Anyone ever get the chance to play Witchaven back in the day

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
awbacon

Anyone ever get the chance to play Witchaven back in the day

Post by awbacon »

Did a video on it for my odd game series, but I absolutely love this one! A weird, quirky, fantasy horror themed fps with claymation enemies (at least I think its clay) some awesome weapons and music, and a great themed environment.

Definitely a forgotten 90's FPS. It has a sequel as well which improves slightly on the formula. But has anyone else ever played these? I feel like any time I mention it nobody remembers the game!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJCH1HC3j20
drauch

Re: Anyone ever get the chance to play Witchaven back in the

Post by drauch »

Yeah, I've put a bit of time into it in the past. I live for classic FPS. Glorious box art, but mines crammed on a shelf. I like what it's trying to do, but I think it's a wee too clunky to give it serious attention. Never tried out the sequel, but I plan on it one of these days.
BIL wrote: "Small sack, LOTS OF CUM" - Nikola Tesla
awbacon

Post by awbacon »

I've heard it described as clunky before. I feel like its one of those games that really needs a tighter first level. It just drops you in and you start playing. Considering the first level is one of the worst I feel like a lot of people probably never ventured too far into the game.
drauch

Post by drauch »

I could see that, yeah. Nice video, definitely makes me want to pick it back up again. I've been slowly going through King's Field and Shadow Warrior expansions this year, so this will be a nice companion piece.
awbacon

Post by awbacon »

I need to play Shadow Warrior again. Next on my list though is Ion Fury. Modern FPS in a a classic engine from 3D Realms...TAKE MY MONEY! Reviews make it sound pretty awesome
drauch

Post by drauch »

Yeah, it's great. It's absolutely gorgeous. I've been going slow at it and just taking it all in. Being able to headshot in build engine is a dream. :mrgreen:
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Ion Fury does sound neat, but I heard there was some outrage over a change to the game (which I heard is very minor, but unnecessary).
drauch

Post by drauch »

Yes, it was blown up to be the latest in 4chan review bombing because nobody cares to read anything for themselves, then review sites perpetuate that the entire game has been censored and pitchforks are out and refunds en masse. You can read the details for yourself why it happened because I don't care or want to get into it. All they changed was a small bottle of shampoo that said "OGAY" on it instead of "OLAY", and an out of bounds, noclip-only texture. That's it. I'm almost done with the game and I haven't even seen these things, but according to everyone I shouldn't support the company anymore and should ask for a refund. Good god, this is madness.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Yeah, I definitely plan to buy the game, though I might wait for a console port.
cave hermit

Post by cave hermit »

The changes being made to the game aren't that big of a deal to me, but what bothers me is the outrage culture that led to the change, and the way 3D Realms handled it overall. Guess you could say this is a new era for the worse.

That said, I'm still on the fence about buying it, as I'm in a bit of a boomer sort of mood. I've actually been playing a ton of Duke Nukem 3D and Blood lately (check out "nBlood" if you haven't heard about it, really great recent source port for Blood built off of eDuke32), beat Blood's main 4 episodes and I'm working on polishing off Duke's second episode (I beat episodes one and three first since I didn't particularly care for the space levels). I still need to give Shadow Warrior another go, I rage quit that on the 4th level after I accidentally quick saved over a bottomless pit, heh.

I have to say, I feel like Blood might actually be my favorite of the Build engine trilogy, the way you run and jump around, point blanking cultists and zombies with sawed offs and throwing TNT bundles so they land in the middle of enemy hordes, the incessant chatter of the cultists (CRUDUX CRUO! AAAAAAH! AAAAAAAAAAAAH! CRUO STRAGANA MALAXOS!), it's all so satisfying.
drauch

Post by drauch »

Yeah, Blood is definitely my favorite. Nightdive also just did a new release of Blood, Blood: Fresh Supply, that ups the resolution and other improvements. It had some problems at first, but they've been pretty responsive with listening and getting that fixed from what I've read. Haven't given it a shot myself, but glad to see it getting some love.
rapoon

Post by rapoon »

Good review OP.

Never played Witchaven, but I distinctly remember it because of the Frazetta Death Dealer inspired artwork. The First-Person genre is in short supply of hack and slash dungeon crawlers; still disappointed Techland dumped Hellraid to work on a Dying Light.

I'd like to see Blood 2 get a makeover. Gameplay wasn't the best in the series, but it has some of the most eclectic weaponry of any FPS: The Orb, Voodoo Doll, and Singularity Generator. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: