Super Mario Maker 2 stages

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
Sumez

Super Mario Maker 2 stages

Post by Sumez »

By the request of ryu, let's share our Mario Maker 2 stages. Or any interesting ones found in the wild also goes I guess?
Reportedly a quirk in the algorithm that pushes stages to people causes a stage to get immediately buried if no one gives it a "like", so hopefully we can help eachother out. I'll try to play everything posted here and give them a push.

I think I was AWOL during the old Mario Maker thread, but either way it makes sense with a separate one for this game, right?

And just to avoid starting out by plugging myself, I'll kick it off with the stage ryu posted in "the non-shmup thread":
ryu wrote: Post the ID, I'm curious. Agreed that making easy stages is difficult.

Here's one of my IDs PHF-J03-3LF
Will check it out once I'm back home later today. :)
Vexorg

Re: Super Mario Maker 2 stages

Post by Vexorg »

Picked up the game a couple of days go, haven't posted anything yet but I'm currently working on a troll level as time permits.
We want you, save our planet!
Xbox Live: Vexorg | The Sledgehammer - Version 2.0
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

ryu wrote: Here's one of my IDs PHF-J03-3LF
It's really nice to see Mario Maker stages that just feel like really solid classic Mario stages, without annoying gimmicks.
I also think you managed to create a very easy stage that's still fun to play. While that might not sound like much of a compliment, as we talked about, easy stages are actually really hard to make. Tried a few of your other stages, and you seem to have a really nice standard going.

Here's my own first stage:

15M-YWG-X3G in case the image doesn't stay up.

I tried going for a themed basic platformer stage, but I think I kind of overreached myself. The stage drags on longer than it needs to, and people have already pointed out some issues, such as an invisible block that was intended to help the player, that's actually caused a few deaths.
I also tried making it easy, but it has a clear rate of less than 2% right now >_>
szycag

Post by szycag »

Posted a small clip of playing the first level I've made in the game on the title screen on Twitter.

https://twitter.com/szycaxxxyz/status/1 ... 5873677312

It's called "Hot, Cold..." I just wanted to make a no BS Mario stage with some of the new features. I should have really put a midpoint somewhere. It only has 2 clears out of 30 attempts, and one like. I suppose it would scare off people trying to ration their lives in the endless challenge modes, but I don't feel like I put anything too demanding in it. Open to criticism, want to make a tough vertical level next. Maybe like a Mt. Everest theme. Also want to play some good clown car shooting levels but seems a little more challenging than just making a platformer, to make a GOOD one that is.

RX7-87V-V0G
That is Galactic Dancing
ryu

Post by ryu »

Thanks for the feedback. I was worried my stages would be too easy to be fun. Watched a friend play some of them and he didn't seem excited.

Yeah Sumez your stage is really difficult. I needed more than 10 attempts and a break in between lol. Not much leeway for error (that vine climb alone) and the most annoying enemies the editor has to offer all over. Liked in so far that I really wanted to beat it - although it really annoyed me.

I just wanted to make a no BS Mario stage
So why that thwomp at the end? >_>
blog - scores - collection
Don't worry about it. You can travel from the Milky Way to Andromeda and back 1500 times before the sun explodes.
szycag

Post by szycag »

Point taken there. If you slide down the hill it's meaningless, but still doesn't need to be there. When you pointed that out yeah, it seems BS/Amateur.

I liked both your levels a lot. I'm really partial to the level Sumez put up though, I love SMB3 and the airship style is one of my favorites. My first level in the original SMM was a SMB3 Airship. Putting the mushrooms on a separate path is smart, so you're not going to get the best time if you're worried about taking a hit. Clearly that vine climb is a hard smack to the face, and you didn't have a lot of screen real estate to scope out what the pattern was doing, all while dodging Bowser fireballs that piled up if you hesitated. The level on the whole was so gratifying though, and getting up that is like a breath of fresh air. The time I did make it was when I managed to keep a mushroom up to that point I think. I want to go back and try to get a better time.

ryu's level was smart too, like putting in the Paratroopa platforms for a quicker way ahead. People really under-utilize the Hammer Bros. and you used them well.

I think I'm nearly done with the story mode, so it will be back to the drawing board soon.
That is Galactic Dancing
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

I made a SML inspired course. LRJ-WDX-NMG. I tried Sumez, Sycag, and Ryu's courses. I got all the way to Bowser in Sumez's course, but haven't beat it yet. Nice course. Scycag's course was very tricky with some nice touches. I haven't beaten it yet. I also enjoyed Ryu's course and the use of Hammer Brothers.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Thanks a lot for the feedback!
The final vine climb is probably the first thing I'd remove if I were to go back and change things. I didn't test it thoroughly, and it's way too unfair and RNG heavy.
I really just wanted you to climb through Bowser's fireballs, and if the other obstacles weren't there to hold you back, most people would be climbing past the bowsers before even seeing them.

Uploaded a couple more stages now:

005-F48-85G
A pretty short stage, just a standard timed platforming challenge based on P switches, intended as a speedrun challenge. If you time the second-to-last run on the stage well, you can reach a shortcut that will skip the last one.

8BL-QNK-J5G
My first attempt at making an easy stage, with plenty of mushrooms along the way to add some leeway.
Probably still made it a little too long though, I'll really have to work on that. I kind of burned out on it before finishing it, hope it still plays alright.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

szycag wrote: It's called "Hot, Cold..." I just wanted to make a no BS Mario stage with some of the new features. I should have really put a midpoint somewhere. It only has 2 clears out of 30 attempts, and one like. I suppose it would scare off people trying to ration their lives in the endless challenge modes, but I don't feel like I put anything too demanding in it. Open to criticism, want to make a tough vertical level next. Maybe like a Mt. Everest theme. Also want to play some good clown car shooting levels but seems a little more challenging than just making a platformer, to make a GOOD one that is.

RX7-87V-V0G
So much stuff going on all at once in this stage. That's a very Mario Maker'y thing, but I love it, and I really want to make something along those lines.
Tried speedrunning the stage but got cut off in the boom-boom room way too much, so gave up on that.

Is there a way to make it to the pipe blocked by ice blocks with the red goomba shoe? I have a feeling there's a secret hidden there...
BrianC wrote:I made a SML inspired course. LRJ-WDX-NMG.
I love stages that just feel like classic Mario, like this does. I had no idea you could pick up coins using the super ball... this definitely gives me an interesting idea for a stage.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Too bad SML specific enemies aren't available. I would love to make a level with those Chinese zombies. I find it interesting that the Galoombas (the new official US name for that type of Goomba) are available for use in the SMB1 style. SML also used a Goomba variant that was latter renamed to Goombo in the US (the original manual used the Japanese name of Chibibo). I also remember "little goomba" being thrown around, but I'm not sure from where.

edit: Those aren't Galoombas in the SMB1 style, those are the Goombrats from New SMBU. doh. There's also a new SMW variant called Goombud.
szycag

Post by szycag »

Is there a way to make it to the pipe blocked by ice blocks with the red goomba shoe? I have a feeling there's a secret hidden there...
Nope, just a design quirk. Regarding the Boom Boom room, I lure them both to the left so I can quickly hit the invisible block and get out of there. I intended it to be a skippable fight, to the point you should try to escape right away.

Just feigning sleep right now but I totally intend to play all these new ones tomorrow after work. I also would have loved to see some SML enemies even if only as variants, like the exploding troopas. The Superball is so cool isn't it? I was psyched because of the fan service at first, then I realized all the creative stuff it can do.
That is Galactic Dancing
ryu

Post by ryu »

sorry, it had to be done
https://blog.tohya.net/uploads/images/m ... b57ffb.jpg

3TR-B17-RXG
blog - scores - collection
Don't worry about it. You can travel from the Milky Way to Andromeda and back 1500 times before the sun explodes.