Are VR arcades worth it?

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
headlesshobbs

Are VR arcades worth it?

Post by headlesshobbs »

I'm wondering what are the opinions on these places because they're supposed to be the next wave in entertainment (3 years ago), yet they seem to be prohibitively expensive. This one place near me is running a package deal for one booth that starts at $20 for a 30 min session and I think that's well over budget compared to many of the PC and gaming centers I've been to in the past.

I've have another option where I'm looking at the PS:VR set and it's library of titles are starting to interest me a little. I just found out Wip3out has VR support and may want to try DOOM VFR.
"Don't HD my SD!!"
PC Engine Fan X!

Re: Are VR arcades worth it?

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

There's a local FEC (Family Entertainment Center) that has a VR rollercoaster setup complete with VR goggle headsets along with haptic force-feedback motion seats for that bit of extra immersion (although it's a mere $10 per session though -- of course, the drive to an amusement park with the real rollercoasters can't be beat these days with the insane acceleration rush and the effects of both positive & negative G-forces to contend with during such rides -- some rollercoasters subject the riders upwards of 4Gs or even 6Gs).

Some of the killer app PSVR titles worth checking out are Rez Infinite (with a small patch d/l to use it with the PSVR setup), Tetris Effect, Beat Saber, Ace Combat 7 and Gran Turismo Sport. If you can get a PSVR bundled set for roughly $250.00 USD, that's an excellent deal through and through imo. Tis a shame that Microsoft doesn't have a VR headset setup for use with the Xbox One/Xbox One X console though.

Nintendo has a VR set that goes by the name of "Nintendo Toy-Con 04: VR Kit - Starter Set + Blaster" (a DIY VR kit for use with the Nintendo Switch hybrid console/portable handheld).

Protip: Get the version 2 PSVR bundled set that comes with Skyrim as it has a better setup (with less wiring to contend with) compared to the original version 1 PSVR Worlds bundled setup released back on 1/30/2017.

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
it290

Post by it290 »

I couldn't really get down with DOOM VFR. It was cool to see the scale of some of the enemies (freakin' Cacodemons are YOOOGE), but the experience is pretty short overall and it lacks the satisfying quick kill mechanics of the main game. I also just really don't like games that rely on teleportation as a means of movement to reduce motion sickness; it's undoubtedly necessary given the frantic pace of DOOM movement, but it just kills the DOOMness for me.

The best experiences I've had on the PSVR so far have been the ones where you're essentially a giant being looking down on diorama where you're moving a character around, like Astro Bot Rescue Mission (killer app for the system by far), Trover Saves the Universe, and Moss. I would also say that it's a great way to experience Tetris Effect (which is an incredible game with our without VR) and driving stuff is also fun; I wish Gran Turismo had a full featured VR experience instead of the gimped arcade mode that we got.

edit: I second PC Engine Fan X!'s recommendation of Rez Infinite. Kind of uncanny how naturally the original game translates into VR, it's kind of like that Mizuguchi guy was a visionary or something.
We here shall not rest until we have made a drawing-room of your shaft, and if you do not all finally go down to your doom in patent-leather shoes, then you shall not go at all.
Classicgamer

Post by Classicgamer »

They have a VR driving game at the place I take my kid to. You have to buy tickets separately and I've never seen anyone use it.

I'd be interested if they made a VR arcade that let me fly like Ironman but I'd never get into paying $10+ for a game. I would pay the same as I'd pay for a regular arcade game and no more.