shmups.system11.org

Shmups Forum

* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Tue Aug 11, 2020 3:41 am View unanswered posts
View active topics

Post subject: CrossCode is Lovely
PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 2:34 pm 

So I bought this on Switch. This would be my second time purchasing it. I'll be upfront, the PC port is better. Switch port is definitely playable, but it has a lot of strange bugs and hiccups that are sort of annoying. Main one being that if the game is going when the Switch falls asleep, resuming the game causes all sorts of bizarre issues and they actually force a restart. Not a soft lock, you can actually still save and just reload, but...you definitely can't play when that happens. lol
Still, if you absolutely want it on the go, you really can get past them. I sure have.

ANYWAY...

Time to ramble.
I've had this since it first hit it's early access on Steam and holy Christ, this game checks nearly every box for me in terms of action adventure. It's really just an incredible top down Zelda with so many smart design choices. It's a hard game that will make you spend a lot of time figuring things out, but I like that a lot. I like that the temples are these gigantic, sprawling puzzle laden things that take hours. And they end in huge satisfying bosses that are presented wonderfully. Like this first one is so cool.

Spoiler: show
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OcNs-KrsyCs

I can't describe it other than classic Nintendo. They got that feel just right.

One other thing that sticks out, is the combat flow. I think it's approach to farming for items is brilliant. The longer you "chain" fights, the higher your grade goes. If between fights, your "chain" meter begins to decay until you pick the next fight. At anytime, you can cancel the chain, but if you keep the heat up and don't die, you
reach S rank. I don't think there's a name for it, but you basically go into "S mode" where rare trading items just drop wildly from enemies. So it helps curb super low drop rate item grinding while still keeping the spontaneity of rare drops. It helps a lot that combat is reeeaaaally fun. And there's just a ton of stuff to get. SHIT load of quests and side secrets. The game is really packed full of stuff to do but isn't "clear out the draugr from these mines" levels of monotonous.

It's as much an RPG as it is Zelda, but the Zelda elements are what attract me the most and this really was the Zelda game I wanted in 2017. I was elated when Steam recommended it to me around that time. Made me immediately forget about Secrets of Grindea. lol

Can't say I care for the plot and characters oddly enough. Too many hard tropes and there is -no- way to make the MMO isekai shit or whatever anything more than eye rollingly cringey for me. But the game's presentation more than makes it tolerable and the world always stays fun to explore.
I would flip shit if there was a sequel of some kind.

(the CRISPIEST pixel art)

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: CrossCode is Lovely
PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 10:08 am 

I'm also interested in Crosscode, did you get to finish it ? How does it hold in the long run ?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 12:06 pm 

XoPachi wrote:
One other thing that sticks out, is the combat flow. I think it's approach to farming for items is brilliant. The longer you "chain" fights, the higher your grade goes. If between fights, your "chain" meter begins to decay until you pick the next fight. At anytime, you can cancel the chain, but if you keep the heat up and don't die, you
reach S rank. I don't think there's a name for it, but you basically go into "S mode" where rare trading items just drop wildly from enemies. So it helps curb super low drop rate item grinding while still keeping the spontaneity of rare drops.

Your description reminds me of Crimson Tears for PS2. Though it's more "Diablo" than "Zelda", its combat has that hook to it that enemies hit when they are NOT touching the ground drop loot and keep doing so even depleted of HP, for as long as you keep them "airborne". Which leads to some addictively fun combat system abuse. That I did care about characters and story in this one didn't hurt, either.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 7:15 pm 

Loved the game as well but had two main complaints:

1) Played the game when it first came out of Early Access and found it was in that limbo state where there's enough content for a full release but also a lot of obviously unfinished stuff like side quests and whole areas. Of course, I wouldn't have been so bothered by what wasn't there if I wasn't so fond of what was already there.

2) Found the end to be quite unbalanced.

Spoiler: show
Since the game made them available at that point, I decided to go for the end-game equipment before entering the final area. But that involved grinding enemies with much higher levels than those in the final area. So I ended up steamrolling through the end, having more or less the best equipment in the game and being way overlevelled.

The devs are obviously working hard at that first point, and the second may have been addressed in a patch, idk. But yeah, great game.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 2:15 pm 

guigui wrote:
I'm also interested in Crosscode, did you get to finish it ? How does it hold in the long run ?

I have yet to complete the Switch port which has some content I didn't get to on my PC file, but I was about 50 hours in.
I'd say your enjoyment depends on what you want.
To my absolute shock, it seems most people prefer overworld narrative as opposed to puzzle and combat fueled dungeons in games like this. Crosscode doubles down on it's dungeons even harder than Zelda (not to say they're better because as good as they are, they have some things holding them back). And these dungeons are HARD.
So if that's not your thing, CrossCode might overstay it's welcome. There are some intuitive difficulty sliders that make the game easier, thus making dungeons faster to complete. But they are extremely thorough in making you earn everything you need to complete the dungeon. There's even one dungeon that is actually *three* full size dungeons that have to be completed back to back with a ridiculous boss at the end of it all.

If you ask me, everything mostly stays fun. The only thing I can imagine getting old is anything involving plants.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 12:32 am 

This is a twin stick game. I don't do twin stick games. My brain is not wired for it. When I was a kid, you had a d-pad and two buttons. Remember how NES Smash TV would allow a single player run with one controller in each hand? I would play this with my brother in a cooperative arrangement where one of us was in charge of movement and the other was the gunner. We did BETTER that way. And moving and shooting were the only things to be done in Smash TV. Crosscode on the other hand, somehow expects you to run, jump, guard, shoot, and slash at the same time. Totally impossible.

Just thought this crucial piece of information should be mentioned, in case anyone else who never learned to speak twin stick was considering this game.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 12:33 pm 

ED-057 wrote:
This is a twin stick game. I don't do twin stick games. My brain is not wired for it. When I was a kid, you had a d-pad and two buttons. Remember how NES Smash TV would allow a single player run with one controller in each hand? I would play this with my brother in a cooperative arrangement where one of us was in charge of movement and the other was the gunner. We did BETTER that way. And moving and shooting were the only things to be done in Smash TV. Crosscode on the other hand, somehow expects you to run, jump, guard, shoot, and slash at the same time. Totally impossible.

Just thought this crucial piece of information should be mentioned, in case anyone else who never learned to speak twin stick was considering this game.

Ok so...

1) Running is such a default natural thing in games it doesn't even need to be mentioned. You talk like there's some Ninja Gaiden, Mega Man Zero tier do-or-die platforming going on. There isn't. You run to the edge of a cliff and Lea jumps automatically. If you fall into a hazard, nothing happens. During combat, you don't need to run around a ton.

2) You do not jump in this game. Not manually. And certainly not during combat.

3) Yes, you shield if you so choose to build for a defensive playstyle. You don't have to. I don't.

4) Melee combat is as simple as hitting one button repeatedly.

5) Yes, the ranged combat, I GUESS, effectively makes it a twin stick game...sort of. It's a pivotal gimmick in it's design and is primarily used for it's difficult puzzle solving. But it's no different from action games that allow melee combat and a ranged option. Enemies are balanced to not be unclear when you can shoot at them and most of the time you can switch how you want to engage. If you can play WarFrame, PSO2 or any game that asks you to switch between melee and ranged at any point CrossCode is nothing new.

6) ""Impossible""
LMAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

I'm not even addressing the rest of whatever...that was.

Offline Profile