shmups.system11.org

Shmups Forum

* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Fri Feb 26, 2021 9:06 am View unanswered posts
View active topics

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 974 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 29, 30, 31, 32, 33
 Post subject: Re: COVID-19 in your part of the world
PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:23 pm 

KindGrind wrote:
What is wrong with the human race?

Where do you want to start?

My theory on it has always been that people do or don't grow out of the selfishness of childhood to different degrees. The issue (in a very generalized sense) is that the world does not effectively teach children the path to emotional maturity.

But I digress, this is supposed to be about Covid.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 1:00 am 

vol.2 wrote:
KindGrind wrote:

Where do you want to start?

My theory on it has always been that people do or don't grow out of the selfishness of childhood to different degrees. The issue (in a very generalized sense) is that the world does not effectively teach children the path to emotional maturity.

But I digress, this is supposed to be about Covid.

Interesting take! Feels like greed to me, pure and simple. Stealing material property for quick $ I can fathom - stealing a family pet to sell to another unscrupulous (or unsuspecting) family I cannot wrap my head around.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 1:30 am 

This latest national lockdown is ... very difficult mentally. I'm not sure how much longer I can take this, I'm feeling as rough now as when I had a breakdown some years ago (work stuff). Fucking fascists. State media constantly broadcasting doom, government being evasive over questions about when it will even end, police being guided to be harsher to the point where they harass people doing innocent things like having a coffee and a walk. I don't even particularly want to be around groups of people, just some -illusion- of freedom would be enough. You know, being able to drive to the coast and look at the sea, then come back. Just anything except more of this.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 1:51 am 

KindGrind wrote:

People are getting crazier and it would be naive to expect otherwise.

A little under 2 weeks ago at 6am in the pitch dark, I heard a noise from our letterbox. This isn't unusual as sometimes spam leaflet distributors like to get it done when it's quiet. 10 minutes later I heard a more persistent noise, I went into the hall and found someone was trying to crush their hands through our letterbox while staring into the hallway. At some point they fell over and scratched a car I might be having to return. They also stood and clawed softly at the door, and even when I (in a raised voice) said I was calling the police to help them, there was no response at all, they just kept leaning on the door, clawing, then trying to climb through the letterbox again etc. As soon as I turned the light off they wandered away. Undoubtedly some kind of serious metal problem and/or drugs.

It's going to get worse, I live in a nice area. Stealing dogs doesn't even surprise me.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 7:10 pm 

So i got first shot of Russian vaccine.
My temp jumped to 37.3-38.3, so far no other side effects.
It was only ~36 hours.

Second shot at 19.02

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 11:37 pm 

Heard from my folks that my sister (New Jersey) has tested positive for covid. She only has light cold like symptoms. No fever at all. This virus is a sneaky little shit.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 11:40 pm 

Hope she makes out all right.

My smell and taste are returning, verrrrry slowly still. Plenty of specific flavors I still can't taste and smell is very faint, and at its strongest when something is steaming (must have something to do with the water vapor). It kind of sucks it's taking so long but I try to tell myself that I have far more now than I did at the start of the month when I was quarantining.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 2:40 am 

EmperorIng wrote:
It kind of sucks it's taking so long but I try to tell myself that I have far more now than I did at the start of the month when I was quarantining.

That does suck. Literally losing ones senses doesn't sound like any fun at all.

Good to hear that it's coming back though, that's at least the right direction.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 1:51 pm 

EmperorIng wrote:
Hope she makes out all right.

My smell and taste are returning, verrrrry slowly still.

I got Bells Palsy back in 2005. The first sign about 12 hours before I lost all mobility on the left side of my face was I lost the sense of taste. Three month later I regained about 85 - 90% of muscle use in my face and more importantly I could taste again. That entire time I was far more worried I wouldn't be able to taste than anything else.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:43 pm 

I consider this Covid related, because it's directly related to the effects of the lockdown.

Yesterday, the son of a friend took his own life as a result of metal distress over isolation. He was in school, and staying in a dorm. There wasn't any specific warning or unusual behavior. He was always a quiet kid, so I'm not surprised that he didn't try to reach out. I watched him grow up from the time he was just a baby, and he was as gentle of a soul as I have even known. We were not especially close, owing to his extreme shyness, but he was a part of our family circle, and it's tremendously sad for all of us.

If you have friends and family who you know to be less skilled in reaching out, perhaps consider contacting people that you would not normally. The winter, I believe, has been especially difficult, and the spring time is when this kind of tragedy often occurs.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 3:49 am 

^ terrible way to lose someone. sorry for your loss.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 6:41 am 

vol.2 wrote:
I consider this Covid related, because it's directly related to the effects of the lockdown.

Yesterday, the son of a friend took his own life as a result of metal distress over isolation. He was in school, and staying in a dorm. There wasn't any specific warning or unusual behavior. He was always a quiet kid, so I'm not surprised that he didn't try to reach out. I watched him grow up from the time he was just a baby, and he was as gentle of a soul as I have even known. We were not especially close, owing to his extreme shyness, but he was a part of our family circle, and it's tremendously sad for all of us.

If you have friends and family who you know to be less skilled in reaching out, perhaps consider contacting people that you would not normally. The winter, I believe, has been especially difficult, and the spring time is when this kind of tragedy often occurs.

It's a very hard line to walk, between giving quieter kids their space and making sure they're not suffering in that. My condolences bud.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 4:39 pm 

rapoon wrote:
sorry for your loss.

BIL wrote:
My condolences bud.

Thanks. Yeah, it's hard to know if it's right to reach out or not, especially with the super introverts.

It certainly is forcing me to reevaluate my other relationships and think about anyone vulnerable that I might be forgetting about. It's just so easy to be swept away by my own isolation and my own pandemic inconveniences that I can easily forget to keep up with others who might be less equipped to handle the situation than I am.

Weird situation, waiting for a virtual funeral to start. Covid.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 6:36 pm 

That is something I was worried about when the lock downs started.

That really sucks. :(

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 974 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 29, 30, 31, 32, 33