shmups.system11.org

Shmups Forum

* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Fri Nov 22, 2019 3:06 am View unanswered posts
View active topics

Post subject: Re: Games ruined by bad voice acting
PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 3:42 am 

I still don't get why 'miserable pile of secrets' has such meme status. Sure, the delivery can be faulted, but as far as the writing goes I think it's actually a great line and pretty deep for ol' Drac! And yeah, the game's overall VA is not great, but there's not all that much of it and it's better than a lot of stuff from its era. We were talking about Silent Hill 2 earlier, and although I certainly don't think that game is 'ruined' by its performances, I think the delivery is a lot more cringey than anything in SOTN.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 5:33 am 

Ed Oscuro wrote:
BIL wrote:
Oh HECK no, HOTD 1 & 2 VA is legendary!

hell yeah, dogs of the ams forever

ZOMG sup Ed Image

it290 wrote:
I still don't get why 'miserable pile of secrets' has such meme status. Sure, the delivery can be faulted, but as far as the writing goes I think it's actually a great line and pretty deep for ol' Drac! And yeah, the game's overall VA is not great, but there's not all that much of it and it's better than a lot of stuff from its era. We were talking about Silent Hill 2 earlier, and although I certainly don't think that game is 'ruined' by its performances, I think the delivery is a lot more cringey than anything in SOTN.

Agreed about "secrets," it's a great bit of contempt from the MO HUMAN THAN HUMAN Drac.

"I want more life... fucker!"

I can't recall the original JP script offhand but I wonder if people interpret it as "secretions?" Which... isn't too bad either tbh! If oddly put. I always assumed the first meaning, though.

SH2's script relies on the tried and tested "I walked into a room where someone weird was, we talked and then they ran away" so I find the quality depends sharply on who James is opposite. Maria is generally excellent, her voice actress was clearly a cut above the rest and her cajoling really brings out "Sufferin' Ned Flanders" James, the best James. Her polar opposite Laura does similarly.

Just rovely >¦3 (no spoilers, but like any SH2 video clip BEWARE SPOILERS IN SIDEBAR yeah I know, it's 2019, etc etc consideration never goes out of style Image)

(QUICK STARTUP FAQ "What letter?!" sounds off in isolation. He delivers it that way because the last time Laura promised Jimmy a letter, she locked him in a closet! This is a running theme with Jimmy's foes in SH2. "Who's Rachel?!" is sheer exasperation, he has been through SOME SHIT at this point and just wants this brat to spill the goddamn beans already! JIMMY IS THINKING: "You're tired of walking? You seen the yawning Stygian hell-chasm where Nathan Avenue used to be? You know how the fuck I got ar - oh, hey, I really like this letter...")

Eddie is ridiculous on the surface, but even if it may not have been intentional, he and James are comedy dynamite (I suspect it was at least a little knowing). The whole game could just be the two of them locked in a room amiably talking about monsters and pizza until James stumbles onto one of Eddie's myriad hair-triggers, like not killing people, and Violent Fighting To Come Again!

"Oh yeah? Why not?!"

Angela is where I got some fuckin problems. With the character's appalling backstory it feels wrong to criticise her for sounding damaged but there's a consistent pattern of "Oh hi Angela" "BSADGBVADFGBVSADFGAER" with Grimdark James, the worst James, ensuing. Pyramid Head (yes, he has VA!) does similar, in scenes where he's not just punching James in the mouth or locking him in closets.

"Now it's time to end this." YOU WERE DOING SO WELL Image

70/30 effectiveness VA imo, which isn't bad given the rather heavy subject matter. SH2's best quality, beyond some thoughtful portrayals of mundane strife, is that it doesn't take itself overly seriously. At least I don't think it did. Either way that slight absurdity is critical to the former effect. To quote a great thinker of the 20th century, sometimes the worst shit happens. The worst kind of stuff happens!

"If that were true, then why do you look so sad...?" Fuck, I've already used cryin_rn.gif!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:36 am 

it290 wrote:
I still don't get why 'miserable pile of secrets' has such meme status. Sure, the delivery can be faulted, but as far as the writing goes I think it's actually a great line and pretty deep for ol' Drac! And yeah, the game's overall VA is not great, but there's not all that much of it and it's better than a lot of stuff from its era.

IMO the voice acting in SOTN isn't terrible. The translation is good, and the actors are decent, but it was clearly given a low budget, and as BIL points out, the abysmal recording quality is kind of hilarious.
The thing is that the way the dialogue is written, in a super over-the-top video game manner, having voiced lines just makes it come across even more gross, with the actors totally owning the lines and hamming it up like there's no tomorrow. It's the video game variant of "Gordon's alive??!!"

I'm not laughing *at* the "miserable pile of secrets" line, I'm laughing *with* it.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:44 am 

Another game where the (otherwise fairly talented) voice acting is a big part of what ruins the intended effect (I'm going to assume this was supposed to be a horror game), but IMO the end result is something much better:

HOW DO YOU LIKE THE ACID BATH?

The PS2 era uncanny grand canyon probably plays a major role, too. Somehow SH2 was able to completely own that, and use it to its advantage. Not as lucky here.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:50 am 

Haha, I missed that game completely back in the day... only saw that scene recently and indeed, wow. A horrific concept done so ridiculously, bat-shittingly OTT, it actually loops back around to become disturbing again. :lol: Rad bossname, CORRODER. Metal as fuck! RAIZING as fuck! Image Image

Not directly related to VA, but Takayoshi Sato (lead 3D artist) was integral to SH2's bullet-dodging effect, I believe. A real craftsman. His SH1 CGs still look wonderful, too... I like how they're totally unvoiced. Not only does it sidestep the rickety VA, but they genuinely don't need the elaboration of speech. I'd seen a certain character's iconic bloody fate in magazine stills, played up as "AREA MOM CAN'T BELIEVE LITTLE TIMMY'S VIDEO GOREFEST" and expected it'd be a tumultuous chestburster-esque horror, but between Sato's CG and Yamaoka's music, it was (and is) just hauntingly piteous. [ancient SH1 spoiler for the curious] Even useless Harry VA Guy is stunned into respectability!
Spoiler: show
"Lisa..."

He also worked on the SS+PS1 conversions of Sexy Parodius, incidentally. Although SH3 and SH4's realtime character models still look stunning, outdoing SH2's relatively crude ones, I still notice his absence from those games.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 12:52 am 

Sumez wrote:
IMO the voice acting in SOTN isn't terrible.

On the whole it's not too bad all things considered, and as I said the cornball parts have their own charm, but I would love to know which hapless guy from the accounting department they got to do the Imp familiar on his way to lunch. :lol:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:29 am 

Can't forget this classic scene

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qS26rhkgNIc

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:39 am 

Is Dogs Bower somehow related to Doug Bowser?

Offline Profile