Games not showing up in mame

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
Neon

Games not showing up in mame

Post by Neon »

This keeps happening to me it seems. This time it's my neo geo games - they run fine, but refuse to show up in the 'available games' list. They're in the same folder as the other ones, which do show up. Yes, I refreshed the list (f5).
Neon

Post by Neon »

another juicy tidbit/morsel:

Is there any way to assign 'ok' 'start' and a coin insert to my joypad? Without using laggy joy2key. I'll probably figure this out in around 5 minutes, but what the hell.
crithit5000

Re: Games not showing up in mame

Post by crithit5000 »

Neon wrote:This keeps happening to me it seems. This time it's my neo geo games - they run fine, but refuse to show up in the 'available games' list. They're in the same folder as the other ones, which do show up. Yes, I refreshed the list (f5).
Did you audit the ROMs to see if they appear as 'Available'? Sometimes games that work fine tend to say they don't, and don't appear on the available games list...
now tighter than your sister
Neon

Post by Neon »

I right-click audited it and got this nugget of info:

mslug : sp1.jipan.1024 131072 bytes NOT FOUND
CRC(9fb0abe4) SHA1(18a987ce2229df79a8cf6a84f968f0e42ce4e59d)

anyone know what this is? maybe I need a newer version of neogeo.zip or something along those lines.
Skyline

Post by Skyline »

You might need an updated mslug ROM too.

Sometimes shortnames are changed and clones are switched around with the emergence of new clone boards.
PsikyoFan

Re: Games not showing up in mame

Post by PsikyoFan »

Neon wrote:This keeps happening to me it seems. This time it's my neo geo games - they run fine, but refuse to show up in the 'available games' list. They're in the same folder as the other ones, which do show up. Yes, I refreshed the list (f5).
When hardware supports multiple different bios', MAME will only require whichever bios it is configured to (so by default Neogeo only needs sp-s2.sp1 / Europe 1 slot) to actually run.

However, MAME's auditing lists all missing roms even if the game is not configured to load them. MAME32 uses the same audit routines to determine whether games are available or not.

I'll get around to fixing it someday..
PsikyoFan

Post by PsikyoFan »

Neon wrote:I right-click audited it and got this nugget of info:

mslug : sp1.jipan.1024 131072 bytes NOT FOUND
CRC(9fb0abe4) SHA1(18a987ce2229df79a8cf6a84f968f0e42ce4e59d)

anyone know what this is?
"Japan MVS (Ver. 1)"
maybe I need a newer version of neogeo.zip or something along those lines.
Yup
Super Mega C

Post by Super Mega C »

MAME, blech! I tried it once. What a joke. When I did manage to find all the files for the games I wanted to play, they either barely ran or were virtually unplayable.
Button masher extrordinaire
"and on the eighth day, he stopped resting"
landshark

Post by landshark »

Neon wrote:another juicy tidbit/morsel:

Is there any way to assign 'ok' 'start' and a coin insert to my joypad? Without using laggy joy2key. I'll probably figure this out in around 5 minutes, but what the hell.
Hit "tab" to get into the menus while in mame. You can assign keys in there.
Ord

Post by Ord »

Super Mega C wrote:MAME, blech! I tried it once. What a joke. When I did manage to find all the files for the games I wanted to play, they either barely ran or were virtually unplayable.
MAME, one of the greatest things out there!
Ikaruga review now up in PLASMA BLOSSOM
Neon

Post by Neon »

MAME, blech! I tried it once. What a joke. When I did manage to find all the files for the games I wanted to play, they either barely ran or were virtually unplayable.
*holds back the urge to flame*

Don't blame the mame devs for your inability with computers. You probably tried a really old build anyways.
Super Mega C

Post by Super Mega C »

Neon wrote:
*holds back the urge to flame*

Don't blame the mame devs for your inability with computers. You probably tried a really old build anyways.
By all means let loose with your bad self. And it wouldn't matter how new the build is that I tried (which was the latest by the way) since the dev team never goes back and improves anything that they consider working. I'm sure there are one or two games that play perfectly, just not any of the games I wanted to play.
Neon

Post by Neon »

which games?
roushimsx

Post by roushimsx »

Super Mega C wrote:MAME, blech! I tried it once. What a joke. When I did manage to find all the files for the games I wanted to play, they either barely ran or were virtually unplayable.
Don't blame other people for your inability to understand the idea that emulating some games at full speed requires hardware more powerful than:

a) what you have
and
b) is available right now

Most of the shmups you want to play in MAME that aren't emulated at full speed yet have console ports, so maybe it's time for you to decide which is more important: blowing thousands of dollars so that you can play "free gamez" at full speed or shelling out far less green for the console ports (which are typically spot on anyways).

Paying a few bills for Raidant Silvergun and Soukyugurentai is a hell of a lot cheaper than building a PC that'll run them at full speed in MAME.
incognoscente

Post by incognoscente »

Neon wrote:Is there any way to assign 'ok' 'start' and a coin insert to my joypad?
Wiggling a stick left-right (or doing the equivalent motion with a d-pad or keys) can work for "ok".
poieo

Post by poieo »

Is this the part where people get in a huff and suddenly become retarded enough to act like MAME devs have ever cared about optimization of any sort?

If you want ST-V or PSX stuff that's been ported, just find the ISOs and go with Cassini or ePSXe. If you want Sengeki Striker, then you're screwed.
Super Mega C

Post by Super Mega C »

I'm not blaming the dev people for anything. I just think MAME is an over hyped peice of garbage, with the exception of the few games I played that did seem to run the way they were supposed to. OutZone was probably the best I played, and even it had it's flaws. I also tried to play Mercs and Guerilla War. Guerilla War had crap controls, and Mercs would barely run. And those are older games. Double Dragon 2 also ran poorly. I couldn't even find all the files for Double Dragon 1, Dimahoo, and several Neo Geo games. That's when I gave up. MAME just doesn't live up to it's promise for me.
Neon

Post by Neon »

Your pc's outdated methinks, mercs should run fine. MAME's awesome for having most all cps2 and neogeo games. Most of which I own legit ports of, but it's nice and convenient not to have to get off my ass sometimes. INP files are a godsend for replays. 100 kb inp instead of a 100 mb replay.