HARD ROCK SOLDIER x HEAVY METAL KILLER: Rawk Thread

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
Ed Oscuro

Re: HARD ROCK SOLDIER x HEAVY METAL KILLER: Rawk Thread

Post by Ed Oscuro »

vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

ha. ha. ha.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Blimey, good stuff. :shock: I've enjoyed a bit of Apocalyptica here and there, but I'm surprised I'd never heard of those two. Even got the appropriate brosthetic for Angus n' Mal. :cool:

In my recs this morning, Lamb Of God's fairly slamming "Wake Up Dead" redux, featuring Mustaine He Good Self. Other than the over-egged final verse, it's pretty good! (Peace Sells is one of my "Jenga Tower" records - precarious punky perfection, I can't stand even its official remaster's tweaks).

I've had too much to drink... Image

One hell of an opener. Image A sullenly violent procession of bricking riffs and slashing solos, couched in bellowing terrace-chant rage. Disgraceful! And it slams straight into headstomper "The Conjuring," whiplashing gearshredder "DEVIL SALAD," and the blistering horror saga of "Black Friday," before "Bad Omen" and "I Ain't Superstitious" simmer the pace from jackhammer to sledge, and "My Last Words" pulls the pin with a disarming plaintive yowl, the exhausted bookend to this brutal fatalistic slab ("DIE!!!"). What's that? Where's the much-loved title track in this impromptu revue? I zone out during it usually, tbh. Good it got them some airplay, good it's short. :cool: Christ, what an earth-shattering juggernaut of a record. Image
null1024

Post by null1024 »

Youtube recommended me Burn the Night by Riot City, and I'm having a great time listening to it.
Also, I'm too lazy to check if it's been brought up, but the sole release from Stone Dagger, consisting of just two songs, is unreasonably good.
I have listened to The Siege Of Jerusalem like 7 times today.

RUN FOR SHELTER
OH, RUN FOR YOUR LIIIIIIFE!

I HAVE SEEN-
OH SO MANY MEN
FALLEN, FOR THEY WON'T KNEEL
STAND WITH ME
BURN IN ME
SHOW ME YOU'RE REAL
BEFORE I DIE IN YOUR LIIIIIGHT!

man, it's so good

Both are fairly recent throwback sound releases, and have properly oldschool sound.

I've also been listening to the new Sin Starlett album, Solid Source of Steel.
Extremely fun listen, with the single caveat that the singer unironically sounds like Skeletor from He-Man. Might be a good thing to be honest, because Skeletor leading a metal band is extremely metal, but I can't say it isn't a bit corny until you get used to it.
Come check out my website, I guess. Random stuff I've worked on over the last two decades.
Herr Schatten

Post by Herr Schatten »

I'm currently blasting the new single from Kreator on repeat. I can't get enough of it. It seems like they are incorporating some of the more melodic stuff from their experimental phase back into their thrashy sound without sacrificing the latter's heaviness.

Right now this makes their forthcoming album my most-anticipated one of 2022, together with The Halo Effect's upcoming debut.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Another nice surprise from my recs, Mdou Moctar - Live in Niamey, Niger. (effectively a mini concert film; here's a timestamp to the performance proper)

African Desert Blues-informed prog. Put it on in the background while working; had to post after the chaps attained and maintained an especially cookin' groove @ 25m or so. ("Imouhar") Image Blue-gritted yet entrancingly rhythmic stuff.
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

BIL wrote:Another nice surprise from my recs, Mdou Moctar
I've seen them twice here in baltimore. There's a good international performing arts center here that books them regularly.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Excellent to hear! :smile: Can tell these guys are something special. Their drummer in particular is wonderful.
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

BIL wrote:Excellent to hear! :smile: Can tell these guys are something special. Their drummer in particular is wonderful.
one of the Baltimore community artists who does a lot local posters and band t-shirts did a t shirt for them recently

https://www.instagram.com/p/CddRhk5LVmB ... JmNzVkMjY=
Herr Schatten

Post by Herr Schatten »

So, the new Kreator album Hate über alles is here and it’s …absolutely not what I expected.

Given that the two predecessors were both excellent and commercially successful, I had expected the new album to more or less follow in their footsteps, continuing the course the band has been on for the last twenty years. There are, of course, some songs on the new record that fit this bill, but there are others that successfully channel either the band's iconic early works or the woefully underappreciated experimental phase they went through in the 1990s. On top of that, there are plenty of new experiments, including appearances of guest vocalists and a really cool Maiden homage (Become Immortal).

It’s by far the most diverse album the band has released during their career. I hope it doesn’t become their most divisive. At the very least you can’t accuse them of playing it safe, which is something I wish I could say about a couple of other bands, even ones that haven’t been in the business quite as long as Kreator. High quality all around, even if the album requires a bit of an open-minded approach from the listener.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Sounds like an interesting time to get into them! (said a crastinator so shamelessly pro, he puts off things he actually wants to do :oops: :lol:) Thanks for the continued insights, before summer's out imma jump into the legendary Teutonic metal canon with both feet.

Crossposting this here and in the rawk n' metal thread. File it under "not VGM, but made expressly for lovers of" along with DYAD and Zabutom. Blazing, stomping anthemic STG-calibre metal with a touch of doom ala TFIV's "Downright Attack." Builds the pressure then blows the roof off. Fierily cinematic in the best tradition of classic action VGM! Would do any Tecno Soft STG (or pinball) proud. Heard it unexpectedly on a stream I follow, had to instantly pause and go find the full track to blast at window-rattling volume. One of those rare crossover bullseye hits where two of your favourite musical genres sync up flawlessly, y'know? Image I'm gonna keep an eye on this dude/dudes!
Obiwanshinobi

Post by Obiwanshinobi »

Out of my recently-bought cheap CDs, I've been gleefully listening to 70s' Kiss albums (Kiss, Alive!, Destroyer, Rock and Roll Over, Dynasty) as well as Slayer's Diabolus in Musica, God Hates Us All and World Painted Blood, mostly from a boombox at work.

I used to be extremely underexposed to Kiss up until previous decade. Certain venerable radio DJ reveald in an interview lately that they were secretely banned in People's Republic of Poland due to the SS "runes" in their logo. Must have been also a problem in other countries as the lettering on some of these CDs I have here is quite different. And it really is humbling to learn just how much life-changing musical experience is to be found out there, after all these years of finding more and more.

Also, Oddech wymarłych światów and Live Jarocin '92 by Kat. Naszyjniki z kości mam do pasa. R.I.P. Roman Kostrzewski.
The rear gate is closed down
The way out is cut off

vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

Obiwanshinobi wrote:Out of my recently-bought cheap CDs, I've been gleefully listening to 70s' Kiss albums (Kiss, Alive!, Destroyer, Rock and Roll Over, Dynasty) as well as Slayer's Diabolus in Musica, God Hates Us All and World Painted Blood, mostly from a boombox at work.
Of all the 70s Kiss output, Hotter Than Hell stands out to me and is my favorite. Also very partial to Rock And Rollover. I suppose the critical favorite is usually Dressed to Kill or Destroyer (depending on whether or not the reviewer liked the experimentation on Destroyer). Honestly though, their 70's output is so consistently good that you can just buy all of it, with the exception of the solo affairs; they are good, but uneven and only Ace Frehley is necessary (Gene Simmons is almost as good).
Obiwanshinobi

Post by Obiwanshinobi »

I wonder how many other bands could humble both The Beatles and The Who at being THIS good in studio AND on stage (assuming Alive! wasn't extensively studio-overdubbed).

Speaking of The Who, my advice to anyone wondering where to start getting to know their legacy, my perhaps "leftfield" (omitting Live at Leeds and Who's Next), advice would be:

1) Watching The Kids Are Alright film, or at least its very beginning (I did not find it on YouTube last time I checked). Now, this one IS overdubbed here and there.

2) Listening to My Generation: The Very Best of The Who, as an attempt to give their studio recordings justice of sorts.

3) Listening to Quadrophenia album (their most impressive studio job for my money).

Separately, none of the above makes for an "exhaustive The Who experience" one could hope to gain from recordings, but all of them combined can be quite a journey.

There's also much to be learnt from Thirty Years of Maximum R&B box, but it might be a tad overkill.
The way out is cut off

BIL

Post by BIL »

Was really digging Ace Frehley's solo stuff a while back. I know he's always had a diehard following, so the quality wasn't a surprise - got exactly the artfully loose yet punishingly hard-hitting rock I gravitate to lately. Mostly been dabbling in late 80s live footage, but his 2016 Origins album's got some good stuff too, including an absolute fire-breathing skull-shattering Parasite redux. As brutal as rock n' roll gets before smelting into outright bludgeoning metal. Image

Late 80s live Rocket Ride (what an infernally catchy yet balls-hard riff! recalls Motorhead's slamming Black Heart), a speed-freaked Parasite from '92, and this more recent Rip It Out remind me of Heartbreakers-era Johnny Thunders - addled yet animalistically agile and relentless sleaze-rock. Fan favourite the daft yet unashamedly chest-beating Rock Soldiers worth a listen for its atmospheric, smouldering verse lick.

I like this guy's style, he's a living burnout that's still somehow mostly functional, I imagine his medically remarked tolerance for the 'ludes helping with that. Good to see he's still in fine form after one of the more hellacious 70s rocker crash/burns I've read of lately.

Live At Leeds, there's a true evergreen... just seeing the title makes me want to fire it up.

Speaking of, I'd always seen it said that The Ramones' It's Alive was pieced together from their England gigs in 1977, but giving this concert film from the same period a listen, I like its setlist way more.

~25mins, and like the classic first four it draws from (ST/Leave Home/Rocket To Russia/Road To Ruin), endlessly loopable. Standout tracks... honestly it's best downed in one, but I'm particularly fond of Dee Dee's backing vocals on Listen To My Heart. Image Rock n' Roll at its most curatively instant, like a basket of puppies this one. :cool:

Gotta say I never really dug "Now I Wanna Sniff Some Glue" as much in its studio incarnation, but holy fuck it stomps on heads here. Johnny Ramone was famously a "keep it simple, we ain't virtuosos here" sort who gradually earned a legacy of his own... he and Dee Dee's vaunted influence on the Big Four's gleaming razor-chromed rhythm lines is impossible to miss in those "five six seven eight!" breaks.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

I saw Hot Water Music play an early festival set the other day ( so disappointingly brief!! )
I really wanted to see them back in 2008 :shock:

so looked up some of their recent stuff.

https://youtu.be/q1d4bvpj-pI

I love the energy in this. Old men on skateboards but it's not forced or cringey to me.
Cause these guys have always been in that world, and they're just naturally having some fun. idk, i dig it.
brought a grin to my miserable old mush.

Interesting that one of the two- frontmen / Chris Wollard has taken a backseat in recent years and they brought on a touring singer/guitarist (Chris Cresswell) to replace him. But both of them are in the videos and involved with song writing which is super cool imo.
There doesn't seem to be any ego or posturing coming through!
not the kind you usually hear about (looking at you, ulrich)

Like, he's both stand in and fully fledged member.

https://youtu.be/8E4AgmQbjjw
oh one more song cause this one's way better.
1cc List - Youtube - You emptylock my heart
Obiwanshinobi

Post by Obiwanshinobi »

In The Beatles' defense, mentioned before as a band not so great on stage, albeit most fervently welcome by female audience, that you can hear to this day - it has to be said that technical circumstances they performed in were, typically, pretty rough. Albums like Who's Live at Leeds and Purple's Made in Japan still had yet to appear and prove how live recordings of rock music can be produced and brought to your home device, when Beatles were not really performing live anymore.
I speak very much from personal experience - although I can't possibly remember nineteen-sixties or seventies, now, nineteen-NINETIES in my country of origins were SAVAGE in terms of music production, be it live or studio. Well, we had walkmans and the gigs were at least LOUD, but otherwise I attended many concerts leaving a lot to be desired from technical point of view, nonetheless enuthusiastically perceived be audience who did not have much alternative handy.
The way out is cut off

Herr Schatten

Post by Herr Schatten »

I’m totally stoked by the prospect of a possibly upcoming Depressive Age reunion. So far nothing is known beyond a new website under construction that has appeared, though.

I’m aware that it’s possible nothing of value will come out of this, but if they manage to continue where they left off in 1996, we can look forward to the return of one of the most unique thrash/alternative bands ever.
Air Master Burst

Post by Air Master Burst »

While I'm mostly a rap/lofi/punk fan, I did have the luxury of growing up about 3 blocks away from the mighty Root Cellar Records, owned and managed by Minnesota metal luminary Earl Root (RIP!). As such, I spent a lot of time in the basement dungeon over there, playing their Gorgar machine (when it was working) and earning a bit of an appreciation for crunchy riffs and weird time signature changes, and I can safely recommend the following albums:

Cynic - Focus (1993, RoadRunner): Kind of a jazz fusion thrash album. Hard to describe, but fucking incredible. Apparently the metal fandom hated it so much when it first released that it caused Cynic to disband for over a decade. I guess Cannibal Corpse fans didn't appreciate the artistry.

Dark Angel - Time Does Not Heal (1991, Combat): I don't know if anyone has ever crammed more riffs into less space. This album will shred your fucking face like a leopard with blenders duct taped to its paws.

Atheist - Unquestionable Presence (1991, Death Records): MORE crazy tempo changes? YOU BET! This album absolutely lives up to its name. Get it, play it, inject it into your veins!

Pestilence - Spheres (1993, RoadRunner): Incredibly divisive, a lot of people fucking hated this upon release. Similar to Cynic's Focus, I imagine the refining of the average metal fan's palette between 93 and 08, when they reunited, did a lot for this album's long-term reputation.

The Haunted - Made Me Do It (2000, Earache): Not quite the same cult classic status as the rest of these albums, but Dark Intentions into Bury Your Dead might be the hottest two opening tracks in metal history.

ETA In loving memory of Earl Root: Impaler - One Nation Under Ground (2000, Root Of All Evil Records): Not the classic 80s album that got them targeted by Tipper Gore, but holy shit if this doesn't have some of the catchiest shock rock songs I've ever heard. Both the title track and Revenge of the Lizard Man still occasionally get randomly stuck in my head. Includes a pretty fun cover of Alice Cooper's Teenage Frankenstein.
King's Field IV is the best Souls game.
RottenToTheGore

Post by RottenToTheGore »

Air Master Burst wrote: Atheist - Unquestionable Presence (1991, Death Records): MORE crazy tempo changes? YOU BET! This album absolutely lives up to its name. Get it, play it, inject it into your veins!
Good stuff! I usually share the track Animal from Elements when I feel like someone would be into it.
Air Master Burst wrote: Impaler - One Nation Under Ground (2000, Root Of All Evil Records): Not the classic 80s album that got them targeted by Tipper Gore, but holy shit if this doesn't have some of the catchiest shock rock songs I've ever heard. Both the title track and Revenge of the Lizard Man still occasionally get randomly stuck in my head. Includes a pretty fun cover of Alice Cooper's Teenage Frankenstein.
That takes me back! Shock Rock 2000 was on a magazine compilation I bought back in high school, catchy as all hell.

Mostly just keeping my music on shuffle lately, plenty of Ghoul, Impaled and The Berzerker.

Finally going back to some shows too, not rock/metal but got to see Hocico from Mexico a few months ago in a super tiny venue. On the metal side I'm taking my Dad and a family friend to see Anthrax, Black Label Society and Hatebreed next week.
Herr Schatten

Post by Herr Schatten »

Days of the Lost, the debut album by The Halo Effect is out, and it’s every bit as awesome as I had hoped. It’s a throwback to the heyday of the Gothenburg sound, think In Flames ca. Jester Race/Whoracle with a hint of Dark Tranquillity ca. Damage Done. It’s no surprise that the band sounds like that, as all (!) the members are, in fact, ex-members of In Flames, and vocalist Mikael Stanne is also still in Dark Tranquillity. I just hope DT won’t suffer from Stanne’s involvement with The Halo Effect, as they had just returned to form after a longer string of less than stellar releases.
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

Was visiting a buddy in Pittsburgh over the weekend and ran across this. I remembered that you were digging on it a couple years back, BIL.

BIL

Post by BIL »

Helluva record, that. :mrgreen: The most unexpected treat for a Winds of Thunder fan ever! Totally nails that crystal-clear upbeat vibe. McAlpine's neoclassical shredding form is impeccable.
Rob

Post by Rob »

Like my predecessor Robdot I've become addicted to garage saling to find empty gas cans, Live Laugh Love signs and rare Eurodance compilations, but I occasionally find something actually good. A few things people in this thread might appreciate:

100 or so records for less than $50. The guy was stationed in Korea at some point and bought a bunch of rock and metal records, so many of these are Oasis Records/Korean pressings (see alternate Houses of the Holy cover). Who wouldn't want to own a Blizzard of Ozz that was deliberated on by the K.E.C.P.P.? The records are almost all pristine too. A lot of Deep Purple, Scorpions, Whitesnake, Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, Rainbow, Neil Young. Easily one of my best finds of the year.

250 or so CDs for $100. Multiply above pic by about 10. I consider myself to be a pretty big music nerd, but was not familiar with almost all of these. I like some 70s hard rock/metal, NWOBHM, thrash, death metal, etc. but the glam/hair metal/Christian metal is not my forte. This guy clearly loved all of that stuff and there are some signed CDs in there. Also picked up Asphyx's The Rack (top 5 death metal album for me - I see Pestilence mentioned above) which was an odd one to find in that lot. A few things I've dug so far:

Badlands - s/t & Voodoo Highway ("Winter's Call", "Seasons" - Zeppelin fans should appreciate)
Shotgun Messiah - Second Coming ("You & Me")
Warrior Soul - Salutations From the Ghetto Nation ("Love Destruction")
Warrior's "Who Sane" (hilarious lyrics)

My favorite metal thing of the year has been discovering a love for Pantera. For some reason I had it in my sick mind that they were not good. Cowboys From Hell, Vulgar Display of Power... damn. I love hearing the 80s metal-isms combined with the obsessively gruff style they'd fully settle into by Far Beyond Driven. So many good tracks.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Beautiful vinyl haul! :o Stained Class, Rising, Machine Head, Holy Diver, Blizzard... that'd be my Sunday afternoon sorted out right there. Image
Rob wrote:Like my predecessor Robdot
:lol: I hope he's doing ok out there, suddenly feels like it's been a while.
Pantera
Trendkill still my favourite MAD ENUFF 2 LIFT LP. Image Image :cool:

Super lovable bros, RIP Dime & Vinnie. :sad: That's four super solid records between Cowboys, Vulgar, Driven and Trendkill... I'd drifted away by Reinventing The Steel, and never could quite muster the enthusiasm, and then they broke up and tragedy ensued. I should blast it while doing something else just in case they went out on a high note.
Air Master Burst

Reinventing the Steel is pretty bad, you could tell they were getting sick of each other after 2 decades.

Pantera's glam metal album covers are absolutely hilarious, to the point that Pantera refused to acknowledge their existence for many years.

ETA: the official Pantera site is STILL trying to pretend Cowboys From Hell was their first album.
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

it might as well be. When that album came out, I remember it being like a brand new band appearing and there was a general consensus that nothing before that was worth checking out. I liked Vulgar Display of Power better at the time, but it's been awhile I think I'll revisit Cowboys.
null1024

Post by null1024 »

Even though I think Pantera's Power Metal album is really good... pre-Cowboys from Hell Pantera really might as well just been an entirely different band. Nothing carried forward. Not a damn thing.
The rest of their older discography is okay if I'm honest, but I can totally see why they'd just act like their older albums don't exist.

As for Power Metal... it feels unreasonably weird hearing a song full of FM keyboard stabs and breathy vocals next to one that could have totally been on a Metallica album, it's great.
Power Metal feels it was made by a band that was on the edge of becoming something else, but not necessarily the band they ended up becoming.
Come check out my website, I guess. Random stuff I've worked on over the last two decades.
MOSQUITO FIGHTER

Post by MOSQUITO FIGHTER »

Man I haven’t really listened to Pantera since junior high. I had a friend who was really into their albums but I wasn’t too crazy about them back then. I only had a really worn out cassette of Southern Trendkill. White Zombie was more my thing at the time. I think Pantera is way better than White Zombie now.

Haven’t really heard much about Pantera since other than everyone trying to posthumously cancel Dime because he was always playing guitars with the stars and bars.

I think it’s ridiculous that they are so embarrassed by their early albums and take them out of their catalog. I mean they’re pretty solid albums I don’t see why they’re so embarrassed about it.
Air Master Burst

I mean, the stupid confederate shit is part of why I couldn't really get into Pantera much even back in the 90s; they were never exactly subtle about it. They did an entire album with David Allan Coe, which is a pretty good indication of the kind of dudes they are.