HARD ROCK SOLDIER x HEAVY METAL KILLER: Rawk Thread

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
CStarFlare

Re: HARD ROCK SOLDIER x HEAVY METAL KILLER: Rawk Thread

Post by CStarFlare »

The inner fold of the record sleeve does admit "great help from Waldemar, Siggi Bemm" (both credited as engineers, with Waldemar also as producer as you said). The notes are also unintentionally funny, as they have somehow randomly moved the last few characters of a few lines to the front of the line. For example:

"The thing I remember most from the recording of Wildhoney is how relaxed
.94' the atmosphere was, and how hot it was in Germany that summer of"

Unsure if the short notes are included in previous editions or if they're messed up in a similar fashion. It's very odd because I can't figure out a pattern so while I think it's a goof, I'm not really sure how it could have happened unless they were trying to cut and paste text onto different lines and occasionally failing spectacularly. Regardless, the most interesting thing about the text is that that Edlund says Visionaire is about Satanism - I had never made that connection.
Restart Syndrome::
Shmup leaderboards and Video Index! | My score history on RS
Obiwanshinobi

Post by Obiwanshinobi »

Herr Schatten wrote:Waldemar Sorychta
I remember the name all too well from the days when he was leading(?) Grip Inc. - a band where no-one else but the very Dave Lombardo of Slayer fame was drumming. We're talking Slayer here, after all. Noblesse oblige. Those were the days.
The rear gate is closed down
The way out is cut off

BIL

Post by BIL »

MILLION TIMES GALEFORCE TEN

You know when you give a superunknown (2 U :oops:) album a go, entirely on its sleeve art? :cool: Can't quite replace the gambling thrill of doing so IRL/BITD, but it's still nice when it works out. Because holy fuck, this cover was MADE 4 ME Image

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cm36h3VpbZE

An unexpected gem. Preposterously catchy power metal, driven by pummelling quasi-thrash. While I'm more into the latter ethos, there's no denying the innocent fun of these choruses. Beyond the stomping tales of extreme firepower and dimension-diving valour - LIKE A HAWK IN THE SKY / WE CAN WATCH YA! - a few are genuinely arresting. The haunting interludes of album highlight LOCKED OUT, the forlorn coda of closer Killing Fields - a credibly solemn antiwar record steeped in metal joie de vivre. Fans of Vengeance/Defenders Priest and ST/Killers Maiden will dig the blistering shrieks and deftly labyrinthine gallops. While it doesn't quite match the best of those legendary outfits, it's easily recommendable in their orbit; door-kicking opener WARP SEVEN would do any of theirs proud.

I strongly recommend leaving it at the OG release's eight tracks. The final two - the wonderfully titled Wizard Force and Galactos - are good, but dilute the LP's compactly operatic punch. Typical bonus track syndrome.

I've a vast blind spot WRT German power metal - Herr Schatten, I guess these guys must be fairly well-known over there? I know Helloween and Gamma Ray by name, but hadn't even heard of Scanner. Apologies for a rather uninformed post. :mrgreen:

(DOOMy visual aside, the album's storyline is also suspiciously 1:1 to Masaya's later Assault Suit Leynos for Mega Drive... :lol: I know this record definitely got a Japanese release, at some point. I wonder if it was any inspiration? certainly a badass yarn tailor-made for XTREEM heavy mecha carnage. OFC there might be some common source, in the best traditions of 80s scifi-adjacent works)
Last edited by BIL on Sun Aug 15, 2021 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

that rips. good teutonic shit. totally new to me.

it's very similar to Destruction's Infernal Overkill, which I assume you must know, but it's a bit more power-metal ala tinges of pop metal but by no means too far down that road.

i'm going to buy a copy. thanks for the tip

scratch that. i bought it on cassette. psyched
Last edited by vol.2 on Sun Aug 15, 2021 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Ah, Destruction - another name I know and should've checked out long ago. It's the same for me with the iconic Teutonic thrashers - I know Sodom well, but never got around to Kreator. Internet makes it easy, but also tricky to focus on one band/genre. :mrgreen: Thanks for the reminder!
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

aaaaah. yeah man. if you just got down to that Scanner album, no better way to follow it up:

Herr Schatten

Post by Herr Schatten »

BIL wrote:I've a vast blind spot WRT German power metal - Herr Schatten, I guess these guys must be fairly well-known over there? I know Helloween and Gamma Ray by name, but hadn't even heard of Scanner. Apologies for a rather uninformed post. :mrgreen:
Calling them well known is a bit much. It's more that anyone who was interested the genre was kind of aware of their existence, although I've never met anyone who was really into them. In my head I've always grouped them with similar lesser-known acts like Pyracanda or Grinder, even though those two are much more thrash-y, and Heaven's Gate or Chroming Rose, who are more on the power metal side of things. I used to like Scanner's third album Mental Reservation when it came out, but apparently not enough to seek out their earlier works. In comparison, I actually like Hyper Trace much better due to its roughness.

For anyone into this particular style, I can recommend a band almost no one knows about, which is a shame: Liar
Sadly, they only ever released two albums, Nothing but the Truth and Cheatin Games (which I couldn't find on YT). Do check them out!

Regarding German power metal in general, with Helloween and Gamma Ray you already have two big names covered, add to that Blind Guardian and Rage, and maybe Edguy. Plus Running Wild, if you're in their target audience of adolescent boys. It's debatable if RW really fit the power metal bill, though, they're really more of a NWOBHM outfit. If you'd like to fill your blind spot, but find the vast catalogues of the aforementioned bands intimidating, I can point you to good places to start. Just ask for it.

BIL wrote:It's the same for me with the iconic Teutonic thrashers - I know Sodom well, but never got around to Kreator.
That's something you should rectify asap. Of the 4 iconic thrashers, Kreator are by far the ones whose output is most consistently of very high quality. As a starting point I would recommend Coma of Souls from 1990, although you also can't go wrong with its predecessor Extreme Aggression or either of their two most recent albums Phantom Antichrist and Gods of Violence. Don't sleep on the albums from their 'experimental' phase, though. Renewal and Outcast are oddballs in the band's discography, but utterly excellent albums in their own right.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Ta buds Image That's the rest of the month sorted out!
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

Kreator rips. Thrash + screechy vocals =win.

Extreme Aggression might be my fave but they have many good records.
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
Obiwanshinobi

Post by Obiwanshinobi »

I guess it's only a matter of time, until Annihilator comes into discussion. Alice in Hell - great cover, not so great vocals. Never, Neverland - I don't actually know, yet! Well, I do, really, know, a bit, but it's been a while.
The way out is cut off

vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

Arrived
BIL

Post by BIL »

Beauty. :cool: Looks even more like a Famicom game in cassette format. :mrgreen:

---

Whoa! Had no idea this was even in the works.

Pretty decent sleeve art, too. As usual, no match for the luxuriance of Derek Riggs, but unlike The Book of Souls' milquetoast Aztec cosplay, this at least offsets the flat black BG.

I don't really keep up with them nowadays, finding their first two LPs entirely satisfying in isolation - but it's always made me happy to see them do so well this millennium, and I've enjoyed the vast majority of said output, even if I get my fill pretty quick. "Lord of Light" from AMOLAD, "The Talisman" from Final Frontier, and "The Great Unknown" off Book of Souls all have that same balance of filmic exhilariation and hooky leads that drew me to Bruce's first run as a kid.

Unlike their elders in Sabbath and KISS, they never had a nostalgia phase, something I've come to respect a lot. I remember early 00s messageboards full of bitter old bastards slagging off all the new kids, and just thinking it was a miracle to see people give a shit about Maiden again. :lol: Having gotten into them post X Factor, pre-Virtual XI, the live albums and concert films of packed-out US and UK tours seemed more fanciful than anything in the songs themselves.
Herr Schatten

Post by Herr Schatten »

I gave it a quick listen yesterday, but I was a bit disappointed. Much like with newer Blind Guardian albums I can't put a finger on anything that's really wrong with Senjutsu, it just leaves me cold. There are some really nice bits and pieces scattered over the course of the album, but the songs, which I feel have a tendency to be overly long, lack that certain balance of depth, catchiness and epic guitar work Maiden were able to churn out with ease during their run of timeless classics from Number of the Beast to Seventh Son. Plus it's quite audible that Bruce's voice isn't really in the best of shapes anymore, even though it's nowhere near as painful as listening to Halford these days.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Halford's in a hard spot Image The post-reformation stuff that's tailored to his naturally lower register sounds great - I love Firepower - but yeah, I just forget the recent tapings of signature incendiaries like "Freewheel Burning" exist. Mortals age, their legends don't.

Speaking of, tackled Disc 1 of Senjutsu this lazy afternoon. Fucking hell - not only did it sneak up on me, but it's a double album too. I guess it figures, with the extended break and associated travails. I see the second disc is almost entirely Harris, which is why I'm calling it a night for now (that and it getting a bit late for blasting loud).

Fondly unsurprising. Twists and turns through modes that've become solidly familiar over the fifteen years post-AMOLAD. Harris's dimly-lit, atmospherically chain-clanked brooding was always in Maiden's palette ("Killers," "Rime," "Seventh Son"), creeping to the fore on the personally and professionally troubled X Factor. It's never offended me at all - I'm not an X-Factor apologist, but I did and do love a handful of its more harrowed tracks - "Sign of the Cross," "Blood On The World's Hands" and "The Edge of Darkness" to be precise. It's been kinda funny, hearing that LP's dim light resurge at a time of unprecedented success and adoration.

Here I stand with the knife in my hands
And now I understand
Why the genius must die

But along with the prog leanings of AMOLAD onward, it's a sea change from not just the razor-sleek metal of ST/Killers - records I spin through as easily as prime Ramones or Misfits or Motorhead - but also the detonating lift of their later 80s work ("Caught Somewhere In Time" remains my golden ratio of distance/velocity). Even the spriteliest post-AMOLAD tracks tend to be bulkier middleweights by the old standard. So I know to adjust expectations.

All this said, I was still surprised at how oppressively heavy (by Maiden standard) the eponymous opener is. After a nonplussed first listen, I really like it - my favourite of disc one's brace of six. Awesomely foreboding and picturesque, with just the right balance of bravado to cornered fury.

Hold our fortune
Avenge the merciful
Hold the great wall
Never fall again
Arrows falling
Dark oblivion
Live in spirit
Live to tell our sons

"Stratego" and "The Writing On The Wall" are likeable trots, catchily downbeat. Unsurprised to hear they're both singles. As a HARD GAMER who always thought Maiden's aesthetic akin to the most preposterous ninja/commando/spaceship antics, I can't help loving the return of Somewhere In Time and Seventh Son's sparkly synths. :cool: They've always fit Maiden's innate melodic bent to a T. "Lost In A Lost World" has X-Factor's gloomy pummelings written all over it, and a familiar despairing bent that seems to have found some acceptance. Immediately recalled BNW's sentimentally fatalistic "Blood Brothers" at some of its passages.

I'm not all that interested by "Days of Future Past." It's an alright breather, as "The Pilgrim" and "The Alchemist" were before it. "The Time Machine" was the most interesting track of Side 1. It's apparent where older tunes have reduxed - bit of "The Talisman" here, "Dance of Death" there - but I can't fault the arrangement.

Typing all that, I'm reminded of my fond regard for The Chemical Wedding and its prelude Accident of Birth. My clear favourites of the extended Maiden camp post-80s... it was never, ever going to happen, but I'd love to have seen Bruce and Adrian return with Roy Z in tow. Going by those records, the guy seemed to be the catalyst an older, jaded Maiden needed. Catchier at their catchiest and doomier at their doomiest than most anything post-BNW. This Alchemist never leaves my memory.

Your hollow lives
This world in which we live
I hurl it back!
Last edited by BIL on Mon Sep 13, 2021 7:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Randorama

Post by Randorama »

Maybe it's just me, but the impression I have of Senjutsu is that the songs were recorded live, and each band member was slightly off the pace/tempo because, you know, age catches up with everyone (and HM is a genre for the 20-something axe-warriors, honestly).

Of course, you could say that with a bit of wise (post-)production and mixing, such problems could be removed, and the songs could have been tighter ("experience always trumps the power of youth", Lenny used to say). Maybe the guys do want to sound their age, or something else, and definitely the album treads familiar territory.

If somebody can point out that other bands/people have handled aging with class, I am all ears. But after listening to this and watching Maiden in 2017 (Gothenburg, Opeth as a support band!), I feel that years (and beers/fags...?) have taken their toll (...and the lack of an actual producer, c'mon).
Chomsky, Buckminster Fuller, Yunus and Glass would have played Battle Garegga, for sure.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Herr Schatten wrote:For anyone into this particular style, I can recommend a band almost no one knows about, which is a shame: Liar
Sadly, they only ever released two albums, Nothing but the Truth and Cheatin Games (which I couldn't find on YT). Do check them out!
Shamefully late, but I wonder if these guys were referenced in IREM's inimitably metal-as-fuck (and sadly, authentically booze-addled, if the bugs are anything to go by...) action/platformer Holy Diver.

I'd assumed the game's signature Sine Wave Pest™ was referencing the Megadeth song, but given MAD_BUTCHER is in there... :lol: Nothing But The Truth is good stuff, gonna blast it proper on the morrow. :o
DenimDemon

Post by DenimDemon »

Too much theoretical discussion about Senjutsu everywhere. Its simply a fantastic album. I find it really great. Its not their best, but who's expecting better than their golden period? For the record my favorite its still the first...
Netherless it definitely was a big, good surprise for me. Here i was with my friends, joking about how bad their upcoming new album would be... Ended up buying it after one listen on stream.
In this time of shuffle shit this guys release, what sounds to me, like a pretty well tought out album.

Holding on to my Maiden tickets for the last 2 years. Hopefully they will get their tour going next year. Looking forward to hear some of this bangers (Hell on Earth!), live, drunk and with my kids.

Sent from my EML-L29 using Tapatalk
BIL

Post by BIL »

"Hell On Earth" is easily my favourite of Disc 2 at this early point. Expertly-paced catharsis. Most of the post-reunion LPs have had notably strong finishes, imo - "The Legacy," "When The Wild Wind Blows," and while it's understandably not everyone's cup of tea, I thought "Empire of the Clouds" was a magnificent closer, and a manful effort from Dickinson.

Dreams live on!

The rest are what I expected, tbh: post X-Factor Harris clanking, gloaming and tri-lead stomping at moderate pace, with the occasional melodic reprieve here and there. Way too early to judge but I'd give it an aight/five for now.

In the interests of Totes Hard Science, the ratings scale of your friend Dr. Biruford Image

5 / superlative / FUCKING DO IT MORE (■`W´■)
4 / excellent / Hey that's pretty good!
3 / good / its aight imma put it on while I play muh VG
2 / mediocre / zzzzzz *snort* oh FUCK! I've rolled over onto me pasty! (◎w◎)
1 / GET THIS SHIT OUTTA MY FACE :O / JUS KILL ME NAO
Last edited by BIL on Mon Sep 13, 2021 7:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Randorama

Post by Randorama »

Dr. Birruforudo:

the rendition of Empire of the Clouds at the end of the Gothenburg concert was majestic, to say the least. The song (well, suite) lends itself to majestic renditions, being inherently majestic.

Possibly my favourite song of theirs after the golden period (yes, even more than Brave New World and Wicker Man). Then again, I grew up with a progressive rock male parent and a classical music male grandparent: anything shorter than 10 minutes is for the casuals, dammit!.

Re: Theoretical discussions or "WhooO! Wayne's World! Wayne's World!"? (and converse shoes, pointlessly long hair, leggings, etc.) in your 40's, with a mortgage and kids? How to approach life, music, and the passing of time?

...I am actually not disappointed because I was wondering if they were to ever going to release this (I heard about the album in 2018, go figure), and aside the "Dude, we're not kids anymore" aspects I mentioned, it's a double album and it treads familiar territory with wisdom (i.e. new songs in familiar styles: I am on board, yes).

There's been a few works by a few people that I follow and who are not kids anymore being released this year (musicians, writers, even scientists...).

The attitude I am mentioning does appear in all of these works, so I can see a pattern...fair enough, let's see what I will do in my 60's and if it will be as sharp as ever.

If they resume touring and they hit Beijing or Shanghai, I am going and I am getting my "Fear of the Dark" gilet shipped from Italy (....kidding, kidding).

I will bring waifu, pet-tachi and students pestering me with "professor! Have you heard the new Maiden album?!" (because laowai professors=metal fans and JoJo experts, of course!).
Chomsky, Buckminster Fuller, Yunus and Glass would have played Battle Garegga, for sure.
Herr Schatten

Post by Herr Schatten »

All this talk of Iron Maiden and associated acts made me remember and then instantly re-buy the Murder One album by Killers, featuring none other than Paul Di'Anno on vocal duties. I used to have this on cassette, but the tape is long gone, and I wouldn't have a device to play it on anymore anyway.

To be frank, I've never been a huge fan of Paul's vocal performances while he was still at Iron Maiden and, subsequently, of the two albums he's appeared on. Murder One, however, is an all around excellent record, and Paul's voice just fits perfectly. Surprisingly, the album channels Priest rather than Maiden. If the band hadn't padded the album's run length with no less than two cover songs (a rather tame version of T-Rex's Children of the Revolution and a completely unnecessary remake of Remember Tomorrow), I wouldn't hesitate to put the album in the genre's top tier alongside the likes of Painkiller, as the original songs are really strong.

Unfortunately, the album stayed a one-off, as the band decided to change their musical style completely for the follow-up, embarrassingly sounding like a poor man's Pantera and failing spectacularly at even remotely matching the quality of the debut.

@BIL: Re: Liar
In the late eighties, early nineties, there was some sort of weird craze about German Metal in Japan, apparently, so there actually existed a couple of German bands who made their living almost exclusively in the japanese market while being virtually unknown in their home country.

Given this context, your theory is a good one, but since Holy Diver was released in April 1989 and Nothing But The Truth came out in October of the same year, I think it's unlikely.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Randorama wrote:I will bring waifu, pet-tachi and students pestering me with "professor! Have you heard the new Maiden album?!" (because laowai professors=metal fans and JoJo experts, of course!).
:mrgreen:
Herr Schatten wrote:To be frank, I've never been a huge fan of Paul's vocal performances while he was still at Iron Maiden and, subsequently, of the two albums he's appeared on. Murder One, however, is an all around excellent record, and Paul's voice just fits perfectly. Surprisingly, the album channels Priest rather than Maiden. If the band hadn't padded the album's run length with no less than two cover songs (a rather tame version of T-Rex's Children of the Revolution and a completely unnecessary remake of Remember Tomorrow), I wouldn't hesitate to put the album in the genre's top tier alongside the likes of Painkiller, as the original songs are really strong.

Unfortunately, the album stayed a one-off, as the band decided to change their musical style completely for the follow-up, embarrassingly sounding like a poor man's Pantera and failing spectacularly at even remotely matching the quality of the debut.
Fuck me this is good :shock: IMPALER and THE BEAST ARISES a Priestly one-two knockout. Imperiously battering chrome-spiked power.

Not even gonna bother with the covers - I know from bitter experience with We Are Motorhead, a dishwater "God Save The Queen" dulling a sleek razor disc - chop that shit off the playlist pronto!

EDIT: A treat through and through. Skipped the T-Rex, let "Remember Tomorrow" play for old times' sake, and yeah - chop 'em. Fans of Painkiller's mirror-polished juggernaut sound should jump in without hesitation.

...Painkiller is one hell of a swan song, isn't it? A universally recognised symbol of high-calibre excellence, from a band who'd begun faltering on prior releases, and would disappear for a decade after.

Di'anno has always seemed like the kind of talent in dire need of "parental supervision," haha. Not very metal, but it might save your fuckin career! Seemed to get haplessly shunted through NWOBHM "supergroups" at such pace, even a diehard IM kid like me could never keep track (growing up pre-internet and far outside of US/EU distro channels didn't help there). I seem to recall his late 80s Battlezone outfit getting positive reviews, too, but it's been forever. This one fucking rips, at least.
Herr Schatten

Post by Herr Schatten »

Blazon Stone: Damnation
Conceptually, the band is a blatant homage to Running Wild, but fortunately, Blazon Stone are more than just mere copycats. You can feel genuine affection in the way they approach their inspiration, even though they aren't above poking a bit of fun at it here and there. It's amazing how closely Blazon Stone match the best phase of the originals' career both in sound and quality. Whilst RW's own releases from 1995 onwards have ranged from poor to embarrassing, Damnation is a damn fine album and I'm having an unreasonable amount of fun listening to it.
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

Herr Schatten wrote: Conceptually, the band is a blatant homage to Running Wild
You're not kidding. It's straight out of their vintage pirate years. One big difference is that it's super clean, and their is a lot of space between the instruments in the mix.

I actually prefer Gates of Purgatory when they sounded more like Destruction and other classic Teutonic metal.
FRO

Post by FRO »

vol.2 wrote:Besides, the cover art for the DAW paperbacks is just so unbelievably awesome and nostalgic for me that I can't help loving it.
Not to mention this was the basis for the cover of the 4th Cirith Ungol album, "Paradise Lost" from 1991:

Cirith Ungol is another highly underrated band. When they did reissues of their 1st 3 albums, I ordered those bad boys on vinyl quickly. I haven't bought the new album yet, though it's solid.

I haven't checked the Off Topic forum in forever, so I didn't realize there were so many a metalhead here on the forum still! Cool to see some lively discussion, and a few suggestions for stuff to check out. I'll just take the opportunity to completely shill my favorite band, Japan's Onmyouza:

They come from the Iron Maiden/Judas Priest school of classic heavy metal, but generally heavier, often faster, and at times more atmospheric, particularly on the stuff they've done over the past decade. When they started, they kind of rode that line between trad metal and power/thrash, but over time, have expanded their sound to include some light symphonic elements (including a touring keyboardist), and also including a lot of melodicism in their approach. The dual-vocal attack of Kuroneko and Matatabi provides a lot of variety, and when you add additional growled vocals sometimes from Maneki and Karukan, it further opens up their sound. I discovered them in the mid-late 2000's, and fell in love with their sound pretty quickly. I ended up buying 5 of their albums and a live DVD all at once, then later adding 2 earlier releases, and then sort of trying to keep up with stuff as they've released it, to some success. I also bought their full album boxset a couple years back. For a long while, my favorite album of theirs was "Mugen Houyou" but some time after "Kishi Boujin" came out, that quickly climbed up to the top spot. I don't think they've made a clunker of an album.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNr5DqfirLU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFg5ZH5i6Eo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRA3NlpW0-M
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r1JfEK21_H0
MOSQUITO FIGHTER

Post by MOSQUITO FIGHTER »

Cool topic. Here’s my metal YouTube playlist I made a while back. Probably has some rarities on there.

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLgnU ... A9ZRNSNWuj
Randorama

Post by Randorama »

FRO wrote:
vol.2 wrote:Besides, the cover art for the DAW paperbacks is just so unbelievably awesome and nostalgic for me that I can't help loving it.
Not to mention this was the basis for the cover of the 4th Cirith Ungol album, "Paradise Lost" from 1991:
Sailing to the Seas of Fate? It would be too easy to google it up, but I am sure that my memory is still good.
Obiwanshinobi

Post by Obiwanshinobi »

I must recomend The Cult 1994 album by The Cult ensemble here. Left much of the supposed target audience cold at the time, but it is a very good album after all, superbly produced as well.

The way out is cut off

FRO

Post by FRO »

MOSQUITO FIGHTER wrote:Cool topic. Here’s my metal YouTube playlist I made a while back. Probably has some rarities on there.

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLgnU ... A9ZRNSNWuj
Definitely some bands in there I'm unfamiliar with, but the 3rd track is Testament's "Souls of Black" video...
Herr Schatten

Post by Herr Schatten »

I'm currently enjoying Resurrection Day, the new album by Rage.

To be honest, I was only vaguely aware of what the band has been up to in recent years. I used to be a huge fan during the 1990s, when they released a string of consistently excellent albums, peaking in 1992's Trapped!, which still stands as a flawless metal masterpiece. However, the more progressive, more classical-inspired direction they went in with Victor Smolski did nothing for me, and neither did the thrashier, less melodic style they adopted after Smolki's departure.

Resurrection Day, though, actually feels like a kind of resurrection. Most of the catchiness of their golden years is back, and it's masterfully re-integrated into the heavier sound of the last few albums. The only thing that keeps the new release from achieving true greatness is the fact that Peavy's voice is undeniably past its prime and sounds thoroughly ruined. The new material takes this into account, and it actually works quite well, but one can only imagine what 1995's Peavy would have made of it.
MOSQUITO FIGHTER

Post by MOSQUITO FIGHTER »

Vader popped up on my Spotify the other day. Sounded awesome to me. Dust and bones!

https://youtu.be/KxOvAqF6iqo