Convince Me Not to Get a Wii U

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
kitten

Re: Convince Me Not to Get a Wii U

Post by kitten »

TransatlanticFoe wrote:Astonishing really, given (deep breath) New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe basically printed money for a solid couple of months at the start of the year. Maybe they're saving it for this coming January but I'm surprised they haven't just chucked out a 3D World port for some quick cash this year, especially with it bizarrely getting a 2D theme in Mario Maker 2.
i'm guessing they didn't want 3d world competing with sales of odyssey, since they're quite a bit more similar. i think there's also some weird shame wrapped up in it - the shitty b-team NSMB games consistently outsold the big passion projects like galaxy, 3d world, etc. then they finally cave and go back to make something like mario 64 again with a lot of modern concessions to the post-ubisoft open-world world that we live in. i get some feelings they think 3d world was a failure.
~Imagination and memory are but one thing, which for diverse considerations have diverse names~
Image | Image
~*~*~*~*~*~* If there's a place that I could be ~ Then I'd be another memory *~*~*~*~*~*~
cave hermit

Re: Convince Me Not to Get a Wii U

Post by cave hermit »

For the longest time I enjoyed the Wii U far more than I enjoyed my PS4. Thing is the PS4 outlived the Wii U, and most of the best stuff on the Wii U now have ports or expansion pack-esque sequels on the switch.

Off the top of my head, Wonderful 101, Super Mario 3d world, Xenoblade Chronicles X, and Pikmin 3 are worthwhile titles that aren't on switch in some way yet. Super Mario 3D world is a fun little romp, but not something I'd consider essential. Still have Pikmin 3 sealed, so I can't really say much about that one. Xenoblade Chronicles X is fucking enormous, basically an offline MMORPG, and I still need to set aside time to really play it.

Wonderful 101 is a wonderful game. I'd go so far as to call it my favorite Platinum game overall. Not for everybody though, and even I disliked it at first thinking it was just aping Pikmin and wishing it was more traditional like Bayonetta. One of the things that gets me out of bed in the morning is the hope that it'll get a Switch port. Which is kind of sad really. But enough about my lack of ambition, I consider Wonderful 101 reason enough to own a Wii U. Just don't use the touchscreen controls, use the right analog stick like a true member of the Wonderful 100.