Recommended games for a retro/classic gaming party

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
it290

Recommended games for a retro/classic gaming party

Post by it290 »

So I'm looking to organize a retro game night at my workplace. I don't have a full attendee count yet but I'm guessing it'll probably be around 10 or 15 people. My current thinking is that I'll bring in a few (3-5) consoles and hook each one up to a display and plan to play/showcase 1 or 2 games per console, maybe with a couple of dedicated setups like a CRT light gun setup or a tate setup. Arcade-only games (via emulation) are also a possibility, but probably not something I will focus on since I'm looking for more of a plug and play setup.

The people participating will mostly not be hardcore gamers, and so I want to provide some crowdpleasers (mostly or all multiplayer) but I also want to expose people to stuff they might not be familiar with—I don't want a Mario Kart/Party fest. I own or have access to a pretty wide variety of hardware and software, so there are a lot of options on the table. Ideally I want stuff that:
  • • Supports 2+ players (4 or more is ideal)
  • • Is easy to pick up and play or at least easy to pick up and have fun with even if you don't know what you're doing (Saturn Bomberman and Guardian Heroes are two games I'm eyeballing already)
  • • Has enough broad appeal that people with diverse tastes in games can have fun, but not so generic that everyone has already played it
  • • Reasonable fit for a social gathering—party games, arcade sports, fighters, shooters, beat 'em ups, etc.
The consoles that I own or have access to and would be willing to use for this event are:
  • • Atari 2600 - lots of joysticks, no working paddle controllers unfortunately :(
  • • NES - pads and zapper
  • • SMS - pads only
  • • SNES
  • • Genesis (w/Sega multitap)
  • • PC Engine + CD (w/multitap)
  • • Neo Geo (probably just the Mini, not bringing in the MVS for this event)
  • • Saturn (w/1 multitap)
  • • PS 1/2
  • • N64
  • • Dreamcast
  • • Gamecube
Not looking to do anything more modern than that. What games would you guys think about curating for a situation like this?
We here shall not rest until we have made a drawing-room of your shaft, and if you do not all finally go down to your doom in patent-leather shoes, then you shall not go at all.
WelshMegalodon

Re: Recommended games for a retro/classic gaming party

Post by WelshMegalodon »

I could just recommend Melee, but then everyone's just going to line up to play that. And Saturn Bomberman is an excellent choice. Other ideas include:

2600 - Combat.
NES - Balloon Fight? Maybe Tecmo Bowl or Blades of Steel. Or maybe Pachicom just for the novelty.
SMS - Bubble Bobble or Gangster Town.
SNES - Street Fighter. I'm tempted to say Ghost Chaser Densei, though, or even The King of Dragons. If I say Sailor Moon R, everyone will hate me.
Genesis - the boring choices are Street Fighter and Streets of Rage. SamSho is good, too. Puyo Puyo Tsuu if you're feeling adventurous. Maybe Gauntlet.
PC Engine - Parasol Stars, Devil's Crush, or Forgotten Worlds.
Neo Geo - KOF or Mark of the Wolves. A little boring, but to be fair, I'm not sure many non-gamers have heard of Mark of the Wolves.
PS1 - Time Crisis or DDR.
Saturn - Bomberman. Maybe Sega AGES or Panzer Dragoon.
N64 - San Francisco Rush 2049. Maybe Wave Race 64 or NFL Blitz. Lots of party-friendly fare on the N64.
Dreamcast - either Power Stone or Marvel. Probably Marvel, actually. Maybe Space Channel 5 if you don't want too many fighters.
GameCube - I really want to say Melee, but there have got to be better options. F-Zero GX, for example.

Might be a good idea to toss in a Mario game in there somewhere if people feel too alienated.
Indie hipsters: "Arcades are so dead"
Finite Continues? Ain't that some shit.
RBelmont wrote:A little math shows that if you overclock a Pi3 to about 3.4 GHz you'll start to be competitive with PCs from 2002. And you'll also set your house on fire
it290

Post by it290 »

Some good recommendations in there! I was thinking Windjammers for the Neo but it's not on the Mini, wtf. For NES I had Contra, River City Ransom, and Super Dodge Ball in mind. And on the Dreamcast, Power Stone is a great recommendation although I was leaning more towards Virtua Tennis or Gauntlet Legends. Your Genesis recommendation might actually make that obsolete however as Gauntlet IV and General Chaos were the two Genesis titles I had in mind. For Gamecube, I'm thrilled to learn that GX has a 4-player mode as that is something I have definitely never experienced before and would love to try.
We here shall not rest until we have made a drawing-room of your shaft, and if you do not all finally go down to your doom in patent-leather shoes, then you shall not go at all.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Gamecube also has Super Monkey Ball with some fun 4 player mini games. I'm tempted to recommend Tant-R for the Genesis, but that game is in Japanese, though a good chunk of the mini games can be figured out without it.
ryu

Post by ryu »

I heard Mario Kart 64 is very popular with with people who play games super casually
blog - scores - collection
Don't worry about it. You can travel from the Milky Way to Andromeda and back 1500 times before the sun explodes.
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

Power Stone. 2 if you have it.
You're sure to be in a fine haze about now, but don't think too hard about all of this. Just go out and kill a few beasts. It's for your own good. You know, it's just what hunters do! You'll get used to it.
Ixmucane2

Post by Ixmucane2 »

For party value, I second F-Zero GX, but Micro Machines on the Amiga provides funnier racing (maybe there are console versions).
With a Dreamcast, consider Rez (probably good on a large screen and accessible) and Giga Wing 2 (four players)
drauch

Post by drauch »

Warlords for Atari or a pong variation would be rad.

NBA Jam for SNES or Gen.
BIL wrote: "Small sack, LOTS OF CUM" - Nikola Tesla
kitten

Post by kitten »

i'm going to shotgun a huge variety of choices and you can just pick what sounds most appealing.

- * - * - * - * - * - * -
  • NES

assuming the obvious like double dragon 2, the turtles games, contra, and taking turns on smb3 and whatnot are already considered. actually, let's just pretend anything with mario in the title, all turtles games, and all contra games are already considered for each system -

- plasma ball, if this NES somehow capable of playing famicom games. one of my absolute favorite games. kinda similar to windjammers, but a bit more casual and silly and with a tendency for worse players to occasionally win against better ones. 2-player game where both player pilot a cute robot and then slam a ball around the screen. there's 3 main modes: a battle mode, a mode where you try to get the ball in the opponent's goal, and a mode where you try to blow up your opponent's city. has japanese menus but they're easy to figure out with guesswork.

- wit's, just in case you somehow grab a multitap and again if this can play famicom stuff (rare FC-exclusive game that works with NES multitap). it's like 4 player snake with a few silly bonus modes and multiple characters. very simple, very easy to pick up, menus are pictorial so you don't even need to figure things out.

- freedom force. a two-player zapper game. pretty much -the- multiplayer zapper game, it's a standard lightgun shooter.

- joy mech fight. a late-life, famicom exclusive fighter actually done by nintendo. very goofy and simple.

• SNES

- puyo puyo tsuu or kirby's avalanche. you probably know what puyo is at this point - kirby is more a crowd-pleaser, but tsuu has some slightly more varied play options. one of those games where you have to match people up by skill level, though, not everyone knows it and good players will consistently destroy bad players - though there are simple handicap options.

- TETRIS BATTLE GAIDEN. YOU MUST HAVE TETRIS BATTLE GAIDEN FOR THIS PARTY. THERE IS NO EXCUSE, IT'S CHEAP. this is the best multiplayer party tetris, ever. it rules. everyone knows how to play tetris and certain characters can balance the handicap level. make sure you printout a list of what each character's specials are. this game doesn't have a huge learning curve but it is a bit different than regular tetris and you'll need to acquaint people with the basics of how the bonus moves work.

- final fight 3/final fight tough. maybe too obvious, but this is a big favorite. i really love this game. there's still quite a few brawlers on here to recommend that aren't TMNT IV, which is probably the too-obvious party choice everyone has played.

- pirates of dark water. probably the most obscurely recommended of this trio of brawlers, here, but i really love this game. it's fantastic two-player, though keep in mind a single play is a bit long at an hour and a half. this is a particularly good choice if you're going for some 90's nostalgia party, but i was personally never really that into the cartoon and mostly just love the game.

- ghost chaser densei. another really great brawler and maybe the best of the bunch, here, for simplicity's sake. i say this because the other two can have the other player kind of rudely interfere with one another, where in this game if you're doing mega scrub-tier play you'll occasionally just run into each other and activate really cool supers.

- goof troop. multiplayer pirateship higemaru. for a bit of a slower, more co-op play mood.

- kirby super star. maybe too obvious, but i genuinely think this is easily one of the best co-op games of all time. very easy to swap controllers around at a party, just leave the better player with kirby. whoever is playing helper basically cannot die, and that asymmetry is fun for both experienced players to completely wreck the whole game and someone playing with a totally inexperienced player to make them not feel bad. fucking do not substitute this with dream land 3, they are a world of difference in quality and by different directors.

- mega man 7. it has a hidden fighting game mode that may serve as a "oh hey, that's weird" type novelty for 20 minutes. just look up the password.

- mega man soccer. when you gotta have a sports game, but you're still like "fuck sports."

- mighty morphin' power rangers: the fighting edition. extremely easy-to-grasp fighter by natsume. natsume!!! has some really cool beat 'em up-esque controls like double tapping to dash into attacks. also obvious nostalgia choice for a lot of people (i recommend every game on this list bereft of nostalgia, but you're throwing a party, so it's worth bringing up). i actually really love this game, but i'm a sucker for natsume.

- gundam wing: endless duel. super badass fighting game that is basically the follow-up to mmpr fighting. natsume masterpiece, though a bit less immediately accessible than mmpr. also going to make everyone at the party go "remember TOONAMI?" lol

- power rangers zeo battle racers. great alternative to mario kart. has both a relatively solid racing mode and a cool battle mode. also by natsume.

- super smash tv. i kind of hate smash tv but it's a decent party game. you know what this is.

- ganbare goemon (series). each of these are co-op platformers. i don't much care for them but they're pretty widely loved and i'd be remiss to not mention them.

- wild guns. it's the premiere gallery shooter. gotta recommend this excellent game, as it's just as fun in co-op! nastume masterpiece.

- kaizou chojin shubibinman zero. really great 2-player action game/beat 'em up lite. only available as a cart by columbus circle as a modern re-release - i've heard the voltage on it is slightly wrong and can fry your system, but i risked it and had no problems. i was too big a shubibinman fan to pass up owning this, i really love the series.

- sunset riders. better than the mega drive version! it's a solid co-op shooter and good alternative to contra.

• Genesis

the obvious being streets of rage as a series, hyperstone heist, and gunstar heroes.

- streets of rage 2. yes, everyone has played it. but... it's streets of rage 2. i'm trying to not recommend the mega obvious but this is a whole room pleaser because even if you're not playing, you're getting to listen to some of yuzo koshiro's best.

- the adventures of batman and robin. i think this game is awful, but a lot of people like this as a co-op shooter. surprisingly difficulty, but mostly because it is exhaustingly filled with stuff with too much HP. very highly technically impressive, has a jesper kyd soundtrack people like (i do not), and based on a property lots of people love (admittedly, i do).

that's... really all i've got, here. huh. i've heard columns 3 has 5-player, maybe that's worth a grab? i remember general chaos being fun but i've not played it since i was a kid. it's a shame mercs/senjou no okami II is only one-player.

• PC Engine

assuming nothing but bomberman '94 is obvious, here -

- dungeon explorer & dungeon explorer 2. up to 5-player gauntlet-style multiplayer. pretty widely loved among people who enjoy the pc engine. i've only ever gotten 2 other players together and briefly touched both and they felt a bit clunky, but i've been meaning to give this another shot for ages. maybe it's secretly better with just two people, even with only 3 we were fighting over who got upgrades.

- kaizou chojin shubibinman 3: ikai no princess. SUPER fun and fast 2-player action game. briskly paced, filled with silly humor, and easy enough for anyone to jump in as a partner. the other two games in the series are also simultaneous multiplayer but the first is uh... really not great in multiplayer, and the second can be a bit rough around the edges, though i still really like it.

- nekketsu koko dodgeball bu: pc bangai hen. THE super dodgeball game. god fucking damn this is blisteringly fast & fun. i really, really, really love it. it just feels so fast and fluid and perfect. people on here might have some other recommendations for kunio games but this is the dodgeball one you absolutely want. surprisingly skill-intensive and fun in single-player, too. the other kunio dodgeball games feel just slightly off, to me when compared to this.

- psychic storm. maybe the only multiplayer vert shmup i'm going to put on this whole list because it's just easy enough to play with someone not that good at shmups and not pull your hair out. has some goofy engrish good for a few laughs at a party and is otherwise pretty solidly built with an impressive presentation.

- rock-on. the only single player shmup i'm going to put on this list. this game is awful but the engrish text scroll at the beginning is absolutely fucking hilarious and the game is only like 500 yen. really bad but a good gag for its opening text.

- mystic formula. pretty decent top-down shooter with a very anime flavor that i've been meaning to put more time into.

- puyo puyo tsuu or puyo puyo cd. more puyo options.

- ane-san. an honestly mediocre brawler elevated mostly by its completely sukeban cast, weird rockabilly soundtrack, and outright total weirdness. pretty obscure and interesting to say the least. you might want to look up some information on this game because it does have a bunch of side-stuff you can do between missions you can mostly ignore, but there's a weird mini-game hidden in there where you mash buttons to make a weird scary face before your opponent that is extremely bizarre and silly.

- ai cho aniki. let's be frank, here. you want this for a party. you know why.

• Neo Geo

i don't have one, so no idea other than the obvious recommendation of all metal slug games.

though... for this or dreamcast, you can pick up garou: mark of the wolves, which is my favorite snk fighter despite being an ftg scrub. the movesets for motw are very simple but it's just as technical and challenging as most snk fighters get. this is probably the only "real" fighting game i started to get decent enough to play with people who actually loved fighting games with, not counting those two natsume games on the sfc (or melee).

• Saturn]

other than the super obvious recommendation of saturn bomberman, i don't actually know what to recommend, here. with all the controllers i bought for saturn bomberman, i should probably look into other stuff...

• PS1

aside from super puzzle fighter II turbo, which fucking rules but was outclassed by its rebalanced version on the xbox live arcade, i can't actually think of anything at the moment.

m-maybe chocobo racing? though i revisited that recently and wondered what on earth i had been thinking to ever love this. g-darius, maybe, though shmups aren't really good party games most of the time. gradius gaiden falls in that alley, too.

• PS2

i'd like to recommend the armored core series, here, but you'd have to get multiple consoles and saves and etc. and it would be a huge headache.

neo contra - okay, i know i said that the contra games are all obvious, but this is probably the best co-op contra game. absolutely blast of a top-down shooter and with a difficulty and control scheme reasonable and welcoming enough to invite new players into. the last vestige of good top-down shooters before they all became samey twinstick garbage.

the red star - this can get unwinnable for even moderate players if you don't do well early on, but is a really cool, really unique co-op brawler/danmaku shooter combination not that far off being the only game you could reasonably compare the modern-gen furi to. the early stages are very accessible to newbie player co-op, but you want to be doing well at them to get stuff to upgrade your character to stand a chance against the final boss.

aqua aqua - the sequel to wetrix. i've played this single player quite a bit but totally forgot it even has multiplayer. is it good multiplayer? i've never gotten someone to play it with me, to be honest, but i'm gonna try that soon now that i've remembered!! really cool 3d stacking puzzle game. i love wetrix immensely.

SNK arcade classics vol 1 - this has shock troopers on it! shock troopers!!!! SHOCK TROOPERS!!!!

everyone always recommends timesplitters, but i've never touched it.

• N64

imho, the obvious here are mario kart 64, smash, any mario party game, perfect dark, and goldeneye. everybody knows the n64 is a good party system because of those games.

turok: rage wars - probably the best turok game to play multiplayer, though it does lack turok 2's cerebral bore, one of the most notoriously humiliation-kill fps weapon of all-time. has some outright goofball shit like weapons that make you skinny until you fall over or fat until you pop.

conker's bad fur day - really surprisingly fun party multiplayer, i highly recommend this! there's some asymmetrical modes here that you won't find anywhere else on the system, as well as a just-plain-solid 4 player battle mode with katanas, chainsaws, smgs, all sorts of goofy stuff. my favorite mode has one team of evil teddy bears trying to kill french caricature squirrels immigrating off the beach. the squirrels are at a severe disadvantage with no weapons, but if left unchecked, they can climb up and push this button to detonate the teddy base while trying to cross into the safe zone. might offend someone at a bigger party?? i guess?? i don't know if that's even worth bringing up.

wetrix - to be honest i haven't played wetrix multiplayer in several hundred years but the solo play is so awesome that it's fun to see who can do the best. i love this game. edit: went to go play some multiplayer with roommate after typing this. if you haven't played in a while (and my roommate hadn't), the readjustment period is actually a bit difficult for multiplayer to just get going immediately.

• Dreamcast

vigilante 8: second offense - the best version of this game and a pretty decent car battle brawler that imho is a lot better than the twisted metal games of the time. if you've got a bunch of dreamcast controllers, it's not gonna set you back to pick up a copy.

house of the dead 2 - you don't mention guncons, but it's worth grabbing two for this. superb port with a lot of added stuff and a hell of a good time.

sega bass fishing - pass the rod around, try to catch the biggest fish! doesn't sound that exciting, but this game actually totally owns and is a blast of a party game. yes, really. the fishing rod isn't too expensive, either.

unreal tournament - bizarrely playable on the dreamcast pad. complete with low-grav and instagib settings for Maximum Casual Fun.

virtual on: oratario tangram - is this obvious? for some of these choices, i don't know what is or isn't obvious.

i'd like to recommend the power stone games, but i never got them! did so much dreamcast multiplayer back in the day but never picked 'em up. should maybe get 'em and play with some pals. i had some fun with the psychic force sequel with quite a few people but it's been ages since i've given it a go whereas i've revisited most of these within the last several years at least once or have more solid memories of.

• • Gamecube

does this do something other than play smash? i like kirby air ride for co-op a bunch (it has a really delightful free-roam city mode that is very unique for a racer) and enjoyed the turok game on it (which has a bow that can make your opponent's character puke their guts out for like 10 seconds in a very grotesquely humiliating death).
Last edited by kitten on Fri Sep 27, 2019 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~Imagination and memory are but one thing, which for diverse considerations have diverse names~
Image | Image
~*~*~*~*~*~* If there's a place that I could be ~ Then I'd be another memory *~*~*~*~*~*~
Ebbo

Post by Ebbo »

WarioWare Mega Party Games for GC has a good selection of multiplayer modes, some of which allow up 16 players to participate by sharing one controller. Just keep in mind most of the modes have to be unlocked first by playing each mode in an order. Most of them are rather fast-paced so it shouldn't be too tasking though.
Vexorg

Post by Vexorg »

It seems like some of the Bomberman games would make good party games in this situation as long as you have the controllers for it. If you were doing PC stuff I'd recommend some sort of hotseat game like Worms or Scorched Earth.
We want you, save our planet!
Xbox Live: Vexorg | The Sledgehammer - Version 2.0
drauch

Post by drauch »

There's always Worms Armageddon for PS1/Dreamcast.
BIL wrote: "Small sack, LOTS OF CUM" - Nikola Tesla
BryanM

Post by BryanM »

Pity to hear about your paddleless, Warlordsless situation.

Pac-Man Vs or one of its ilk could be amusing for a few minutes.
Steamflogger Boss

Post by Steamflogger Boss »

drauch wrote:There's always Worms Armageddon for PS1/Dreamcast.
This is really unpleasant in practice. Worms over LAN now that is the hot shit.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

The version of Tant-R in the PS2 Sega Classics Collection is translated into English and seems to have the 4p mode from the Genesis version. I recommend the Remix Puyo Puyo 2 SFC over the vanilla Puyo Puyo 2 for SFC. The remix has more 4p options, better music, and a new hard course for the 1p mode.
it290

Post by it290 »

Definitely feeling the pain of not having a Warlords setup. That's easily one of the better pick up and play multiplayer games. I guess maybe Combat can be a good substitute, though. Slot Racers is another fun one that I was thinking of for the 2600.

I do appreciate all the other suggestions (especially Tetris Battle Gaiden, that's gold), but also think a lot of these games are going to be too hard and/or technical for the audience. I would _love_ to play Virtual On in this setting, but let's be honest, the control scheme is anything but noob friendly. I guess maybe that can work if two noobs are playing against each other, though.

re: Gamecube, thinking the party/extra modes on Super Monkey Ball 1/2 might be a good choice. Not incredibly well known (at least compared to Mario/Smash), but still friendly enough for people to have a good time with.

edit-OH, and on Dreamcast, I almost forgot PROPELLER ARENA. I've never actually played it in multiplayer before, but I gotta assume it's a good time.
Obiwanshinobi

Post by Obiwanshinobi »

Super Monkey Ball for GameCube, also, the Monkey Golf mode. Virtua Tennis for Dreamcast. The first Burnout works a treat in split-screen (I play the 'Cube one on my Wii). Oh yes, Battle Gear 2/Toky Road Race (PS2), LOOKS older than it is, pretty "retro", so I would feel intrigued as to why such a plain Jane-looking car game (with hard-rocking music) gets exposed to begin with (playable enough with just a regular controller, single runs are pretty short each).

The above titles are first that come to mind when I think what would I (hardly videogaming a person these days) bring on should a number of party people express any interest in all those retro consoles gathering dust around me. Also, TrackMania on the Wii (the oldest console TrackMania). Plays with a CCP, so you can sort of pretend it's not a Wii game if that's a problem.

Moto Racer (PSX, or a vintage PC).

Oh, and I haven't really played it but it LOOKS batshit insane - Gotcha Force (GameCube, my favourite Capcom era). Gitaroo Man (PS2), Space Channel 5 (Dreamcast)? Kuri Kuri Mix/The Adventures of Cookie & Cream (PS2, by From Software actually) - terrific co-op, very accessible.

Gauntlet Dark Legacy PS2 port in ROBOTRON* mode, provided every player has got a controller with analogue sticks.

*) So it says in the menu! Pretty cool of whomever owns the rights to stay civil about it.

P.S. Atsushi Tomita of the Gundam vs series heritage worked on Gotcha Force.
The rear gate is closed down
The way out is cut off

Dochartaigh

Post by Dochartaigh »

Honestly, "casual" and "4-Player" to me absolutely screams arcade 4-player games. Even something as simple as a RP3 with RetroPie or whatever will play super nice with the HDMI TV's or even projectors your work has.

I find that to casual players many of the console games are for more in-depth couch-style playing (unless of course they're ports of arcade games ;) Still plenty to choose from on home consoles, but whenever I have game night at my house and friends-of-friends come over who aren't hard-code gamers, nearly every. single. person. gravitates to the arcade games without fail.

Light gun games (requiring you to lug in a 80+ pound CRT for a decent 20"+ viewable area) are always super fun and a huge hit, but again, those (more modern ones at least) are usually all based off Arcade games (so again, arcade is my recommendation). Good old Duck Hunt is always a hit still though I will say!
chempop

Post by chempop »

By far the best party game I've ever played is Pacman Vs on gamecube (requires gameboy advance link). It was a pack-in game with the players choice Pacman World 2. It works like this, 1 person plays classic pacman on the GBA while the 3 other players use gamecube controllers and control the ghosts in a 3D version where they can't see the map. When pacman gets caught, you hand the Gameboy to ghost that got him and they become pacman. It has to be experienced to really understand how well it all works.

Thankfully it's on switch! https://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/n ... on-switch/
"I've had quite a few pcbs of Fire Shark over time, and none of them cost me over £30 - so it won't break the bank by any standards." ~Malc
Obiwanshinobi

Post by Obiwanshinobi »

Ixmucane2 wrote:For party value, I second F-Zero GX, but Micro Machines on the Amiga provides funnier racing (maybe there are console versions).
Mashed: Fully Loaded! PS2 (and Xbox) versions are exclusively PAL, though, so the PC is where it's at wherever you are. Unfortunately, I wouldn't recommend playing that without completing tutorial missions (few and short, but it's not really the most immediately accessible of single screen multiplayer games). Same with F-Zero GX (or WipEout), I would say.
Micro Machines Turbo Tournament '96 for Mega Drive looks deformed in 60 Hz, for what it's worth (it is PAL-optimised). There are other console versions indeed, but I haven't played them.
The way out is cut off

it290

Post by it290 »

I'm definitely open to arcade games, it's just that configuring inputs can be a little dicey on a Pi type setup & also that part of the event is to give people as much as an original hardware experience as possible. That said I may bring in my ODroid just to give people the option should they so desire. Any standout arcade recommendations?
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Obiwanshinobi wrote: Gauntlet Dark Legacy PS2 port in ROBOTRON* mode, provided every player has got a controller with analogue sticks.

*) So it says in the menu! Pretty cool of whomever owns the rights to stay civil about it.
Not sure what you mean here. Midway had the rights to both Gauntlet and Robotron at time they published Gauntlet Dark Legacy. Warner Bros. currently has the rights to both.
Obiwanshinobi

Post by Obiwanshinobi »

I simply didn't know who'd owned what, so I cherished a fantasy abouty some devs crediting other devs' work for a seminal achievement like that and everybody involved respecting it for what it was.
it290 wrote:Any standout arcade recommendations?
Some originally arcade games, excellently ported to consoles, already mentioned, though, such as the original (Super) Monkey Ball, Power Stone, Virtua Tennis. Do you mean exclusively coin-op (pain to set up, I guess, considering the quality of ports), or anything "standout" yet not mentioned? In my experience, "arcade" does not necessarily equal "easy to grasp"*, which was the primary focus of mine. Still, out of the first four titles I mentioned, three happened to be of coin-op origins.

*) F-Zero GX had a coin-op sibling called F-Zero AX and to this day you can meet people hailing GX as the pinnacle of that sub-genre, who nonetheless are clueless about its very basic mechanics.

Typing of the Dead (rather good PC port of the original coin-op one).

Space Raiders for the GameCube. Console-only, but, Taito!
The way out is cut off

MintyTheCat

Post by MintyTheCat »

Certainly a version of Bomberman with multi-tap.
More Bromances = safer people
cicada88

Post by cicada88 »

chempop wrote:By far the best party game I've ever played is Pacman Vs on gamecube (requires gameboy advance link). It was a pack-in game with the players choice Pacman World 2. It works like this, 1 person plays classic pacman on the GBA while the 3 other players use gamecube controllers and control the ghosts in a 3D version where they can't see the map. When pacman gets caught, you hand the Gameboy to ghost that got him and they become pacman. It has to be experienced to really understand how well it all works.

Thankfully it's on switch! https://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/n ... on-switch/
This sounds amazing.

Can anyone confirm whether GameCube Inception is possible? I.e. can you use a GC with GB player and its own TV linked to another GC via GBA/GC Link Cable (lol...Jesus)?
it290

Post by it290 »

Should be totally possible — the player has all the necessary ports and hardware.

Whoa — loving the look of Space Raiders! Why have I never heard of this before?
Do you mean exclusively coin-op (pain to set up, I guess, considering the quality of ports), or anything "standout" yet not mentioned? In my experience, "arcade" does not necessarily equal "easy to grasp"*, which was the primary focus of mine. Still, out of the first four titles I mentioned, three happened to be of coin-op origins.
Yeah, I meant coin-op only games. Thinking stuff like Dead Connection, Smash TV or Nitro Ball could be a good time.