Get N or Get Out! The N64 thread

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
Udderdude

Re: Get N or Get Out! The N64 thread

Post by Udderdude »

BIL wrote:
Udderdude wrote:
Sumez wrote:Which 120? That's a lot higher than I'd think.
I think it depends on how much you like racing games, because the N64 had a ton of them.

Anyway, pastebin time I guess. https://pastebin.com/eTtqZ6aj

As usual, YMMV and my list isn't yours, so you might include games I wouldn't and vice versa. Plz no bully.
I ain't see Virtual Pro Wrestling 2. :shock: IMMA KILL U
I'm so sorry BIRU-SAMA, how can you ever forgive me? I admit that I pretty much skipped over anything even remotely related to WRASSLIN' (At least the 3D variety). Not really my thing. I've gone back and done some more research now.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Definitely give 'em a try, either VPW2 or No Mercy! More like head-to-head (to-head-to-head) arcade brawlers than anything, tbh. The combination of tight controls and visceral, explosively powerful impacts is moreish like crack. :cool: Exemplars of arcadey party/hardcore crossover - different breed entirely than disposable Western shite like the War Zone, Nitro and Mayhem games.

Fuck, I could rabbit on for a page over just the timing-based jab/straight/haymaker inputs, and the parallel grapple/strike defensive systems, and the finer points of the Spirit Meter/RAEG MODE.

This is AUTHENTIC JAPANESE HARDCORE Image Image Image
Last edited by BIL on Sat Aug 15, 2020 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

lmfao. oh birru
what the shit is this
1cc List - Youtube - You emptylock my heart
BIL

Post by BIL »

~THE OL' DAYS~(^ω´ )
XoPachi

Post by XoPachi »

Pulled out my Pikachu N64 from a box recently because I really wanted to play Jet Force Gemini.
There is something so magical about this game that I cannot put my finger on and I feel like I'll get another another science fiction adventure quite like that. It's not my favorite in the genre, but it's a very unique game I wholly treasure.
There is some mild disappointment in it's length, but 20 years later, I'm still trying to figure out if I just liked it so much I wanted it to last longer or if it really is just kinda cut short. I have that sort of feeling sometimes with games.

I...don't understand why they named the dog after a disease though. Like not even different spelling. It's actually just Lupus. I mean oddly enough it sounds like a charming fantasy dog name if you don't know the disease is a thing? I guess??? lol
BIL

Post by BIL »

XoPachi wrote:I...don't understand why they named the dog after a disease though.
I doubt they did, I'd assume they were going for the Latin word for "wolf." (apparently there's some ambiguity as to whether the disease is named for a wolf's bite, or its facial fur patterns)

I guess it is a bit like calling a crab buddy "Cancer." Nobody gives a shit about crabs though. Can't recall a single game where you play as one. Plenty where you blast and/or beat the shit out of 'em though. Wild Guns, Ikari no Yousai, the Darius canon, Super R-Type, Order of Ecclesia, etc etc...

Agreed about JFG, it's a neat game. Some decently visceral shooting (nice headshot mechanic), with a sensible collect 'em up angle. Some of those furries were pretty well-hidden! I'll always remember finding my very last one, to unlock the final stage and TLB. Bastard was hiding
Spoiler
in the dark roofspace of a hut on the early-game swamp planet, invisible without using the Flare item.
I was all "The fuck you doing up there?!" I like organically hidden stuff, no Castlevania II bullshit, naw mean.

Great soundtrack too.
Herr Schatten

Post by Herr Schatten »

With a crab buddy of that name, you could frequently use my favourite line of eurodance trash lyrics: "I'm as serious as Cancer when I say rhythm is a dancer."
BIL wrote:Nobody gives a shit about crabs though. Can't recall a single game where you play as one.
Seems like a massive oversight to me. Playing a game where you control a crab actually sounds kind of awesome. I'm sure one could come up with all sorts of wonderfully weird game mechanics.

The game I'm currently working on is about a chubby mermaid, but I'll definitely put "make game about crab" on top of my to-do list for future projects.
BIL

Post by BIL »

What I'd like to see is either a Valken-esque heavy metal sidescroller, or a Ghost In The Shell (PS1)-type action game starring my boy ASSAULT TYPE THOMAS :cool:

Imagine, frickin BUBBLE NAPALM :shock:

EDIT: I guess there's the ship's third form in Crisis Force, though as a traditional airborne STG, it doesn't get to explore the brutally practical crawling action I'd want. Badass telefragging bomb, though.
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

Had the chance to put in time with the XB360 remake of Perfect Dark. It's essentially what the game should have been, running on hardware that can handle it. Everything wonderful about the original game running at a silky smooth 60 FPS.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

The guy who introduced shmups to me, JWS.. wrote his personal journey with Body Harvest
JWS wrote:“Jesus H. Truly this game is the real hell.” was all my friend could say. I said goodbye to him, not knowing when, or if I would see him again. I trudged back to the train station, feeling like my whole life was encapsulated by the failure of being unable to finish a s***ty 20 year old game. Standing on the dark platform, I suddenly had the horrible fear that I would get mugged and someone would steal my priceless (to me) copy of the game. To them it would be a worthless s*** game for a console they had probably never heard of, but to me it would a disappointing end to a nearly 20 year journey.
:lol:
This was the last time we saw each other in person before he went back to his ascended weeb life in Japan

full text here if any of you degenerates care to read it: https://tinyurl.com/yxsplsqg
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Body Harvest is weird to me. Not the game itself, because I have no idea what it is, but the existence of it.

I never heard about it during the N64 era. Not a single word, no reviews, not even the name dropped, not appearing on sales listing, in magazines, on the internet, or anything. I'm sure it's been mentioned at least of course, but I've definitely never noticed it existing, unlike virtually every other game that came out here in the 90s because I'm such a big nerd.

Yet every single time I see N64 games for sales, any lots or larger listings, it's always there. It's probably more ubiquitous now than any other N64 game I've seen, but how did so many get sold? Did it have a ton of promotion that just never made its way to me, or did someone just dump a bargain bin at some point selling them at $1 a piece, which ended up spreading like the plague?
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

It was a rushed out unfinished PoS that was actually kind of amazing in its own right. 3rd person shooting action, open world, jump into vehicles and keep shooting - battling aliens through time in a ravaged earth.
Greece, Java, US, Russia etc.

Getting into a car and driving while firing, then fighting on foot when your car blows up - blew my mind as a kid.

Made by DMA design, the studio that would later become Rockstar North and make GTA3.
according to JWS the PAL release was especially buggy and it's apparently not emulated well. :|
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

You mean the creators of Unirally and Lemmings. :D
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

I think you mean th-

*puts e-penis away*
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

?
Sir Ilpalazzo

Post by Sir Ilpalazzo »

BareKnuckleRoo wrote:Had the chance to put in time with the XB360 remake of Perfect Dark. It's essentially what the game should have been, running on hardware that can handle it. Everything wonderful about the original game running at a silky smooth 60 FPS.
I was playing a lot of Perfect Dark a few months ago myself, and it did have me wanting to try the 360 version. The only thing I have misgivings about is that speedstrafing (moving your character with both the stick and c-buttons simultaneously) is a big part of the game, but it sounds like the 360 version's equivalent (holding your stick in a diagonal position) might be clunky and make it harder to move your character as efficiently as in the original game. Do you have any input on that?
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

Speedstrafing on the C Buttons is handy and I suppose if you're really obsessed with speedrunning the changed controls might annoy you. But I don't think the switch to a twinstick game has affected it negatively (once you turn down the way too high default sensitivity). You don't need that high speed strafing to enjoy and beat it, and apparently there is still a sweet spot on the analog stick's diagonal that can trigger speed strafing (it's tight though).
o.pwuaioc

Post by o.pwuaioc »

Herr Schatten wrote:With a crab buddy of that name, you could frequently use my favourite line of eurodance trash lyrics: "I'm as serious as Cancer when I say rhythm is a dancer."
Fun song, shit line. I could definitely do without the whole of Turbo B's verse though. I can never remember: he didn't write these lyrics (and he raps them atrociously), but he did for Power?