He-man games

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
WelshMegalodon

Re: He-man games

Post by WelshMegalodon »

Classicgamer wrote:That's the same with most early 3d stuff. It was exciting tech at the time as 3d polygon graphics at home was new. BTW, that was not an invite for someone to talk about Star Fox on the Snes.
WelshMegalodon wrote:As for N64, today's kids regularly forget that games like Dungeons of Daggorath and Total Eclipse existed, so they immediately label it and its contemporaries as the 3D equivalent of Atari, which is just plain stupid.
Though to be fair, Dungeons of Daggorath doesn't actually have polygons. Elite, Mercenary, and The Sentinel, on the other hand...
Indie hipsters: "Arcades are so dead"
Finite Continues? Ain't that some shit.
RBelmont wrote:A little math shows that if you overclock a Pi3 to about 3.4 GHz you'll start to be competitive with PCs from 2002. And you'll also set your house on fire
Classicgamer

Post by Classicgamer »

Yup, labeling the N64 as the 3d equivalent of the Atari 2600 would be stupid. That crown obviously belongs to the Atari Jaguar. A truly awful machine.

In fact, there were a number of terrible consoles at that time. The NEC PCFX and the 3D0 also spring to mind.
Steamflogger Boss

Post by Steamflogger Boss »

Interestingly enough in my book the PCFX has about as many games worth playing today as the N64. The PC-FX itself isn't bad and had potential it just died in a fire super early.
WelshMegalodon

Post by WelshMegalodon »

I think more people would like the PC-FX if they knew what it was in the first place.

I'd be open to recommendations since I don't think even HG101 talks about the PC-FX much. I know it has Pia Carrot, a Farland Story, and a port of Der Langrisser, but that's it.
Indie hipsters: "Arcades are so dead"
Finite Continues? Ain't that some shit.
RBelmont wrote:A little math shows that if you overclock a Pi3 to about 3.4 GHz you'll start to be competitive with PCs from 2002. And you'll also set your house on fire
Obiwanshinobi

Post by Obiwanshinobi »

BrianC wrote:A text based adventure game, the previously mentioned platform game, and a game based on the movie.
Did I like the live action movie just fine. Watched in the rampant internet piracy days, LONG time after the cartoon's being all the rage. Wasn't Moebius involved, somehow?
The rear gate is closed down
The way out is cut off

Steamflogger Boss

WelshMegalodon wrote:I think more people would like the PC-FX if they knew what it was in the first place.

I'd be open to recommendations since I don't think even HG101 talks about the PC-FX much. I know it has Pia Carrot, a Farland Story, and a port of Der Langrisser, but that's it.
Kishin Douji Zenki and Zeroigar.
Herr Schatten

Post by Herr Schatten »

Obiwanshinobi wrote:Did I like the live action movie just fine. Watched in the rampant internet piracy days, LONG time after the cartoon's being all the rage. Wasn't Moebius involved, somehow?
Iirc, he wasn‘t involved directly, but they used some of the designs he had created for Jodorowsky‘s Dune adaptation that never got made. It‘s fascinating where bits and pieces of that project ended up later. If you haven‘t, go watch the documentary about the thing, fittingly titled Jodorowsky‘s Dune. It‘s very interesting.
Last edited by Herr Schatten on Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BIL

Post by BIL »

I hate the live action movie, it killed CANNON FILMS :evil:

Kidding, they were fucked anyway Image

btw everybody watch this
Classicgamer

Post by Classicgamer »

Steamflogger Boss wrote:Interestingly enough in my book the PCFX has about as many games worth playing today as the N64. The PC-FX itself isn't bad and had potential it just died in a fire super early.
That made me giggle (a little). All consoles have potential when newly released. They wouldn't get released if certain failure was assumed. But, if they don't live up to that potential, it's a bad console. We don't give them a break because they might have been good if things were done differently.

As far as I know, there isn't a single good game on that system. Hard to believe NEC went from the hugely popular PC Engine (in Japan) with an awesome library to that thing.
Steamflogger Boss

Well I listed two that are definitely worth playing. Chip Chan Kick is quite fun as well. I will amend that statement to say that it has more games (probably around 7-10) that I would play in 2019 than the N64 does. In the last 5 years I would bet I have more play time on the PC-FX than the N64 by a large margin. Lifetime would be the N64 since I had a lot of hours on that when it was the hot new thing.

Have you played much of the PC-FX game library?
Classicgamer

Post by Classicgamer »

Steamflogger Boss wrote:Well I listed two that are definitely worth playing. Chip Chan Kick is quite fun as well. I will amend that statement to say that it has more games (probably around 7-10) that I would play in 2019 than the N64 does. In the last 5 years I would bet I have more play time on the PC-FX than the N64 by a large margin. Lifetime would be the N64 since I had a lot of hours on that when it was the hot new thing.

Have you played much of the PC-FX game library?
I wouldn't say much. Last time I saw one was at a trade show in the 90's. You're in a very small group as fans of that system are very rare. You are the only one I ever encountered.

Chip Chan Kick definitely has the Japanese game weirdness. I'll give you that. There aren't many platform games where you throw Pac Man's eyes at walking toasters. I'm still going to give that system a miss though. It's one to try on an emulator out of morbid curiosity at best.

If I was going to spend silly money on an obsolete NEC console, I'd go for a PC Engine laptop. I always wanted one for some reason.
Steamflogger Boss

I wouldn't even say I'm a fan of the system so much as the N64 is that bad. Less than 10 games is barely a reason to own one which is why I don't anymore (I'd agree emulation is the way to go). I have an N64 but only because it's not worth the trouble to sell, I have zero games for it. *shrug*
Obiwanshinobi

Post by Obiwanshinobi »

Wow, I wouldn't know He-Man had his own thread on here. In which case, here I am, present, albeit without much new to say, I guess. Nevertheless, witness my chest.
Herr Schatten wrote:
Obiwanshinobi wrote:Did I like the live action movie just fine. Watched in the rampant internet piracy days, LONG time after the cartoon's being all the rage. Wasn't Moebius involved, somehow?
Iirc, he wasn‘t involved directly, but they used some of the designs he had created for Jodorowsky‘s Dune adaptation that never got made. It‘s fascinating where bits and pieces of that project ended up later. If you haven‘t, go watch the documentary about the thing, fittingly titled Jodorowsky‘s Dune. It‘s very interesting.
Now, I do consider myself somewhat silly. Thanks for that. I've also heard some pretty fascinating rumours about early Incal film project against Star Wars as we've grown to know it.
The rear gate is closed down
The way out is cut off