updating loony tunes

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
magnum opus

updating loony tunes

Post by magnum opus »

http://msnbc.msn.com/id/6989380

this is the worst thing ever
this is worse than robohitler
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Man, is nothing sacred? It's hard enough to find the classic cartoons on TV these days, and now they're determined to homogenize the license with every other soulless style-over-substance hack cartoon out there? As if "Space Jam" wasn't bad enough...
UnscathedFlyingObject

Post by UnscathedFlyingObject »

I had to look twice to locate Bugs. They all lost much of their defining features. Guess I'll stick to anime like always. Japanese actually do a decent job with their cartoons.
"Sooo, what was it that you consider a 'good salary' for a man to make?"
"They should at least make 100K to have a good life"
LoneSage

Post by LoneSage »

It really is awful what the WB is doing to all their classic characters, giving them x-treme makeovers...these designs are just hideous. They look angry all the time, so what the hell kind of cartoon will this be? It's just unimaginable.

Sure, Bugs has gotten makeovers for the past 60 years, but nothing this ridiculous.

Hopefully the ratings will suck and the show will bomb.

Must everything from my childhood be tainted by today's generation? Oh wait, I am today's generation...
Specineff

Post by Specineff »

Remember the Road Rovers? Big Butt Sumos? Spiderman Unlimited?

Bomb. Bomb all the way.

WB, if you are listening.. please.. you can come up with really good shows. Duck Dodgers is genius. Teen Titans Rocks. Justice League is incredible...

BUT FOR FUCK'S SAKE, DON'T DO THIS!
Don't hold grudges. GET EVEN.
landshark

Post by landshark »

I saw this from fark.com - it was disgusting.
Ord

Post by Ord »

:lol: Y'know it's going to be a surefire failure.
Ikaruga review now up in PLASMA BLOSSOM
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Has anyone actually read the article? It states very clearly that these characters are not redesigns of the original Looney Tunes characters, but new characters based on the old ones. While I don't like designs of these new characters, I really don't get the impression that they are trying to replace the originals. Also, it's not the first time WB tried to reinvent Looney Tunes for a younger audience with new characters. Remember Tiny Toons?

Still, the "hip" designs and yet another show with new characters based on classic ones doesn't give me high hopes for this series.
Stormwatch

Post by Stormwatch »

Maddox is wise.
magnum opus wrote:this is worse than robohitler
Isn't that a boss in Wolfenstein 3D? I liked that game... I'll play it again when I find the time, but I want to beat Quake 2, Alien vs Predator and Myth first...
CMoon

Post by CMoon »

BrianC wrote:Has anyone actually read the article? It states very clearly that these characters are not redesigns of the original Looney Tunes characters, but new characters based on the old ones. While I don't like designs of these new characters, I really don't get the impression that they are trying to replace the originals. Also, it's not the first time WB tried to reinvent Looney Tunes for a younger audience with new characters. Remember Tiny Toons?

Still, the "hip" designs and yet another show with new characters based on classic ones doesn't give me high hopes for this series.
I do wish more people noticed it. On the other hand, the design is exactly why I can't stand US animation. Still, 2D animation is pretty much dead anyway--the closest thing we're getting now is the ESP Galuda approach with 2D rendered sprites laid over polys and moving about based on computer algorithms or worse, that live capture technique they used in Polar Express.

I figure we are already in hell. Just buck up and take it like a man!
Randorama wrote:ban CMoon for being a closet Jerry Falwell cockmonster/Ann Coulter fan, Nijska a bronie (ack! The horror!), and Ed Oscuro being unable to post 100-word arguments without writing 3-pages posts.
Eugenics: you know it's right!
SHMUP sale page.
Minzoku

Post by Minzoku »

The best "update" ever is Batman Beyond.

This doesn't look like a Batman Beyond.
"This is not an alien life form! He is an experimental government aircraft!"
Blue Lander

Post by Blue Lander »

I blame anime for inspiring this desecration.

As revenge, I suggest we make a Cowboy Bebop cartoon series but animate it like Super Friends and those other crappy late 70's cartoons.
Specineff

Post by Specineff »

Watch Wings of Honneamise and tell me if they are to blame for this.
Don't hold grudges. GET EVEN.
CMoon

Post by CMoon »

Blue Lander wrote:I blame anime for inspiring this desecration.

As revenge, I suggest we make a Cowboy Bebop cartoon series but animate it like Super Friends and those other crappy late 70's cartoons.
Why bother, DBZ already looks like Superfriends...

(well, OK, it isn't that bad, but it isn't good.) Anyway, Cowboy Bebop was one of the few modern animes I liked, I'm sure it isn't to blame for this!
Randorama wrote:ban CMoon for being a closet Jerry Falwell cockmonster/Ann Coulter fan, Nijska a bronie (ack! The horror!), and Ed Oscuro being unable to post 100-word arguments without writing 3-pages posts.
Eugenics: you know it's right!
SHMUP sale page.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

CMoon wrote:
Blue Lander wrote:I blame anime for inspiring this desecration.

Why bother, DBZ already looks like Superfriends...

(well, OK, it isn't that bad, but it isn't good.) Anyway, Cowboy Bebop was one of the few modern animes I liked, I'm sure it isn't to blame for this!
lol. I agree about DBZ! DBZ is almost as cheesy as Superfriends at points (even in the subtitles, though not as much as the dub) too. Even the original DB is as cheesy as Super Friends at points. In one episode, Piccolo Jr. does an impersination of Apache Chief.

I do like anime, though. There is some good stuff out there. Cowboy Bebop also happens to be one of the series I like.

Duck Dodgers is an example of a modern Looney Tunes based cartoon done right. It mannages to be hip and clever, while still staying true to the original character designs and having plenty of nods to the original material. The Tom Jones theme song doesn't hurt either.
FatCobra

Post by FatCobra »

Damn, what a way to ruin my childhood WB.....

Cartoons were better back in the 80's anyway...
greg

Post by greg »

Quit complaining, guys. The originals are still around. In fact, rejoice that they're slowly releasing the original episodes, unedited and uncensored and un-politically-correcticized on DVD. Too bad they're so pricey...
Undamned is the leading English-speaking expert on the consolized UD-CPS2 because he's the one who made it.