Orange Island ★ new NES action adventure game

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
FinalBaton

Orange Island ★ new NES action adventure game

Post by FinalBaton »

Looks Legacy of the Wizard-ish. Super charming pastely graphics, really passes the japanesu-dev test regarding it's animation and graphics. I'll be keeping a close eye on this one.

The game is already funded via KS but there's a stretch goal of physical NES carts that can be attained.

KS link:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/vo ... nd?lang=fr

Daria's insightful review of the Orange Island demo she played:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PsAA3bOFTCs

There's a very short playable demo on the game's official website. does not reflect the final game as said on there, and Daria in her review says we can probably expect a higher difficulty and better balance and even more use of the character's unique abilities in the later levels.
https://www.orangeislandgame.com/demo/

-FM Synth & Black Metal-
BrianC

Re: Orange Island ★ new NES action adventure game

Post by BrianC »

Looks interesting, but according to that KS page, the main development platform is not NES and the port will be handled by a different developer if the stretch goal is reached.
kitten

Post by kitten »

this is kinda cute but i kinda wish it was just an action game :< god fucking damn am i sick of games with wandering
~Imagination and memory are but one thing, which for diverse considerations have diverse names~
Image | Image
~*~*~*~*~*~* If there's a place that I could be ~ Then I'd be another memory *~*~*~*~*~*~
WelshMegalodon

Post by WelshMegalodon »

kitten wrote:this is kinda cute but i kinda wish it was just an action game :< god fucking damn am i sick of games with wandering

Gotta please the "muh replay value" crowd.

Is anyone else getting Super Game Boy vibes from the single-color sprites? I do like that about it.
Indie hipsters: "Arcades are so dead"
Finite Continues? Ain't that some shit.
RBelmont wrote:A little math shows that if you overclock a Pi3 to about 3.4 GHz you'll start to be competitive with PCs from 2002. And you'll also set your house on fire
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

kitten wrote:this is kinda cute but i kinda wish it was just an action game :< god fucking damn am i sick of games with wandering
I wrote exactly that on here last month in either the vania or sidescrolling thread : too many metroidvanias' and adventure games in the indies. Not enough pure-action RTTRKMFs (Sumez's hypothesis was that a good RTTRKMF is a lot harder to make, game-design wise, than a good Metroidvania. Which is true. It's also some kind of a lost art, too)
WelshMegalodon wrote:Is anyone else getting Super Game Boy vibes from the single-color sprites? I do like that about it.
Absolutely! and yes I really dig it too
Last edited by FinalBaton on Sun Jun 30, 2019 2:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
cicada88

Post by cicada88 »

I only want this if it is an NES game. Am I wrong thinking this is a pretty huge uptaking to port this to the NES? Is it being designed/programmed
in such a way from the get go?

I just don't want to put up the money and have an inferior novelty port or for it to even get canceled.

Definitely liking the screenshots though.

I probably should just go watch all the videos and read the details :)
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

cicada88 wrote:I only want this if it is an NES game. Am I wrong thinking this is a pretty huge uptaking to port this to the NES? Is it being designed/programmed
in such a way from the get go?

I just don't want to put up the money and have an inferior novelty port or for it to even get canceled.

Definitely liking the screenshots though.

I probably should just go watch all the videos and read the details :)
One of the KS tiers is to fund production of NES cartridges. Also in one vid I saw, people were testing the game at a convention and had an NES pad in their hands(could have been hooked up to a PC though). There's also an NES prototype cart on the official site (or KS page? can't remember), so looks like it's developped as an NES game, but emulated+upscaled/ported for PS4 and Steam. The KS stretch goal seems to be for the mass production of NES cartridge, not for the development of an NES port. At least that's what I understood, maybe I'm wrong :?

EDIT : they mention "a game for PC/Mac and NES" on KS page, but they also take about an "NES port" further down the page. so I'm confused now :lol:
maybe it was coded as a current gen game, but designed in a way that an exact NES port will be possible?
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
Steamflogger Boss

Post by Steamflogger Boss »

FinalBaton wrote:
I wrote exactly that on here last month in either the vania or sidescrolling thread : too many metroidvanias' and adventure games in the indies. Not enough pure-action RTTRKMFs (Sumez's hypothesis was that a good RTTRKMF is a lot harder to game, game-design wise, than a good Metroidvania. Which is true. It's also some kind of a lost art, too)
WelshMegalodon wrote:Is anyone else getting Super Game Boy vibes from the single-color sprites? I do like that about it.
Absolutely! and yes I really dig it too
I am too drunk to comprehend this acronym.
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

Steamflogger Boss wrote:I am too drunk to comprehend this acronym.
:lol:

Ol' BIL's cherished acronym for adrenaline-fueled action sidescrollers : Run To The Right Killing Motherfuckers,
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
spmbx

Post by spmbx »

Apart from the sound driver and screen resolution/pallette there doesn’t seem to be anything NES in the development. I don’t have too much fate that they’ll be able to farm this out to a third party for a few thousand and end up with a proper product.
Also, weird to profile yourself with your SEGA credentials and make a nes-ish game