Help Stevens pick his next single player game.

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
Stevens

Help Stevens pick his next single player game.

Post by Stevens »

I don't usually post shit like, but I can't make up my fucking mind, and am hoping some of the kind folks here can lend an opinion.

I am looking for a great single player game where the 2nd half isn't less impressive than the 1st (looking at you Dark Souls). Also excessive backtracking need not apply.

Thank you in advance.
You're sure to be in a fine haze about now, but don't think too hard about all of this. Just go out and kill a few beasts. It's for your own good. You know, it's just what hunters do! You'll get used to it.
BIL

Re: Help Stevens pick his next single player game.

Post by BIL »

Not sure how modern you're looking for, but have you played Silent Bomber (PS1)? Classic topdown seek/destroy gone mildly polygonal (camera is consistently well-behaved). Plays like Bomberman meets Soukyugurentai via MGS1's engine. Explode/burn/electrocute/crush and generally ruin an army of assault suits, monster tanks and bioengineered monstrosities. Handles smooth, with sharp controls (including killer lock-on and airdash mechanics) and enduringly immense screen-shaking explosions. One of those uncommonly slick 32bit polygonals I revisit every few years, just to ensure I'm not mis-remembering its performance. No backtracking whatsoever, just linear stage/boss progression, kill 'em all and root out P-CHIPs to build the ultimate pair of demolition gauntlets. One hell of a final boss showdown.

Story and VA is utter camp, as befits the tale of Bomberman versus his arch-enemy Suicide Bomberman. Unfortunately the NA/EU versions have a random crash bug associated with a late, tough boss. Might be better off with the JP one.
it290

Post by it290 »

I'm gonna give another nod to Vanquish. Haven't had that much fun in a while.
We here shall not rest until we have made a drawing-room of your shaft, and if you do not all finally go down to your doom in patent-leather shoes, then you shall not go at all.
Ruldra

Post by Ruldra »

Well, we need some more criteria to help find something you'd like. Give us a genre at least. Or post your backlog so we can pick something out of it.

Once I'm done with my current game I'm planning to play MechCommander 1 next, so I'd recommend that.
[Youtube | 1cc list | Steam]
mastermx wrote:
xorthen wrote:You guys are some hardcore MOFOs and masochists.
This is the biggest compliment you can give to people on this forum.
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

Been playing a bunch of From Soft the last few months. Sekiro/Bloodborne. Not opposed to a Metroid style, but can do without the backtracking.
You're sure to be in a fine haze about now, but don't think too hard about all of this. Just go out and kill a few beasts. It's for your own good. You know, it's just what hunters do! You'll get used to it.
iconoclast

Post by iconoclast »

guigui

Post by guigui »

Hmmm, shall I recommend Subnautica ?

Damn, after doing a lot of Souls like you did, I almost lost the faith in recent games : nothing could compare to the feeling of getting lost and fearing your next move in Lordran.

Nothing until trying to get down 510m under the surface in Subnautica.

For reference, here are the milestones moments of my gamer life :
* clearing all 180 levels on my own : 15 years old in 1996 no internet to help, Lemmings.
* killing that slug hidden in a fall, Sin & Punishment 2
* beating Archstone #4-2, Demon's Souls
* kicking the ladder opening the shortcut to the Undead Burg bonfire, Dark Souls
* destroying everything that moves, with style, Vanquish
* building a Seamoth, and diving down enough to not see the sunlight anymore, Subnautica

So yeah, maybe try Subnautica ? (disable Hunger and Thirst, play without the internet)
Bravo jolie Ln, tu as trouvé : l'armée de l'air c'est là où on peut te tenir par la main.
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

Vanquish is a great game. Seconding the recommendation.

Want something more chill and platformery you can lose yourself in and just explore? Try Lizard for NES.

If you want a turn-based RPG with a Shadowrun style flavour and character/skill customization give Starcrawlers a whirl.
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

This place never disappoints, more than one of those had my interest.

Going to give Subnautica a try. I think it is exactly what I've been looking for.

Thanks everyone.
guigui

Post by guigui »

Oh well, please keep in mind that Subnautica remains your typical survival game, and not a AAA budget game in any way. It has its flaw, but I found they just contribute to remind you that this is only a game, thus allowing some completely unreal stuff, which in turn make the game great.

My first run was screwed up for several reasons (the main being letting thirst and hunger on, it pissed me off very quickly) so I'm posting here some very beginner friendly tips that may improve the experience :
Spoiler
* turn hunger and thirst off then feel free to explore (this is called Freedom mode), unless you're a survival game addict and like to deal with those kind of stuff.
* those explosive met at the beginning are one of the greatest threat in the game, run. You'll see "bigger" threats later.
* build a scanner asap, scan everything. Build a knife asap, knife everything.
* build an habitat builder asap, then build a basic room close to surface, hatch to come in, solar panel, and lots of lockers to store all the stuff you cannot refrain from gathering. Then feel the urge to build the greatest base ever.
* enjoy the scenery.
Bravo jolie Ln, tu as trouvé : l'armée de l'air c'est là où on peut te tenir par la main.
drauch

Post by drauch »

Stevens wrote:This place never disappoints, more than one of those had my interest.

Going to give Subnautica a try. I think it is exactly what I've been looking for.

Thanks everyone.
Subnautica is great. Super relaxing, yet also super tense at times when you get deep in it! Just finished it up earlier this year myself.
BIL wrote: "Small sack, LOTS OF CUM" - Nikola Tesla
Mischief Maker

Post by Mischief Maker »

Funny you should ask, as my Top 10 Quarantine Games List just went up at caltrops.
Two working class dudes, one black one white, just baked a tray of ten cookies together.

An oligarch walks in and grabs nine cookies for himself.

Then he says to the white dude "Watch out for that black dude, he wants a piece of your cookie!"
null1024

Post by null1024 »

BIL wrote: Story and VA is utter camp, as befits the tale of Bomberman versus his arch-enemy Suicide Bomberman. Unfortunately the NA/EU versions have a random crash bug associated with a late, tough boss. Might be better off with the JP one.
Wait, does that happen on the NTSC release too? I've only heard of that happening on PAL.
Come check out my website, I guess. Random stuff I've worked on over the last two decades.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Oh crap, I may have mis-spoke. Seen it happen first-hand on PAL, but only heard second-hand about NTSCU. It may well be PAL-only. Never seen it once in many years of the NTSCJ disc.
null1024

Post by null1024 »

BIL wrote:Oh crap, I may have mis-spoke. Seen it happen first-hand on PAL, but only heard second-hand about NTSCU. It may well be PAL-only. Never seen it once in many years of the NTSCJ disc.
damn
I hope it actually is PAL only. Really should go finish playing the game, it's definitely solid gold.
Nice to know that it definitely doesn't happen on the JP release though, but then you don't get that amazingly corny dub. :lol:
Come check out my website, I guess. Random stuff I've worked on over the last two decades.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Indeed, BLUE MIST SQUAD's English VA is a terrible thing to miss! :mrgreen:

"You'll PAY for whatcha did to our buddies!"

"Why?! Why can't we kill one soldier who's on foot?!"

Benoit's English VA is actually pretty good, I think. Has an easy menace that makes me think of Kaneto Shiozawa (JP Grey Fox, Random Hajile, Rei from Hokuto no Ken, Oberstein from Legend of the Galactic Heroes and a million other classic roles).

"Hey, Jutah... how does it feel?"