HARD ROCK SOLDIER x HEAVY METAL KILLER: Rawk Thread

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
BIL

Re: HARD ROCK SOLDIER x HEAVY METAL KILLER: Rawk Thread

Post by BIL »

Enjoying a Joey Diaz podcast when I was reminded of dude's good taste in his balls-hard British rock. Image

Zep II, Bloody Sabbath and High/Dry. You can tell dudes know what's up when they'll rep HnD loud and proud. Forget the sugary pop/rock shite Lep became known for later on - this thing is fuckin dynamite. End to end, not a single lapse to the diamond-hard Purp/DC via NWOBHM. (go with the OG tracklist that ends in "No No No" - some reissues suffer from bonus track padding. decent enough material, but inevitably diluting of the pitch-perfect ten track sledgehammer)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bw-TRWMCHr8

(I actually like Pyromania a lot - some decent rock and metal in there, and both the writing and production is admirably polished - and even Hysteria isn't offensive, just categorically inferior. still, neither has anything to do with the raucous yet immaculately crisp hard rock perfected here)
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

Mötley Crüe, Too Fast For Love

One of my all time favorite heavy metal albums. High energy chugging and tastefully discriminating use of cow bells; pop heavy metal peaked with this album.

MOSQUITO FIGHTER

Post by MOSQUITO FIGHTER »

Just found out about Saxon. This has got to be some of the best down and dirty rock I’ve heard. Monster riffs for days.
BIL

Post by BIL »

vol.2 wrote:Mötley Crüe, Too Fast For Love

One of my all time favorite heavy metal albums. High energy chugging and tastefully discriminating use of cow bells; pop heavy metal peaked with this album.
Damn good. Image I don't know Crue beyond their most obvious 80s radio stuff, which I always regarded as agreeable LA glam (in a couple cases, "Kickstart My Heart" and "Dr. Feelgood," excellent LA glam - gotta respect a good hook). I'm actually more familiar with Nikki Sixx's solo work, read tons of interviews with him and John Corabi in the mid-90s.

Had no idea about this way punkier sound, though. Raw and catchy, but not in a stripped-down pop-punk Ramones way... on the contrary, I was surprised at how 70s English glam-influenced it sounds, at first - before remembering Nikki Sixx is a huge fan of that scene. Sounds very Sweet/T-Rex, sometimes even Mott The Hoople / Bowie (Public Enemy #1, Starry Eyes, Merry-go-Round and On With The Show - the latter's lyrics are very All The Young Dudes, good bittersweet stuff). Even got a Beatlesy three-part harmony on Toast of the Town, a good one at that!

Mick Mars is an underrated force. Those melancholic shading chords in "Live Wire" and "Starry Eyes" give me that same quasi-shmupping STG vibe as High n' Dry's more intense numbers, haha. Combat rockin'. Image Dudes on a mission to get laid. :lol: "Take Me To The Top" has some wrecking ball riffing... love the power-shifting gear changes and bruising harmonics.

Which mastering do you prefer? I went straight for the Leathur mix - just been my experience with similarly punky startups like Megadeth, Celtic Frost and Venom that the muddier, grittier mixes do better.

Cheers for another great rec bud, you've got a nose for killer hard rock. :cool:
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

BIL wrote: Had no idea about this way punkier sound, though. Raw and catchy, but not in a stripped-down pop-punk Ramones way... on the contrary, I was surprised at how 70s English glam-influenced it sounds, at first - before remembering Nikki Sixx is a huge fan of that scene. Sounds very Sweet/T-Rex, sometimes even Mott The Hoople / Bowie
For sure. If I had to point my finger at one of those, it would clearly be Sweet ala Desolation Boulevard. But without any of the nostalgia and innocence that permeated those truly 70s glam outfits. The stripped-downedness is not just instrumental, it's categorical. The empty space is filled with the ennui and sickness of the 80s. I get the same feeling watching the Return of the Living Dead in some ways.
Mick Mars is an underrated force. Those melancholic shading chords in "Live Wire" and "Starry Eyes" give me that same quasi-shmupping STG vibe as High n' Dry's more intense numbers, haha. Combat rockin'. Image Dudes on a mission to get laid. :lol: "Take Me To The Top" has some wrecking ball riffing... love the power-shifting gear changes and bruising harmonics.
Only because Tommy is such an amazing drummer that easily outshines the rest of the band. I think that was their greatest strength and also proved to be their achilleas heel. But every member of Crue is excellent.
Which mastering do you prefer? I went straight for the Leathur mix - just been my experience with similarly punky startups like Megadeth, Celtic Frost and Venom that the muddier, grittier mixes do better.
I prefer the Electra mix because I have been listening to it for so long. It's not really an aesthetic choice for me as this album is so engrained in my brain that I cannot disconnect the wiring. I agree though, if I sat down and did a cold listen to both mixes, I would most likely go for the grit.
Cheers for another great rec bud, you've got a nose for killer hard rock. :cool:
8) Absolutely. Your rec's are always amazing and I'm happy I could share a thing you hadn't yet stumbled upon. I did a pretty hard detour back into metal recently, so any good finds would be welcome.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Beholder (featuring our own FinalBaton)'s new record Arcane Subreptice is out now. :cool: Blistered-black thrash ala To Mega Therion, exuding the classic mastery of savage horsepower and crushing doom in a wickedly aerodynamic MotorVenom package. If you dig any of those guys' iconic works, you'll want to blast this one end-to-end. Their Ancien Monde EP is killer, too. Image
Herr Schatten

Post by Herr Schatten »

I'm in a bit of a power metal mood lately. After the surprisingly excellent new Rage album, my latest discovery is the icelandic band Power Paladin and their debut With the Magic of Windfyre Steel.

At first I thought that it was a parody outfit, but apparently it's just a bunch of guys unironically playing metal like it's 1988. Granted, it's nothing you haven't heard before, but the enthusiasm is palpable and, thankfully, they never try to sound 'retro' or something. Bonus points for sneaking the Zelda overworld theme into the solo of Righteous Fury.
MOSQUITO FIGHTER

Checking out Savatage. Seems really decent so far. I’d imagine that King Diamond fans would like this band also.
Lord British

Post by Lord British »

Great thread!

I think I shared a link to my band once on some other thread (a while back), but I'll shamelessly add it again here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cu4FPeenyTU

Kind of mid-80's Metal Blade meets NWOBHM
BIL

Post by BIL »

Cool, will blast loud tomorrow! (late here, can't hope to do justice to anything ROCKIN) We've got quite the crop of home-grown rockers, it seems. Figures, with STGs and killer BGM being synonymous. :mrgreen:
Lord British

Post by Lord British »

BIL wrote:Cool, will blast loud tomorrow! (late here, can't hope to do justice to anything ROCKIN) We've got quite the crop of home-grown rockers, it seems. Figures, with STGs and killer BGM being synonymous. :mrgreen:
Plus I named the band after a shmup so...lol
MOSQUITO FIGHTER

Hooded Menace - The Tritonus Bell

Awesome album. Sounds really fresh. Really impressed me with how they switch metal styles then speed up and slowdown. Lots of variety here.
null1024

Post by null1024 »

been playing a few albums a lot this week

Power Infusion by Trance is a total treat.
Absolutely tries to hammer your face in with early 80s metal sound and although some parts sound a bit strained [really, even a song with lighter bits like Children of Illusion really sounds like they want to just let it rip the whole time through and because it's trying to take it easier, they can't], it's still brilliant.

Keeper of the Seven Keys part 1 by Helloween is ridiculously good.
My single real issue is that some of the lyrics are really baffling. REALLY baffling. Still, Halloween is an absolute stunner of a track, and even some of the goofier tunes like Future World are total fun to listen to. Had this one blasting in the car coming down the highway tonight, haha.

We Stand to Fight by Virtue is another wild album.
Singing Swords is my favorite song. A few bits are a bit less well done than they could be [a few of the vocal bits sound a bit discordant in a bad way], but that seems to be more due to them being a somewhat short-lived act when it came to studio releases.

also, not something I've put on as much lately, but still deserves a mention
Medieval Steel is a wonderful band.

Now their souls are crying ouuuuut,
With vengeance from the grave.
You have won the battle...
But you are never safe-
From the warlords of the niiiiiiiiight!

gets me every time
Come check out my website, I guess. Random stuff I've worked on over the last two decades.
BIL

Post by BIL »

That clinches it, gonna have to finally give Helloween a go this weekend. It's ridiculous, the lengths I'll go to, procrastinating on stuff I actually want to do... took me a goddamn decade to try out Anthem. :mrgreen:

In other news, holy motherfuckin moly! :shock:

Cut down those bastards
Cut down all that's in my path...

Lord British wrote:Great thread!

I think I shared a link to my band once on some other thread (a while back), but I'll shamelessly add it again here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cu4FPeenyTU

Kind of mid-80's Metal Blade meets NWOBHM
Dude this is outstanding. :o Absolute soaring fire. I'm glad I waited until I was home to give it a go, because I blasted it end to end three times consecutively and didn't stop headbanging once. Superb balance of barraging intensity to elegiacal hooks. Your singer was an excellent surprise, she absolutely commands these songs! Classy leads, too - as I get older, I've found myself valuing an emphasis on melody over spectacle. Moving On's troubled dual refrain and impassioned vocals drifting over that furious chainsaw riff is a gorgeous highlight. Excellent choice putting Still Alive right after, perfect spot for a melancholically soldiering cooldown.

Loved the seamless dips into hard rock mode (Hot Passion, Satan's Hallow) too, something I don't think Maiden ever really got the hang of. The range here reminds me of Defenders-era Priest, an easy mastery of scenic fantasy and feelgood barnburners. Title track's bluesy hop recalls Dio-era Rainbow, actually - shades of Starstruck and Run With The Wolf.

Helluva opening barrage to Beyond The Bells, as the record screams over the finish line in an artillery exchange worthy of Tipton and Downing, with lyrical largesse on par with the bleak grandeur of Heaven And Hell. Fiery intense yet razor-streamlined metal disc. Anyone even remotely into Killers Maiden or Defenders Priest should jump in without reservation.
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

My new album was just chosen by Bandcamp's metal writer as ''best metal of january'' shortlist. Pretty cool shoutout!

''At its best, black thrash can deliver the rich atmosphere and otherworldliness of black metal and the simpler pleasures of great thrash in one package. The debut album by the Quebecois band Beholder manages this feat handily. Arcane Subreptice is a blast of cold air from a newly unsealed coffin, terrifying and exhilarating all at once. It recalls the work of genre greats like Aura Noir and Nifelheim, particularly in the way it pairs a constant sense of forward momentum with an eerie, evil mood. Black thrash isn’t the easiest style to pull off, but Beholder already sound as adroit as old masters''

It's Bandcamp Friday and 100% of sales exceptionally go to the artist today, so it's a great time to support us and buy our album digitally on bandcamp (it's only $2). Hope you guys check it out! cheers!
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
BIL

Post by BIL »

Fuck yeah, warms me black heart to see your fine works acknowledged. :cool:
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

BIL wrote:That clinches it, gonna have to finally give Helloween a go this weekend.

I'm currently banging my head to Keeper of the Seven Keys. So sick. Almost a throw-back vibe for when this came out. Very full rhythm section and epic production, complete with catchy as fuck melodic guitar overtures.

BIL

Post by BIL »

Man that takes me back. Image Recoiling like a baby biting a lemon at Fight Fire With Fire, first of the small stack of Metallica, Venom and Death tapes picked up trawling Manchester's secondhand record shops as a kid visiting the UK. Still got all of those back home at my parents' place, haha.
Herr Schatten

Post by Herr Schatten »

vol.2 wrote:Very full rhythm section
Woefully underappreciated! Everyone praises Kiske's vocals and Hansen's / Weikath's guitar work, and rightfully so, but the fact that Markus Großkopf is an absolutely brilliant bass player with a very unique, almost Beatles-esque style that's very unusual in a metal context almost always falls by the wayside. (Of course, Schwichtenberg's drumming is also impeccable and harmonizes perfectly.)
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

Absolutely. This is 1987, and most metal albums were leaning thrash, lowering the bass in the mix and such. You can still hear the influence of Deep Purple in this stuff. It's like a 1983 metal album in some ways.
Lord British

Post by Lord British »

BIL wrote:
In other news, holy motherfuckin moly! :shock:

Cut down those bastards
Cut down all that's in my path...

Dude this is outstanding. :o Absolute soaring fire. I'm glad I waited until I was home to give it a go, because I blasted it end to end three times consecutively and didn't stop headbanging once. Superb balance of barraging intensity to elegiacal hooks. Your singer was an excellent surprise, she absolutely commands these songs! Classy leads, too - as I get older, I've found myself valuing an emphasis on melody over spectacle. Moving On's troubled dual refrain and impassioned vocals drifting over that furious chainsaw riff is a gorgeous highlight. Excellent choice putting Still Alive right after, perfect spot for a melancholically soldiering cooldown.

Loved the seamless dips into hard rock mode (Hot Passion, Satan's Hallow) too, something I don't think Maiden ever really got the hang of. The range here reminds me of Defenders-era Priest, an easy mastery of scenic fantasy and feelgood barnburners. Title track's bluesy hop recalls Dio-era Rainbow, actually - shades of Starstruck and Run With The Wolf.

Helluva opening barrage to Beyond The Bells, as the record screams over the finish line in an artillery exchange worthy of Tipton and Downing, with lyrical largesse on par with the bleak grandeur of Heaven And Hell. Fiery intense yet razor-streamlined metal disc. Anyone even remotely into Killers Maiden or Defenders Priest should jump in without reservation.
Wow, that's a legit full review right there! I very much appreciate you giving it a good listen and reviewing it. I wrote all the music and about 85% of the of the lyrics. Im the lesser skilled of the two lead guitar players, but I think I did well enough. The album was released in Germany at the Keep It True festival in 2017, which would be the bands last show. They used Beyond the Bells as the trailer for the previous festival's DVD which gave us some good exposure a couple months before the album was released.
https://youtu.be/GPAxvkwVcEw

*since we're on the topic of Halloween you can hear the obvious homage to them at the end of the solo part*

We were contacted by Karl Ulrich Walterbach (founder of NOISE records) to sign to SPV under the condition we change our name and lose weight lol. I just didn't feel like writing anymore so I nixed that. The remaining 4/5 of the band continued without me with Midnight Dice, and their first ep isnt bad! I'm eager to hear more from them. A bit less Maiden and more Priesty. https://youtu.be/m3Xn2RtGAFs
Lord British

Post by Lord British »

Walls of Jericho is my favorite Halloween album. Right up there with Agent Steel's Skeptics Apocalypse and Slayer's Show No Mercy for speed metal
DenimDemon

Post by DenimDemon »

vol.2 wrote:
BIL wrote:That clinches it, gonna have to finally give Helloween a go this weekend.

I'm currently banging my head to Keeper of the Seven Keys. So sick. Almost a throw-back vibe for when this came out. Very full rhythm section and epic production, complete with catchy as fuck melodic guitar overtures.

Part 2 is my favourite of them. Also the live in Uk album is really good.
Mykaizer

Post by Mykaizer »

I'll just drop this sucka here:
Spoiler
Diamond Head - Am I evil. Love this album cover art!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmgLP5j7pBw
kid aphex

Post by kid aphex »

I found a lot of good metal via this thread --- thanks everyone.
Steamflogger Boss

Post by Steamflogger Boss »

Some awesome new albums recently..

Allegaeon DAMNUM (melodic death?)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79pGsIxrNuc

Star One Revel in Time (Prog)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8D_y40nCJiE
BIL

Post by BIL »

kid aphex wrote:I found a lot of good metal via this thread --- thanks everyone.
Same same! Glad to hear!
Lord British wrote:Wow, that's a legit full review right there! I very much appreciate you giving it a good listen and reviewing it. I wrote all the music and about 85% of the of the lyrics.
LB, out of curiosity, is "The Horror" meant to follow on lyrically from the title track? Had to ask after blasting the record end to end like six times, while tearing apart Bloodborne tonight. Complements amazingly well, at least the way I replay BB, ie furied yet contemplative. :mrgreen:
Lord British

Post by Lord British »

BIL wrote:
kid aphex wrote:
LB, out of curiosity, is "The Horror" meant to follow on lyrically from the title track? Had to ask after blasting the record end to end like six times, while tearing apart Bloodborne tonight. Complements amazingly well, at least the way I replay BB, ie furied yet contemplative. :mrgreen:
Well, those two songs are actually our first single, written at the same time. The original concept for the band was to do something more horror-themed.

https://youtu.be/u3iHhjyLIA8

The Horror was the first song completed for the band, and unfortunately the single version sounds better than the album version for some reason. Our first singer Lidia brought some rough lyric ideas about Medusa, and after a couple smoke breaks I revised it and finished it and ta-dah we had our first complete song. The flip side of the single is "Satan's Hallow", which I tried to write something Mercyful Fate-ish, but musically everyone says it sounds like Rainbow's Starstruck. The name "Rebecca" was a reference to song by the band Ritual. I was obsessed with the album "Widow" around the time, and you can here a bit of that band in the song Still Alive as well.

https://youtu.be/x_PY5FWXdB8

So no, the two songs aren't connected story wise, but they both fit the theme of being scared out in the woods at night and that's the basic atmosphere I was going for. SH is about a search party for a missing girl from a small village who may or may not have become a witch.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Lord British wrote:The Horror was the first song completed for the band, and unfortunately the single version sounds better than the album version for some reason. Our first singer Lidia brought some rough lyric ideas about Medusa, and after a couple smoke breaks I revised it and finished it and ta-dah we had our first complete song.
The guitars have such a Tecno Soft sound to them, even moreso in the single version. Image Would do any Thunder Force proud. (Black Angel's another, the trackname also making me think of Hyper Duel :cool:)
The flip side of the single is "Satan's Hallow", which I tried to write something Mercyful Fate-ish, but musically everyone says it sounds like Rainbow's Starstruck. The name "Rebecca" was a reference to song by the band Ritual. I was obsessed with the album "Widow" around the time, and you can here a bit of that band in the song Still Alive as well.
Interesting - I instantly got a Starstruck vibe from the intro, but then Starstruck itself is quintessential blues-metal. At some level that bumpy, jaunty hop is simply genetic, the ol' Smokestack Lightnin's and Mannish Boys across the aisle from the classical records, a stack of Purple/Zep/Sabbath in the middle. :smile:

"There's no going back and your chance for return is unknown" <-- great line, on a record full of them.

"Still Alive" made me think of Anthem's "Blinded Pain," though only distantly, with the smouldering bass-lead downtempo, topped off by an unhurriedly stomping riff.
So no, the two songs aren't connected story wise, but they both fit the theme of being scared out in the woods at night and that's the basic atmosphere I was going for. SH is about a search party for a missing girl from a small village who may or may not have become a witch.
Thanks for the backstory! I was headcanoning The Horror as the search's dire end; ardent rescuers enduring a harsh trek to find a lost girl, who's disastrously revealed to be neither of those things anymore ("Still Alive" being a survivor's epilogue of sorts, a refusal to believe The Horror is all that remains). Was in a bit of a Carpenter's Prince of Darkness mood last night. Image

Totally misheard the mirror line - much subtler take than Anthrax's. :mrgreen:
Lord British

Post by Lord British »

BIL wrote:
The guitars have such a Tecno Soft sound to them, even moreso in the single version. Image Would do any Thunder Force proud. (Black Angel's another, the trackname also making me think of Hyper Duel :cool:)
Ha, thanks man. Love Tecno Soft.

No one's really mentioned it, but I think the 8-bit influence is almost blatant. Choir of the Cursed reminds me of Bionic Commando. The video game influence is definitely a component. Beyond the Bells is another one I'd like to hear an 8-bit version of.