COVID-19 in your part of the world

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
quash

Re: COVID-19 virus

Post by quash »

Randorama wrote:I already experienced people mobbing me because they thought I was bringing back the virus from Italy, by the way. What you US members are talking about, again? Your own navels? Congrats, as always.

Wow, rude. I understand this is a stressful time and all, but if you're gonna be a neurotic weirdo, could you at least be polite about it?
Here in China, in case you missed this tiny detail, by chance (or: there are two people exposed to the issue, in this thread: Xer Xian and I. Everybody else does not belong to the discussion, frankly).
It's already considered a global pandemic by the powers that be, so really, everyone could potentially be exposed. Your relatives in Italy could be spreading it across the Mediterranean as we bicker about it on a gaming forum.

If you wanna provide a ground level report from the origin of the virus, then by all means, but I kinda agree with the other dude that venting about your personal life isn't exactly valuable to the discussion.
Randorama

Post by Randorama »

ED-057 wrote:I see this as more of a threat to business and the general order than to health. Our corporate overlords are not prepared to deal with huge quarantines or large numbers of peons not showing up to work.

In the USA, the 2020 census is coming up which traditionally involves census workers going door to door to gather data.

Better stock up on popcorn.
Well, nobody really is. The Chinese government allowed workers to key factories (say, Huawei, Pirelli, probably Nike...) to go back to work and to avoid further economical disasters. Imagine the fun of going back to work and knowing that your buddies might have just come back from Wuhan or province.

Solidarity is important and people may understand this, but the reptile brain will generally tell individuals that there is a walking risk in the office/factory/whatsoever.

The harsh truth is that production systems worldwide rely on stocks of humans not getting sick, not getting hungry, and possibly not faltering after 10+ hour-shifts. Oh, and possibly living and sleeping right beside the workplace, staunchily breeding replacements for when work will inevitably kill off the aforementioned stocks.

We might add jokes on how detached this is from reality, but then again we might spend entire existencies on Capitalism and its troublesome relation with, uh, reality.

Cue in comment: "but what about China? Isn't China Communist?" Ah, the jokes could be endless.
Chomsky, Buckminster Fuller, Yunus and Glass would have played Battle Garegga, for sure.
Randorama

Post by Randorama »

quash wrote:
Wow, rude. I understand this is a stressful time and all, but if you're gonna be a neurotic weirdo, could you at least be polite about it?
Yes, random attacks are rude, but are you telling me that I cannot be a neurotic weirdo, not even in cases like this? This is outrageous, I daresay.

It's already considered a global pandemic by the powers that be, so really, everyone could potentially be exposed. Your relatives in Italy could be spreading it across the Mediterranean as we bicker about it on a gaming forum.
I have problems with the powers that be...it is a problem in some countries and could become truly global. Whether this will be the case or not, it is a matter of speed of decision processes in the countries in which contagion vectors have arrived. Talking about "apocalypse" when the virus still has to arrive in country X strikes me as...too early.

Media in general ("democratic", "autocratic": I cannot see a difference) seem to have gone completely berserk in blowing a definitely nasty flu problem out of any proportions whatsoever.

...and sorry, but you may believe that this is a bioweapon, but if there were to be the case, it is abismaly inefficient. Besides, an unclear percentage of Chinese blames POTUS himself for releasing it in Wuhan.

If you want to believe that the powers that be needed to inject more panic world-wide, on the other hand, then we can wear our tin-foil hats with pride. Again, drinks and cigarettes are infinitely more lethal, but I am still waiting for a "smoking apocalypse!" headline.

My 2 cents:

I personally believe that this kind of epidemics could explode any time in China, because each city has these big markets for exotic meats, quack health remedies and the like ("bat blood", "tiger balm", etc.), and the hygienic conditions are abysmal. You don't go there and get cholera: cholera gets you and beats the shit out of you, to put it in a simplistic manner.

The local (i.e. provincial level) governments in China do not however say anything about these matters, because the local health ministries are still lagging badly when it comes to the lucrative business of "traditional medicine and food".

As far a I know, these markets are also economic gray zones: in a country in which everyone pays by apps and thus money is easily traceable, these places usually only accept cash. There is a Chinese grassroots movement that is even attempting to change the general attitudes to these matters, again as far as I know.

Besides, my relatives are locked in place and not moving out of sheer fear...if they show up at your place, feel free to act as per instructions, thanks.

They are healthy, but if something happens and they want to visit you, I will let you know (too much gallows humour? Sorry, but this was the perfect lead-up!).
If you wanna provide a ground level report from the origin of the virus, then by all means, but I kinda agree with the other dude that venting about your personal life isn't exactly valuable to the discussion.
...and I kinda agree that extracting one comment out of context and discussing it, while ignoring the rest of my post, is not on topic (I swear: I don't even have a wifebeater).

Just in case, but: are you claiming that I cannot add random notes of colour to my own posts?

Please feel free to point me out which rules of the forum say so, and report me to the moderators and whatnot.

...if I don't get arrested for chewing gum too quickly, or something to that effect.
Last edited by Randorama on Sun Mar 08, 2020 6:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chomsky, Buckminster Fuller, Yunus and Glass would have played Battle Garegga, for sure.
quash

Post by quash »

All I'm saying is that you're inviting off topic discussion by injecting posts that are otherwise worth their weight in gold with off color humor. Hell, I laughed at that bit, but it was easily the least necessary part of your post.

If nobody else, think of the archeologists who will be reading these posts as part of their studies on the pre-apocalyptic era. They don't wanna hear about your wife any more than most of us do.
Randorama

Post by Randorama »

quash wrote:All I'm saying is that you're inviting off topic discussion by injecting posts that are otherwise worth their weight in gold with off color humor. Hell, I laughed at that bit, but it was easily the least necessary part of your post.
If nobody else, think of the archeologists who will be reading these posts as part of their studies on the pre-apocalyptic era. They don't wanna hear about your wife any more than most of us do.
...I am trying to resist but I cannot. I swear, last one piece of non-sense humour!

Well, I remember reading that the Pompeii archeologists found literally tens of thousands of letters chronicling the daily lives of people before the eruption, and they were lovely snapshots of quotidian life, such as "I cheated on my wife with this hot woman from the brothel" or "I must pay back the drinks to the magistrate" and so on.

We are on perfect course to enter History with the capital letter, Shmups fellows!

(I am going to delete this post some time later, I promise).
kitten

Post by kitten »

Randorama wrote:(or: there are two people exposed to the issue, in this thread: Xer Xian and I. Everybody else does not belong to the discussion, frankly).
your wife's period blood is probably also a discussion that belonged between only two people lol

rando, i am extremely baffled by some of what you're extrapolating by me going "hey, extremely weird thing you said, my dude." if you look at what you said, it's a pretty weird and pretty weirdly phrased aside. i was just taken aback for a moment.
~Imagination and memory are but one thing, which for diverse considerations have diverse names~
Image | Image
~*~*~*~*~*~* If there's a place that I could be ~ Then I'd be another memory *~*~*~*~*~*~
Vanguard

Post by Vanguard »

Looks like the reason why the WHO hasn't declared this a pandemic is because the World Bank has something set up where investors can invest money into a fund intended to be used in case of a pandemic. While their money is in this fund investors collect interest payments on it, but once a pandemic occurs they lose their initial investment. If no pandemic occurs before July 15, 2020 then the investors get their original investments back.
Randorama

Post by Randorama »

kitten wrote: rando, i am extremely baffled by some of what you're extrapolating by me going "hey, extremely weird thing you said, my dude." if you look at what you said, it's a pretty weird and pretty weirdly phrased aside. i was just taken aback for a moment.
K, sorry but I posted something like 10k words in 24 hours or so, and I did not post any markers for irony (maybe we should have small gallows icons? Ahem...).

I am presupposing a lot rather than asserting it, also because humour, especially the gallows variety, requires readers to figure out what the author is presupposing (success rate may vary, agreed).

I wish that I were this productive when writing papers, to be fair.

Let me try to recap:

My wife has shown a clear form of uncontrolled panic by connecting completely unrelated health problems to Co-VID19. Yes, we called the doc, and the doc said that she has something else and wrong diagnoses in this kind of situation would be paramount to suicide.

Also, the harsh language is originally a quote from late grandma, who once gloriously said "Oh, does your wife still [Snap here! The rest is too nasty!]".

Please forgive me but I grew up in that kind of environment in which verbal uppercuts were the daily diet (you know, rednecks from a small town in the Italian mountains: T-Rex levels of thick skins were expected especially at home). These are the moments in which I forget that normal people may not...enjoy them.

Besides, gentler language would not have communicated how pissed off I was. Royally trashy and offensive? Yes. Effective? Too. Do I use this kind of language often? No, and I never use ethnic slurs, but for the rest you may be terrified by what I can say with the sole purpose of shocking people (Aside: I spent five years in Australia and people could also be that nasty for endearing purposes).

This is the personal domestic case, but the police is now arresting people displaying this kind of panic-based behaviour on a regular basis. Medicine (last year) students and trainees have been drafted in by the government to face the gigantic volume of psychological stress that people are facing.

Just to give you an idea, I will probably need to train medicine students from my Uni on how to give counseling in English. I am a linguist, but let's say that my English skills and pleasant Italian manners are much appreciated [insert stone-throwing at the author of this post after this comment].

My two cents are that I have been in contact with people who have been exposed to the general "panic pandemic" since day zero, so in terms of "stress load" I am seeing that the psychological toll is far bigger than the physical toll (but the economic one will be severe...).

By week 7 (if I am counting correctly), most people are snapping over trivial and not-so trivial matters, and thus under- and over-reporting situations on a daily basis.

Personally I am snapping over this issue, because a general problem with human beings is to try to "contagiate" calm people with one's panic in this kind of situations.

A looks at B and says: "I am freaking out! Why you are not freaking out?!" and B is under pressure to freak out ("Shared a pain, half a gain", an Italian proverb says).

Honestly, I cannot bring myself to panic about what might be a nasty flu, which can be avoided by standard prevention measures. I indeed am at loggerheads with family and relatives (and colleagues, and building administration...).

I generally suggest to deflect whatever panic you detect in others with numbers, rationality, and a well-oiled axe if language does not bring the point home. If my experience is anything to go by, workplaces will be pure chaos if the threat becomes real, for a week or so. After that, you may discover how to work while being stressed with a big structural problem looming large.

For the global situation...

As the situation is now outside certain countries (i.e. Italy, South Korea, Iran, China), the chances that the virus will spread and be a serious issue are, as far as I can see, unclear.

I perfectly understand that getting sick in the US is not exactly fun, but then the problem is not the virus, but the pregress economical and political situation of the country, I would say.

I am also sorry, but you guys in the US seem to be ruled by media that exist only to instill fear, and most the population is happy to indulge. You are not under threat yet, and the bigger issues are still pretty much in the background.

If you still want to reason with a model, then numbers in Italy may be more indicative than numbers in China for "western" countries, for the simple fact that China works differently.

This is an entire country in which everything is built on the "community" unit, in the sense that each city block can become a potentially isolated social unit (since forever: claims exist that this model of urban layout was invented during the warring states period).

Having, say, one own's personal house and garden is very rare, and thus movement can be controlled very easily, for better or for worse. We do have beatiful balconies, though (ahem!).

My wild conjecture is that New York offers a good model of what may happen in big U.S. cities, or more in general cities with big buildings and delimited communities. Italy may be a good model for other types of human settlements.

If the risk arises, buy masks now, practice keeping one metre of distance from people, and turn off the media. Nobody ever needs panic (and yes, keep your lungs healthy). Set yourself at peace that some people will snap and you will want to kill them. Vent here, if anything: it's free.
Licorice

Post by Licorice »

I have been worried about this from day 1, and I was never worried about anything else before (SARS, MERS, Swine flu, Ebola etc.).

I was encouraged by the Chinese and Korean response, they threw everything they had at it, and it worked.

I'm very discouraged others aren't emulating. Or are emulating too late. I blame petty tribalism and Sinophobia for this.

I am not worried for myself very much, but I am for the older people around me.

Like others, I also fear societal collapse, although that is less likely on a broad scale.

The best and most likely scenario is looking like careful rationing of care and proportionate response. This will minimize the effects to broader society, at the cost of many people's health and some people's lives.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Randorama wrote:K, sorry but I posted something like 10k words in 24 hours or so, and I did not post any markers for irony (maybe we should have small gallows icons? Ahem...).
TBH when you said "put off the balcony," I pictured a flawless release German suplex, wifey impacting a well-stocked dumpster three stories down, a flock of pigeons bursting out John Woo-style - cut to bloodied hubbie wrenching a hilt-deep steak knife out of his shoulder and draining a quart of scotch, with liberal splashing for disinfectant purposes - only to dive for cover as the mother-in-law kicks the door down and lets rip with an uzi.

I always assume the best-case scenario, it's a weakness. :o :cool:
MintyTheCat

Post by MintyTheCat »

dan76 wrote:I don't really know what to think about all this. On the one hand it is a new virus which is killing people, there's no vaccine and it's easy to catch. On the other it think it's been way overblown by the internet. This is the paranoid world we live in now. I don't know how to filter through the shit to get to truth or facts.

Is this just a shitty thing or should it be on our minds constantly? Does it underscore every waking fucking hour? You would think so given the amount of panic and bullshit coming from certain news outlets and the web. Right now I think we are all going to come into contact with it, the whole isolation thing will go out the window soon. I'm assuming I'll get it at some point.
I was ill during February too - took me clean out for two weeks. Cold, dizzy, unable to walk - had to literally crawl. But, if you are reasonably healthy you'll for the very most part survive.

The last few times I've been out in Berlin they actually spray our hands at the door with some disinfectant :D But, yes, why increase risk?

I only really care about the numbers - the percentages and the risk of death profiles - that reassures me. If I really need to be paranoid then I'll worry about being fatally wounded by a falling asteroid. Life is short and fear is cheap but it's a robber of life.
More Bromances = safer people
XtraSmiley

Post by XtraSmiley »

Wow, I came to this thread out of morbid curiosity. Thread delivers on so many fronts!
Randorama

Post by Randorama »

BIL wrote:
TBH when you said "put off the balcony," I pictured a flawless release German suplex, wifey impacting a well-stocked dumpster three stories down, a flock of pigeons bursting out John Woo-style - cut to bloodied hubbie wrenching a hilt-deep steak knife out of his shoulder and draining a quart of scotch, with liberal splashing for disinfectant purposes - only to dive for cover as the mother-in-law kicks the door down and lets rip with an uzi.

I always assume the best-case scenario, it's a weakness. :o :cool:
Waitamminute, I didn't even realise that a TO was missing (I thought that I wrote "off TO the balcony").

Prepositions are important, I agree (...as a linguist that studies them, even), but how can you people think that I am so nasty to put people off balconies? Wasn't it obvious that I simply made a typo?! Do I really sound like a serial killer, to you all?!? (Please tick Y/Y/Why, what else?/Go and look at yourself in a mirror and then answer this, sucker).

To be honest, my typos are also the stuff of legend. And you get them for free, too. If I don't write something on a word file first, the chances that the text will not read like shit are quite slim, irrespective of the language I use (and I can write shit in quite a few languages). Feel free to insinuate that they are all freudian lapses, of course. My admin officers at work love how I am so superb at missing boxes to be ticked and signatures, too.
MintyTheCat wrote:I only really care about the numbers - the percentages and the risk of death profiles - that reassures me. If I really need to be paranoid then I'll worry about being fatally wounded by a falling asteroid. Life is short and fear is cheap but it's a robber of life.

Numbers floating around are not adjusted for population segments.

If you have an history of pregress illnesses or other well-attested problems, or contacts that are seniors and/or in delicate health conditions, the risk may be consistently higher than what it seems to be the case now (roughly 3.4% or so in Wuhan, for instance).

Then again, my late grandparents took flu vaccines each year from their 60th birthday onwards, and lived until their late '80s. Flus are tricky business. Panic and fear are sleazy business (or else, the media would not profit billions from them).
MintyTheCat

Post by MintyTheCat »

Randorama wrote:
MintyTheCat wrote:I only really care about the numbers - the percentages and the risk of death profiles - that reassures me. If I really need to be paranoid then I'll worry about being fatally wounded by a falling asteroid. Life is short and fear is cheap but it's a robber of life.

Numbers floating around are not adjusted for population segments.

If you have an history of pregress illnesses or other well-attested problems, or contacts that are seniors and/or in delicate health conditions, the risk may be consistently higher than what it seems to be the case now (roughly 3.4% or so in Wuhan, for instance).

Then again, my late grandparents took flu vaccines each year from their 60th birthday onwards, and lived until their late '80s. Flus are tricky business. Panic and fear are sleazy business (or else, the media would not profit billions from them).
They are profiles - as I hinted at and stated. And, they don't apply to me.

Way, way more people die of drug-abuse and misuse, and in fact more people die of the standard strains of the Flu as it is. Honestly, this is blown all out of proportion as usual and I don't feel any fear: I go out, I touch people, breathe the communal air - the fear is more dangerous than anything else. And, given that it's a strain of Flu and knowing what I know about how trialing works it's a matter of time before a cure is found. Sure, people do die - that's part of the 'human race' concept - it's mixed and some will die. Just consider this: why is it that nearly all the japanese ladies that I dated had all manner of allergies but basically none of the other women I dated of other nationalities did? I reckon it's because Europe got hit with the plagues several times over and it hardened us all up and now we are that much more resilient to it. Is it unfair: yep but it's just how it is.

It's a media frenzy and I'm sure that had I have known back in October 2019 I'd have bought Stock in Unilever.

This seems pertinent:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-oUAekdWSO4
Randorama

Post by Randorama »

MintyTheCat wrote:
They are profiles - as I hinted at and stated. And, they don't apply to me.

Way, way more people die of drug-abuse and misuse, and in fact more people die of the standard strains of the Flu as it is. Honestly, this is blown all out of proportion as usual and I don't feel any fear: I go out, I touch people, breathe the communal air - the fear is more dangerous than anything else. And, given that it's a strain of Flu and knowing what I know about how trialing works it's a matter of time before a cure is found.
Yes, and I also stated before you did, alcohol abuse and poor diet choices are far more lethal, even if not as much as the media, at a global level.

Not because I stated it, of course, but because they rack up more fatalities, according to any numbers we can dig up and report (see my previous posts before quoting me, please. Too long? The hilarious typos are worth it. Why do that? Because I am the almighty Recap! Now, please say "Yossi island!" With me...).

Re: Europeans and resilience.

Digging up the numbers is a nightmare so I also go the "very vague" route, but Asian countries, for the most part, still have large parts of the local populations to be smokers who seldom practice sports, work too much, and eat shittier than most people believe. Air is also a tad dirtier, too.

And then we can repeat ad nauseam that the media need to live off something, so they might need people to believe that panic & fear are useful to face whatever issues life can challenge us with. I don't think it would be inappropriate to do so.
ZacharyB

Post by ZacharyB »

I'm disappointed in civilization's slow reaction to this, as well as defeatist and bored viewpoints of it. It's a natural disaster, sure, but it's unique in that it's commuted directly through our behavior.

None of us were alive or had the technology to stop Influenza, but now that we had this chance, we've squandered it. If it ends up in the ecosystem as someone else here suggested, it will be there for you when you age up and enter the 15% death rate bracket, too. To say nothing of the people who become next in the chain of infection, continuing the infection on into history like Conway's game of Life, until it kills someone there down the line. But some guys want their Ferraris a few months earlier, so, keep all infection routes open for as long as possible.

Just displaying humanity's (a loose term, for sure) lack of foresight again. We're supposed to be decreasing the number of things that kill us over time, not the other way around.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

well it's basically killed my job.
so it's lethal in that respect.. sigh.
1cc List - Youtube - You emptylock my heart
GaijinPunch

Post by GaijinPunch »

brentsg wrote: I have to think that "control your controllables" is the best motto here. I do what I can to avoid the flu, but I don't let it run my life. It won't be any different here.
Actually I believe the recommended tactic is to sell your cave kits.
RegalSin wrote:New PowerPuff Girls. They all have evil pornstart eyelashes.
brentsg

Post by brentsg »

GaijinPunch wrote:
brentsg wrote: I have to think that "control your controllables" is the best motto here. I do what I can to avoid the flu, but I don't let it run my life. It won't be any different here.
Actually I believe the recommended tactic is to sell your cave kits.
If Cave kits wind up being the cure for this thing I’m not getting caught flat footed.
Breaking news: Dodonpachi Developer Cave Releases Hello Kitty Game
6t8k

Post by 6t8k »

BIL wrote:They're TURNIN' ALL THE BATS GAY :O
With the bats gay, the riders coughing and the police busy closing off cities, the world truly is in a worrisome state.
drauch

Post by drauch »

I hope Tenga eggs don't come with bat AIDS :(
BIL wrote: "Small sack, LOTS OF CUM" - Nikola Tesla
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

BIL wrote:Worried about my folks and my dog, they're old. Turned a cruise ship away which was pretty tight. As for me my stiff pecs and massive hog will obliterate Chinese Bat AIDS on contact, so Winnie better get back to the ol' bioweapons R&D drawing board, naw mean.
:lol:

Then maybe scientists should take samples from your PECS and DONG, and create a HYPER VAXXEEN that's stronger than a bull 8) and would make short work of these bats AIDS viruses 8) anihilating them like a vulgar wave of zakkos...
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

FinalBaton wrote: create a HYPER VAXXEEN that's stronger than a bull 8)
ppl be injecting BIL jooce straight to the veins
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

Blinge wrote:
FinalBaton wrote: create a HYPER VAXXEEN that's stronger than a bull 8)
ppl be injecting BIL jooce straight to the veins
finally this is the time to grow the ninja gaiden corps. Imagine a whole population inoculated against bitch tears and 'nintendoo hard'.
Ixmucane2

Post by Ixmucane2 »

Meanwhile in Italy, prison riots because visits have come to an abrupt end. About 6 dead and 60 on the run.
brentsg

Post by brentsg »

The biggest weakness here is stupid people.

Today's news in my area.. a young person returned from Italy and began to get sick. Test results are a presumptive positive and the family was ordered to self quarantine on Thursday.

On Saturday the father took his other daughter to a "father daughter" dance at a large hotel, spent time at the daughter's friend's house, and made a stop at a local coffee shop. I think this was the the first case in Missouri and it took all of 2 days for selfish and stupid to take over.
Breaking news: Dodonpachi Developer Cave Releases Hello Kitty Game
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Sunday mass, friday prayers, shabbat.

Imagine how much disease is spread every week!!
MintyTheCat

Post by MintyTheCat »

Blinge wrote:Sunday mass, friday prayers, shabbat.

Imagine how much disease is spread every week!!
You forget the Sunday Orgy special too - reminds of that Queensryche Song: Spreading the Disease - very instructional so it was ;)
XtraSmiley

Post by XtraSmiley »

brentsg wrote:The biggest weakness here is stupid people.

Today's news in my area.. a young person returned from Italy and began to get sick. Test results are a presumptive positive and the family was ordered to self quarantine on Thursday.

On Saturday the father took his other daughter to a "father daughter" dance at a large hotel, spent time at the daughter's friend's house, and made a stop at a local coffee shop. I think this was the the first case in Missouri and it took all of 2 days for selfish and stupid to take over.
Yes, also the party was at the Ritz Carlton and the family is wealthy, so I hope they get sued to hell and back.
WelshMegalodon

Post by WelshMegalodon »

Remember when we were wiping out diseases instead of going out of our way to spread them? Jesus.
Indie hipsters: "Arcades are so dead"
Finite Continues? Ain't that some shit.
RBelmont wrote:A little math shows that if you overclock a Pi3 to about 3.4 GHz you'll start to be competitive with PCs from 2002. And you'll also set your house on fire