Official / Genuine PS3 controller

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
Leader Bee

Official / Genuine PS3 controller

Post by Leader Bee »

I'm in the market to replace my PS3 controller and I've previously bought "genuine" ones from Amazon which were far from being legit; anyone here know where I can get hold of one? Preferably brand new
The universe is neither hostile nor friendly, simply indifferent.

Even without my umbillical cable attached I still have over 12,000 plates of fortified armour AND I have my AT Field! There's NO WAY I can lose!!
Shelcoof

Re: Official / Genuine PS3 controller

Post by Shelcoof »

Man this is scary. A lot of my PS3 controllers are either broken or the batteries don't hold a charge. I've been looking around for a controller myself and most of them aren't official
Steamflogger Boss

Post by Steamflogger Boss »

Leader Bee wrote:I'm in the market to replace my PS3 controller and I've previously bought "genuine" ones from Amazon which were far from being legit; anyone here know where I can get hold of one? Preferably brand new
I was all set to give you answers but then saw you were in the UK. Do retailers there not still carry them?
Shelcoof wrote:Man this is scary. A lot of my PS3 controllers are either broken or the batteries don't hold a charge. I've been looking around for a controller myself and most of them aren't official
It's definitely a big problem. Worth stocking up if you like PS3... I have 5 or 6.
Shelcoof

Post by Shelcoof »

Steamflogger Boss wrote:
Shelcoof wrote:Man this is scary. A lot of my PS3 controllers are either broken or the batteries don't hold a charge. I've been looking around for a controller myself and most of them aren't official
It's definitely a big problem. Worth stocking up if you like PS3... I have 5 or 6.
I love the PS3. Stocked up on both controllers and consoles. I have like between 19-25 PS3 controllers.

About only 4 of those controllers are working and those are the newer ones I broke out after the others giving me issues.
Steamflogger Boss

Dayum, are most of them fake? I have only oem ds3s and I've never had one break or quit working right.
Shelcoof

Post by Shelcoof »

Nope all genuine. Most of them have dead batteries. A few of them have sync issues. If your surprised with how many PS3 controllers I have I have more PS2 controllers lol.

I guess honestly though the Dual Shock 3 all held up pretty well over the years. I should probably just replace the batteries lol. I'm just overly cautious when doing so as I don't want my house to burn down with 3rd party batteries.

Out of the Playstation controllers the Dual Shock 3 are by far the most durable. Worst is the PS4. I've had 4 PS4 controllers actually break on me within a year.
Steamflogger Boss

That's wild. Never had one of those batteries die yet. You might play much more than me but I have played a lot.

My biggest issue with the DS4 is the battery life. They do seem more frail but I'm careful and some years back I learned my lesson about washing my hands before starting a gaming session. Then every hour or so I wash them again. I used to wear off the grips from my skin oil but no more.
Shelcoof

Post by Shelcoof »

DS4 have very poor analogue sticks that break easily. They start drifting and not responding. I was surprised that they were worse than the PS3 Analogue sticks.

Yes and I use to play a lot of PS3. Back in the days it was MW2 non stop :)
Leader Bee

Post by Leader Bee »

Just ended up getting an unnoficial wired one. My biggest problem was the batteries not holding a charge for very long but that won't be an issue now.
The universe is neither hostile nor friendly, simply indifferent.

Even without my umbillical cable attached I still have over 12,000 plates of fortified armour AND I have my AT Field! There's NO WAY I can lose!!
gct

Post by gct »

I had two controllers that didn't respond, that came with a 2nd-hand PS3 a while back.

You can get replacement batteries for them fairly easily, but I was able to recondition the batteries with a hobby charger and they have been working fine and will hold a charge for a few months of non-use. I don't use them so I just need to plug them in every few months, or recondition the batteries again.
Shelcoof

Post by Shelcoof »

gct wrote:I had two controllers that didn't respond, that came with a 2nd-hand PS3 a while back.

You can get replacement batteries for them fairly easily, but I was able to recondition the batteries with a hobby charger and they have been working fine and will hold a charge for a few months of non-use. I don't use them so I just need to plug them in every few months, or recondition the batteries again.
I have a smart charger as well. I guess I can try that now that you mention it
pegboy

Post by pegboy »

sixaxis > ds3. d-pad is FAR superior and I don't give a fuck about analogue stick since I only use it for shmups.