The Redhead's Lament

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
BIL

Re: The Redhead's Lament

Post by BIL »

Blinge wrote:So it seems like Japan really held it down with characters ~Kissed by fire.~
but I wonder, for the most part they're not intended to be like actual redhead humans are they?
It seems more the anime tendency to just pick wildly different hair colours to black/brown.

Thoughts on that? Let me know if i'm missing the mark here.
That's the case for a lot of them, I'm sure. I doubt Adol's blood-red mop has much more real-world significance than Dogi's spiky blue hair. It just looks striking, and red is a swordsman-apropos colour of passion, blood and danger. Likewise, I doubt Sephiroth, Alucard and Dante (DMC1)'s silver/white hair was a shout-out to the OAPs. Quite the opposite, it reflects their demi-human might and immortality.

Gotta take what you can get in this shitshow world. :wink:
6t8k

Post by 6t8k »

Blinge: it definitely gives the impression that there's a pattern where the hair of western video game characters is ordinarily intended to be naturally colored, including the less common hues. Exceptions prove the rule (see below). I guess this goes well with the traditional general tendency of western developers to strive for more realistic art styles, while more stylized or fantastic perspectives often originated from Japan. I think this difference isn't as prevalent anymore as it has been, say, between '95 and '05.

Take for example Ikuro from Apidya and his wife Yuri (Hexaae, not in the picture and the antagonist of Ikuro, has red hair):

Or Bren Mc Guire from Mega Turrican:

The Factor 5 and Kaiko guys intended to develop "japanese style" games, however. Apidya's title screen also symbolically shows this to the player:

That 'II' by the way was included just for funsies.
Last edited by 6t8k on Sat May 16, 2020 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Obiwanshinobi

Post by Obiwanshinobi »

Bleach video games, I believe.

The rear gate is closed down
The way out is cut off

Sly Cherry Chunks

Post by Sly Cherry Chunks »

6t8k wrote: Or Bren Mc Guire from Mega Turrican:
Her hair was blue on the Amiga. Also, if "eons" and "generations" have passed since The Machine last attacked, why is Bren still alive?
The biggest unanswered question is where is the money? [1CCS]
6t8k

Post by 6t8k »

^ Oh, right! Would've been a better example even. If only both her and Bren were visible in the same frame. As for your question, rhetorical or not, not really familiar with Turrican lore, but if in doubt this would probably be explained by the unfathomable depths of video game logic™ :p
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

I can't believe it.

Ys origin achievements.. making jokes at the expense of Adol the Red?

say it ain't so!

my ruski friend said - non redheads have to pronounce it 'ginga'
:lol:
1cc List - Youtube - You emptylock my heart
BIL

Post by BIL »

SHAME ON A GINGA WHO TRY 2 RUN GAME ON GINGA (■`w´■)
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

All 27 reddo comic/cartoon characters that got " race swapped " and de-gingered in the process.
I guess Ariel is the exception LOL

https://boundingintocomics.com/2020/12/ ... e-swapped/

look at the langauge btw
when the destination race isn't white, it's "race-swapping"
when something becomes white, it's "white washing"

I was startled by the 27 number btw.. i'd assumed it would be like, 5 tops.
Sengoku Strider

Post by Sengoku Strider »

What a bizarre phenomenon. Do redheads not film well visually or something and so producers take the opportunity to make the diversity move there? Do they think redheads are not real? Are they so alien to white producers of non-Britanic origins that they seem practically black? Did South Park actually poison the well for redheads that badly?

Because it's a pretty weird spot to consistently make that switch, "I'm different, I'm into redheads" is such a nerd cliche it became a meme.
BIL

Post by BIL »

I recapitulate that Muttfordshire will always have Gingerstan's back, Burinju. (`w´メ)
Sengoku Strider wrote:Do redheads not film well visually or something and so producers take the opportunity to make the diversity move there?
I have to say no - given the history of darker skin tones and film, I'd expect the opposite to occur.

I think it's more a case of cramming in "diversity" via any obscure character they can. When I say "obscure," I mean that as John Q. Public, I don't know who the fuck any of those characters even are. Supes, Bats, his youthful bumchum Robin, Wonder Woman, The Flash... uh, Green Lantern... but don't ask me who the fuck Wally West or Barry Bonds are, I recall there's all sorts of timeline BS there, from my time as a preteen grabbing random funnybooks off the spinny rack near the checkout to read on the drive home.

ITS MAHVEL BAYBEE! Aha, I recall a few more famous faces there. As with the aforementioned though, not a one is a FOOKIN GINGER BASTAD. OH FUCK! :shock: Sorry Burinju. :cry: I've been going deep cover as a White English Cur the last several years, I swear it just slipped out m8. :oops:

(RIDDLE ME THIS, WOKEMEN - why is a nation neurotically obsessed with slights over skin tone A-OK with creating, and maintaining, an entire social under-caste based on hair tone? I always found it a highly disturbing bit of hypocrisy.

You know - on principle, that dusty old thing. LMAO OLD

oh well, I'm off to M&S! A bit costlier, but UNLIKE Tesco, they don't run Christmas ads racially abusing Gingers! Burinju pls consider this my restitution for the earlier lapse Image Image The OFF-WHITE ALLIANCE remains strong, brother!)

So yeah, why not cash in from some FREE N EZ Diversity (meaning "anything but white") bucks?

Not to get conspiratorial all up in dis bitch, naw mean. Just looks that way from my not-particularly-comic-literate POV.
cj iwakura

Post by cj iwakura »

Valis?

heli wrote:Why is milestone director in prison ?, are his game to difficult ?
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Who?

We've kinda moved on from the initial premise of this thread man.

and I've refined the search down, far more interested in Western productions than crimson coloured wacky unnatural anime reds.

i've now done a very slapdash edit of the OP
BIL wrote:Image The OFF-WHITE ALLIANCE remains strong, brother!)
:lol: :lol: :lol: