N64 region free mod the “compassionate” way :)

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
awbacon

N64 region free mod the “compassionate” way :)

Post by awbacon »

I’d love your feedback on this since it’s the one video I debated about making. Seems like common knowledge to me but I’ve seen way too many suggestions online lately about just hacking plastic away from consoles and that never seems like a good idea to me.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dMvF15Wy6P8

Lmk what you guys/girls think!
Steamflogger Boss

Re: N64 region free mod the “compassionate” way :)

Post by Steamflogger Boss »

My opinion? Just break the tabs off. I would much rather do that and be done with it vs back swapping a bunch of carts. I cut off the tabs on my SNES too.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Back over the motherfucker with a dump truck. That's what I did! Also carved my initials under the shell like with all my consoles, don't steal my shit! :shock:
null1024

Post by null1024 »

I'd just dremel it out.
Once and done job. The tabs are literally just in the way, and I don't want to have to open up each out-of-region game and use a donor or repro shell. Much, much easier and overall cleaner to just solve the root of the problem.
Come check out my website, I guess. Random stuff I've worked on over the last two decades.
Bratwurst

Post by Bratwurst »

If you're squeamish over cutting original plastic, just have a region-free cartridge tray 3D printed, the models are out there, freely available.
awbacon

Post by awbacon »

Bratwurst wrote:If you're squeamish over cutting original plastic, just have a region-free cartridge tray 3D printed, the models are out there, freely available.
Def an option but I like the simple approach. Keep one spare cart back and hit swap them.

Maybe it’s just me but I don’t want to cut the plastic. I’ve seen a few 64’s at thrift and it’s been done and damn if it wasn’t a mangled mess inside. Like apes did the cutting!
Steamflogger Boss

That's just way too much effort for me. Takes up very precious gaming time as well. Not going to fault anyone for doing it just explaining where I'm coming from on it.

I would agree that many people are sloppy. Hell my snes isn't too pretty but it does the job.
awbacon

Post by awbacon »

Steamflogger Boss wrote:That's just way too much effort for me. Takes up very precious gaming time as well. Not going to fault anyone for doing it just explaining where I'm coming from on it.

I would agree that many people are sloppy. Hell my snes isn't too pretty but it does the job.
No def its totally subjective whether or not you cut the plastic :)
null1024

Post by null1024 »

awbacon wrote:
Bratwurst wrote:If you're squeamish over cutting original plastic, just have a region-free cartridge tray 3D printed, the models are out there, freely available.
Def an option but I like the simple approach. Keep one spare cart back and hit swap them.

Maybe it’s just me but I don’t want to cut the plastic. I’ve seen a few 64’s at thrift and it’s been done and damn if it wasn’t a mangled mess inside. Like apes did the cutting!
Yeah, it's gotta be done cleanly. No nasty rip-and-tear garbage.
you can get a rotary tool for like $30, don't just pull it off
Come check out my website, I guess. Random stuff I've worked on over the last two decades.
drauch

Post by drauch »

I went to town on my SNES with a pair of pliers and it took like 30 seconds. Looks like dogshit, but the flaps cover it up. What ya can't see can't hurt ya if you're a degenerate like me.
BIL wrote: "Small sack, LOTS OF CUM" - Nikola Tesla
Steamflogger Boss

drauch wrote: What ya can't see can't hurt ya if you're a degenerate like me.
I'll toast to that.
awbacon

Post by awbacon »

drauch wrote: What ya can't see can't hurt ya if you're a degenerate like me.
Bravo sir...quote of the week
theclaw

Post by theclaw »

null1024 wrote:
awbacon wrote:

Yeah, it's gotta be done cleanly. No nasty rip-and-tear garbage.
you can get a rotary tool for like $30, don't just pull it off
As a matter of fact, the cartridge tray is removable without permanent modification.

Temporarily anyway. It might not be good for the long term health of the console.
Specineff

Post by Specineff »

Can't a Gameshark work as a pass-through cart?
Don't hold grudges. GET EVEN.