HELP:Xbox360 won't let me play my own game. Family settings?

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
greg

HELP:Xbox360 won't let me play my own game. Family settings?

Post by greg »

Help Request!

A former coworker gave me a 360 a couple of years ago along with several games. I never hooked it up to the internet, but just created my own local user profile named "Greg" and I've been using that this whole time. Eventually I learned how to remove his account from the 360.

I found out in order to do the whole DLC thing I had to create an xbox live account. It gave me errors while trying to do this on the 360, so I did it online. I just forgot about it this whole while. I don't know why I couldn't just make the pre-existing Greg account go active on xbox live. (I really don't get this. Before this, the most recent home console I'd bought was a PS2 back in '04.)

I bought Dead or Alive 5 Ultimate online and it came today. I loaded up using my Greg account. It appeared that everything was ready to go and that I could play. But it said stuff about downloading content, so I tried connecting to my xbox live account I'd created a long time ago but forgot about. I backed out of the game to the OS screen. I chose "download profile" and I finally managed to download the online profile onto my 360. (I was hoping I could have just connected my Greg profile to this online profile... did I miss something?) So then I went back to DOA5 and now it says it won't let me play the game. It says my family settings on my xbox live account won't let me play it. What?

So I am at account.xbox.com/en-us/Profile looking at my profile, and there's no checkbox saying "I'm just a kid under the age of 18." I don't see any family settings. I just see the following:
-Home -Profile -Friends -My Games -Clubs -Trending on Xbox Live -Deals
I can "customize" this but it just lets me change my location and bio. Nothing about my age.

Clicking on "privacy settings" takes me here: account.xbox.com/en-us/Settings
Here it says nothing about wanting to protect my own eyes from DOA boobs. Oh look, it says about "family." Well, if I click on that, it brings me to "Microsoft Family." No, I don't want to create a family. I just wanna play my game! Clicking on "content access" brings me to "Reimagine the family experience." Uh, I don't want a family experience. I just want to play DOA5.

So what the heck? I haven't even played the game yet. I deleted my online account and tried going back to the game using my local Greg account, but it still has everything crossed out and I'm locked out of my own game. It changed something on the internal hard drive and it won't let me play it. I think if I had just tried to play it first before downloading anything, it wouldn't have become screwed up like this.

As for the settings that can be done on the console itself, I have it set to allow any and all games. It still won't work, so it must be something online that I cannot find. This really sucks.

Why can't I just use the existing Greg profile to go online with? Can't I just at least merge Greg with the new xboxlive account I've made? This is exasperating. My Mega Drive Mini doesn't give me this crap.

Please help! Thanks.
Undamned is the leading English-speaking expert on the consolized UD-CPS2 because he's the one who made it.
greg

Re: HELP:Xbox360 won't let me play my own game. Family setti

Post by greg »

Well, today I contacted MS Xbox support and the rep was of no help. She had me even create a brand new account, made sure the date of birth was entered properly, and I then downloaded that new account to my Xbox. It still gives me the same error message about family settings.

But the thing is, content controls are already off.

So in my predicament, the game is completely blocked from me.

This is what I get for not sticking to retro, offline consoles, I guess. This sucks.
Undamned is the leading English-speaking expert on the consolized UD-CPS2 because he's the one who made it.
Mortificator

Post by Mortificator »

This person had the same problem. The suggestion was raised that you need Xbox Live Gold. But I can't vouch for its reliability.
RegalSin wrote:You can't even drive across the country Naked anymore
greg

Post by greg »

Mortificator wrote:This person had the same problem. The suggestion was raised that you need Xbox Live Gold. But I can't vouch for its reliability.
Yes, I saw that. I shouldn't have to pay for a gold membership. The game doesn't stipulate that. Besides, I don't want to play the game online; I just want access to the game.

I was able to play it offline, but once I connected it online, it upgraded the game from DoA5: Ultimate to DoA5: Last Round. Then it locked me out. I found a DoA fan forum but nobody could help me. I even tried reformatting the 360's HD after backing up my data onto a USB drive. No luck.