Streets of Rage 4

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
NYN

streets of skirts

Post by NYN »

Mischief Maker wrote:Worry not.
Oh, I see now. Panties are the same colour scheme as the skirt. Not too ogled over. Dignified.
"I've transmuted into a super being. I'll proof it by killing you." -NGIII ( words to kill by )
BrianC

Re: Streets of Rage 4

Post by BrianC »

I don't mind Big Ben's cartoony design. He was cartoony in SoR 2 and 3 too. I like how he retains his original laugh.
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

I've seen the entire character roster - I'll miss two that are in Remake
Spoiler
SOR 1 Axel/SOR 2 Shiva
, but it's really nitpicking cause other versions of these characters are in 4.

As far as the OST goes I honestly couldn't care less. SOR 1 and 2 already had two of the greatest of all time, and they're here. Sides there are some decent new tunes to be had.

More thoughts later:D
My lord, I have come for you.
Mischief Maker

Post by Mischief Maker »

it290 wrote:That's awesome. I'm assuming/hoping Roo is one of those? Spent forever trying to see if I could unlock him.
I don't think so because he doesn't have a character info bio in the "Extra" menu. Seems like everyone (including Shiva) except Roo (and cop lady boss) for some reason. Possible future DLC?

Edit: I now highly suggest turning "Ambience Factor" to zero in advanced gfx options. Even more than Bloom, it solves the drabness problem of the visuals.
Two working class dudes, one black one white, just baked a tray of ten cookies together.

An oligarch walks in and grabs nine cookies for himself.

Then he says to the white dude "Watch out for that black dude, he wants a piece of your cookie!"
m.sniffles.esq

Post by m.sniffles.esq »

God, this game is garbage. It's like a flash game made by 22-year-olds who've never played a beat 'em up in their lives, only read about them on wikipedia. Even if this game was free, I'd still feel ripped off. Wait for torrent and pray there's no sources.

Spoiler
Sike! This game is completely fucking awesome in every regard. Anybody hating based on a trailer or a review is straight up clowning themselves.
BurlyHeart

Post by BurlyHeart »

So this will largely echo other thoughts, but I'll add regardless.

Played for another 2 hours tonight (again with beer - but no better genre for it imo) and contrary to my initial opinion, I loved it. Stuck with Axel throughout rather than trying different characters and had a blast. Loved the footsies orientated gameplay. Made it to the last boss of stage 12 (!??) on normal, but haven't finished it as yet.

I'll echo the sentiments of the new biker ladies being annoying, though I do think they will become easier once players adjust. And again, as mentioned, there is a lot of super armour on enemies. Slightly annoying but nothing that can't be adapted to I think. I also agree the story is ass, but it does the job. The music is fairly bland, but sound effects are very good and the SOR2 soundtrack is unlockable.

The positives for outweigh the negatives imo. I take it back about not liking the redesigns. Axel and Blaze look great. Shiva too. New characters are okay, though the wife pointed out that Cherry looks like Ronald McDonald and I can't unsee it now :/ . Estel is an ace addition and
Spoiler
I hope she is playable?

Some of the animations are freaking great. Seriously, watch Axel just sauntering forward with intent to do damage. Loving the backgrounds. Liking the combo system, and throwing enemies about is very satisfying. There's a lot to do. So many characters and modes. Haven't even touched Arcade or Battle yet, nevermind playing as other characters. Also the options menu has some really good shit, such adjusting buttons graphics to Playstation, XBox or Switch style, video effects and others.

And it's available DRM-free on GOG. It's a must-buy for any beat 'em up fan imo. I think Fight'N Rage still holds the crown, but SOR4 might persuade me still.
Now known as old man|Burly
YouTube
Shmup Difficulty Lists:
Japan Arcade - To Far Away Times - Perikles
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

Mischief Maker wrote:
it290 wrote:That's awesome. I'm assuming/hoping Roo is one of those? Spent forever trying to see if I could unlock him.
I don't think so because he doesn't have a character info bio in the "Extra" menu. Seems like everyone (including Shiva) except Roo (and cop lady boss) for some reason. Possible future DLC?
I would be shocked if the updated Max and Shiva aren't made available at some point.
Mischief Maker wrote: Edit: I now highly suggest turning "Ambience Factor" to zero in advanced gfx options. Even more than Bloom, it solves the drabness problem of the visuals.
I leave Ambience Factor at default and kick luminosity up to 120% or 130%, game looks really good. Although now I want to try Lowering AF with the increased luminosity.

I love the fact that Adam is in this as he was my most played character in Remake. They even gave it a nod in his move set with his neutral jump split kick. That was his GTFO me move in Remake. Love his dash too - he reminded me a lot of Balrog in Remake - and his forward dash does a great job of keeping with the boxing motif. He has Terry Bogard's powwaaa geeyyysa too.

Truth be told, and it is just an opinion, I would like to think part of the reason we even got this game is cause of how popular SOR Remake was. Presuming that to be truth - Thank you Bombergames.
m.sniffles.esq wrote:God, this game is garbage. It's like a flash game made by 22-year-olds who've never played a beat 'em up in their lives, only read about them on wikipedia. Even if this game was free, I'd still feel ripped off. Wait for torrent and pray there's no sources.

Spoiler
Sike! This game is completely fucking awesome in every regard. Anybody hating based on a trailer or a review is straight up clowning themselves.
Great post:D
spmbx

Post by spmbx »

m.sniffles.esq wrote:God, this game is garbage. It's like a flash game made by 22-year-olds who've never played a beat 'em up in their lives, only read about them on wikipedia. Even if this game was free, I'd still feel ripped off. Wait for torrent and pray there's no sources.

Spoiler
Both steam and gog have pretty good refund policies, so I had no problem playing it and still thinking it's basically garbage. Don't need YouTube videos for that
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

Anyone else getting frame drops in offline play? Going to try some things and see if it fixes the issue, or if it's something they need to fix.
Marc

Post by Marc »

Still hovering, 12 levels and a 2 hour clear time scream overkill to me. But yet I just want it.
XBL & Switch: mjparker77 / PSN: BellyFullOfHell
Mischief Maker

Post by Mischief Maker »

Marc wrote:Still hovering, 12 levels and a 2 hour clear time scream overkill to me. But yet I just want it.
Well here's the thing, and people here are going to call me a heretic for saying it, but these Streets of Rage games were made for home systems and were always too damn long and too generous with the extra lives for an arcade-style single-sitting 1CC, and that's why I prefer SoR4's story mode.

It works like a Devil May Cry game. Each stage is played individually starting at zero score and the default number of lives for that difficulty, no continues, it saves your progress between levels, and saves your highest score per stage, awarding it a letter grade. This eliminates brawler fatigue, it encourages even noob players to focus on scoring strategies for those crucial extra lives because they can't credit-spam, and makes it a great "dad game" because you can pop in for five minutes of ultraviolence then pop right back out to handle your responsibilities.

There is a dedicated arcade mode without saving progress if you still want it.
Two working class dudes, one black one white, just baked a tray of ten cookies together.

Then he says to the white dude "Watch out for that black dude, he wants a piece of your cookie!"
guigui

Post by guigui »

Mischief Maker wrote:
Marc wrote:Still hovering, 12 levels and a 2 hour clear time scream overkill to me. But yet I just want it.
Well here's the thing, and people here are going to call me a heretic for saying it, but these Streets of Rage games were made for home systems and were always too damn long and too generous with the extra lives for an arcade-style single-sitting 1CC, and that's why I prefer SoR4's story mode.

It works like a Devil May Cry game. Each stage is played individually starting at zero score and the default number of lives for that difficulty, no continues, it saves your progress between levels, and saves your highest score per stage, awarding it a letter grade. This eliminates brawler fatigue, it encourages even noob players to focus on scoring strategies for those crucial extra lives because they can't credit-spam, and makes it a great "dad game" because you can pop in for five minutes of ultraviolence then pop right back out to handle your responsibilities.

There is a dedicated arcade mode without saving progress if you still want it.

Sounds like Sin & Punishment 2 again.
Bravo jolie Ln, tu as trouvé : l'armée de l'air c'est là où on peut te tenir par la main.
spmbx

Post by spmbx »

Stevens wrote:Anyone else getting frame drops in offline play? Going to try some things and see if it fixes the issue, or if it's something they need to fix.
I had no framedrops, but it's the only game on my system that gives me screentearing with vsync on.
Online on the other hand is a complete disaster, 3/4 games wouldn't connect and the ones that do have been basically unplayable
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

Offline frame rate issues solved. It required me turning off my antivirus, turning off my internet, and actually playing offline.

Just got finished with a pretty lengthy session - played from the train to the end with Adam and then looped it again with Adam. Second clear was maybe around 90 minutes. My stage scores also got better on a fair amount of them.

Thoughts:

Ost - First three stages are dope. Most in the middle are forgettable, but the bar and train stage also come to mind. The last few stages also do not disappoint on the music front.

The last stage is ridiculously cool, particularly the stained glass effect. Really like the progression of the game also the
Spoiler
art gallery
stage was a nice addition.

Second play through I definitely improved a little as far as dodging/countering things. They seem to want you to use your specials a lot.

Annoying shit - the side scroll portion on the ship is annoying as fuck. This isn't Spartan X.

The snake girl boss is kind of weak and not really that great of a fight.

The single most infuriating attack in the game is Barney's grab. Shit is broken as fuck.
Mischief Maker

Post by Mischief Maker »

Oh hey, speaking of the art gallery, I just found out those bottles/grenades thrown by the braless hipster girls can be caught mid-air and thrown back at them.

guigui

Post by guigui »

Mischief Maker wrote: ... braless hipster girls ...
How comes I did not buy the game yet ?
Bravo jolie Ln, tu as trouvé : l'armée de l'air c'est là où on peut te tenir par la main.
MintyTheCat

Post by MintyTheCat »

It looks pretty decent from what I've seen. Just need to ask a mate with a Switch or PS4 to get it so that I can play it.
More Bromances = safer people
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

I've discovered (thanks horheristo) that the sweet spot to cash in your combos is
Spoiler
17 - 25
hits. This changes everything.

Edit - Ok after going in to test I have finally figured out that score isn't based on the length of your combo but rather the amount of damage you deal. I thought 17-25 cause he was using Floyd and he deals much higher damage hence the lower combo counter on cash ins. Once he hits green on most combos he was content to cash in.

The counter color starts white > orange > green > blue > purple?

With this I went into stage one with Adam and easily beat my old score basically hitting green and cashing out. Got the first extend way quicker too. Based on this I'm guessing that a clear in arcade will be a little more accessible than I originally thought when I had little idea of how the scoring worked.

I do wish Axel has a gap closer though. A slow run, a shorter dash than Adam. Something.
Last edited by Stevens on Mon May 04, 2020 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BurlyHeart

Post by BurlyHeart »

Has anyone got an 'S' rank yet? On my second play through (as Blaze), and I've had a couple of Bs but not even got an A yet. I've made it to stage 10 without using a continue, but don't have time for the final 2 stages tonight. Haven't really been using the special attack much, but I guess it's important for a good score and rank.

Blaze's new design is great. Not a fan of how she walks (too narrow steps?) but her stance and idle animation with the flick of the hair is super cool. I do wish she sounded more Latino to fit with her looks. The Japanese-style voice is a little out of place imo.

Made a point to listen to music more carefully after Stevens' praise, and the Art Gallery stage was great. There was another one that I'm singing to myself right now, but I'm not sure where it was (possibly stage 10?). He's also possibly right about Barney's grab, though I've noticed in he is very susceptible to jump attacks, so that's possibly how he should be fought?

I agree with Mischief Maker about the stage scores being the primary focus rather than a traditionally overall score. It was a bold move, but I think it works well. We'll see how it holds up over time though. But I think it was smart, knowing many potential fans of the series are busy nowadays with real life stuff.

Personally loving the game, though I wish it was a tad shorter so I could enjoy a full playthrough easier. Think the graphics and gameplay are overall awesome, and that generally (always?) makes for a great video game. Really interested to see what the harder difficulties feel like, but for now, I will continue on Normal with the other characters. Also hope new design Max, Shiva and Estel become playable at some point (for free preferably). Estel is one of the better new characters imo. I think she's cool as f.
Now known as old man|Burly
YouTube
Shmup Difficulty Lists:
Japan Arcade - To Far Away Times - Perikles
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

BurlyHeart wrote:Has anyone got an 'S' rank yet? On my second play through (as Blaze), and I've had a couple of Bs but not even got an A yet. I've made it to stage 10 without using a continue, but don't have time for the final 2 stages tonight. Haven't really been using the special attack much, but I guess it's important for a good score and rank.

Blaze's new design is great. Not a fan of how she walks (too narrow steps?) but her stance and idle animation with the flick of the hair is super cool. I do wish she sounded more Latino to fit with her looks. The Japanese-style voice is a little out of place imo.

Made a point to listen to music more carefully after Stevens' praise, and the Art Gallery stage was great. There was another one that I'm singing to myself right now, but I'm not sure where it was (possibly stage 10?). He's also possibly right about Barney's grab, though I've noticed in he is very susceptible to jump attacks, so that's possibly how he should be fought?

Personally loving the game, though I wish it was a tad shorter so I could enjoy a full playthrough easier. Think the graphics and gameplay are overall awesome, and that generally (always?) makes for a great video game. Really interested to see what the harder difficulties feel like, but for now, I will continue on Normal with the other characters. Also hope new design Max, Shiva and Estel become playable at some point (for free preferably). Estel is one of the better new characters imo. I think she's cool as f.
No my best is an A so far. I also have not touched Cherry, Blaze, or Floyd yet:D

Barneys are a priority one target when they're on screen. You basically have to get to them first, if you start wailing on him he's done . So I would move him like half a step down in annoyance.

As far as harder difficulties I can't speak form experience. I think I've cleared Remake on hard, and if I did it was with Shiva:D I'm not a super beat em' up player by any means. I know what I've read though and apparently Axel's lack of movement is exposed as the difficulty ramps up.

That's a shame too. I love his design and most of his move set, but his SOR 3 version is superior in almost every way.

Glad you're liking it!
Mischief Maker

Post by Mischief Maker »

I actually did manage an S rank on Stage 1 easy with Axel (21,939 pts), according to my local high score, but I can't remember how. Probably lots of unbroken chains; I remember being surprised at the time because I hadn't managed my health perfectly. The big thing I've been doing with him has been using his doubletap-forward flaming uppercut as an overkill finisher as often as possible, really helps get the hit count high.

This is probably obvious, but take away Barney's taser and you take away his grab ability.

I'm actually more frustrated by the Galsims in the Chinatown dojo who do their knife-charge move using those giant Chinese polearms with insane reach. Even getting hit by the stick end behind them counts.

Stevens

Post by Stevens »

Mischief Maker wrote:I actually did manage an S rank on Stage 1 easy with Axel, according to my local high score, but I can't remember how. Probably lots of unbroken chains; I remember being surprised at the time because I hadn't managed my health perfectly. The big thing I've been doing with him has been using his doubletap-forward flaming uppercut as an overkill finisher as often as possible, really helps get the hit count high.

This is probably obvious, but take away Barney's taser and you take away his grab ability.

I'm actually more frustrated by the Galsims in the Chinatown dojo who do their knife-charge move using those giant Chinese polearms with insane reach. Even getting hit by the stick end behind them counts.
Nice. I didn't realize the taser thing. Good to know.

The hit box on running Galsias is a little borked tbh.

In other news the game has become unplayable. The frame drops have started happening sooner and sooner in the game regardless of graphics settings, the anti virus being on or off, and what I have my laptop set to.

Example - I can Sekiro at max settings on silent, but SOR 4 stutters on performance. I don't get it but I'm pretty sure the problem isn't my laptop since I've read others are having similar issues.
Mischief Maker

Post by Mischief Maker »

Oh yeah, it had to be the combos. Look at the score when this combo cashes out.
Stevens wrote:In other news the game has become unplayable. The frame drops have started happening sooner and sooner in the game regardless of graphics settings, the anti virus being on or off, and what I have my laptop set to.

Example - I can Sekiro at max settings on silent, but SOR 4 stutters on performance. I don't get it but I'm pretty sure the problem isn't my laptop since I've read others are having similar issues.
Is this the steam version? Because I get no stutter at all with my GOG copy. And I've been playing so relentlessly since release that my "attack button" finger is aching like I bruised it or something. Is this what they call "getting old?"

Stevens

Post by Stevens »

Yeah Steam.
it290

Post by it290 »

My new hobby is seeing how often I can do the double grab with Floyd.
We here shall not rest until we have made a drawing-room of your shaft, and if you do not all finally go down to your doom in patent-leather shoes, then you shall not go at all.
YoniArousement

Post by YoniArousement »

With all the textures extracted, Blaze 4 has like 27 panty shot sprites for things like her combo finisher, defense special and jump kicks. Modern Shiva has an unused character select icon and portrait. Roo has a few of his in-game sprites from SOR3, all of which are unused. Roo also has a Santa hat in his folder, suggesting that he would wear it on Christmas day.

SOR4 has a lot of things that tick me off. Garnet's jump kick and Big Ben (Gourmand)'s body splash track your Y-axis, but apparently you can neutral jump through those attacks. Taser cops' grab attack has little to no telegraphing and can grab you out of the air. The thing I cannot excuse at all, is that you can't special out of hitstun. So you're forced to eat a whole combo from the numerous kickboxers. I don't really like the fat sex-changed bikers either, or Donovan's new design.

Tasers should be able to break Hyper Armor, but that would make too much sense. There's no telling when exactly foes' Hyper Armor wears off, and it makes most of them immune to grabs. It seems to exist in place of good A.I.. Without the armor the bosses might be too easy. Diva seems to have her armor activated for the majority of the fight. I was in Anthopants' stream chat and one of the developers confirmed that the Hyper Armor will be toned down a bit. All in all, Fight 'n Rage handled the Hyper Armor much better by limiting it to certain bosses.

Estel 2 and the double Commissioner Gordon's is just stupid. They have way too much health for reinforcements, and lord forbid you get combo'd into their Rugal God Press grab move.

I notice there aren't that many Signals in this game, while they were among the most common enemies in SOR2, the game that SOR4 wants to be in some ways.

Retro characters' frame data is way off from the original. Even Streets of Rage Remake was much more faithful when it came to their frame data.
cj iwakura

Post by cj iwakura »

I didn't even recognize Adam when I saw him, though I was skeptical the moment they said Koshiro wasn't involved(or at best in a small amount).

So which is better, this or Remake?
heli wrote:Why is milestone director in prison ?, are his game to difficult ?
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

Remake.
Last edited by Stevens on Tue May 05, 2020 11:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

cj iwakura wrote:So which is better, this or Remake?
Which one has Roo playable? 8)
Mischief Maker

Post by Mischief Maker »

4 for me, based on enemies not being able to slide outside the playable area alone. This is a game-changer.