Getting audio in PC98 Ys 3 Wanderers from Ys.

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
Elrinth

Getting audio in PC98 Ys 3 Wanderers from Ys.

Post by Elrinth »

Hi!

So I've got the emulator Project Neko 2 working with Ys 3. But I can only get PC Speakers audio to work. So the audio is driving me nuts. I'm guessing I need to fiddle with some dip-switches in the sound menues or something like that to get it working?

Is there a PC98 emulator which can playback ys3 with the YM-chip-emulation audio? If so, can I please have a guide?
I tried anex98 and the game wouldn't load. Just black screen.
WelshMegalodon

Re: Getting audio in PC98 Ys 3 Wanderers from Ys.

Post by WelshMegalodon »

1. Are you using the 21/W or fmgen build of NP2? The interface is in English.
2. According to this guide, you need to manually add the FMGen option to your config file in order to enable it.
3. Any particular reason you're choosing this port over the Mega Drive version?
Last edited by WelshMegalodon on Sun Oct 06, 2019 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Indie hipsters: "Arcades are so dead"
Finite Continues? Ain't that some shit.
RBelmont wrote:A little math shows that if you overclock a Pi3 to about 3.4 GHz you'll start to be competitive with PCs from 2002. And you'll also set your house on fire
SuperDeadite

Post by SuperDeadite »

For Ys III, X68000 is the best imo.
WelshMegalodon

Post by WelshMegalodon »

Doesn't that version only offer MIDI sound, though? The Mega Drive port retains FM, even if it is a different chip.
RBelmont wrote:A little math shows that if you overclock a Pi3 to about 3.4 GHz you'll start to be competitive with PCs from 2002. And you'll also set your house on fire
Elrinth

Post by Elrinth »

megadrive version is incoming.

my plan is to play them all for a bit. I prefer not having to buy a pc98 as finding one for a reasonable price is impossibru.

i have a youtube channel focused on vidya game music :)

the link to download fmgen version is supercryptic and all in japanese and i don't find hte proper download link :)

I tried all that, still only pcspeaker sound in neko project 21.
SuperDeadite

Post by SuperDeadite »

WelshMegalodon wrote:Doesn't that version only offer MIDI sound, though? The Mega Drive port retains FM, even if it is a different chip.
No., X68000 Ys III is FM only. No MIDI support at all.
WelshMegalodon

Post by WelshMegalodon »

Ah. I'm the idiot for believing HG101 about that. Wouldn't be the first time they've been wrong about a game.
SuperDeadite

Post by SuperDeadite »

If you are that into your game music, you could consider a CBOX. It allows you to connect real PC98 sound cards to a modern computer. NekoP2 supports it for real deal sound. Of course, its like 30,000yen and you need to buy the sound cards too, but far less headaches then importing a real 98.
Elrinth

Post by Elrinth »

I will satisfy with emulated audio, but it would be really cool with original audio.

It might be that the fdd images I found were PC88 version of wanderers of ys since it only had single channel bleeps.
BIL

Post by BIL »

WelshMegalodon wrote:Ah. I'm the idiot for believing HG101 about that. Wouldn't be the first time they've been wrong about a game.
More like Hardcore Gaming One Oh WRONG Image Image Image
Elrinth

Post by Elrinth »

The guys over at dosbox-x says it should be working there aswell, but I need the proper version of the game. It sounds like I was running the pc88 version of the game, but I'm not sure. It said it was pc98 when I dled, oh well :)

Another question since you guys seem to know alot.
Is Ys 3 PC9801 compatible with PC9821 computers?

edit... found a version in neo kobe archive which had inside the Falcom.zip a zip called "Ys III - Wanderers from Ys [FD] [Set 1].zip" which contained HDM-files which has the FM sound!

I read the manual and you need to create a userdisk for the game where you can select audio type!!!
But I don't understand how to create user disk :P but lucky there is a userdisk + fm sound available in the zip <3