Thoughts on NeoGeo Arcade Stick

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
MintyTheCat

Thoughts on NeoGeo Arcade Stick

Post by MintyTheCat »

Hello all,

I am kind of on the fence over getting hold of the NeoGeo Arcade Stick. Has anyone bought one or used one, is it worth it?

https://www.snk-corp.co.jp/us/neogeoarcadestickpro/

Cheers.
More Bromances = safer people
Spacemonkey

Re: Thoughts on NeoGeo Arcade Stick

Post by Spacemonkey »

Waiting for mine to come in.

I checked here last week to see if anyone was talking about it because they had it for sale on Amazon U.S. for 99.99 with an adapter so that it can be used on a PS3/PS4/Switch. Normally it can only be used on a PC through USB as a joystick.

Most info I was able to get was on Youtube, there's a couple Youtubers that added Sanwa/Seimitsu parts.
Also SNK has been unlocking extra games on the system.
It can also be hacked if you're into that.

I figured a nice looking NEO GEO branded joystick that can be upgraded with arcade parts was worth it. I prefer original hardware, so the emulation part of it is not a big deal to me, I do like the convenience of classic/mini consoles, and it looks like it's improved over the NEO GEO mini according to online reviews.
MintyTheCat

Post by MintyTheCat »

Yes, it's still a bit pricey here in Europe but if it does drop a bit then I may well get one. I fancied opening it around my birthday though.

I still really to play samurai spirits 5 and this would be a good way to play it. Also, it has Art of Fighting 2 (I realise that most people hate this game but I've always found it to be fun to play, inspite of it being really unbalanced and cheap :D ) along with the usual games that I play. Not sure if they will unlock ninja commando but they have Shock Troopers which is a really good game to play 2P.

Anyway, hopefully the supply will improve in Europe and we'll see the price lower a bit.

A part of me was thinking that it would be handy if it could be used to play on an AES or MVS too - kind of full-circle then :)

Yes, I saw some videos about unlocking the machine too.
I have the NG Mini but it isn't unlocked. It's kind of nice to play every now and then but for serious play when playing most of the fighters it's just too small and the stick is too imprecise but it's fine for Wind Jammers and Metal Slug :)
Bratwurst

Post by Bratwurst »

Every Neo Geo branded item I've tried that was produced post AES/MVS has been disappointing out of the box, I don't expect this to be much different. You'll probably want to swap out the stick and buttons. And why wasn't there a black version?
MintyTheCat

Post by MintyTheCat »

Bratwurst wrote:Every Neo Geo branded item I've tried that was produced post AES/MVS has been disappointing out of the box, I don't expect this to be much different. You'll probably want to swap out the stick and buttons. And why wasn't there a black version?
Yep: NGX was a bit of a joke that many paid dearly for. I quite like the NGMini though but it's not really the machine to play NG fighters on due to the stick.

SNK/Playmore are milking it a bit with the kind of pricey extra covers of different colours. For all we know they will release special editions in different colours like they did for the NGMini.