji-L87 wrote:I'm happy that gaming has become more mainstream and not just seen as something kids do until they "grow up".

I am not happy with people yelling at me for performing badly in games. As a result I only play teambased games with friends and stay far away from any kind of ranked match.
Being forced into a multiplayer match with unknowns in any form of team based game mode is my idea of hell.

The good thing about gaming on PC is that fewer people talk shit on the open channels, or the voice chat isn't as well integrated as on consoles.
This is why I avoid all new games. No one can yell at me if I'm just playing Soldier Blade at home.
Ruldra

Post by Ruldra »

Ji-L87 wrote:I am not happy with people yelling at me for performing badly in games. As a result I only play teambased games with friends and stay far away from any kind of ranked match.
Muting chat will do wonders for the gaming experience and your sanity.
[Youtube | 1cc list | Steam]
mastermx wrote:
xorthen wrote:You guys are some hardcore MOFOs and masochists.
This is the biggest compliment you can give to people on this forum.
Steamflogger Boss

Post by Steamflogger Boss »

Blinge wrote:Eeeating seeeeds as a pasttimeee activityyy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XtAhISkoJZc
o.pwuaioc wrote:
Ji-L87 wrote:I'm happy that gaming has become more mainstream and not just seen as something kids do until they "grow up".

This is why I avoid all new games. No one can yell at me if I'm just playing Soldier Blade at home.
Plus let's be honest Soldier Blade is better.

I disable chat/emotes on any game I play online.
Vanguard

Post by Vanguard »

versionfiv wrote:Needs to be fixed.
It's fine imo.
Ji-L87 wrote:I am not happy with people yelling at me for performing badly in games. As a result I only play teambased games with friends and stay far away from any kind of ranked match.
The solution is to bring private servers back.
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

Vanguard wrote:

The solution is to bring private servers back.
Back in 01 after I finished college I bought a desktop and played the fuck out of a Half Life mod called Firearms. Come to think of it it was almost all I played for like three years.

Anyways..

It was always great to sign into a server and be greeted by the regulars cause you were one of them. I had maybe five servers I would play on and more often than not wound up playing with the same people.

In fact it was super rare to sign in and not know at least one other person playing.
You're sure to be in a fine haze about now, but don't think too hard about all of this. Just go out and kill a few beasts. It's for your own good. You know, it's just what hunters do! You'll get used to it.
BIL

Post by BIL »

My NUTSACK is toxic (`ω´メ)

Took a shell back in NAM (■`ω´■)
scrilla4rella

Post by scrilla4rella »

seems to me that most of the toxic gamer types who love stalking mildly attractive female personalities online have no game, can't get laid. It's a problem.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

I like how this thread will be seen as OP as case in his point.

but you can touch my point
1cc List - Youtube - You emptylock my heart
BIL

Post by BIL »

I'll give you a point (・`W´・)

Stevens

Post by Stevens »

Blinge wrote:I like how this thread will be seen as OP as case in his point.

but you can touch my point
I was going to make a joke, but seriously why bother? Trying to follow that gif is like being the band after the Beatles.
You're sure to be in a fine haze about now, but don't think too hard about all of this. Just go out and kill a few beasts. It's for your own good. You know, it's just what hunters do! You'll get used to it.
BIL

Post by BIL »

More like the MEATLES (■`ω´■)
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

OP can see this however he wants. But it doesn't change the fact that the problems are with people in position of power, not with the general gamer. Talking Ubisoft(but other devs too as it seems generalized) bosses here, has exemplified by the recent wave of allegations. And tournament orgs etc and yes some high profile players too, but it's mostly the rest that I've mentionned that are scummy.

So I say : OP, take your focus away from Joe Blow gamer who laments the removal of T&A in vidja gaymes, and put it on shady execs and bosses of gaming development companies who abuse of their power and misconduct and rape their female employees and HR who turn a blind eye to their complaints. Now how about that hmmmm?
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
Mischief Maker

Post by Mischief Maker »

Even though I tried to strangle this thread in the crib, I'm gonna say something provocative:

Gaming toxicity is as real as cancel culture.

Discuss.
Two working class dudes, one black one white, just baked a tray of ten cookies together.

An oligarch walks in and grabs nine cookies for himself.

Then he says to the white dude "Watch out for that black dude, he wants a piece of your cookie!"
Steamflogger Boss

Post by Steamflogger Boss »

Mischief Maker wrote:Even though I tried to strangle this thread in the crib, I'm gonna say something provocative:

Gaming toxicity is as real as cancel culture.

Discuss.
Generally agree. Many people are just assholes. To act like it's a unique problem with gaming culture belies the fact that it's an issue across society as a whole. Is gaming any worse than other hobbies? A quick visit to a forum for another hobby indicates that really it is not. It's just the hobby we are most familiar with that is also under a microscope online.
BryanM

Post by BryanM »

Steamflogger Boss wrote:A quick visit to a forum for another hobby indicates that really it is not.
Hm, the internet as a whole is kind of a sieve to collect misery. Though honestly yeah society as a whole stabs itself in the dick, that's obviously an instrumental goal of feudalism. We're given mixed signals all of our lives.

For those looking for a new den of miserable, sometimes cartoonishly angry people you probably wouldn't know about, there's the Women Going Their Own Way reddit, which is in a cultural niche that isn't talked about much.
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

BIL, you're a fucking disappointment. I was willing to bet money you'd be like on this thread in a flash and be one of the first 5 replies, yet here you are in at #12 like a slowpoke?! For shame. >:(

But you posted that platypus GIF again that kills me dead every time I see it, so <3
Last edited by BareKnuckleRoo on Thu Jul 16, 2020 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Subverting expectations >;3
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

You cunning bastard. ;w;
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

Wild Chronicles.
Image | My games - http://www.emphatic.se | (Click) I have YEN stickers for sale
RegalSin wrote:Street Fighters. We need to aviod them when we activate time accellerator.
Ji-L87

Post by Ji-L87 »

FinalBaton wrote:OP can see this however he wants. But it doesn't change the fact that the problems are with people in position of power, not with the general gamer. Talking Ubisoft(but other devs too as it seems generalized) bosses here, has exemplified by the recent wave of allegations. And tournament orgs etc and yes some high profile players too, but it's mostly the rest that I've mentionned that are scummy.

So I say : OP, take your focus away from Joe Blow gamer who laments the removal of T&A in vidja gaymes, and put it on shady execs and bosses of gaming development companies who abuse of their power and misconduct and rape their female employees and HR who turn a blind eye to their complaints. Now how about that hmmmm?
Well, there are problems at both ends of the chain, developers and publishers being the absolute worst doesn't mean that "Joe Blow" gets a pass, or the absolute shitpints that tries to woo, harass or test every girl they come across in online games simply for daring to use their mic while they play.

I honestly don't get why this thread gets so many kneejerk "comical" replies, it's basically proving OPs point even if you didn't mean to :|
CHECKPOINT!
BIL

Post by BIL »

This was discussed with some vigour a couple years ago in the GG thread (which is nowadays more of a tongue-in-cheek "SJW Harpies vs Jihadi Neckbeards: Internet Senki" thread). As there, I will plead guilty to a degree of ennui. People are frequently shitheads IRL, and, via greater internet fuckwad theory.jpg, they're free to be even worse online. I would say it's more of a "mass anonymous communication toxicity problem." How to resolve this without depriving perfectly decent people of their freedoms, thar's the rub ofc.

For my part I just don't use the internet that much, any more than I eagerly strike up conversations with random people while out and about IRL. Reductive, certainly, but it's a reduction I can live with, or more charitably a selectiveness.

I'm not saying anything new, I know you described acting similarly. World's a shithole, interact judiciously. Image
emphatic wrote:Wild Chronicles.
Specifically Wild Chronicles: Nazo no B.B.C.
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

Ji-L87 wrote:Well, there are problems at both ends of the chain, developers and publishers being the absolute worst doesn't mean that "Joe Blow" gets a pass, or the absolute shitpints that tries to woo, harass or test every girl they come across in online games simply for daring to use their mic while they play.

I honestly don't get why this thread gets so many kneejerk "comical" replies, it's basically proving OPs point even if you didn't mean to :|
It has been touched on before on the thread : large ''communities'' on the internet attract weirdos, probably because those people don't have strong friend circles IRL and they need something where they feel they belong. and maybe because it's anonymous they feel like they can go full dickhead or something which is pathetic and there's no excuse for that of course

So slag gaming community if you like but don't single it out : you gotta include all the other communities in the same breath then. It's absolutely not fair to single out this one community IMO.

BIL wrote:it's more of a "mass anonymous communication toxicity problem."
exactly
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
BIL

Post by BIL »

Mischief Maker wrote:Gaming toxicity is as real as cancel culture.

Discuss.
as real as
Concurred. All is vanity. Realer for some than others. Image

When you have a person that has the excess of pigment, the excess of melanin... they have the lack of compassion. The people that have it are a little - and I’m going to say this carefully - are a little less. So then they’re acting out of fear. They’re acting out of low self esteem. They’re acting out of an excess. So therefore, the only way that they can act is evil. They have to rob, steal, rape, kill, and fight. In order to survive.

https://www.rev.com/blog/transcripts/ni ... i-semitism

Oof, it's turning my stomach just looking at it. I suppose it's like when you try an exotic - to you - food for the first time? Palatable or not, the sheer otherness of the sensation can overwhelm. Anyway, feefees aside, I don't think anyone could state the above and keep their job where I work. Not even me, the token mongrel! It would be a JUICY CANCEL indeed, any reference to Smouliet's ongoing folly strictly unintended.

But some apparently could! With the polarities reversed, that is Image Is Nick Cannon playing Ikaruga while others are stuck on Galaga? Neither Ikaruga nor Galaga are real, but I assure you all: in the latter, touch bullet = DEAD.
Last edited by BIL on Thu Jul 16, 2020 11:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.