Super Mario Kart Arcade.

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
DantesInferno

Super Mario Kart Arcade.

Post by DantesInferno »

Yes, it's true..coming to arcade near you (if you live in Japan) from Nintendo and Namco. I have one question for nintendo. Why didn't Double Dash look this flippin' good???

It was shown at AOU along with all the shooters and a couple VERY interesting looking 2-D fighters.
AntiPasta

Post by AntiPasta »

I'd love some more info on those 2D fighters if you have any :D
...and suddenly, a very freaky wormhole opened, and 4 3-foot tall market analysts fell out...
Davey

Post by Davey »

Excellent, hopefully. It will be interesting to see how they cater it to the arcade audience. Hopefully, it will mean the gameplay will be more skill-based. Nothing says victory=luck like a triple red shell :x.
Bosuonparedo

Post by Bosuonparedo »

What's up with only having six racers at a time? Look at the screens; they clearly have a /6 after the place number.

It looks like they're taking the arcade race-game style (timed laps, complete in a high place to go on) and merely applying it to Mario Kart. Which will rule, but which ought to get a home port.
FatCobra

Post by FatCobra »

All of the fun I had with Mariokart Double Dash was sucked out when I realized pure racing skills don't mean jack...you could be miles away in 1st when you get nuked by blue shells and constanstly being bombarded by red ones.

This arcade verison does sound like fun however.
Bosuonparedo

Post by Bosuonparedo »

Not to be rude, FatCobra, but if you want to play a game involving pure racing skills, go play a pure racing game. Mario Kart was really designed to have more "blammo" than "vroom." That's what the items do -- they transform the mundane race into a frantic free-for-all. And they add challenge.

Also, Double Dash really plays much better race-wise if you use the two-people-to-control-one-kart option.
FatCobra

Post by FatCobra »

Bosonpareido wrote:Not to be rude, FatCobra, but if you want to play a game involving pure racing skills, go play a pure racing game. Mario Kart was really designed to have more "blammo" than "vroom." That's what the items do -- they transform the mundane race into a frantic free-for-all. And they add challenge.

Also, Double Dash really plays much better race-wise if you use the two-people-to-control-one-kart option.
Well, when I'm playing the Grand Prix, I find it frusterating that the CPU's cheat!

The co-op is fun, I drive while my friend shoots, but you still can't do anything about that damn blue shell! Unless you have a star, which I doubt since being in 1st means you get the basic items like the banana peels.
Bosuonparedo

Post by Bosuonparedo »

There is, according to my little brother's best friend (who, incidentally, is older than I am :shock:), a trick for avoiding blue shells, but I've never seen him pull it off. According to him, you just pull a quick u-ie and the shell doesn't touch you. I've yet to test this, though, and I don't exactly trust him as far as I can throw him.
Davey

Post by Davey »

Bosonpareido wrote:Not to be rude, FatCobra, but if you want to play a game involving pure racing skills, go play a pure racing game. Mario Kart was really designed to have more "blammo" than "vroom." That's what the items do -- they transform the mundane race into a frantic free-for-all. And they add challenge.
Yeah, but when the weapons are so powerful that racing skills are almost negligible in the outcome of the race, it kinda sucks. Messing other people up is central to the game, but it's kind of disheartening to lose a race because you got whacked by an unavoidable spiny shell. On the other hand, if someone has the skill to take me down with a green shell and take the lead, more power to them.
GaijinPunch

Post by GaijinPunch »

I dug up some details on the game...didn't see them posted anywhere else, sooo..

http://dynamic5.gamespy.com/~japangamin ... =4081#4081
PsikyoPshumpPshooterP

Post by PsikyoPshumpPshooterP »

sorry to derail, but if u want real racing skills...go look for Gran Turismo 4 tomorrow!
The cave whore count in this thread is unbelievable!!!
Neon

Post by Neon »

Everyone who's 'with it' or 'hip' knows Sega Rally is the manliest racing game.
FatCobra

Post by FatCobra »

Davey wrote:Yeah, but when the weapons are so powerful that racing skills are almost negligible in the outcome of the race, it kinda sucks. Messing other people up is central to the game, but it's kind of disheartening to lose a race because you got whacked by an unavoidable spiny shell. On the other hand, if someone has the skill to take me down with a green shell and take the lead, more power to them.
Exactly, I set the item level to Basic and the number of laps to 9 for VS Play where I live. Even red shells can be annoying, but those can be dodged, I've done it before. Being nuked by blue shells repeatly is no fun, however.
oxtsu

Post by oxtsu »

Neon wrote:Everyone who's 'with it' or 'hip' knows Sega Rally is the manliest racing game.
Close. Ferrari F355 Challenge coin-op with all assist turned off and 6-speed gearbox w/clutch.