Does the european GBC Klax really contain Robinett's Adv.?

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
Turrican

Does the european GBC Klax really contain Robinett's Adv.?

Post by Turrican »

Mike Mika:

In the European version of KLAX, we hid a complete remastered version of Atari Adventure in the cart

See here:

https://tcrf.net/Klax_(Game_Boy_Color)

Then here:

https://www.arcadeattack.co.uk/mike-mika/

I asked Mika on social networks but he doesn't remember the password. The VCS Adventure should be in the european version of the game, which was published, it's multi language, and I own a CIB exemplar of it: however I'm not sure it was dumped.

How to guess the correct password?
X - P - B
BrianC

Re: Does the european GBC Klax really contain Robinett's Adv

Post by BrianC »

Turrican wrote:Mike Mika:

In the European version of KLAX, we hid a complete remastered version of Atari Adventure in the cart

See here:

https://tcrf.net/Klax_(Game_Boy_Color)

Then here:

https://www.arcadeattack.co.uk/mike-mika/

I asked Mika on social networks but he doesn't remember the password. The VCS Adventure should be in the european version of the game, which was published, it's multi language, and I own a CIB exemplar of it: however I'm not sure it was dumped.

How to guess the correct password?
The only dumped rom I have seen doesn't have it and its rumored to only be in a prototype.
Turrican

Post by Turrican »

BrianC wrote: The only dumped rom I have seen doesn't have it and its rumored to only be in a prototype.
Please elaborate Brian. Did you accert the dump was of an [E] multilanguage rom? And you know, it's not readily available of course, but triggered with a password input. Password has four slots and five symbols iirc, so checking them all is nearly impossible.
X - P - B
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

There's a bunch of confusing information, but from what I heard the EU version is exactly the same as the US version and the version with Adventure wasn't actually released.

edit: No multi-language for the US cart or rom, so that "info" I read when attempting to find more about the EU version was incorrect. The US No-Intro ROM is labelled as (US, Europe) for some reason. I'll see if I can find the password since I remember seeing it somewhere.

cheatcodes.com claims this is the code:

Enter Square, Yellow Alien, Green Alien, Yellow Alien as a password.
Turrican

Post by Turrican »

Ah Brian, thanks for the message. It seems I screwed up this one: I booted my european cartridge in the gbc and guess what, it doesn't have a language selector... I'm not sure when I got the impression that it had it.

Since the booting titles seem identical, I'd say there's a fair chance that ROMs around are correct in labeling this as an US-EU single file.

I tested all the passwords at cutting room and they work as intended: then tested yours and indeed the game freezes which leads me to the final conclusion that the password was the correct one, but at the last minute the Adventure recreation must have been removed.

Damn shame if you ask me! I was curious to try it.
X - P - B
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Thanks for the info. It's cool that it still has some hidden stuff info and the port of Klax itself seems to be a good one. Definitely much better than both GB b/w ports. I also heard the GBA port of Klax with the shoddy port of Marble Madness is incomplete and repeats early on.
Turrican

Post by Turrican »

Oh boy, those GBA paks were really lame. Gauntlet was probably the only decent one.

Yeah it's cool that GBC did a respectable Klax. Still not the Lynx but good nonetheless.
X - P - B