Dracula the Undead - my fav hidden gem game of 2019

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
awbacon

Dracula the Undead - my fav hidden gem game of 2019

Post by awbacon »

https://youtu.be/GL7VawkqCbQ

Anyone else ever get the chance to play this one? It was recommended to me by someone on the Atari age forums and I figured why not, I’ll check it out!

I was shocked by how genuinely good this game is. The sepia tone art style, the adherence to Bram Stoker’s novel, and the puzzle gameplay all go to to make it an awesome experience. Pretty uncommon too since it only ever released in the Lynx, which obv didn’t do a ton of sales lol

I’d love to hear if anyone else has ever played it. If you haven’t...play it!
BIL

Re: Dracula the Undead - my fav hidden gem game of 2019

Post by BIL »

Never played it (I think I've put maybe ten minutes on the Lynx, via a friend's in primary school... California Games IIRC, enough to be mildly wowed by the scaling). However I always remembered that game and its sepia tone from magazine stills. In hindsight it's a pretty great touch, and quite bold given the Lynx's obvious USP as a colour handheld. Reminds me of Silent Hill 2 obscuring its then-stunning realtime graphics under a nice grimy layer of filmic grain.

I'd seen the still of Stoker in his armchair, but I didn't realise the writing was quite so fourth wall-breaking, haha. Quite cool.

Looks almost like a shot of Christopher Lee at the title screen. I see there's quite a few other projects with the same title, they don't seem related at a glance though.
__SKYe

Post by __SKYe »

I never played it either, but the game looks gorgeous. Now, I'm tempted to play it. :o
szycag

Post by szycag »

Trying to pitch a sepia-toned game on a color handheld might have been a little misguided at the time, but damn that looks fresh.
That is Galactic Dancing
CIT

Post by CIT »

I remember this getting rave reviews when it came out, and I’ve been curious to try it since. I only knew one kid with a Lynx back in the day though (myself being Game Gear kid) and he didn’t have the game, and I never got around to getting a Lynx myself.