PS2 Metal Slug 4?

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
system11

PS2 Metal Slug 4?

Post by system11 »

Has anyone here played MS4 on the PS2? I had MS3, interlaced games running at under 60hz make my eyes bleed - did they fix that problem in MS4?

cheers,
james
oxtsu

Post by oxtsu »

I have it, bloodflowers. To answer the question...no they did not. Actually it has worsened. Moving characters on-screen are blurred, which I haven't noticed in part 3 for PS2.
system11

Post by system11 »

Thanks for the warning! I'll wait for the Xbox port I guess....
Naiera

Re: PS2 Metal Slug 4?

Post by Naiera »

bloodflowers wrote: I had MS3, interlaced games running at under 60hz make my eyes bleed
I thought they put a 60Hz option in the PAL version?
TWITCHDOCTOR

Post by TWITCHDOCTOR »

So, when did Metal Slug 4 come out?
Is it the compilation pack with MS 4&5?

I was planing on buying the Xbox versions anyway.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

TWITCHDOCTOR wrote:So, when did Metal Slug 4 come out?
Is it the compilation pack with MS 4&5?

I was planing on buying the Xbox versions anyway.
These guys are talking about the PAL PS2 versions of the games and problems exclusive to those versions. I'm not sure when it came out, but it looks like MS4 PS2 got a stand alone release in Europe. The PS2 Metal Slug 4 & 5 pack is listed for April at EBgames and May at Gamestop. The Xbox Metal Slug 4 & 5 pack is listed for June at both places. So we still have to wait a bit for the US versions.
PsikyoPshumpPshooterP

Post by PsikyoPshumpPshooterP »

dude I love Metal Slug 4...its better than ms 3...and not as cheap...
The cave whore count in this thread is unbelievable!!!
BIG

Post by BIG »

The PS2 port of MS4 suck ass. The jaggies and blur combo made my eyes bleed...

You've been warned.

BIG-
Kiken

Post by Kiken »

Metal Slug 4 has been out in Japan on PS2.

http://www.ncsxshop.com/cgi-bin/shop/SLPS-25376.html

Metal Slug 5 for PS2 is scheduled for April 28th.

The 4 & 5 pack is the US PS2 release.
oxtsu

Post by oxtsu »

To clarify, I was referring earlier to the JP release Slug 4 at 60hz, not 50. Wasn't aware of any PAL release (?). Still... for arcade junkies with a more acute sense, the visual problems with it remains.
system11

Post by system11 »

I may well be wrong on this, but it seems as if the flicker on Metal Slug 3 PS2 is much worse because it's actually running at 30fps, so the time between the flickers is longer. I presume that's what's happening, because Sengoku Ace is interlaced too, and it's nothing like as bad, not even close.

If anyone PAL-side is wondering, the Xbox version doesn't appear to suffer from it at all, it's an excellent port.
Turrican

Post by Turrican »

Sorry for being so newbie about technical issues, but... could you explain why is that? I mean, I too bought Slug3 on PS2 and noticed all the blur. I remember thinking that I had a more eye-pleasing experience with SlugX on psone.

Now I'm quite worried. I preordered Gunbird special edition at play.com, and I'd hate to have another so flawed product.

However, Gradius III & IV and Guilty Gear X2 (the only other two 2D PS2 games I have experience of) have crisp graphics. So what's the problem with slug3? Is that a case of junk conversion, or really PS2 couldn't do better?

It has nothing to do with the 60hz option, as far as I can see.
X - P - B
system11

Post by system11 »

Beware, I'm sketchy on interlace myself, but....

With interlace pictures, the image being displayed is changing, half the lines are drawn in one 60th of a second, the other half in the next 60th and so on. This is what the flickering effect is. Now, IF the interlace is tied to the game engine and that engine is running at 30fps (metal slug is a 30fps game, sometimes slower), I'm thinking logically the time between each flicker is going to be longer, and more noticeable.

As I say, part fact and part speculation, it's all I can find to explain why interlace in Sengoku Blade is almost not there, and interlace in MS3 leads to headaches.
Turrican

Post by Turrican »

So, you're saying Sengoku Aces doesn't flicker 'cause it's a 60fps game, right? (if so, I hope Gunbird runs at 60 too)

Weird to discover a Metal Slug title is 30fps. I've often heard game developers in interviews saying that 60fps were the optimum for action games.

Did the orginal Slug3 arcade game use this interlace mode? No, I guess not, if the Xbox version doesn't have any problems...

And what about the PS2 US version? It sucks that we european guys are screwed even in regard of a five years old game port...
X - P - B
Dylan1CC

Post by Dylan1CC »

Isn't a 4and5 pack being released for XBox?