shmups.system11.org

Shmups Forum
 
* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Thu May 28, 2020 9:31 pm View unanswered posts
View active topics



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 132 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Streets of Rage 4
PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2020 3:09 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 24 Jan 2017
Posts: 344
Location: Korea
Stevens wrote:
I've S ranked stages 1 - 8 with Adam. 9 - 12 inbound. I have about 20 hours in so far and I think I've used Adam for 19 of them.

Minor tip. Always use your stars, all of them.

Stevens wrote:
Got the S on 9 and 10.

Curious how I would do in an arcade mode run.

Good stuff dude! Were chaining combos a big factor?

I've only got about 10 hours, and I've yet to 1cc it (2cc being my best thus far). It's too long for me at the moment. I'm a bit annoyed as I was deathless twice up to stage 11 with Blaze and then Adam. Went to bed and when I decided to come back to it, I died on the St11 boss. It's my fault for not gitting gud, but it would be nice to have a chance to warm up. So I stopped playing during the week. I just don't have time to sit down after work and play it all the way through. That is probably my only major complaint though. Minor ones include hyper armour bosses (not that it's hard, just that it's not as fun as it could be), and possibly the lack an invincible defensive special. The defensive special is more because I'm used to having then anything else. Perhaps it is not needed, but it might have been more enjoyable to have it. I'd also prefer the rank system to focus less on combos, but that's a very finicky complaint.

I don't understand the hate for the graphics or music to be honest. It's not perfect, but it's pretty damn good. I would even say the backgrounds are amazing, the animations are great and the music is at least decent, if not good. But haters gonna hate. Gameplay wise, I can understand why some wouldn't like it.
_________________
Shmup Difficulty Lists:
Japan Arcade
Perikles
To Far Away Times


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Streets of Rage 4
PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2020 4:16 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 20 May 2011
Posts: 1213
Location: Southern California
BurlyHeart wrote:
I don't understand the hate for the graphics or music to be honest. It's not perfect, but it's pretty damn good. I would even say the backgrounds are amazing, the animations are great and the music is at least decent, if not good. But haters gonna hate.


Yup it’s pretty hypocritical. These haters are nit-picking at silly stuff like shadows and referring to SoR2 as their benchmark, yet that game wasn’t perfect either. Blaze had freakishly dis-proportionate legs. Those thighs are too long and at a weird bend. It doesn’t make sense for her stance and her shins look so short and stubby.
Image

I honestly feel people want to hate on 4’s art style because it's just not pixel art. Especially the older fans. I get it. But at the same time good quality art shouldn't be shunned because it's not one type of art a person expects.
_________________
The Artcade blog


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Streets of Rage 4
PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2020 4:34 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 08 Mar 2015
Posts: 3895
Location: Québec City
^^^^^^^^
just a nitpick here : when drawing women (wether pencil or sprite), you HAVE to give them long legs and a smallish/more compact torso, to get the feminity across. Any sexy drawing of girls will confirm that right away. When drawing you have to emphasize some traits, and girls do have different proportions than men regarding their legs(a tiny bit longer) and torso(a tiny bit shorter). If you don't emphasize that, your drawing of a girl will look like a man. Even in realistic drawing it is emphasized a little bit (althogh not exagerated) but in more cartoony drawings (including hand-drawn sprites), you gotta emphasize and also exagerrate it.

I don't have it next to me right now, but in my Preston Blair(maker of Roger Rabbit) book ''How to Animate'' I used in my traditional animation degree in college, there was a bit on drawing men and women and he showed different proportions and the women had shorter torso and longer legs proportions/ratios, compared to men.

As such I dont see anything wrong proportion-wise with the Blaze sprite above. She looks feminine and hot, and that means the sprite artist succeded in his goal.
_________________
-FM Synth & Black Metal-


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Streets of Rage 4
PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2020 4:47 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 20 May 2011
Posts: 1213
Location: Southern California
If you read my comment fully, I wasn’t taking about her torso in comparison to her legs. Your point is correct about femininity in the upper to lower body ratio, if not basic.
I’m talking about her thighs compared to her shins and the pose she’s supposed to be standing in. If you can’t see what I’m talking about you might want to get a refund on that traditional animation degree. (21 year animator here, still in the industry)
_________________
The Artcade blog


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Streets of Rage 4
PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2020 5:01 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 08 Mar 2015
Posts: 3895
Location: Québec City
Wow, you are such an incredible asshole

My post was respectful but yours is aggressive and sligging mud, and frankly I am baffled at why one would even behave that way. I wish there was an ignore button on this site so that I could ignore you. I wish for you to resolve your problems in life, and get less aggressive.
_________________
-FM Synth & Black Metal-


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Streets of Rage 4
PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2020 5:04 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 20 May 2011
Posts: 1213
Location: Southern California
Likewise. It’s equally rude to misconstrue someone’s point then dick swing your credentials at them. Sorry to ruin your day.
_________________
The Artcade blog


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Streets of Rage 4
PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2020 5:49 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 01 May 2014
Posts: 2764
Location: Brooklyn NY
BurlyHeart wrote:
Good stuff dude! Were chaining combos a big factor?


Yeah. They are. I'm playing on normal.

I basically played through the game once.

Then I took the time to learn how to chain the first stage. Not the whole thing from start to finish, but each part of it. I also figured out which parts could give a good combo on its own but could also be chained into the next area.

So generally my first stage looks like this - first area is good for around 50. Then I'll chain everything from the first knife galsia to where the stage starts to scroll down. What I do then is walk all the way down (to just before the car crashes) to get all the baddies on the screen (this is helpful in other places too). I may chain a bit of the next part too, if I'm feeling daring but I'll always cash out before the robot. Anyways I can get two nice combos into the red for the first part. I have chained everything from the first knife galsia to passed the car, but I do that less often.

Second part I'll generally cash in at blue, and the boss I'll let go to green and cash. In fact I'll cash in at green for all bosses except Nora cause it is just so tempting to go for a high combo.

I did this for every stage. A fair amount of it is just practicing on the stage,. Figuring out how far in you want to press before cashing out.

For instance stage 9 - my aim is 5,000 - 6,000 points by the time I hit the dry part. Then I'll do a bunch of small combos cause I'm taking a hit or two at the next part (Goro's). Then I'll fight the three gunmen that exit the elevator - they all ow me start at green when the elevator part begins. I'll push that into red (not easy but doable) and cash out cause again Goro's on the elevator. After I deal with them I can usually push one more green or even blue if the fatties don't hit me. By that point one of the walls is probably broken and I'm tossing fuckers out anyway.

16,000 by the boss is a good sign. If you no miss or miss once there is still a decent chance of getting the S.

The cool thing is you don't have to super full combo the stages. I'm still trying to figure out if there is an "ideal" color to aim for that would allow you to cash out at a certain color every time and still get that S. I've been aiming for two red combos per stage.

As I have gone further into the game this time the S ranks are coming with less time. Stage one and four probably took be the longest and I wasn't doing myself any favors cause I thought throwing enemies into pits counted against you combo wise, but it doesn't. It makes things a little easier.

The S's will come. This is all with Adam by the way.
_________________
Discovered the Chime of a Beckoning Bell


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Streets of Rage 4
PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2020 8:54 pm 



Joined: 01 Aug 2009
Posts: 237
Location: The Netherlands
opt2not wrote:
BurlyHeart wrote:
I don't understand the hate for the graphics or music to be honest. It's not perfect, but it's pretty damn good. I would even say the backgrounds are amazing, the animations are great and the music is at least decent, if not good. But haters gonna hate.


Yup it’s pretty hypocritical. These haters are nit-picking at silly stuff like shadows and referring to SoR2 as their benchmark, yet that game wasn’t perfect either. Blaze had freakishly dis-proportionate legs. Those thighs are too long and at a weird bend. It doesn’t make sense for her stance and her shins look so short and stubby.
Image

I honestly feel people want to hate on 4’s art style because it's just not pixel art. Especially the older fans. I get it. But at the same time good quality art shouldn't be shunned because it's not one type of art a person expects.


I don't really know why you'd need a book full of reasons why anyone should like or dislike this. I can appreciate the work that went into it but really the style just doesn't work for me. It still won't work for me if i read a few pages detailing what's so great about it. Nowadays everyone is so tense about this stuff, like everyone prefers to be in their own echo chamber and can't just tolerate different opinions. If you do like it that's great for you right? There are more reasons SoR4 didn't click for me, eventhough the gfx and music didn't click i started off liking playing it but for lots of reasons my enjoyment was a lot less after an hour or hour and a half. The engine (or what i saw of it) was pretty good.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Streets of Rage 4
PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2020 9:30 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 08 May 2008
Posts: 3489
spmbx wrote:
I don't really know why you'd need a book full of reasons why anyone should like or dislike this.


That's not what it's about. If people were just saying, "the art style does nothing for me," there would be no argument. What people have been saying was the art was amateurish. Flash art. Which was not only false, but completely unfair.
_________________
A wealthy oligarch and two working-class dudes, one black one white, sit at a table with ten cookies.

The oligarch grabs nine cookies for himself then says to the white dude, "Watch out for that black dude, he wants a piece of your cookie!"


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Streets of Rage 4
PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2020 12:43 am 


User avatar

Joined: 08 May 2008
Posts: 3489
I think the combos have more to do with the total damage dealt than the actual number of hits.

I've gotten into the blue with just a 15-hit combo tossing a pipe back and forth. Meanwhile I've gotten well into double-digits destroying scenery and never get any combo bonus.

Makes sense because otherwise Floyd is screwed score-wise.
_________________
A wealthy oligarch and two working-class dudes, one black one white, sit at a table with ten cookies.

The oligarch grabs nine cookies for himself then says to the white dude, "Watch out for that black dude, he wants a piece of your cookie!"


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Streets of Rage 4
PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2020 3:01 am 


User avatar

Joined: 17 Mar 2005
Posts: 2391
Location: polar malortex, illinois
Just my own personal take on the art — yeah, there are elements of it that don't appeal to me personally, but I do really like what they did with some of the '90s vibe; take a look at the Adam art in the 'hero' section of the extras, check out his dope fade on the first iteration they did, and tell me it doesn't look like a fuckin' 1992 Levi's commercial. Same with Donovan, I know some don't like his new design but in a way he actually feels more contemporaneous with the '90s than his tight-pants counterpart from the old games did. Some of the new takes are really creative, too — Barbon as a Gymkata-style fighter is freaking hilarious.

My only (minor) bone to pick with the new art style is the stylistic inconsistency that crops up now and again; I think that the biker lady enemies are again the main culprits here; not only are their proportions too exaggerated in my opinion, but they're significantly less detailed that almost every other enemy sprite. One could level the same complaint against Big Ben perhaps in terms of detail, but he gets a little bit more of a pass IMO since his design is quite similar to the SoR2/3 versions.
_________________
Image
We here shall not rest until we have made a drawing-room of your shaft, and if you do not all finally go down to your doom in patent-leather shoes, then you shall not go at all.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Streets of Rage 4
PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2020 3:58 am 


User avatar

Joined: 01 May 2014
Posts: 2764
Location: Brooklyn NY
it290 wrote:
Barbon as a Gymkata-style fighter


Skill of Gymnastics. Kill of Karate.
_________________
Discovered the Chime of a Beckoning Bell


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Streets of Rage 4
PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2020 7:35 am 


User avatar

Joined: 16 Nov 2015
Posts: 1452
Mischief Maker wrote:
I think the combos have more to do with the total damage dealt than the actual number of hits.

I've gotten into the blue with just a 15-hit combo tossing a pipe back and forth. Meanwhile I've gotten well into double-digits destroying scenery and never get any combo bonus.

It is. You can test this out by jabbing the wrecking balls for several minutes and build up a 900-hit combo, only for the combo to still be white and be worth no points when it cashes out.
_________________
Xyga wrote:
chum wrote:
the thing is that we actually go way back and have known each other on multiple websites, first clashing in a Naruto forum.

Liar. I've known you only from latexmachomen.com and pantysniffers.org forums.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Streets of Rage 4
PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2020 2:58 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 01 May 2014
Posts: 2764
Location: Brooklyn NY
Durandal wrote:
Mischief Maker wrote:
I think the combos have more to do with the total damage dealt than the actual number of hits.

I've gotten into the blue with just a 15-hit combo tossing a pipe back and forth. Meanwhile I've gotten well into double-digits destroying scenery and never get any combo bonus.

It is. You can test this out by jabbing the wrecking balls for several minutes and build up a 900-hit combo, only for the combo to still be white and be worth no points when it cashes out.


Awesomely though knocking mooks into pits raises the color super fast. I thought the opposite at first and was actively trying to not throw them in.
_________________
Discovered the Chime of a Beckoning Bell


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Streets of Rage 4
PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2020 6:29 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 30 Oct 2008
Posts: 4973
Location: Springfield, Missouri, USA
Mischief Maker wrote:
spmbx wrote:
I don't really know why you'd need a book full of reasons why anyone should like or dislike this.


That's not what it's about. If people were just saying, "the art style does nothing for me," there would be no argument. What people have been saying was the art was amateurish. Flash art. Which was not only false, but completely unfair.


To be fair I think this was just me :lol: . I'll take being called a moron by one member and the pedantic article as well, but everyone else is innocent!


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Streets of Rage 4
PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 2:58 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 01 May 2014
Posts: 2764
Location: Brooklyn NY
Only stage 12 eludes me now. I'm not sure what S score is on 12, but I'm guessing 35,000 since I've scored 33 and got an A.
Which is funny cause that is way higher than any other score I've gotten stage wise.

One of the things I've been saving stars for? Groups of Murphy's (Drop it Creep) - busts his shield and lets you keep that combo going.

Everything the game throws at you has an answer, it almost feels like a Beat em' Up made by Fromsoft. At first something hits you and you're like - Bullshit. And then you learn the counter. But there are still one or two things that you're like - fuck you Miyazaki that is bullshit. That said two things need nerfs -

1 - Vertical tracking on Garnets/Rubys - Yeah I know how to and am capable of dealing with them, just no. It isn't necessary. This is also present on kick boxer's Tiger Knee, but for some reason feels less offensive.

3 - Biker Bitch's - Charging Headbutt.

On screen? No problem as I can both see where they are coming from and get an audible warning.

Off screen? Also fine as you still get an audible warning and can counter accordingly.

Off screen with super armor? This one is bullshit. It is enough to keep track of herding, keeping your combo going, and audible off screen threats. On top of that I now have to guess which biker chick it is when the warning sounds the same? This basically forces you into a neutral special/air special response anytime you hear the audible warning from off screen.

If they changed the warning sound for super armor bikers or made it so super armor biker chick could only attack from on screen that would fix said issues. I would know if I could safely neutral jump attack or had to use a special.
_________________
Discovered the Chime of a Beckoning Bell


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Streets of Rage 4
PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 3:58 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 16 Nov 2015
Posts: 1452
After getting through Stage 5 on Mania, there are some things about the enemies that do get very obscene.

Most notably, the super armor on the Big Ben's flame charge. The game spawns three of them on one side of the screen on top of the Koobo miniboss you are already having your hands full with. Trying to control a group of Big Bens is impossible when they'll do a super armor roll away from you on wakeup in a random direction. Trying to approach a Big Ben from the front when you aren't already at point-blank range is impossible because they'll just do their super armor flamebreath charge you have no choice but to sidewalk. The offensive approach would be to just defensive special through them (as you can with The Commissioner's clothesline charge), but here it's impossible because you will often have two-three Big Bens charging at you at once (on top of whatever Koobo is doing), so even if you time your defensive special right for one Big Ben you will get hit by the active frames of another one right as the invincibility of your special ends.

It used to be that you could interrupt a Big Ben charge by hitting them from behind or using ranged weapons, but as is they're way too uncontrollable and hard to begin committing damage to in the first place, which is a problem their sizeable health pool further exacerbates. It's unrealistic to survive this screen without using your Star Moves (it's telling when even on all of iconoclast's Mania runs with the SoR4 characters he is always dumping his Star Moves on this screen, while getting interim juggled), and ideally no screen should be almost impossible to beat without using them. It would be okay if it was just one Big Ben or if the Big Bens had no super armor/weren't as fast/didn't track as well, but as is the Big Bens force you to play too reactively than is honestly fun. They even have super armor on winding up their charge, so it's not like you can aggressively interrupt them either.

It's a similar problem the Diamond/Garnets share where because on Mania they almost always appear in groups and have strong homing on their jumpkicks. Neutral hopkicks and defensive specials don't work consistently when its active frames only last long enough to swat one Diamond out of the air, but not the one coming right behind her. Aerial specials are supposed to be a better fit against them, but even then you can sometimes get AA'd by a Diamond jumpkick even in the middle of your aerial special.
_________________
Xyga wrote:
chum wrote:
the thing is that we actually go way back and have known each other on multiple websites, first clashing in a Naruto forum.

Liar. I've known you only from latexmachomen.com and pantysniffers.org forums.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Streets of Rage 4
PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 10:35 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 20 Mar 2017
Posts: 899
Location: プププランド
opt2not wrote:
Yup it’s pretty hypocritical. These haters are nit-picking at silly stuff like shadows and referring to SoR2 as their benchmark, yet that game wasn’t perfect either. Blaze had freakishly dis-proportionate legs. Those thighs are too long and at a weird bend. It doesn’t make sense for her stance and her shins look so short and stubby.


Image

this is from the article you linked, earlier, and i don't know how you can look at the one on the right as what to uphold while picking on the one on the left. say what you will about anime girls (which i'd say blaze in SoR2 heavily leans toward - hate comparing a sprite to a high res digital piece like this because you're meant to experience old sprites on a CRT), but the way that "sexy" western comics art is done and what it does to the body are just goddamn weird, to me. i see some male animators and comics artists bend over backwards to justify their approach, sometimes going through insane mental gymnastics of evolutionary male attraction to female form, and i think they start losing themselves in myopic justification of their style. blaze's proportions are a little weird in her old SoR2 sprite, sure, but i don't think proportions and anatomy matter tremendously so long as the communication is apt, and that's a beloved sprite for a reason.

i would never say that the sor4 key animator is untrained or incompetent, but the leap in style is very substantial. what western comic art tends to accentuate via its cartoonish abstraction of form is so different that the character loses recognizability - and i'd say this for the whole cast, including the enemies. watching trailers, i didn't even recognize returning enemy cast until seeing names pop-up and finding myself in disbelief. what i meant earlier with my "reddit gold" dig is that this is like, run-of-the-mill modern western comics art that you see all over the place, these days. the kind of "i redesigned this, check it out" posts you see all over reddit that get clamoring from the lowest common denominator. it's generic and i really feel it has no 'take,' i prefer amateur art because it is usually at least saying something.

so, i agree that it's a bit refined, laborious, expensive, and even trained - the key animator has talent! never meant to imply otherwise. however, it is also jarringly different even if you disagree with it being what i'd consider ugly. it's not at all just that it's western (i just bought canadian artist prints today, i enjoy some western comics and their art and own a few hardbacks, i even just bought a venture brothers artbook for pete's sake), it's that it's like... the garbage you see all over today's most popular capes comics. people may be inarticulate or flippant when they just say "it's bad," but man, a lot of them have pretty good reason to given the upsetting ubiquity of that stuff and its encroachment on everything. the game is called "streets of rage 4" and built on a highly revered series with some heavy, particular style to it. people usually stay in their lane with their criticism - i mean, i don't read avengers comics and go "damn fukken uggo western dogshit" (despite thinking that) because i am not drawn to it to begin with. however, it ain't the mass of us ambivalent-to-repulsed by this that are crossing a lane, here, it's the people who made the game.

even getting over my disdain for the style, which i really don't want to turn this into an argument over and have more than made on my piece on, the biggest problem i have is probably foreground/background composition for a huge variety of reasons. i tried to focus on this in my last post and have my "eugh god western comics pop art" disses to a minimum, because it is really pressingly what upsets me more than anything and something i think that even if i somehow liked the style i'd still find severely detrimental. even getting past all the ugly Expensive Modern Game touches like the lighting, shadows, etc., you've got backgrounds with lots of color gradient and sometimes very few or very softly defined lines with characters who have extremely thick black lines and simple coloring. neither of these, putting aside my distaste for the style, are individually bad or lacking in elbow grease, but they are lacking in cohesion with each other.

the palettes are probably the most pressing source of issue, here, because i feel like there's extremely little successful contrast. even on really tiny thumbnails of SoR2 screens, you can immediately identify the characters and where they are because of the relative vibrant colors on characters and relative darker colors of backgrounds. this is assisted tremendously by the low resolution of the art and limited overall palette selection forcing solutions like this, which i think is a big part of the appeal of pixel art & older games, in general. creativity through limitation is pretty interesting, and i want to admit i'd probably find sor2 uglier if the same art team redesigned it in high res with vectored sprites and super detailed bg's (though maybe they'd surprise me!)... but they were working on a console with a kind-of muddy palette and pretty substantial technical restrictions and busted out one of the most memorable works in its library.

when the backgrounds in sor4 do contrast with the characters, which is not often and not substantially, my attention is drawn to the line thickness/darkness difference. you see this in cartoons all the time to make cels pop in front of their backgrounds and the characters/foreground environment feel alive, but i feel like this backfires in a game like this. i start to feel it is really obvious that characters aren't really 'on' the background and i'm just watching a layer of sprites interact with each other, probably because the background extends to to the viewer and all imaginary z axis animation is just the characters moving up/down on the screen without getting smaller or larger. that's a pitfall of working with belt scrollers altogether, but i feel like keen palette pop works elegantly enough and line contrast instead sabotages composition. this is where i think a lot of the "looks like a flash game" complaints come in, maybe compounded with some of my earlier criticism levied at the weird layer work and varying FPS of things movin around. these things give you some of that classic dissonance you get with the disparate assembled parts of what people are used to seeing from flash titles.

- - - - -

sorry for HUGE TEXT POST, but, in short, i think the game is ugly beyond matters of taste, and that matters of taste in this instance warrant the angry dismissive responses that many have been giving because this is Streets of Rage 4 and not, uh, something else.
_________________
~Imagination and memory are but one thing, which for diverse considerations have diverse names~
Image | Image
~*~*~*~*~*~* If there's a place that I could be ~ Then I'd be another memory *~*~*~*~*~*~


Top
 Online Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Streets of Rage 4
PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 11:55 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 08 May 2008
Posts: 3489
kitten wrote:
the palettes are probably the most pressing source of issue, here, because i feel like there's extremely little successful contrast. even on really tiny thumbnails of SoR2 screens, you can immediately identify the characters and where they are because of the relative vibrant colors on characters and relative darker colors of backgrounds.


How many times do I have to say it?

Turn Ambience Factor to zero, turn Ambience Factor to zero, turn Ambience Factor to zero!!!
_________________
A wealthy oligarch and two working-class dudes, one black one white, sit at a table with ten cookies.

The oligarch grabs nine cookies for himself then says to the white dude, "Watch out for that black dude, he wants a piece of your cookie!"


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Streets of Rage 4
PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 12:30 am 


User avatar

Joined: 20 Mar 2017
Posts: 899
Location: プププランド
it's not a magic fix????? the only time i brought up the lighting/etc. in the whole post was to say "even getting past [that shit]"
_________________
~Imagination and memory are but one thing, which for diverse considerations have diverse names~
Image | Image
~*~*~*~*~*~* If there's a place that I could be ~ Then I'd be another memory *~*~*~*~*~*~


Top
 Online Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Streets of Rage 4
PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 3:55 am 


User avatar

Joined: 17 Mar 2005
Posts: 2391
Location: polar malortex, illinois
It's weird, I've had absolutely no issues with the contrast whatsoever and never have I felt like the game was visually obscuring something that I should have seen. I would think that generally beat 'em up sprites are large enough that this isn't ever really an issue, but it seems that's not the case for some. Certainly this game has more contrast and communicates what's going on more clearly than many of the shmups this forum loves—neither here nor there but I played several rounds of Ibara the other day and died more than once because some bullet blended in with the shrapnel (and I still think it's a great game).

Subjective arguments aside, how many here think that SoR4 honestly has an accessibility/contrast problem with its visuals (e.g. _not_ just 'I think it looks flat.')?

Honestly though the reaction is really interesting to me; my expectations for this game were very low and I never expected it to be so divisive; most of the negative reaction (not in this forum specifically) seems entirely centered around the aesthetics and far less so on the gameplay; totally valid but unexpected to be sure.

Also—the music is actually growing on me too. Of course it'll never be anywhere near SoR1/2 level, but I have to say I do really like the dynamism at parts and how the tone will suddenly change; it really makes the action feel a lot more dramatic.
_________________
Image
We here shall not rest until we have made a drawing-room of your shaft, and if you do not all finally go down to your doom in patent-leather shoes, then you shall not go at all.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Streets of Rage 4
PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 5:42 am 


User avatar

Joined: 20 Mar 2017
Posts: 899
Location: プププランド
it290 wrote:
Subjective arguments aside, how many here think that SoR4 honestly has an accessibility/contrast problem with its visuals (e.g. _not_ just 'I think it looks flat.')?


i want to stress that i don't think it's an accessibility issue in case it was interpreted that way (which i don't think you're accusing me of?). it's mostly just a compositional ugliness. it could absolutely be more immediately parsable, but it's not to the point i think things can't be seen or that it's inhibiting play in a way i'd ever compare to not seeing a bullet in a shooter. it's... distracting, i guess? ugly, but the visuals never inhibit determining shapes, it's just a mess. you could make the palette just black outlines & the color brown and the tells in this game would still be readable.
_________________
~Imagination and memory are but one thing, which for diverse considerations have diverse names~
Image | Image
~*~*~*~*~*~* If there's a place that I could be ~ Then I'd be another memory *~*~*~*~*~*~


Top
 Online Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Streets of Rage 4
PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 5:18 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 29 Aug 2010
Posts: 909
Location: Fairfax, VA
God damn there is so much bitching in this thread. Not unexpected for this forum, but.. sheesh.

Game has been a ton of fun for me to play. I could easily see people looking at this as the best in the series in the future after its "newness" has worn off. At least from a gameplay standpoint.

The visuals have grown on me. Wasn't a fan in preview trailers, but in person at 1080p and up, there is so much subtle detail in person that's hard to catch in a compressed video online.
_________________
YouTube | Twitch | Website | STG 1CC List


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Streets of Rage 4
PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 8:44 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 26 May 2008
Posts: 1669
Location: France
Austin wrote:
God damn there is so much bitching in this thread. Not unexpected for this forum, but.. sheesh.


I guess most of us were in their 10’s or 20’s when the first games in the series came out, so those games participated in making us the gamers we are. Growing up and having to deal with childhood memories is always tough. No doubt almost anyone here would have had much fun with the game and had not developped such elaborate arguments if it came out in the 199X.
_________________
Bravo jolie Ln, tu as trouvé : l'armée de l'air c'est là où on peut te tenir par la main.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Streets of Rage 4
PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 10:33 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 20 Mar 2017
Posts: 899
Location: プププランド
my argument isn't "stop enjoying how it looks," it's just that i think people put off by that perceived ugliness have a point. that's it. i've deliberately avoided making a value statement on the game, itself, and have no intention of telling people they're wrong for liking it. not all of us who dislike the visuals are turgid nostalgists, and brushing it off as though we're stuck-in-our-ways haters is dumber bullshit than the most tedious of our complaints. like, i didn't even play SoR2 until probably less than ten years ago, and it was only the tip of the iceberg in getting me to appreciate mega drive sounds & visuals.

there's a bevy of modern games whose visuals i do appreciate, probably more western than not. tyson hesse, the guy who storyboarded the intro for sonic mania - i thought that was gorgeous! love his work on skullgirls (he did most of peacock's animations, who is heavily inspired by classic western cartoons), enjoyed his old comic 'boxer hockey' and even kickstarted it getting books and let him (gladly) keep my money when he got a little over his head and couldn't deliver everything promised. mechanically, i don't like sonic mania or skullgirls, but i find them thoroughly visually appealing.

the only argument i'm trying to win here is that people who are upset have a right to be and maybe have a point - y'all don't gotta change your minds on whether you find it nice-lookin' or not. i've obviously caused a big stink in the thread with the presence of this many words, but i just felt it important to be like "hey, actually, finding it ugly isn't a shitheaded take."
_________________
~Imagination and memory are but one thing, which for diverse considerations have diverse names~
Image | Image
~*~*~*~*~*~* If there's a place that I could be ~ Then I'd be another memory *~*~*~*~*~*~


Top
 Online Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Streets of Rage 4
PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 1:54 am 


User avatar

Joined: 17 Mar 2005
Posts: 2391
Location: polar malortex, illinois
I agree with you kitten (and no I never meant 'accessibility' in the sense of being usable by differently-abled persons, but more just overall contrast/design and its impact on playability). The thing that's just really interesting to me is how bipolar the opinions seem to be around the lighting/ambience stuff in particular; I can certainly understand a subjective distaste for the visuals, but to me they are strikingly colorful and vivid, the opposite of flat and dull. Not saying anyone who calls them the latter is wrong, but just the fact that so many opinions seem to be directly oppositional leaves me scratching my head as to why.
_________________
Image
We here shall not rest until we have made a drawing-room of your shaft, and if you do not all finally go down to your doom in patent-leather shoes, then you shall not go at all.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Streets of Rage 4
PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 3:43 am 


User avatar

Joined: 24 Jan 2017
Posts: 344
Location: Korea
Been watching some videos from iconoclasts and horheristo to get a better idea of the combo potential and gameplay tactics. Not a huge fan of the combo chaining system, but it is fun to watch. Been practsing sole stages this week, and it's better to play like that with a limited available time imo. Will try some full runs at the weekends.

it290 wrote:
Also—the music is actually growing on me too. Of course it'll never be anywhere near SoR1/2 level, but I have to say I do really like the dynamism at parts and how the tone will suddenly change; it really makes the action feel a lot more dramatic.

Same here, I'm starting to really like it!

EDIT: Also that thing with Limited Run offering a limited preorder, and then another company offering a different physical version after limited run's preorder had finished, was pretty disgusting. Happened to me with River City Girls, which was followed by an Asian release. Part of the reason I've moved towards PC being my main gaming platform.
_________________
Shmup Difficulty Lists:
Japan Arcade
Perikles
To Far Away Times


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Streets of Rage 4
PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 1:20 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 17 Jun 2019
Posts: 65
Late to the party on this one, but I've had so much fun with this game so far - I really was sceptical before release, hated the art style (and I guess I still would prefer more of a "Classic" feel to this, but there are filters to apply on the PS4 if you want a CRT look). But the game play and music are both amazing, one of those games where its quite easy to get through, but will take a lot of time to feel you've mastered. Only slight complaint is, I'm not really feeling the twins - I'd have just popped Mr X back in there personally.

I've played through with all the main characters, need to start going through with the unlockable ones now.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Streets of Rage 4
PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 5:23 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 24 Jan 2011
Posts: 1318
Location: UK
Seeing as there's a regular retail release coming, how's arcade mode? Does it let you save between stages and carry lives over too? I have more interest in playing this in a traditional way than stage by stage with lives that reset.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Streets of Rage 4
PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 6:06 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 01 May 2014
Posts: 2764
Location: Brooklyn NY
TransatlanticFoe wrote:
Seeing as there's a regular retail release coming, how's arcade mode? Does it let you save between stages and carry lives over too? I have more interest in playing this in a traditional way than stage by stage with lives that reset.


Arcade starts you with five lives and every 30,000 you get an extend.

One credit. No saves.
_________________
Discovered the Chime of a Beckoning Bell


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 132 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bananamatic, kitten and 10 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Space Pilot 3K template by Jakob Persson
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group