Anyone play Mega Man 2 : the Power Fighters?

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
awbacon

Anyone play Mega Man 2 : the Power Fighters?

Post by awbacon »

I did a vid on this on YT and I had the hardest time pegging a genre for the game. Is it a fighting game? Or a boss rush mode? Or a combination of both? I mean it has multiplayer but the main game is still a pseudo fighter against a litany of bosses.

Yet control wise it has fighter inputs in places. It’s like Capcom said “just combine Megaman and some stuff from SF and ship it”

Still love the game but I’m always confused by just what it was supposed to be?

Here’s the link in case anyone is curious

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWFtuIGnK2E
Sumez

Re: Anyone play Mega Man 2 : the Power Fighters?

Post by Sumez »

It's a combination of both. But I'd say leaning more towards the boss rush side.
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

Don't worry about trying to define it by a particular label! :) The closest definition that probably encompasses it's Mega Man in boss rush form.

Mega Man is a widely known platforming series, and the two arcade games for the CPS-2 hardware are basically Mega Man with only the bosses (the boss chambers sometimes being more complex than normal). It's not close to a "traditional" fighting game since it's basically identical gameplay to the traditional Mega Man games except with a few additional moves. The focus is still on the projectiles, the controls are relatively simple, etc. If you're looking for a boss rush that's a truer fighting game in the sense of the controls and mechanics handling like a true 2D fighting game, I think something like WarZard/Red Earth fits that definition.
BIL

Post by BIL »

I'm sorry to inform you gentlemen, the tests report that Mega Man 2: The Power Fighters is, in fact, a shump. :sad:
Bratwurst

Post by Bratwurst »

A run and gun in one room.
NYN

READY

Post by NYN »

Yeah, I did. Y'all should really seriously play it.

Counter question: Anyone play Super Gem Fighter Mini Mix?
Is it a fighter? A self-referential Capcom all-star game? An early looting game?
I can't decide. And don't have to.
WhatImageeven mean, though?!
it290

Post by it290 »

I loooove Pocket Fighter. To me it qualifies as a fighter, just a more casual one in the vein of all those NGPC games that came a couple of years later. :) Great game for people who wouldn't normally play 2D fighters competitively.
We here shall not rest until we have made a drawing-room of your shaft, and if you do not all finally go down to your doom in patent-leather shoes, then you shall not go at all.
Marc

Post by Marc »

Pcoket Fighter is the best fighting game when a room full of friends and alcohol are involved.
XBL & Switch: mjparker77 / PSN: BellyFullOfHell