Electrophoretic displays (eReaders, etc)

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
JBC

Electrophoretic displays (eReaders, etc)

Post by JBC »

I ordered a Boyue Likebook Mimas from Good eReader a month ago but there was a shortage so it hasn't shipped yet. This will be my first eReader & after all the research I've done it looks like it was the best choice I could make. Let me know if I'm wrong. I'm mostly planning on using it's annotation function for Genki I & II, but I managed to get digital backups of nearly my entire hardback collection as well.

Color E-ink devices are coming soon & Onyx already has a model being used in Chinese schools as well as digital signage. I can easily imagine this being great for comic books, magazines, & visual encyclopedias. There are also wearable devices using the tech. It all looks pretty promising.
Last edited by JBC on Mon Apr 22, 2019 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Godzilla was an inside job
Xyga

Re: eReaders

Post by Xyga »

I use Calibre on my laptop. :oops:

:arrow:
Strikers1945guy wrote:"Do we....eat chicken balls?!"
JBC

Post by JBC »

Ha, I was just using Caliber last night to read Bullfrog's Official Guide to Magic Carpet 1 & 2. World 6 was a b*tch but now I know what I'm doing :lol:
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

I use EReaders for comics. For my PC I use YACReader. And for my tablet (which runs on Windows), I use Cover. It's not free, but it's cheap.

I'm not sure what's best for Apple products.

I'm not sure if YACReader has added touch screen capabilities yet to the program. I would have it on my tablet, if so. I just remember when I was setting it up, they hadn't done it yet.

EDIT: I think it does now.
JBC

Re: Electrophoretic displays (eReaders, etc)

Post by JBC »

I'm using a cheap & janky Amazon Fire for comics right now. Its not the best by any means but I figured I would just buy something minimally functional while I wait for color e-ink to hit the market.

I'm not a fan of the glossy pages and digital coloring techniques that took over the comics industry in the 90's. Bad computer coloring can really ruin an artist's work & the more expensive paper quality somehow makes a book feel cheaper than traditional newsprint. I really can't stand it & didn't buy a physical comic for 10 years until backing Ethan Van Sciver's new Cyberfrog comic (for entirely different reasons)

I think the looming color E-ink devices will alleviate some of the problems with modern comics & I can't wait to see what they are like on that type of screen.
Domino

Re: Electrophoretic displays (eReaders, etc)

Post by Domino »

8BA wrote:I think the looming color E-ink devices will alleviate some of the problems with modern comics & I can't wait to see what they are like on that type of screen.
That is going to help my eyes so much once Color E-Ink hit the market. Comics will be the biggest benefit.

For the times that I read comics and manga I have the Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 with the Kindle/Comixology apps installed. Works great but still have some of of the major issues to me on a LCD screen:

*Glare that tireds out/hurts my eyes.
*Hurts my head due to looking at a screen for too long.

So while it's great, I don't like to read stuff on it for too long.

My first gen Kindle Oasis with the six in screen plus its battery/cover is great. Amazing for books and doesn't hurt my eyes, great battery like like the rest of the Kindle lineup. It also fits in my butt pocket with ease. Downside is it's only good for books and light novels. I wouldn't use it for Manga due to smaller screen size and slow page turning.

The current Kindle Oasis while put the whole battery in the unit, changed the back of the unit from plastic to Aluminum. While this version is waterproof and have a lot more storage than my current model, it's screen size went from 6" to 7" makes it almost impossible to fit it in a butt pocket plus holding the unit with the Aluminum backing makes it cold. Also, it doesn't come with a cover unlike the last gen Kindle. Texts looks great due to 12 LEDs in the Oasis and it feels very refined. However, I think the current Kindle Paperweight is the better deal for the price since the current Oasis with the smallest size and special offers is $250.