HARD ROCK SOLDIER x HEAVY METAL KILLER: Rawk Thread

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
FinalBaton

Re: HARD ROCK SOLDIER x HEAVY METAL KILLER: Rawk Thread

Post by FinalBaton »

Obiwanshinobi wrote:Listening to the 2016 remaster of Nemesis Divina by Satyricon, I get it now - they're like Swedish Pop* of Black Metal, contagiously catchy. One of those "all killer" albums, like Domain's Pandemonium, or Satura by Lacrimosa. These make me NOT ashamed of my teens, I mean, how could I resist?

*) I had pretty similar thoughts of Trio Mediæval recently, who even are, or at least were, partially Swedish, ethnics-wise, like, "Swedish Pop of early Euro music!"
Yeah, Satyricon are really great at the catchy heavy bm thing. They're one of those rare god-tier songwriters in catchy bm, no matter how you cut it. They just have it. songs are just so well put together, great dynamics in them (not talking dynamics in the mix, but rather in the song : tension and release, when to go sparse, how to mix it up etc) really elite in that aspect. fun arrangements always, surpising bits/curveballs.
I find them legit as well, I don't quite understand people who lump them in with Cradle and Dimmu. aside from maybe a tendency to orchestrate on later albums?

One of the only bands who match them in the crushing, catchy mid-tempo riff department IMO, are the mighty Craft. But they're not the exact same kinda band of course, they're more of a Raw bm.

And speaking of orchestration : I've quite been enjoying discovering early Arcturus, to my surprise. Not too much into the Castlevania-ish lush goth bm (I listen to SotN soundtrack when I want those vibes. I prefer my bm nasty and raw), but this is really epic and savage. Absolutely monstruous moments where keyboards or monastic chants just add so much to the crushing atmosphere of dread.
(And of course another exception in that style for me is Emperor's In the Nightside Eclipse. Just masterful and I love how chaotic it is and the slicing sound of guitars is succulent. the spot the keyboard sits in in the mix/composition is also super tasteful. But everybody that's in the genre loves that album pretty much so I don't feel like I need to explain why it's great).

I'll check Christ Agony, I don't know them
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
Obiwanshinobi

Post by Obiwanshinobi »

The soft spot I have for Christ Agony is, admittedly, due to them being quite like nothing else I'd heard before (I didn't know about any such music genre back then). In a very different time and age than they way things are around here these days. No mobile phones, no internet, but I got to hear some Black Metal on Polish Radio III, early afternoon hours.
So I was really moved the other day to find that their first two demos, released together on the "Faithless" compilation album, hold up handsomely.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8tOxueHcP4k
The rear gate is closed down
The way out is cut off

BIL

Post by BIL »

Absolutely golden 1976 performance of "Don't Believe A Word" - Phil Lynott & Gary Moore on vocals, opposite Scott Gorham and Cozy frickin Powell, with keyboardist to the gods Don Airey. With my knowing only the stompier Live And Dangerous version, this was a particularly nice surprise! Beautiful interpretations both.
null1024

Post by null1024 »

I've been listening to the self-titled album from Loudness.
I've mostly listened to their American-era stuff, and holy shit this is great. Much more aggressive sound with the lineup changes and the fact that they left the US market.
Hell Bites and Firestorm are my favorites, but it's pretty great as a whole.

SURGICAL STRIKES
LIGHT UP THE NIGHT
I'M GONNA DANCE ON THE GRAVE OF THE WORLD
fuckin' metal
Surprisingly, this is also the only song on the album with Japanese lyrics in it despite them returning to focus on the Japanese market.
Come check out my website, I guess. Random stuff I've worked on over the last two decades.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Last night I heard your voice
You were crying, crying, you were so alone
You said your love had never died
You were waiting for me at home
Put on my jacket, I ran through the woods
I ran till I thought my chest would explode
There in the clearing, beyond the highway
In the moonlight, our wedding house shone
I rushed through the yard, I burst through the front door
My head pounding hard, up the stairs I climbed
The room was dark, our bed was empty
Then I heard that long whistle whine
And I dropped to my knees, hung my head and cried

Now I swing a sledge hammer on a railroad gang
Knocking down them cross ties, working in the rain
Now don't it feel like you're a rider on a downbound train

Muh feels Image

Contra Hard Corps named its final boss BGM after this man for a reason Image
null1024 wrote:I've been listening to the self-titled album from Loudness.
I've mostly listened to their American-era stuff, and holy shit this is great. Much more aggressive sound with the lineup changes and the fact that they left the US market.
Hell Bites and Firestorm are my favorites, but it's pretty great as a whole.

SURGICAL STRIKES
LIGHT UP THE NIGHT
I'M GONNA DANCE ON THE GRAVE OF THE WORLD
fuckin' metal
Surprisingly, this is also the only song on the album with Japanese lyrics in it despite them returning to focus on the Japanese market.
I gotta get off my ass and listen to these guys - rather like Maiden and Priest, you could spend forever and a day on one without encountering the other, despite both's titanic stature in their home nations. Sounds like a good starting point!
Obiwanshinobi

Post by Obiwanshinobi »

My, I just found that a live action flick Detroit Metal City adaptation was made. DMC manga, then anime, did rock.

"Satsugai, satsugai..."
The way out is cut off

Herr Schatten

Post by Herr Schatten »

Been listing a lot to Born Again by Farmer Boys lately, their first album in 14 years. Not only doesn't it disappoint, it actually manages to exceed all expectations and surpass all its predecessors. Not that these were bad, quite the contrary. Almost every single one of the previous albums is a masterpiece, the sole exception maybe being the debut, which is probably too firmly rooted in the numetal sound of its day to achieve the timeless quality of the others. At least you can still listen to it today without feeling embarassed, something which you cannot say about many of its contemporaries.

Farmer Boys are a really unique band. There's no one else who sounds quite like them. Great creative guitar work meets soundscapes reminiscent of movie scores and vocal lines that wouldn't feel out of place on an 80s pop single.

You and Me
Obiwanshinobi

Post by Obiwanshinobi »

Herr Schatten wrote:Farmer Boys
The name surely rings a bell. Shall hear it.
The way out is cut off

Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Something more proggy? Found myself doing a lot of walking listening to Porcupine Tree lately.

Specifically Voyage 34

" This young man never had a bummer in some 33 LSD trips. Every one of them was a delight, everything under control. He needed only to snap his fingers and down he came, anytime. But on voyage 34 he finally met himself coming down an up-staircase, and the encounter was crushing."
1cc List - Youtube - You emptylock my heart
Herr Schatten

Post by Herr Schatten »

I'm really digging "Moment", the new album by Dark Tranquillity. I found their last three albums fairly mediocre, so I didn't expect much, but the new record turned out to be a nice surprise. I wonder if that's despite or because they switched out the whole guitar section of the band. The album doesn't quite reach the heights of something like Damage Done, but it has the most variety in vocals since Projector and the most interesting keys/electronica since Haven.

I'm curious to hear what you guys think about the new Sodom album. I had high expectations for it, not least because of Frank Blackfire's return to guitar duties, but I feel that it's a major disappointment. Too many songs are forgettable, and annoyingly most begin with tacked-on drawn-out intros that seem to have little connection to the songs themselves. It's a shame, really, as there are one or two tracks that make me feel like it's 1989 all over again, such as this one. If only the whole album carried that spirit.
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

Gonna report back on new Sodom record Herr Schatten
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
BIL

Post by BIL »

As always, coming away from a Sopranos rewatch leaves me with a stack of killer music to re/discover. David Chase & co (including Stevie Van Zandt, see Downbound Train above) had a nose for rock n' roll, particularly late 60s/early 70s stuff from the characters' fictional youths. Lots of love for The Kinks, a foundational 60s band whose 80s discography has always allured. Funny dudes, seemed to age gracefully into arch jokers as New Wave hit. With nil affectations whatsoever, Destroyer is both floorboard-stompingly catchy and ruefully hilarious, the verse riff snarling in contempt as neuroses bite down hard. :lol:

STAY IN CONTROL (■`W´■)
Girl, I want, you here with me (`ω´メ)
But I'm really not as cool as I'd like to be (◎ω◎;)

Johnny Thunders' You Can't Put Your Arms Around A Memory plays over one of the show's most beloved endings, s2e11 "House Arrest." An impeccable tune, but I've never really gotten into the album it's from, So Alone. Irrational as it may be, the apparent relegation of the title track to an unreleased bonus kinda chafes me arse! Image Cavernous dark pub closer that brings to mind New Dawn Fades as much as anything from Johnny's side of the Atlantic. Love how it simultaneously disintegrates while accelerating off a cliff, rather like ill-fated Mr Thunders himself. 3;

Typing on fumes sadly, can't do Thunders/Heartbreakers landmark LAMF the justice it requires, imma be lazy for now and CTRL+V (`ω´メ) bulletproof razor disc, will lop a hippo's todger off at fifty paces without fail.
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

Ok, I know this one is hyped af, but IDGAF

this sooooo good. for someone like me who spends 90% of his music-listening time listening to '80s metal, this is pure eargasm. truly magnificent stuff and impressive, strong songs with hooks that sink deep

pure NWOBHM/melodic Heavy Metal crunchy guitar shredding riffage, with a hint of Power Metal and Barbarian/Dark Fantasy imagery, and stomps like a motherfucc.

the vocals might be the cherry on top of this awesome mix. They're a bit unusual in tone and they have great melody lines, very stoic and heroic, fully worthy of narrating the legendary tales of skull crushing barbarians. They're more like OG doom vocals you could say. which is awesome mix.

ETERNAL CHAMPION - Ravening Iron

-FM Synth & Black Metal-
BIL

Post by BIL »

RAVENING IRON is some quality INVINCIBLE HOG wordage, these chaps have secured my interest. Image

Been digging The Old Grey Whistle Test this weekend. Venerable old British music show... maybe comparable in format to American Bandstand? I'm reluctant to say, having grown up without either. I'd always hear old my rocker uncles mention them in the same convos BITD. Regardless, their 70s broadcasts featured the cream of the crop at the top of their game. OGWT apparently used pre-recorded instrumentals and live vocals pre-1973, but everything after that is 100% live, busted strings and all, right up to their last broadcast in '87.

Here's Robin Trower's gorgeously doomy n' bluesy Bridge of Sighs. First encountered this song, and Trower himself, via its inclusion on Opeth's Watershed. A very nice cover, to be sure - I go between which I prefer. This live one's as good as either, incredible sound and atmosphere in a one-and-done live take.

Crumbs, the Gary Moore x Thin Lizzy Don't Believe A Word I posted a while back is down. Here's another. Image I wonder what the rights/archival situation is like with these shows. I snaffle up clips wherever I see 'em but I suspect there's some mighty box sets out there. OTOH, Dr. Who fans got some real heartbreakers to tell re: lost episodes. :o
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

forgot to add that : Eternal Champion's Ravening Iron is my album of the year for 2020.

the slight doom feel on top of war marches and olden Heavy metuluhhh, takes it over the edge.

----------------------------------------

I'll check out these links BIRRU, I'm always up for discovering some Lizzy and others. I'm familiar with OGWT
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
Herr Schatten

Post by Herr Schatten »

Really enjoying the title track of Ravaging Iron, but I don't really really seem to be warming up to the rest of the album. It's stuck in mid-tempo a bit too much for my taste, even if there's undeniable quality there. The cover is metal as fuck, too. (I suggest the artist takes another peek at his anatomy book, though. The arm of the lady on the throne looks disturbingly weird, even more so the longer you look at it.)
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

@Herr Schatten. the title track is actually my least favourite track on the record.
it looks like we're looking for something completely different in that type of metal. which is really interesting and why i like to discuss this stuff!

To me title track has the least interesting mood. the other tracks hit a mood that's far cooler! I love the mid-paced tempos here, they have this doomy-yet-epic war march feel (reinforced by the vocals).

--------------------------------------------------

On another note, I watched two Thin Lizzy shows on Youchewbe last night. I enjoyed it

one was in 1981, and the other in 1983, with John Sykes (man that guy RIPS. what a great guitar player).

Phil looked very tired in the 1983 show (albeit still turned in great performance). reading the comments, he was several years deep in his heroin addiction by that point, which explains that

--------------------------------------------------

And yet on another note, I want to highlight a Canadian thrash jewel. Thrash afficionado will know them, but surely not the rest.

Canada is well known for it's compact yet cult-classic savage roster of speed metal and thrash metal outfits, of course. But today I want to highlight a band that, to me, hangs with the best of 'em : Sacrifice.

FORWARD TO TERMINATION

Their first record Torment In Fire (1986) is a really good raw sounding, satanic mayhem, reminiscent of Slayer. Quality riffs throughout. By their second record, Forward To Termination (1987), it was more technical thrash albeit with a production and some bits reminiscent of their raw origins. This record is really fast and precise for the time, reminiscent of Kreator's Extreme Aggression and preceding it by 2 years. Maybe only rivaled by fellow canadians power-thrash outfit Razor (which I will highlight in another post).

The riffs are a non-stop assault of savagery here, from tremolo-picked parts, to fast moving melodic palm-muted fills, it's all high quality and head banging stuff. All catchy evil rock from top to bottom.

In 1990 they cranked out their 3rd album Soldiers Of Misfortune. A better produced, crisp thrash record. Very good stuff also, and depending on your tastes you might like this one better than Forward. But me I prefer their 2nd LP. it just has something about it.

So to end this post, here are a handful of awesome canadian early thrash records I highly recommend fans of that specific genre check out :

-Sacrifice ''Forward To Termination''

-Razor ''Evil Invaders''

-Infernal Mafesty ''None Shall Defy''

-Slaughter ''Strappado''
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
BIL

Post by BIL »

Superb post. :cool: Blasted Forward To Termination in my brief music time tonight, fuckin mechanised assault. Image Returning tomorrow for sure (fuckin flat... grew up with acres of empty space, never appreciated it until now) The internet's a friggin miracle ain't it. Used to be I'd have to theorise what the bands I was reading about sounded like. (yeah I know, internet's caused a lot of trouble too. hard cheese innit :oops: Image)

Finally moved me ol' music folder from my ancient potato to my brand-new medieval potato!

JOHNNY THUNDERS & THE HEARTBREAKERS
LIKE A MOTHERFUCKER

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3vnSiDrzmM

Immortal sleaze-rock hurricane, as furied and addled as it is effortless. Doesn't burn out so much as detonate, not fade away. While these guys were - by their own admission - useless at the mixing desk, the studio said to resemble a needle-strewn bombsite, they were an A1 live unit who could jolt their songs to roaring life in the most abject conditions. The Lost '77 Mixes fixes things right up - the drums pound and crash, the guitars grind and howl, the record takes on the tangible presence of a good live LP, punctuated only by the odd "YEAH!" and "ONE-TWO-THREE-FOUR!" and "Was that alright?"

These guys are widely named as punk progenitors, a field with many a heated nerdfight. IDGAF. >_> Rather like the Ramones, they remind me of nothing so much as the Stones and the Kinks - though not as much The Beatles. LAMF only minimally expresses Joey and Dee Dee's keen pop sense, otherwise favouring Johnny Ramone's speciality - buzzsawingly insistent, fighting-trim rock n' roll, launching shoe after audibly contemptuous shoe at the mainstream Seventies' increasingly padded ass.

For all the junkie malaise lapping at the edges of this disc, it can hardly slow down, inevitably exploding afterward. Technical chops are a decided cut above their strictly-business contemporaries The Ramones and The Saints - Johnny Thunders' lead guitar keens, wails and weeps with a passion flatly denying Johnny Ramone's "no solos" policy. You can have solos in blistering, no-bullshit rock n' roll, just not wank-offs. Is about what u saying maaan!

Incidentally, Dee Dee collaboration Chinese Rocks had to be crowbarred into The Ramones' lukewarm End of the Century - Johnny detesting the junkie lifestyle, correctly noting it was no lack of talent, but simple vice that'd doom the unit he regarded as his only New York rivals. Unsurprisingly, the longer-lived band's Rocks sounds as uncharacteristically affected as much of its surrounding LP. Compare the cheerful, cheesy exit of the Ramones' take (all it needs is a freeze-framed high five) to the discordant groaning collapse of Thunders and company.

There are some very catchy tunes in here, namely marquee single Chinese Rocks (a notorious song, owing to authorship disputes between Dee Dee and collaborators - monster riff and grim lyrics aside, I think it's the nearest LAMF gets to a pop single, besides opener "Born Too Lose"), rock-steady Pirate Love, amiably manic Goin' Steady and its more frantic escalation One Track Mind (formerly "Love Comes In Spurts" - RIP mischievous Walter Lure, longtime sole survivor and unit co-guitarist/vocalist/writer, recently deceased - making LAMF a punk cenotaph on par with any of The Ramones' legendary First Four), and the cheerfully barraging closer Let Go.

I've always found myself favouring the more percussive, abrasive stuff, three of which slam down in rapid succession post-opener: the barraging roar and alleycat yowl of Baby Talk, the eccentrically bumpy pair of All By Myself and Get Off The Phone, and the audibly fret-grinding I Wanna Be Loved. Not a weak track to be found in here - even sole lover's ballad I Love You makes weight with its grittily brilliant Keef riff, though it's second to the gorgeous, sparingly plaintive It's Not Enough. As Johnny Ramone said, as filthy a unit as these guys were, they could distinguish themselves with prodigious ease. They just never bothered to. Image

A chronicle of truly all-consuming sleaze rock. Image Definitely a record to hear from end to end, no matter where one's favourites fall. Songwriting and performance is so tightly focused, nothing sticks around for long anyway. This release includes a couple covers, AFAIK bonus tracks - they're agreeable performances, and fine selections, but as is frequently the case with extra tracks, I find them jarring in album context, having long since chopped 'em.
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

ah yes for sure. LAMF is a stone cold classic. one of my top OG punk recommends. the tape mix if possible. absolute bomb. pure catchy (disorganized) hotwire energy. ramshackle is the word here

I've come to realize that what I like the most about that record might be the variety. so many different tempos and ideas, all pulled off with (barebone) gusto.

a nice little counterpoint to the Ramones rigid formula of the first few records
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
Obiwanshinobi

Post by Obiwanshinobi »

Speaking of "CD extras" kind of tracks, I'm listening to Wipers Box Set (mp3 rips freeloaded 13 or so years ago, but I'm eyeing up legit item right now). Bonus tracks were actually the main reason why I quit listening to the lot back then, as it was just too much at once for me. Nowadays, I feel more tolerant about them. My favourite style of electric guitarmanship, where one chap fills four shoes: Tommy Victor, Pete Townshend etc.*) I feel there's a grudge of sorts borne by some would-be guitar heroes, against Greg Sage (or, come to think of it, Edge of U2) - don't you dare being known from playing electric guitar if you're not at least Eddie Van Halen (R.I.P.)

The other day I found Anthrax' Among the Living was produced by Eddie Kramer, no less, and so I ended up reading pretty fascinating stories about recording Hendrix' debut album and such. Like Kramer's choice of dedicating two of available four tracks to percussion, rather unusually for its time (better known from Led Zeppelin's II, emulated a lot ever since). Which brought the - alleged - Rick Rubin's credo to mind that "drums recorded well are half(?) of success" (I may be misquoting, though).

*) I would count Robert Matera of Dezerter among them, really.
The way out is cut off

Blinge

Post by Blinge »

1cc List - Youtube - You emptylock my heart
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

Are you ready for my fave thrash metal record of all time, you fucks???

Come on, chug your beer and mosh, this is RAZOR

Evil Invaders (1985)

Where can I start with this badass af early thrash outing. Evil Invaders (1985) is everything I look for in a thrash record. It's as if Motörhead and Slayer fucked and had some sort of a demon baby together.

First of all this is heavy as fuck for 1985! The chug craft from Dave Carlo is immense, and despite this record having a hint of speed metal flair, this is actually a foundational record for the subgenre of Power Thrash, with how precise and fast and hard hitting the riffage is.

But I prefer the early thrash sound and this is just a pure delight. Stace « Sheepdog » McLaren's rough vocals and cut-throat attitude gives a feeling of unknowingly entering a biker bar where the band performs and feeling threatened for your life :lol: his vocals are legit some of the best and more unique in the genre. His crazy high pitched whistle-screams rule! and is lower gruff voice is commanding, one of my very favourite voices in thrash. A bit of speed metal drum patterns and priest riffs/melody gives this a leather and bike feel, but then the fast as hell skank beats kick in and Dave carlo's monstrous picking absolutely obliterates everything in it's path, leaving nothing but a trail of flames behind it.

Possibly the greatest asset of the record is it's songcraft which is soaring sky-high. Tracks 1 through 3 and 7 through 10 are straight up masterpieces. and tracks 4 through 6 while a cut below are still good. the tunes are memorable, with flawless song structures, catchy riffs and perfect moods for this style and what the band wanted to project. This is truly lightning in a bottle case here.

This is easily a top 10 thrash record of all time. EASILY. And I think it challenges for the top spot. Depending whether you prefer tech-thrash, of more death oriented one, or more ''pop', or progressive styles, your number 1 pick will reflect that. But for me, this is number 1.
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
BIL

Post by BIL »

I'm gonna look back on this thread in a couple years as "the one that convinced me to never, ever live in a flat again." :lol: Airing that one at bowel-rumbling volume pon the morrow. :cool:
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

Currently spinning this.

It's hard to beat old Slayer. at least for my tastes

-FM Synth & Black Metal-
BIL

Post by BIL »

Reverted to old favourites myself this weekend, played To Mega Therion end to end like four times while writing various STs tonight. You know when a song you've heard a million times manages to completely earworm you all over again? Had the intro of Fainted Eyes (the sound of a monstrous lawnmower backfiring in the depths of hell) and the verse riffs (the flame-belching weedwhacker of a mortally vengeful YVWH genociding all who desecrate his driveway) ringing in my ears all night. This whole record sounds like coolly practical, obscenely powerful machinery hammering stubborn targets to so much pulp, this track most of all.

"UH! OOH! HEY-HEYYY!"/obligatory :lol:
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

Gotta do an ''OUGH!'' joke :lol:

yeah I totally get it. I mostly listen to the same stuff over and over, tbh. when I really love something I wanna savour it, ya know?
90% of my work music-listening is Priest, Maiden, WASP, Dokken, and Anthem... I've honestly heard Piece Of Mind 1000 times by now and I still want more :lol: I remember you saying you felt guilty for staying in your comfy slippers musically. I guarantee I'm 100x worse in that regard, haha

good ol' Tom G. Warrior. Morbid Tales one of my fave records of all time as I've often said here, shit is so massive. Got a cool vinyl reissue here. so immediate and HEAVY, and songcraft is incredibly tight. There's something so crushing aboot 'em. I think it's in part to their sound and the mix too. they figured out that when you're a trio you gotta thin out the guitar and crank the bass the fuck up. His voice is really low too. gotta be the heaviest standard tuning metal I've ever heard! Honest. Really hoping to find a first press of TMT locally. Did you listen to Tryptykon?

For me Slayer is really sentimental. It's my biggest influence guitar-playing wise (and one of my very fave bands full-stop. top 3 for sure. Probaly THE most important band in my life). First challenging riff I learned, after cutting my teeth on Ramones tunes, is Black Magic from record shown above. One of my formative metal/songwritting influences along with King Diamond. I really cherish those bands. I've got unconditional love for Slayer. and there's something about early thrash... well early heay before it split ou into death and black.

Was musing the other day over ''what's the most important year in metal''. I think it's gotta be either '83 or '84.
'83 had records by Slayer, Metallica and Mercyful Fate.
'84 had records (or EP) by all 3, plus Bathory and Hellhammer.

Anyway, those are my picks. case could be made for other years too, like 80 (Maiden), 81 (Venom) etc
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
BIL

Post by BIL »

FinalBaton wrote:I remember you saying you felt guilty for staying in your comfy slippers musically.
Yeah precisely! :mrgreen: There's some records I keep permanently on hand for plane/train rides, or just blasting at home, that I know down to the tiniest fret squeak and tape hiss... some years I just orbit around those. Reminds me of what John Lennon said about Ringo Starr, circa Plastic Ono Band. Somebody asked why he wasn't working with high-end specialists like Ginger Baker or John Bonham, Lennon replied that Ringo was Ringo and he couldn't be arsed. Image

I find a few new favourite records/performers a year, but I don't restlessly seek/destroy like with my true infernal passion, THE HARD GAYMING Image ( :lol: )
Did you listen to Tryptykon?
Oh hell yeah, "Goetia" was my Opening Credits BGM for like a year straight. :cool: Fuuuck, I'd not thought of that one in a while. Tom's shrapnel-gargling "LAWWWRD, HAVE MERCY UPON ME!" will set you up for the day.

Obscura was right on with Eparistera Daimones being Monotheist Pt.II, which is what I was looking for pretty much. I get why that record isn't every oldschool Frost fan's cup of tea, I suppose it helps that I'm a relative neophyte to all this (grew up way outside any of these bands' live or even album distro orbits, as a kid I don't think I went beyond staple Maiden/Sabbath/Priest). Regardless, I think of them as two separate units. Some of those chanted choruses are irresistible. Great concept too. Lucifer is the bitchass Will Smith to Tetragrammaton's choke-lifting Uncle Phil, only in this case, THE YAOI IS CANON :shock:

In darkness
Thou art mine
Eternally

Thought Melana Chasmata had its moments too, bit poppier overall but Black Snow will most definitely rattle your china cabinet like anything off the prior two. Again, killer biblio-apocalyptic imagery, something Frost always had a gift for.

Song that made the biggest impression of that trio was A Dying God Coming Into Human Flesh, it's a beaut. RIP Martin Ain.
I've got unconditional love for Slayer. and there's something about early thrash... well early heay before it split ou into death and black.

Was musing the other day over ''what's the most important year in metal''. I think it's gotta be either '83 or '84.
'83 had records by Slayer, Metallica and Mercyful Fate.
'84 had records (or EP) by all 3, plus Bathory and Hellhammer.

Anyway, those are my picks. case could be made for other years too, like 80 (Maiden), 81 (Venom) etc
I'm particularly fond of that crisis point circa '83, where you can tell something was gonna fucking give re: NWOBHM et al - Voivoid's Anachronism boot remains my favourite case in point, where their Priest covers sound like Motorhead, and their Motorhead covers sound like Venom, and their Venom covers sublimate into outright audible violence (that "Witching Hour" is astonishing).

(Lemmy is rolling his eyes in heaven at the comparison ;3 yo they can be some goofy fucks but Angel Dust is legitimately cotton-mouthed ravenous, and the live Flytrap, Satanarchist and especially motherfucking Black Metal off Eine Kleine are razor-sharp)
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

Yeah it's really cool how Tom G. went full sludgey, disonant, unhinged metal. I mean Celtic frost already has lots of sludgey passages but this is just taken that much farther with Tryptykon. really cool how he went more XTREEM and experimental while still maintaining his signature sound.

Yeah definitely an inflection point circa 1983, when things were about to go massively more unhinged. Oh that's true how Anachronism is a good time capsule, yes. Playing cold, mean takes of Motorhead and Venom right before exploding into the sci-fi thrash monsters that they are so beloved for.

I do discover a couple bands every year and try to listen to a couple current records, so looks like I'm more proactive in this aspect than you are afterall (I do put more time and energy in music, then I do gaymes. music is really my lifeblood and my sick passion. I'm obssessed with listening to and writting music)
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
BIL

Post by BIL »

Eternal Summer is possibly my favourite example of old Frost's astonishing agility. Starts off Sweet Leaf sludgy, then detonates into Black Metal fury, then goes even heavier, then even faster. It's not the calculatedly angular violence of thrash ala KIMB/Puppets/Reign - very linear, very organic, just a monstrous rock allowed to sink one moment, blasted off into the void the next, only to be hauled back from the edge of the sound barrier by its masters. The push/pull is near-tangible, you can almost feel the ROCKET BLAST FURY needed to turn that crushing Sab sludge into a screaming Venom meteor.

I remember Tom mentioning that he loved the term "Death Metal," but rather like Lemmy, he considered Frost simply ultra-heavy rock n' roll - this song illustrates well. I'm never gonna get away from Mega Therion, it's up there with LAMF for doing its thing to perfection. Image
Obiwanshinobi

Post by Obiwanshinobi »

I remember that Razor's Evil Invaders cover from an SF magazine's issue highlighting SF & fantasy imagery in rock music. I must compliment its vocals. Annihilator's debut album fares far worse in this regard.
Listening to various Héroes del Silencio albums right now. Entre dos tierras is one of those tracks that could last seemingly forever. Although, as a whole, my favourite album by them would be El Espíritu del Vino, followed by El Mar No Cesa.
The way out is cut off