What makes Rainbow Cotton worse then Panorama Cotton??...

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
dave4shmups

What makes Rainbow Cotton worse then Panorama Cotton??...

Post by dave4shmups »

I just tried out Panorama on an emulator today, and I loved it. Evidently plenty of others do as well, so why the lack of love for Rainbow Cotton? They look like they both have the same style of gameplay. I have read complaints that the witch in Rainbow blocks out enemies, but that happens even in Panorama at times. And as for the centering issue, Axelay has this, does it not?
"Farewell to false pretension
Farewell to hollow words
Farewell to fake affection
Farewell, tomorrow burns"
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

No, Axelay isn't even in a third person view. It most certainly does not have that centering issue. It's like the Shenmue/Shenmue II Space Harrier played with analog. The Harrier automatically moves to the middle of the screen after moving him. I play it with the pad for instead for that very reason. It may sound like a minor problem, but rubber band control makes it very hard to get in the right position to hit or avoid enemies. Unlike Space Harrier, there is supposedly no way around the auto centering control in Rainbow Cotton.

Oops, I tried the rom and Axelay does auto center, but it's not much of a problem in that particalar game.
Last edited by BrianC on Sun Feb 20, 2005 4:36 am, edited 2 times in total.
Super Laydock

Post by Super Laydock »

BrianC wrote:No, Axelay isn't even in a third person view. It most certainly does not have that centering issue. It's like the Shenmue/Shenmue II Space Harrier played with analog. The Harrier automatically moves to the middle of the screen after moving him. I play it with the pad for instead for that very reason. It may sound like a minor problem, but rubber band control makes it very hard to get in the right position to hit or avoid enemies. Unlike Space Harrier, there is supposedly no way around the auto centering control in Rainbow Cotton.
I totally agree! The controls/perspective make it VERY frustrating to try and hit/avoid things in this game.
I am keeping it only because I think the game is absolutely gorgeous and want to see it once in a while... :)
Barroom hero!
Bathroom hero!
TWITCHDOCTOR

Post by TWITCHDOCTOR »

"Self Centered" shmups...don't care much for em.
That would also include the likes of RayStorm. Although RayCrisis isn't nearly as annoying.

I never played that version of Space Harrier. I have both, Part 1 on the Turbo Grafx and SHII for the Genesis...I couldn't imagine playing those games with the character constantly returning to the center.
Skyline

Post by Skyline »

Add in the fact that Cotton's character model is pretty big.

So most of what's happening towards the center of the playing area is blocked out of view by Cotton's ass. :/
Herr Schatten

Post by Herr Schatten »

Skyline wrote:So most of what's happening towards the center of the playing area is blocked out of view by Cotton's ass. :/
There are worse things I can imagine blocking my view. :wink: